Science!!

a topic in Science & Technology, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

What's the latest technology that excites you? How does it work?

Science!!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 pm

I had a friend recommend this podcast to me. Haven't listened to it yet, but it looks promising.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the ... 0390495496

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Science!!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Are we living in a simulation? 7/31/2017

---------

First I was like: "this is just Descartes' argument again", and within a couple pages they quoted Descartes. (Descartes said: "I think, therefore I am.")

Of course, they also mentioned Matrix, which is Descartes for Dummies.

Then I thought from a Buddhist perspective, a perspective from which these presenters never mentioned and so probably don't know about a heck of a lot about.

In Buddhism, the self is an illusion, where it only appears that we exist in the first place. The goal of Buddhism is to realize one's inherent emptiness. This is almost the opposite goal of finding one's fullness of being hiding in the code, which is the approach these presenters use as they fill their tummies with endless possibilities.

Then they mentioned that this concept is an atheist religion, which Buddhism already is. They act as though the descendents of Abraham posssess the only form a religion can take. However, do we really need another religion, atheist or otherwise?

If you want to know "is it true?" I don't have to conceptual tools to determine that. I can see the appeal, but it's protoscience.

However, I can add a position that is neither scientific nor religious:

In doing so, I mention Jean-Paul Sartre, who described the world as having two ontological categories*: being-in-itself and being-for-itself. Either something exists in itself, or the world appears for it. All of existence exists in itself, which leaves Nothing behind. This "nothing" is that which experiences things. That is to say, consciousness is a nothingness in the middle of an unthinking world. Since a thing cannot be both something and nothing, God cannot exist. Consciousness is a split within Being.

*ontological categories are the things that ultimately exist. For instance, you could say that space, force, self, and time are four ontological categories. Sartre reduces the number of properly ontological categories to two.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:52 pm

In regards to science I hate it when incompetent oafs cherry pick studies to suit their worldviews. See glyphosate for example. They cherry pick studies to reinforce an unnecessary boogieman and when they are presented with science that speaks against their worldview, it is aways somehow funded by "big {insert industry here]".
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rpgwriter on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 am

Just wondering... does this community have a dislike for science?

rpgwriter
Member for 2 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm

rpgwriter wrote:Just wondering... does this community have a dislike for science?

I don’t speak for the community, but I have nothing against science, only ignorance masquerading as science.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gwendolynaldo on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 am

Applied science is the application of scientific knowledge transferred into a physical environment. Examples include testing a theoretical model through the use of formal science or solving a practical problem through the use of natural science.

gwendolynaldo
Member for 1 years

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby jerryjames on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:43 am

The information produced by science is powerful and reliable. It very well may be used to grow new technologies, treat diseases, and deal with many different sorts of issues. Science is consistently refining and growing our insight into the universe, and as it does, it prompts new inquiries for future examination.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

jerryjames
Member for 1 years
Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!