Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Is satire ever really harmless?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Is satire ever really harmless?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:34 pm

I mean in satire, someone is always mocked. So can you say that satire is never harmless?
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: Is satire ever really harmless?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dawn ✩ Quixotic on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:12 am

Well... that varies.
First, satire is less "mockery" and more "criticism".
Sometimes, like criticism, this can be more constructive, and lighter satire will focus on highlighting more universal human foibles, less mocking them and more "hey, see how silly this is? we act like that sometimes too, you know..."
This doesn't mean certain people who take those things very seriously won't still have objections to it, sure, but if you take the view that it's intended to shame those who are doing wrong and being willfully ignorant about it, you could say that they're calling for getting picked at.

The second part is it depends on how you look at the "harm" that is being done.
Many satirists would say their works are meant to be influential against problems they see in the world, corruption in church or state, human vices, the hubris of the elite... this might upset those people, but you probably wouldn't say that it's "harming" them unless you really think that's the way things should be.

Simply making fun of people, well... that's not really satire.
Some people, who say, make a movie with a lot of racist jokes in it, might defend the work by saying that it's "satire", but that's complete nonsense. So one shouldn't confuse the "I'm calling this satire as an excuse" brand of material with actual satire.

So satire shouldn't really be harmful in the first place. That doesn't mean some people won't take offense to it, or that it won't be done poorly and be intermingled with degrading jokes, but that's it's own issue, not something inherent to satire itself.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dawn ✩ Quixotic
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:40 am

Someone somewhere will always take offence to something. So in that sense there is always going to be some harm done. However satire by definition does not have malicious intent. This is therefore more a question of interpretation than anything else.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Humour is a high-level defense mechanism, right before accepting the world as it is. With a twist, most jokes -- even highly offensive ones -- can be made part of an acceptable philosophical dialog. Hence, it's only funny if it's true.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:52 am

Okay, I have realized that one exception could be satire news like the Daily Current or the Onion.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Strix on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:25 pm

I don't believe many people respond well to Satire. My high school was nearly sued for a piece of Satire known as "A Modest Proposal"... lots of angry parents raged on that assignment. For the most part, I would advise just about anyone to avoid Satire. It certainly doesn't earn you many friends.

Strix
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy Novelist

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!