Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Roleplaying commands! READ THIS ASAP BEFORE YOU POST

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:50 pm

It is much easier to extract all the IC and DESC data from a database than it is to hand-edit comments.

Do what you like, though it'd be nice.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Delve on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:45 am

Is this all actually necessary? xD

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Delve
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 am

It's helpful to use it, but it fucks you up after a while. When I actually sit down and write, now, it doesn't look right, 'cuz I'm used to that damn setup.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:33 pm

I use the script form mostly because I have so many NPC's, and for me it's just easier, plus I have been doing something similar with all the different scripts I have written over the years. Though I just usually use bold and itallics since it's the same thing.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:47 am

I'd just like to bring this to the forefront once more, as a lot of people are having formatting trouble with their posts.

We have an effective way of displaying roleplay with a good basic style. If you're not already working diligently on giving your posts good format or style, or if you just want to be lazy, you can have a look at the basic options that we provide.

In recap:
Code: Select all
[ooc]This is an OOC statement.[/ooc]
[ic]This is IC dialog.[/ic]
[desc]This is description and action.[/desc]

Enjoy!

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:03 am

Ok, after reading this topic, you all have NO chance whatsoever of me doing my posts like that! I know I am a Mod and blah, but... I do my posts the way I do them for a reason, and I find that it works quite well.

And no offence, but isn't RPing supposed to be about creativity? If so, I will be creative in the way that my posts are set up as well.

Although I don't believe that there should be a 'uniform' way for everyone to post, I do believe that each person should post the same way in ALL of their posts on here. That way, there will be some level of continuity.

As in the chat, some people will use -=Action goes here=- then speak here -=followed by another action=- whereas some people will use '::action::' instead of the '-=action=-' formatting. Other use '*action*' and some use the /me command, which obviously can't be used here.

The point that I am trying to make is this, not everyone is comfortable doing things this way or that way. (I personally don't like the look of the posts being all in bold)

As an example this is how I format my posts:

All my narrative/descriptive text is in normal type.

My character's speech I have it in italics.

And NPC speech is in green italic.

If quoting the speech of another character, I use blue italic.

OOC is in red text preceeded by 'OOC:'.

That works really well for me, and I have no intention of changing it, but am not suggesting people use this method.

Although I do feel that, for beginners who are wanting to get nto it all, using that system would be good for them, as it has already been put in place.

Again, however, I will state my opinion that each person should be consistent in their own formatting all the time whether they choose to use the recommended one or their own, I think that is more important.

Peace guys.

Saladin.

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Previous

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.