Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Scarkim

Role Playing Information

a part of “Scarkim”, a fictional universe by Red Guardian.

The nations of Scarkim are on the brink of war, with this fact staring them in the face, they turn to their most abundant resource Mediere; a synthetic object holding endless possibilities for the wielder.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Scarkim”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Role Playing Information

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:51 am

I have created an additional OOC topic that allows me to update you with decisions, and updates that I have made regarding Scarkim. Also I will mention new ideas here that I am contemplation and would love feedback to ensure you receive the best possible RP experience.

The first thought I had was refilling your Mediere. This is a tricky concept because only having a limited amount of Mediere that can be used each combat instance means that Mediere will be a very valuable resource. I was going to implement a system when you went to markets or towns you could get Mediere crystals of your specific type and absorb them to refill your Mediere base. The problem with this theory is logically with the countries on the brink of war, (even if they weren't) they would not be trading Mediere to allow other countries to utilize what it is that makes that country different. So my second solution is to make markets in your home country allow refills of your Mediere. This is a problem because i want everyone to explore what Scarkim has to offer and not stay local for the resource. The third option is that i expand all players starting Mediere base to 10-15, still keeping a cap on number of uses per combat instances at 5. (the logic behind this is that Mediere is too physically taxing to use more.) This would allow players to extend travels and be comfortable knowing a few combat instances could arise that they would be prepared for.

Do not forget you also have the weapons you start with, so depending on the character you aren't useless without your Mediere or at least most of your aren't =).

This is a tough Decision all feedback will be taken into advisement please post how you feel!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Role Playing Information

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circa on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Okay, well here's what I can say about the issue,

first: I'm still not 100% about all this but mediere seems to me to be a resource that can come from a wide variety of otherwise naturally occurring elements and resources, plants predators fire water etc..
Yes it should be valuable, expensive or hard to get to some degree but not a ridiculous tooth-pulling amount. Countries on the brink of war will actually look at this in a number of ways that don't just include "I shouldn't share my resource." Mediere will most likely be traded:

-Publicly with allies

-on the black market for more exorbitant prices

-with anyone [even enemies] if the price is right [war needs funding, but then again some people's ethics will stop them from doing so]

-Mediere will most likely still remain concentrated in the areas where it is most abundant and frequently harvested.

-Trade embargoes and quotas are likely, similar to real life.

-Some peoples may be more or less capable at harvesting Mediere

-Mediere would probably not just be sold on the street no matter how widely used it is, I assume this because it seems valuable, and possibly dangerous in the wrong hands, maybe in certain areas you need a license or permit to acquire it.

I agree, I want to spend time exploring the land and perhaps even searching for special medieres. Perhaps it can be more available at first and then become less available as the war escalates or draws nearer. {perhaps some have never been found at all!}

Lastly, If it is popular opinion to increase base mediere by all means do it, it doesn't meant that all mediere will be used in combat y'know. Here's my problem with it, Mediere seems to me to be like magic kinda; if people are running around using it willy nilly and it is common-place then it is likely to take the mysticism right out of an other-wise great plot device.
just my opinion, thanks
~circa
Sweating doesn't do justice and little drops of salty water.
So tearing off my skin I feel my body burning up again.
Thought this coverless existence would leave me breathing or exposed
with no face to face with outside pain and burning are new skins
Searching for your friends! RIP OFF MY SKIN! TEAR OFF MY SKIN!
I feel me burning up again! -Moi

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Circa
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:59 pm

The reason the countries were created so differently when it came to there habitat because I wanted to each country to have a different combat Mediere approach. Only having one or two types of Mediere in each country ends up playing into the politics that I choose not to include in the introduction because i didn't want to overwhelm people with the story idea. xD Dasoon is a country that most other countries want to take over, not only the endless supply of storm clouds, but just the strength and diversity of the Storm Mediere would give any country the edge they need over the other countries.

The problem with getting Mediere from a friend or an average market is that even though Mediere can be found in most objects on Scarkim, for the human body to accept it, it must first be synthesized. Allowing characters to be able to synthesize the raw Mediere would as we discussed take the mysticism out of the plot because people could just refill after every fight etc... I do appreciate such detailed insight on how you see Mediere!

Mediere is crystals that literally sink into your skin and your body stores it. I would allow if some one carried around their Mediere in a satchel and absorbed before used or conflict for that specific friend or ally to share but for the most part I kind of wanted Mediere to be thought of as an important resource that many need to use strategically instead going crazy with it.

I have decided regardless on how you refill your Mediere or what conclusion we come to I am raising the Mediere base. This is due to the simply fact Fighting is encouraged. It is not necessary there is room for passive characters, but with countries on the brink of war I want the characters to know they can utilize their specialties (and OOC see what it's like to battle with weapons and Mediere)

The Mediere bade raise will be posted in other sections to inform new commers but the Mediere base will now be raised to 15 unique uses (attacks, and even passive uses of your Mediere such as starting a fire with count towards this number. I am still debating if i should have people list how much Mediere they have left after each post of maybe i will simply closely monitor it so important information like that is not available to your opponent. Nothing like catching them off guard!

