Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

RPG is back! (No, we weren't hacked...)

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

RPG is back! (No, we weren't hacked...)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Sorry about the downtime folks, I wasn't around to fix the problems that happened late last night. I was up early today, and spending quality time this Thanksgiving with my family when I received a call regarding the problems. I hopped online this afternoon and was immediately able to determine exactly what happened based on our logs, as well as revert everything back to normal without losing any data or configuration.

RolePlayGateway wasn't hacked, and in fact this couldn't be further from the truth. In looking through the logs (which our perpetrator tried to erase), I found a couple problems with how our permissions were set, and I have of course fixed them now. The method of attack was very amateur and displayed no degree of sophistication, and their vector of attack has been isolated and neutralized - you won't be seeing any problems like this ever again, we promise.

We have also decided not to press charges on the offending party, which would have included destruction of personal property and gaining unauthorized access to secured online data (Ca. PENAL CODE SECTION 484-502.9), but the appropriate authorities and law enforcement agencies have been notified and informed with all relevant information. Our attorneys were more than happy to pursue legal action, but I have chosen not to do so in hopes of allowing these people to come forward and make amends on their own. (For more information on state and federal regulations regarding unauthorized access to computer systems, please visit or contact the National Conference for State Legislatures, Janna Goodwin, 303-364-7700, janna.goodwin@ncsl.org).

Let me remind everyone - if you don't like the site, we list plenty of other places to roleplay because we know we don't get it right all the time. But what makes RolePlayGateway different is the fact that I'm willing to listen and work towards fixing anything you guys (the community) find in need of attention. You won't ever find another site that has an owner that cares this much about the community and the state of roleplay, and I hope that everyone can respect my passion for making things right. Please, give the RolePlayGateway Staff your input and feedback as much as possible - if you can't do this, then you are welcome to look through our list of other roleplaying sites and head elsewhere.

The problems were limited to our forums, and didn't extend into the chat, our voice server, our game servers, writing tools, or API. The only changes that they were able to make were mostly cosmetic (as well as some other permission changes they made, like banning users who weren't supposed to be banned) and involved some amusing changes to the forum names.

We're back now, and better than ever - I was able to re-tune our database server since we took the site down (we can't do that while the site is online), so everything should be working better and faster than ever before. If you notice any problems, please let us know exactly what's happening and we'll get it fixed for you. Thanks for making RolePlayGateway your home,
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 16 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: RPG is back! (No, we weren't hacked...)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Superfly on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Whew. Thank heavens. For a moment there I thought I'd lose all the Rp's I was involved in...

Edit: And thanks, for fixing the problem on Turkey day.
Last edited by Superfly on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Superfly
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViVi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Yea, go Remæus! Crackin down on them fools! lol.

ViVi
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Magix on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks for taking the time from you family to fix this problem. I for one really appreciate it.

Magix
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby isafos on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:17 am

It seems they managed to get at your reputation, Remaeus. :lol:

Someone copy + pasted the index page just before the forums went down (in his words: "Like a two-dollar hooker" XD) , they did some pretty interesting stuff:

