Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters » What latest tech excites me? » RPG: Season of Giving 2020 (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!) » A question about 'hyperspace travel' and its use as a weapon »

Players Wanted: Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D » mahou shoujo rp » Avolair: Academy For The Supernatural [NEW][OPEN] » Calling for adventurers to explore Xamoyos »

RPG on YouTube and Podcasts

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

RPG on YouTube and Podcasts

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Okay, so I don't have the greatest of ideas with titles but.. just deal with it for now please.

In conjunction with the site's initiatives with the "Greatest Adventure Yet", I've proposed and offered my skills for Video/Podcasting to be used for things like Youtube and potentially Paetreon.

Now if you're like me, you spend a lot of time on youtube, and it only seemed natural to follow this progression with a few videos/podcasts or some form of media like that for the site introducing Roleplay Gateway.
To start with I plan to introduce the site and community at large,turn some of our biggest help topics into videos, and eventually branch off from there into IC newscasts for various RPs like the multiverse; our largest and possibly longest running RP here on the site.

Please shoot me a PM if you're interested in helping me undertake this endeavor. Skills with audio/visual are definitely a plus!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 12 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Re: RPG on Youtube and Podcasts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemiKara on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm in. God knows I've made youtube videos of RP before. It'll be fun to do it again. Besides, I have great fun editing video and the like.
Patcharoo says: She's the squishiest in the game...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DemiKara
Member for 11 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Donated! Contributor Historian Completionist Maiden Voyager Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: RPG on Youtube and Podcasts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pantheran on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm definitely interested about this. I'm currently studying film making and I think this way I could really put some of my skills on use. I'm most familiar with editing and filming itself but basic skills with ProTools have been included to my studies so I might be able to help with that side as well.
Don't worry, I don't bite...
But I might scratch

=^.^=

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Pantheran
Member for 7 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: RPG on YouTube and Podcasts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:41 pm

This is a brilliant idea. I've always been a fan of the videos that CCP would produce for the massive in-game universe of EVE Online. They're short (generally less than 1.5 minutes), narrated, and introduce an in-character personality that can be used elsewhere in the story. Here's a recent one:

There's a ton of other good examples on their YouTube channel.

Back in the GundamWing.com days, we had "Wing City News" and a few people who played news reporters who would show up (generally after someone IM'd them!) in the chat and start asking questions of everyone who was still hanging around after an interesting event.

I'm interested in seeing what you all come up with! This is exciting.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 16 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:03 pm

I've always been a fan of the videos that CCP would produce for the massive in-game universe of EVE Online. They're short (generally less than 1.5 minutes), narrated, and introduce an in-character personality that can be used elsewhere in the story.

That's partially where the idea came from. I remember seeing a few narrative videos like this awhile back, and did a few amv type for some RP stuff using film clips.

I'm currently studying film making and I think this way I could really put some of my skills on use. I'm most familiar with editing and filming itself but basic skills with ProTools have been included to my studies so I might be able to help with that side as well

I've never used ProTools, I'm most familiar with the adobe suite or what comes on a mac. However, glad to have you aboard Patheran. :)

I'm in. God knows I've made youtube videos of RP before. It'll be fun to do it again. Besides, I have great fun editing video and the like.

Awesome, it'll be fun!

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 12 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 am

I'm in, as some people here may remember, I ran a weekly live RPG show on twitch.tv answering questions for the community and teaching people how to role play.

I still stream nightly with my wife as we play games. Then, I stream a role play hangout once a week where I help players and game masters.

Vexar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Nice to have you on board Vexar.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Sure thing. I can help set up a live cast, record it, and post it to YouTube as well. Similar to the game discussions you can see on twitch. It'd be best to do with audio and video via Skype or Hangouts. I have no problem creating the interface and managing the behind the scenes since I'm a nightly streamer myself.

Vexar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Hey so, I've been stalking this thread because this stuff sounds pretty cool. I can't really help out completely, but you guys have my support and what not. To jump off of Rem's point...

Remæus wrote:This is a brilliant idea. I've always been a fan of the videos that CCP would produce for the massive in-game universe of EVE Online. They're short (generally less than 1.5 minutes), narrated, and introduce an in-character personality that can be used elsewhere in the story. Here's a recent one:

There's a ton of other good examples on their YouTube channel.

Back in the GundamWing.com days, we had "Wing City News" and a few people who played news reporters who would show up (generally after someone IM'd them!) in the chat and start asking questions of everyone who was still hanging around after an interesting event.

I'm interested in seeing what you all come up with! This is exciting.

If you guys do something like that ^, I found another thread...The Historians, and then a not-so-original-but-maybe-fun idea came to me.

Y'all could do mock history documentary segments of the MU. I don't know, I'm just spit balling. Anyway, whatever you guys do, best of luck.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 10 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:05 pm

I don't see this as a good idea.

But you're all hobbyists and you can do what you want.

I'm not a big fan of trying to make animations and stuff out of the Multiverse, but I see it (and NRP and various other aspects) in a considerably different light than a lot of the other old members seem to.

That being said, I don't mind the existence of yet another RP instructional Youtube channel. I personally don't see it revolutionizing the community and ushering in a new generation of superior writers and impassioned enthusiasts, but if it even helps just a handful of people that would be wonderful.

I'm experienced with editing and cutting video; I've made several Youtube videos of my own doing various things to some success. In a podcast setting, if I had a microphone and a camera I know I could fill 2 hours talking about roleplaying; I've been doing it for a long time and I have some funny stories. I don't have the personality, microphone quality, or improvisational skills to ever be a host, but if I was given a topic ahead of time and guest starred I think I would do alright.

At the very least I can call bullshit if someone calls a 3.5e rule wrong.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:28 pm

I like the idea of podcasts or videos;

What I see it as; a mini 'news channel', where it reports on some major events going on in the Multiverse. Or other large roleplays, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Weilacca
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:13 am

I think we already did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdXsItztbyM

If you watch closely, you can see me trying to hold my tongue. XD

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!