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cazuki on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Personally i think, though it may be slightly convulted, is that maybe, using the idea of the satchel we have a 'satchel inventory system'.
Think for example in Legend of Zelda you start out with a small wallet then can buy larger installments to hold more ruppees. This kind of concept can be used in that each character has a satchel in the start that is used to hold, money, mediere and other items.
E.G:
Starting character max satchel inventory

200 gold (or whatever the currency is)
5 Mediere (Of your type, though if your char uses more types later you can mix and match)
2 other items (these can be most anything to do with your char)

The inventory wouldn't include clothes of the char, so for instance if you 'wear' a locket it wouldn't take up inventory space, but if you 'carry' a locket it would take up 1 slot of the other items sub-set.

Once every while you can find certain stores that sell items that raise the amount of things you can hold.

Just an idea and i understand the, don't want to get too complicated thing, happened to me.

Also, i think the 'Mediere left' would be a good idea.
I think it should look like this.

E.G:

Battle scene...
Used 1 glass mediere for 'glass sword'.
End of attack.

[Mediere avabile to use in battle: 4/5]

Normal scene...
Used 1 fire mediere to light a campfire.
End of post.

[Mediere avabile: 14/15]

(The stuff above the mediere count in the square brackets is just a short way of doing a real post)
For the ones lost in the great war of RP's!
Reality is what you make it... but reality can still be a pain in the ass!

Cazuki
Member for 10 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:14 pm

After seeing a visual aid I think that having a Mediere count would be an excellent idea and I would like to expand on it.

[Mediere remaining: 13/15]

[Mediere used in this post: 1]

I feel clarifying the second point will make sure people do not use more attacks, or word things so you think they have used 3 and only 2 have been used.

As far as Replenishing Mediere I think that this is going to have to be obtained from traveling back to your country. Though this seems extreme and many people might be turned off please hear me out. Weapons are still in Scarkim, they are used in unison with a person's Mediere. In addition you do not have to uses five Mediere in each battle instance, you could use one or no Mediere at all. The conflict of this story prevents the market idea because countries do not trade Mediere being as most people in each country have trained with their Mediere so long their body would reject foreign Mediere.

A country only entrusts Mediere to those who are citizens in the hope they will protect their homeland. (saying this does not mean you have to be loyal to your country just that you must return to the capital of the country you hail from to refill your Mediere stock.) Mediere is really important and these countries will not allow just anyone to cross boarders and buy there resource even if it is abundant.

As far as inventory goes if you can carry the item and it's logical and practical than you can have that item and bring it with you. Seeing how mobility is compromised along with speed with big leather packs of items as oppose to a small satchel allows players to create the character they want with the drawbacks that correspond to there decisions.

I did like your post Cazuki, and currency might be a nice touch, of course if we go that route we have to decide how gold is earned either by post, looting (I would decide gold values off of loots) or something else.

Suggestions are welcome I really appreciate the feedback and thank you for bearing with me while we work out the kinks!!

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circa on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:22 pm

From what I'm hearing, we will probably see a lot of interesting and successful implementations of it into the story, the only thing i forgot to add to my post previously was.. does Mediere spoil, rot, or otherwise lose it's oomph? That could be a good and logical reason that trade of it is kept minimal as well. Maybe it's synthesized form returns to an unusable form in a matter of days/week.
I'm not opposed to people having a limited inventory, I think it makes sense that more frail people cannot carry as much because of strength limitations [I don't think we quantify attributes..], also maybe richer folks can afford nicer/bigger packs or even servants that carry their inventory [although that probably shouldn't last the whole game either.]

~circa

Circa
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ikiros on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 am

You've caught my interest with your RP, but I have a quick question. Would Mediere, after enough time, have any physical effect on the human body, save for giving them their powers? I only ask because, although I do not know what races populate the world, I was thinking of going Plant. Unfortunately, the image I was going to use as a visual aid for what my character would look like happens to be elven, and I know you'd prefer only humans. Just figured I'd ask if there was a way to make the ears feasible, or if you'd rather I just edit them out.

Also, I'll submit the character either way, and can update it later as needed.

Ikiros
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Group Theory Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:46 am

^Circa- I still have to contemplate if Mediere can go bad but at the moment I think it is a wonderful idea. Mediere being synthesized has to stay at a specific temperature or after a week it will spoil. This will allow the storage of Mediere in the human body to be logical and gives a great reason why once Mediere is stored inside the body it does not spoil.
I am not going to be strict on inventories unless people start going over board, for example my character has a satchel so storing small items is one things, I am not allowed to put two extra swords in my satchel lol. All "Inventories" should be realistic and the size of which can affect mobility etc...