· Staff Lounge
Restricted to Administrators and Moderators for staff discussions.
Subforum: Administration
134 Topics
1176 Posts
Last postStaff: Speak now.
by SinfulSoul
on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:13 am
· Little kids welcomed!
Topics
· We hereby raise
New (or returning) members post here to announce your arrival and be greeted by our wonderful community. Also, if you're going on leave, post here and we'll say our goodbyes.
2551 Topics
15225 Posts
Last postEnter: Karunashi
by Karunashi
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 am
· one giant middle finger
If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.
Subforums: Help, GWC Veteran's Club, Announcements
607 Topics
18807 Posts
Last postThe OFFICIAL ...
by Dark Kit
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 am
· to RoleplayGateway
Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.
Subforum: Flame Wars
504 Topics
7973 Posts
Last postGay marriage: Yay or nay?
by Halibel Lecter
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:14 am
· and Remaeus
Archives of various documents from all sorts of places for your referential purposes.
Subforums: Completed RPGs, Vexar's RolePlayGateway Comic, Edge's GWing Comic
66 Topics
8058 Posts
Last postAll There Is To Know ...
by Dionysus
on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:55 pm
· for everything he's given us.
Having trouble understanding how roleplay works? Jump in here and ask for some help, you'll have a personal guide to help you out in various places as you play around the site.
Moderator: Professors of Roleplay
Subforum: The Role Play Academy Website
163 Topics
1292 Posts
Last postNew Member Needs Help ...
by AHeartlessNobody
on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:56 pm
· Shitstorm
Topics
· Penises and Vaginas
Forum for completely Out Of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your role playing game, or look for a GM for your playergroup.
Subforums: People and Places, Profiles, Character Journals, Clans, Guilds, and Organizations, Interest Checks, Roleplayers Wanted
3542 Topics
59147 Posts
Last postAnother...
by xoxMissClairexox
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:48 am
· LOLSPACEFITES
Where legends collide, warriors rise and titans fall. This is the general in character world, where your creations can rise to fame driven only by your imagination - this is the persistent world in which all characters exist.
212 Topics
2828 Posts
Last postThe Multiversal Cafe
by the-luner-knight
on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:56 pm
· Elves. With Vampires. Who Sleep With Elves.
If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.
Subforums: Ghalerion, Possibly Pirates
1304 Topics
85551 Posts
Last postDark Forest Tavern(IC ...
by Sage Akia
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:36 am
· Realistic Roleplay
If you would like to make your own roleplay based on the real world, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.
630 Topics
56569 Posts
Last postCafe Amore - a place ...
by Tripmine
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 am
· HOLYSPACESHIPS
If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.
291 Topics
12956 Posts
Last postThe Hybrids (IC, ...
by Poisonbite
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:12 am
· Fiction Based Roleplay
Anime based, book based, movie based. For those who don't want to spend extra time developing an original world.
Subforums: Anime & Manga, Gundam Wing: The Jupiter Chronicles, Gundam Wing: Continuing Legend, Gundam: Universal Century, SSJHunterKiller's Naruto RPG, Movies & Film, Flourishing Republic, Books & Literature, Video Games
944 Topics
33472 Posts
Last postBeyond the Lake (King ...
by Jadeling Hawkins
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:15 am
· Den of Lust and Cybersex
For all non-public roleplay, regardless of genre. Your roleplay belongs here if you do not have public signups.
348 Topics
31621 Posts
Last post by Ryu-Nagadan
on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:41 am
· Everything Else
Other roleplay stuff, either inactive or otherwise. Roleplays that don't fit within any of the other categories.
Subforums: Nottori High, Vffekt's Challenge, Forgotten Realms, School-Based Roleplay
453 Topics
31507 Posts
Last postHigh School Daze
by markmywords
on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm
· Emo Angst
Topics
· Fuzzy-Uzzy-Umpkins
Show off and solicit your artistic skills! Here you can request a character drawing, sell your artistic skills, or even learn how to improve your not-so good skills.
Moderator: Design Team
261 Topics
2924 Posts
Last postForbidden Designs
by Twilight01
on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 pm
· Fingerbanging goes here
Fanfiction and original stories, poetry and lyrics (etc). Simple as that. Keep it PG-13.
Subforum: Growth
393 Topics
2037 Posts
Last postDescent Into Darkness ...
by Rokku
on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:03 pm
· Music
Are you a budding musician? Share with us here!
42 Topics
601 Posts
Last postRonald Jenkees: ...
by beyondormason
on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:10 pm
· Cesspool
Topics
· The GT League Hall of Records
We fully support the use of the GTL Hall of Records for recording your match results and tracking your ability as compared to other fighters. For more information about the Hall of Records, please read the RolePlayGateway Chapter of the GTL.
Total redirects: 1314
· LOLTXTFITING
A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches.

Don't forget to record the results of your fights at the GT League

Indeed, it does seem that someone doesn't like you lot very much.

Does seem pretty amateur, but I must admit that I giggled at the stuff he edited in. :lol:

isafos
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shur on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:20 am

I'm glad everything is fine now but I do hope all this didn't ruin your Thanksgiving too much.

Shur
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:14 am

Eric was just showing what he was most thankful for on Thanksgiving. What better way than to spend your day with that which you love most?
ImageImage

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 16 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Valekor on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 am

@SinfulSoul
I suppose there's some irony in that statement <.<

Well, I hope they're pissing their pants now. Getting sued for this isn't something small, as small as the action taken might have actually been.
You finished your turkey right? I have no thanksgiving here, who's sending me turkey?!
Satophail: While not uncommon, Satophail is a degrading condition that targets the mind, heart, and self-confidence. If you find yourself making startlingly horrible fails with increasing regularity, contact your Doctor immediately.

Satophail
The cure
Cloasse lost it. Again.

Valekor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Wow, you've got a pretty big heart, Remaeus, I'll say that much. Taking time off Thanksgiving to undo the fuck some little sh*t did on this site just because he couldn't get the right fix, or simply because he's an immature idiot, isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm glad also to see that that there isn't any permanent damage. In any case, good job Remaeus, and keep well, man !

And reading isafos' post, I don't see the point in hacking a site just to put those up, when there's there's a possibility of having your ass sued ... Idiot ... Really.

Selothi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xMoonlightXRosex on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:03 pm

PHEW! I freaked out when i couldn't get on yesterday! Thanks Rasmeus!

xMoonlightXRosex
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kevah on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Everytime I type http://www.roleplaygateway.com in my web browser it doesn't work.
Maybe it's just IE messing with me, but if I type in a random topic like: rpg-back-weren-hacked-t14278.html, it gets me on fine, otherwise it says page can't be displayed or something.

I don't know why. :o

Kevah
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ponats on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Meh.

Ponats
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pinkpony on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 pm

I was on as a geust and I thought this is not right that day .
'Guess I'll be the bad guy
So get mad at me
I'm only sayin' what everybody thinks'

♥♥

Pinkpony
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Paramorex on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Geez, you're really generous to do that on a holiday. Thanks for fixing it :].

Paramorex
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!