Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library »

Players Wanted: Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players »

Seeking a mentor

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Seeking a mentor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Little_Fox on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello, I'm Little Fox, and as the title suggests I'm seeking a mentor.

Specifically I'm looking for someone who would engage in a one on one rp with me, and throughout it give me constructive criticism for how to improve. I feel like sometimes my writing lacks enough descriptiveness, and that I don't quite delve deep enough into my characters thoughts and emotions. I feel my writing may be a little bland as well. I am fairly good at coming up with a starting plot, but really need to work on keeping it interesting through the duration of the rp, to keep things moving well and keep all parties interested.

I like all sorts of genre's, but lately have really been feeling a modern fantasy if that would help gauge your interest in weather or not you might be interested in being a mentor. I would also prefer for this to take place over pm's, as it is more private and I would feel a bit more comfortable and less self conscious as I go through the learning process. It's been a while since I've done this, so I will be a bit rusty.

I know it may not be the most exciting thing to do, but if anyone is interested than please let me know via PM

Thanks!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Little_Fox
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter

Re: Seeking a mentor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:26 am

There's another user on here with the name Little Fox, but with a space instead of an underscore, so I was really confused for a minute.

PMs do seem like a fairly good option at first, but an anti-spam measure in place prevents you from sending PMs until you accumulate 10 forum posts. The Welcome Desk forum is a place to introduce yourself, and Forum Games has some long-running threads as well as a relatively quick way to get to that magic number.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vix on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:43 am

◎!Check it out!◎
◎My Interest Check◎
“All I'm writing is just what I feel, that's all. I just keep it almost naked. And probably the words are so bland.”
― Jimi Hendrix

Vix
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:13 am

qbsuperstar03 wrote:]-snip-

I was super confused, too. "Why the hell is a moderator asking for a mentor?"

Anyway he's been a member for a year so I'm sure he has his first 10 posts out of the way.

Anyway, Fox, I've been RPing for about 8 years now and role playing for 10. I like archaic and finicky, erudite, and outdated grammar rules and breaking about verb, adjective, and speech choices for denotations and trying to pinpoint exact connotations to convey ideas as quickly and effectively as possible. I also have a lot of free time, which gets filled quite often by voluntarily tearing people's posts apart, so I'd like to say I have a lot of experience doing what you're asking for.

I'm also in the process of trying to become a mentor here (as a staff position, with the swanky blue username, although Rem didn't respond to my PM) and I'd love to have this added to my resume. All I ask in return is that you try to do the same thing, and point out improvements or share ideas where you see fit with my posts as well.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Little_Fox on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:46 am

Hello! Thank you MayContainPlagerism for your interest, I have replied to your PM.

Also...Hello Little Fox! I apologize for accidentally stealing your name, but it's a nickname I've gone by for quite a long time. Sorry for any confusion.

Little_Fox
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!