Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Roleplay please?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Roleplay please?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackfridayrule on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 am

I really wanna add another roleplay to my list since a couple of mine have died recently. Advanced writers only please, no groups--1x1's only, and I'll give you all the quick and dirty rundown of stuff I really do and don't like to play....

Please, none of the following:
Angels/demons
Werewolves
Vampires
Zombies
Blatant Romance (meaning, it's the focus of the story)
Fandoms (really just because I probably don't know the fandom)
Kinda not feeling 'mutants' or modern day 'super power' stories right now either. Actually I'm really not in the mood for anything modern at all, currently.

Stuff I really like:
strong friendships, deep backstories, and well rounded characters
Exploration themes
I once had an idea for a character in the future who went on a solo space exploration and was forgotten about or lost communication and then found another planet by accident?
survivalism/post apocalyptic
fantasy settings are always nice
revolutions in various types of settings
Also had an idea once about three nations, who once warred with each other, getting attacked/one of them turns/some kind of disaster happens that upsets the balance of things severely. I've tried working with it on this site before but I seem to get all the partners who end up completely leaving the site halfway through. If someone wanted to do this with me, I might just cry tears of joy or do a dance or....something. I don't know. But it would be cool.
Also, y'know how in The Golden Compass, everyone has an animal that's like, another half of their soul? I dunno, something akin to that idea might be interesting.

So there's me. I post often. Please do the same, though I'm not gonna be a stickler about it. I'm human too, after all. And write lots. Lots of good stuff. Meaty stuff. Does this sound like you? Does anything on my list of 'likes' interest you? Or, do you have some unmentioned idea that you want to suggest? I'm pretty open right now. Thoughts?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Blackfridayrule
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Roleplay please?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 pm

I'd be interested in tossing ideas around if you're still looking for a partner. The space idea sounds really interesting and could go in a lot of directions. I have a rough fantasy setting we could discuss if you'd like. I'm definitely open to hearing more about your three nations idea, though I tend to shy away from large-scale roleplays. I'm currently involved in one other long term roleplay and I don't want to sacrifice quality or frequency with my existing partner, but I should be able to reliably post several times a week. My post lengths do vary, which might be a turn off for some, but I'm not a fan of purple prose or fluffing a post for the sake of word count.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackfridayrule on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 am

Hey! I am still looking! Let us bounce some ideas!

Just curious, what do you mean when you say large-scale roleplays?

I'm cool with working on either a fantasy something-or-other, the space idea, or perhaps the three-nations one--basically whatever draws you. I'm very interested in, for my own sake, playing with one of a few specific characters of mine that are new to me and I'd like to flesh them out a little more, so I'm really flexible on setting/plot ideas so long as I get to work 'em in somehow.

A couple posts a week is great. Lately that's all I've been able to get out too (theatre, man...it's like a marathon) so I don't mind. Post length though, I am a little bit of a stickler about. Just a bit. I don't ever want to put a hard-and-fast cap on it, because I agree, there's no sense in superfluously fluffing a post to get a word count. And this is not a college class for which to write dumb essays. But I guess all I ask is that you give me something meaty to work with, and I'll do the same.

Also I really appreciate communication from my writing partners. If you know you'll be off the grid for a long time, just let me know, I'll try and do the same. And y'know, keep ideas coming and we can bounce things around and stuff. Yeah.

So are there any ideas/thoughts/concepts that especially draw you? Something you'd like to develop?

Blackfridayrule
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:59 pm

When I say 'large scale', I mean that the plot or basis of the roleplay involves an entity much bigger than the characters we're playing. I prefer a smaller scale of content versus grandiose, simply because when you're only playing a handful of characters, it can be difficult to tie what they personally are doing into the bigger picture of an organization, a nation, or the world. It's entirely a personal preference, but I prefer stories to be driven by the characters who are being played and to revolve around them, rather than the climate of a nation, for example.

As far as post length goes, if your priority is having something meaningful to respond to, I can (usually) fulfill that. One of the reasons I often prefer shorter posts over six hundred words essays is that it not only often stays truer to the moment, but it keeps things in the present. Again, this is entirely personal preference, but I don't like when a character says something another character may feel inclined to respond or react to, but then goes on to make some little motion or have a little thought, and keeps on talking. And talking. I see roleplays where characters are having four different conversations with each other and everything gets out of order, and I think it's messy. If a character says something worth reacting to, I want the chance to react to it then, not after they've had two more paragraphs of monologue and motion. Otherwise I'm going to probably be a dick and write a reply about how their character never stops talking to take a breath, or seems to enjoy the sound of their own voice too much.

Let me know if any of that put you off. I promise you won't hurt my feelings because I know I'm not for everyone. If that all seems good with you, I'll send you a PM with some ideas.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackfridayrule on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:58 am

Ahh, ok, I gotcha. Cool cool.

Heh, I know what you mean. That's cool with me so long as I go into it with that expectation. I've done several of the short-post kinds of threads, though typically I've done them via IM or a running G-Doc, but the same could apply here as well. I tend to write a lot, especially in the beginning so I can work on fleshing out my character and solidifying who they are, so don't be surprised if I shoot off a first post and it's a mini novel haha. But again, as long as I know where you're coming from on the subject, don't feel obligated to match me. Just don't give me a one-liner...that would just make me sad haha. Again, give me something to work with, and we're good.

Send away, friend!

Blackfridayrule
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackfridayrule on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:01 am

I guess I could take on another thread now that my schedule's opening up, if anyone else wants to start something up, I'm still looking for an additional partner.

Blackfridayrule
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tea.Or.Coffee on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Hey there :) I'd love to do some sort of post-apocalyptic/survival RP with you, and we could work in the strong friendships and a deep background between the characters if you like. Let me know if you feel like throwing some ideas around.

Tea.Or.Coffee
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vaultboy on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:34 am

I would like to start something up with you as well if you are interested. Some of your idea made me pretty happy and frankly I am excited to talk some of them out with you.

Let me know if this is something you are still interested in.

~VB~

Vaultboy
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!