^Ikiros- I did not want to use other races besides human but I understand having a cool picture. I recently accepted a character with wings because he mention to ignore them and that he was a human. Ears are not a big deal you do not have to edit the ears out, just be clear he is a human. The reason behind humans is there are too many physiological factors and racial traits that come into play when applying this idea else where that it would be too crazy and hard to fathom different combinations.
Any other question feel free to ask!

Look forward to seeing your character!!!!

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Noblesse Oblige on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Here I am, trying to write this response for the third time:

So I have a question and a suggestion:

Question: I noticed you said that as you mastered a type of mediere you would not be able to use others. So if one is a basic user (like daily tasks only) would their bodies be less specialized and be able to use, say two types while they decide which to use? I'm not saying being able to make Ice swords and Fire balls, but maybe being able to freeze some water and light a fire. I wanted my character to be from one country but raised in another, so he is debating on which to master.

Suggestion:
Mediere is not only powerful, but valuable. It is a weapon, and in a way, a drug (in the fact that you take it in your body and it has an effect on your body) So let me explain my suggestion with a simile. Let us imagine, first, that Mediere is a specialized grenade made by, let's say Germany. Germany finds these grenades very useful and powerful. They don't want their enemies to have them, but they do want their allies to have them. (There are no real allies in this RP so we can ignore that aspect) But, the supervisor of the grenade factory has children, those children need schooling, they need a future. So he decides to use his position to sell some grenades on the side, to black market arms dealers for a high price. Then those arms dealers sell to other countries (enemy countries) for higher prices.
With anything of value, there is always someone that will be corrupted in this way.
So this allows the purchase of mediere in different countries.
Pros: Access to Mediere in other countries
Cons: Extremely high prices (maybe life threatening quests could be used as payment)
(Also, if you made an issue arise after they spoiled, somewhat like food poisoning, then that could be another possible con for buying unregulated Mediere)

Now for another aspect of the black market: Let's continue the grenade idea. In some enemy countries, there would be terrorists that want the powerful german grenades but can't afford the high black market prices, so they improvise and make a similar, low quality powerful grenade, (like those nail bombs) just as dangerous, but not as reliable.

Now let's move on to the drug metaphor: For this, let us say Mediere is Cocaine, pure wonderful rich people drug (I do not condone drugs, nor nail bombs or black market grenades) Knowing other people want some, and hoping to make more money, druggies synthesize Meth, the poor people drug. Now meth is dangerous to make, and much more deadly (in some senses)

So Mediere should be no different, people that can't afford black market mediere will then turn to knock off mediere. It would be poorly synthesized, not be as reliable, and could have dangerous side effects (maybe knock off fire mediere could give you a fever, maybe it will make you explode) you can't be certain, but at least it is cheap!
Pros: Cheap way to get mediere without returning home
Cons:Not as reliable, May have dangerous side effects

This would all add some depth to the story, allow for side quests (for the expensive black market stuff) and let us stay where we are without returning home (because really, what if it is summer? Then anyone that uses Ice Mediere is SOL) You may need to introduce currency, but that is a small task. And I think it would be interesting the type of depth people can add to their characters. (ie: Jan walked in, a limp sleeve hiding his missing arm. He grew up poor and relied of [insert slang name of knock off mediere here] most of his life, until his arm turned to ice from a bad dose and fell off.] See, seems sweet to me.
"The Abuse Of Greatness Is When It Disjoins Remorse From Power"

Noblesse Oblige
Member for 9 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cazuki on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:00 pm

I like the black market idea, it would be rather annoying having to go back to your country everytime you ran out, espeially if you have travelled to, let's say Dasoon, from Shivik. You have one hella of a distance to travel back to get your mediere you use, and who knows what will happen on the journey back.

Along with the idea of the knock-off mediere, maybe we can call it 'Medic', it could also be used in the war effort later on.
Let me explain:

Before the war each country made it's own mediere. With Dasoon outlawing Storm mediere other countries also outlawed un-liscened people from synthesising mediere, so that only the ones they wanted were made and no experimentation was done as it was all goverment controlled.

With the war though the law on this is laxed and maybe it is encouraged in some places to experiment on how to make other mediere types from their base.
E.G: Fire mediere ----> Lava mediere
Rock mediere ----> metal mediere (if they find some way to make it less dense)
Air mediere
and so on and so forth.
Basically this would open up windows for people not just to fight battles or travel but to experiment and make better or new mediere types.

Cazuki
Member for 10 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circa on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 pm

A note on illegal markets:
Illegal markets are unreliable and whether you will be able to find the supplies you need is a total crap shoot. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is, you go looking for Fire mediere in Shivik, sometimes you find it, most times it is fake or non existent.

