Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. »

Players Wanted: DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers »

Roleplay Ideas

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Roleplay Ideas

Tips: 1.75 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi all,

My name is VindicatedPurpose. It's been awhile since I've roleplayed here, but I thought it would be fun to return and have a continual writing practice among community. Anyway, let's cut to the chase.

These are a few ideas I'm thinking of starting up.

Idea 1: Camelot

The first is Arthurian legend. This will be a retelling or an adaptation. My point of view on this is simplistic. If you've studied the stories, you'll know that there are many interpretations, adaptations, remakes, and/or retellings, that contribute to the overall richness of this mythos. There's never really been an over-arching true/definitive narrative of what constitutes Arthurian legend other than, I would argue two things:

• recurrence of specific characters i.e. the Lady of the Lake, Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot and the knights of the round table, Morgan le Fay, Mordred, Merlin, etc.
  • the realm of Camelot

However, the things that happen to them and the actions they take fall under a specific over-arching structure, the rise and fall of Camelot.

So, my thinking is that we will divide this into three major arcs (Before Camelot, the Rise of Camelot, and the Fall of Camelot) And this project sounds massive in scale, but really, it depends on us.

The "Before" consists of the beginnings of Merlin, the rise of Uther Pendragon, his impregnating of Igraine, wife of Gorlois of Tintagel with Arthur, and Arthur's young adulthood. Even this is debatable, in the sense that this is the usual focus of the Arthurian myths, but we don't need to focus here if we just want them to be NPCs.

A lot of this roleplay will depend heavily on your knowledge of Arthurian mythos. My idea is that I draw up a dramatis personae, or cast of characters, and allow you the player to pick one character. And your responsibility is to read up/know/research the character well enough so that you let me know what story/stories about the character and you think you want to tell. This can go as far as an entire character's life, or just one specific moment.

For example, Lancelot of the lake/Launcelot du Lac/Lancelet has a plotline involving Galehaut, a lesser known (not sure if this is still true) character from the mythos. And if you'd want to tell that story, it would be

a collaborative effort between
  • yourself and someone who wishes to play Galehaut
  • myself as DM playing Galehaut as NPC
or
  • you choosing to play both characters

Furthermore, Galehaut rarely shows up again, but Lancelot, we know, is very much tied to Arthur and Guinevere in a lot of works. It would be interesting if someone chose to explore more of Galehaut's presence in the Camelot universe.

Now this sounds vastly complicated, but again, the scope and scale of this roleplay will depend on the players. My emphasis is in allowing us to explore characters like Percival, Galahad, Mordred, Morgause, Gawain/Gawyn (the movie that recently came up is a fantastic example of what I imagine to be the smaller arcs we get to explore), and etc. I can't guarantee we will get to all of the characters. And I would rather you the player not try to double or triple your responsibilities trying to write for multiple, unless you are absolutely sure it is what you want/can do. I am open to a lot of ideas though, for example, the merging of specific characters together--which is a technique often employed in adaptations.

Idea 2: Nondescript Small-Group Epic Fantasy Roleplay

Lol, my less thought out idea. I'm thinking a group of three players, set in a fantasy world of our collective design. This is all I have.

Character sheets will not require histories or personal details, just a name and face-claim. This is, I'm aware, a very low bar to entry. The profiles are, at most, dossiers for outsiders looking in, for us--maybe like separate pieces of a story bible.

My reasoning for this is that, while a character's backstory/history is exciting and helps explain how they have arrived at the beginning of the roleplay, it is a bit of work trying to seamlessly cohere three different backstories from the get go.

I want to take a more organic approach that unfolds the present story and the backstory of the world and the characters slowly and let all the writing happen in IC. I don't think I could manage trying a top-down approach with paradigms and overall rules governing this universe. This is my emphasis on "collective design". I used to be very hands-on top-down laws-oriented, so I'm trying something new.

We won't start entirely with nothing. I would like to know what kind of character you're trying to play/would want to play, and I will do what I can to fashion an interesting enough starting point for our game.

Idea 3: Nondescript Small-Group Sci-Fi Roleplay

You get the point.

Post here if you're interested/have suggestions/questions. I'd like to see what you think.

- VP
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.75 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 11 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Re: Roleplay Ideas

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sun May 15, 2022 7:03 pm

Thread Update:

I've been thinking more about sci-fi recently. And a few ideas have returned to mind.

There are two games that I think would make for interesting worlds to roleplay in, tentatively speaking.

The first is Into the Breach.

The basic premise is that a collective of creatures known as the Vek have emerged from underground and are annihilating humanity.

In the game, you command a squad of mechas that helps defend the civilian population while also trying to complete objectives. It's a strategy game where positioning is very important (chess-like) and can often result in putting yourself in situations where you have to pick the least bad option.

So it's I guess kinda like Evangelion meets Halo? And it might/could have gen:lock vibes.

The second game is called Gemini Strike, which is just dull mindless tedium for a Galaga/fixed shooter type game.

The plot is meh, but only because the pacing is so terrible because they're trying to get you to play to level 400 like CandyCrush, so that kind of ruins narrative momentum.

I do like the premise. It features a character known as the Gemini Pilot, who works for the "Alliance Republic" (I didn't pick that name) who has been fighting the "Royal Empire" (also did not pick that name). The Gemini pilot is part of a secret experimental cloning program wherein a single pilot has been prosecuting the war against the empire, but gradually it is revealed that the situation is similar to the film Moon, wherein the clone realizes that this is facade.

Another sci-fi universe I've been thinking of is based on a canceled show called Terra Nova, which had an interesting premise.

In the future, the Earth is dying due to advanced environmental degradation and climate change, but humanity managed to develop a device that allows them to travel back in time, and they have chosen to send "Pilgrimages" to the past to give humanity a second chance on a fresh earth.

Problem is they blew through one of their big plot threads really quickly in season 1, and that was hard to recover from.

On a more critical note, the show might have suffered from colonialist fantasies as well.

Idk if any of these sound good now that I've written it out, lol...

- Vin

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 11 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:47 pm

Bump. Any takers?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Connected on Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:06 pm

Into the Breach was a cool game. Didn't it involve time travel as well, but you could only save one person, or something to that effect? That sounds like it would be great for drama with some modifications.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Connected
Member for 2 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Tipworthy Contributor

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!