I mean I guess mediere could be used as a weapon or drug, but I believe it to make more sense that good people use it as a measure to prevent the war. [Do masters of rock mediere protect cities and villages from attack with towering stone sculptures and walls? Maybe masters of water mediere can surround the city with a moat that is too deep to cross, making it impossible for enemies to pillage]

and now a note on base-secondary medieres
Even though the differing countries try their hardest to regulate all aspects of trade and synthesizing, they probably also fund research and development to some degree. Maybe in Dassoon fire mediere is not potent enough, and as a result possibilities of Lava Mediere is researched. This doesn't necessarily mean that it works...
{{ I have been having a messed up sleep schedule, sorry if it makes little sense PM with any questions I'd be happy to clarify}}
~Circa~

Circa
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Noblesse Oblige on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Could you help us out and give us a map? So we know what we have to travel through to get somewhere. So Im trying to travel to Endune but need to know what order of countries I will need to visit. So for example it could be

------------S-------------------
--------------------------------
------------K--------------------
--------M-D-E--------------------------

Noblesse Oblige
Member for 9 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Black Market:
I have decided to accept this idea, but only on the premise that this Mediere has negative side affects, (Polling fellow members. These side affects can be determined by you, RP and give yourself the handicaps that you should have if using a Mediere rip off. OR the GM will randomly assign side effects or sometimes there will be done. Upon RP-ing evaluating character profiles etc I could come to appropriate side effects.

Advanced Mediere:
Advanced Mediere such as Metal, Lava, etc... will not be in the story when we start the RP. As long as everyone keeps up with posting I would like to incorporate a leveling system that allows people to use more Mediere, maybe have a greater Mediere Base, etc with that the story may progress to the point where advanced are made and advanced Mediere can be synthesized, absorbed and wielded. As of now I would like characters to try to utilize what they have and learn how to harness the Mediere they have basic understanding in.

Gold:
I realize with the black market, and even just items people may want that they do not official start with I am going to implement a looting system. Gold per post would not be affect because posting in order would lead to everyone always having the same amount. I will be giving gold values to what specific items are worth to vendors, how much gold is looted if any, etc... Looting isn't the only way to get Mediere. I am going to incorporate more rules for looting considering this RP is open to a variety of characters and i would like for passive (non-violent) characters to have the means to acquire gold.

(this is the best suggestion I currently have for gold to prevent (He looted a coin purse that had a whopping 900 gold pieces.) feel free to offer suggestions, and also know as far as black market and gold I will be fair to all characters regardless of IC/OCC)

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:22 am

Noblesse I was typing when you asked for a map and had no clue someone replied before my message above ^

Here is a link to the starting information that includes a map of Scarkim.I hope this visual aid helps clarify everything.

Starting story information

To Everyone reading this I am going to post the first post, after I do, feel free to post and introduce your character to Scarkim! Please read information about starting story information in the link provided above.

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 am

FEEL FREE TO START POSTING JUST READ AND REVIEW THIS THREAD!!!!!!

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Noblesse Oblige on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 am

It's starting! Just hope more people join and these stories become intertwined well

Noblesse Oblige
Member for 9 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seveneleven on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 am

Hey thanks for adding my character! Can't wait to start!

Seveneleven
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Noblesse Oblige on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:24 am

Sorry, there is no button for me to respond to PMs so I'm putting it here.

Are you trying to say we all need to wait until everyone makes a post before we can post again? Even if they are offline? Even if they are not part of our situation? That would take forever! Frozen and I are on now, able and willing to have some fun and kick start your RP, why cant the others join in when they are ready?

Noblesse Oblige
Member for 9 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:33 am

This message will be edited when a decision has been made on posting

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red Guardian on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 am

I hope this does not turn people off but the answer to Noblesse's question is yes. I consider this a serious RP that can have an amazing story and I never have heard of posting in any random order. At first I was going to condone it because a couple of characters seemed pretty persistent but not I realize that I am not a fan. I would like to Recap some rules about posting that I would like People to follow while in the IC sections.

Ordered posting format:
I would like each character to have a chance to post before you post again. Everyone is a part of this story and everyone should have the chance to move at the same pace as everyone else (obviously if a couple characters stop posting completely they will be skipped.) I know not everyone has time to get in multiple times a day or even daily. This is why I feel strongly on about the Ordered posting format. So please once everyone has posted I will post the order and hopefully continue the amazing story.

Word minimums:
Although I mentioned it in the rules I would like to mention again, an essay is not required for your posts but in the same aspect this in not multiverse, I would like it if posts were a minimum of 175 words.

Sorry for not clarifying in info feel free to respond with questions complaints etc...

Other than that I can't wait to read your character Introductions!!!!

Red Guardian
Member for 9 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!