Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Serious question for you all(The "WE ARE ALL NERDS" thread)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

Is April a nerd or geek?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 7

Serious question for you all(The "WE ARE ALL NERDS" thread)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:56 pm

April/Faith INSISTS she is not a nerd.

But consider the following

By her own admission, she was a moderator on THREE seperate role-playing forums.

She herself role-plays regularly as a variety of complex characters.

She almost constantly has herself logged onto the Gwing chat room, even when she's not at the computer.

She has more friends online than she does offline

Is this the lifestyle of someone who is not a nerd/geek? I don't think so.
Last edited by Teh Andy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odin on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Well, I boast somewhat of a similar record. I was a moderator/admin of 8 different forums, roleplay close to 10 complex characters consistently in different forums, and I am perpetually logged in to at least three forums at a time.

However, in retrospect, I lead a pretty healthy social life as well! I have a number of friends offline, used to participate in sports regularly (until it got too boring), go to parties and I am even heading out today!

There should be a new name to classify people like myself an April; it's not being a nerd or a geek, it is dedication. We are the new generation! COOL NEEKS!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Odin
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:18 pm

An active social life does detract from nerd-ness, but is not necessarily a deal-breaker. I still say you're a geek, even if you have a million friends.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zeph Vidal on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:42 pm

It's easier to make 'friends' on the internet. You can't apply all your in real life standards on the friends you meet on the internet, because it really makes no sense. That makes it easier for a person to consider an acquaintance of the internet a 'friend.' Because of that, it only makes sense for a person to have more online friends than real life friends.

Zeph Vidal
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:53 pm

I have a girlfriend, a ton of friends, I snowboard, I paintball, in the winter I'm usualy at a party every weekend, in the summer I'm usually out at the lake every weekend.

I'm still a nerd. Why? 'Cuz GWing's my home. 8)

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Thank you for being a man about it Zhelir, nothing worse than a nerd/geek in denial

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odin on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:44 am

<_< I do hope that isn't meant to insinuate that I'm a "nerd/geek in denial."

Odin
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:36 pm

I think it was

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Face it, the fact you come to this site, makes you a nerd. :)

The fact you roleplay, or even roleplayed makes you a nerd, and a non-nerd wannabe, respectively. ;)

If you can't let go of the past and the internet and bring up old things like a moron, it makes you a nerd-that-needs-to-get-a-life. (Same goes with threatening to show up at someone's house and "beat them up" because of something that happened in an imaginary realm).

Am I a nerd?
Well, durr hurr hurr, I come to Gwing. :D

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Ace Darkfire wrote:Face it, the fact you come to this site, makes you a nerd. :)

The fact you roleplay, or even roleplayed makes you a nerd, and a non-nerd wannabe, respectively. ;)

If you can't let go of the past and the internet and bring up old things like a moron, it makes you a nerd-that-needs-to-get-a-life. (Same goes with threatening to show up at someone's house and "beat them up" because of something that happened in an imaginary realm).

Am I a nerd?
Well, durr hurr hurr, I come to Gwing. :D

EXACTLY!

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Hahaha.

=P

You are right.

I am a nerd/geek, ect!!!!

^^'

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:13 pm

And if you weren't, April, you wouldn't be the person we know and love.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Aww... that' s sweet.

And to the person that voted no... Thank you. =P I have however accepted the truth and have embraced it.

^_^

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odin on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:50 pm

<_< That's ridiculous. First and foremost, no one is entitled to merely add coming to this site to the definition of what constitutes a nerd, least of all, any of you. (This is directed mostly towards Andrew and a bit at Ace.)

A nerd, by definition, is “an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit.� This could be constituted as Roleplay, but let’s continue.

Obsession: The domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

As stated before, merely having friends that exist outside of the continuum of Role Play immediately breaks one out of the “nerd� moniker, as one cannot have friends if being "obsessed" with roleplay.

I enjoy to Roleplay but by no means am I obsessed with it; it is something that I can occupy my free time with, note I didn’t say all of my time, while simultaneously exercising my writing skill, conditioning my typing speed and, in some cases, enlarging my vocabulary. This also deviates from the “nonsensical� aspect of the definition, as it has several benefits.

Having “even roleplayed� thus does not automatically make one a nerd, and you would both do well to remember this.

I don’t know how you both meant to came off but, Andrew especially, it seemed to me that you were rude. I merely stated that I wasn’t a nerd and both of you automatically assume and state that I am in denial. (Though I may have misconstrued this fact with Ace, Andrew clearly stated so himself.)

Respect me and you will be respected in turn.

Odin
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:07 pm

I never said you were in denial. In my post, there is no mention of you directly, I said it out in general.

And Nerd no longer means what the dictionary says it means any more.
A Nerd is anyone that does anything out of the normal in any given person's eyes.

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odin on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Then I apologize to you Ace; though not mentioning me directly doesn't mean that it's not about me. It just appeared that it was because it came right after Andrew's post so, once again, sorry.

And Nerd isn't quite the right word there. I think a "non-conformist" would work better in this situation.

Odin
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:04 pm

Odin wrote:<_< That's ridiculous. First and foremost, no one is entitled to merely add coming to this site to the definition of what constitutes a nerd, least of all, any of you. (This is directed mostly towards Andrew and a bit at Ace.)

A nerd, by definition, is “an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit.� This could be constituted as Roleplay, but let’s continue.

Obsession: The domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

As stated before, merely having friends that exist outside of the continuum of Role Play immediately breaks one out of the “nerd� moniker, as one cannot have friends if being "obsessed" with roleplay.

I enjoy to Roleplay but by no means am I obsessed with it; it is something that I can occupy my free time with, note I didn’t say all of my time, while simultaneously exercising my writing skill, conditioning my typing speed and, in some cases, enlarging my vocabulary. This also deviates from the “nonsensical� aspect of the definition, as it has several benefits.

Having “even roleplayed� thus does not automatically make one a nerd, and you would both do well to remember this.

I don’t know how you both meant to came off but, Andrew especially, it seemed to me that you were rude. I merely stated that I wasn’t a nerd and both of you automatically assume and state that I am in denial. (Though I may have misconstrued this fact with Ace, Andrew clearly stated so himself.)

Respect me and you will be respected in turn.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh my god... that's funny.

Okay, aside from the fact that you obviously care wwaaaaay too much about whether or not I label you a nerd (and I do), the fact that you went to such lengths to defend your position and label yourself not a nerd, makes you even more of a nerd.

I'm reminded of the phrase, "Fighting on the internet is just like competing in the special olympics- no matter who wins, you're still retarded"

Which is exactly why I don't go to such ridiculous lengths and compose posts such as yours to try to prove a point on something so ridiculously stupid.

Get a life dude. Who cares? Suck it up and move on.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odin on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:30 pm

Once again, you are no one of power to add onto the definition of a nerd! >/ Doth thou not understand?

Primarily, I'd like to address the fact that you think "internet fighting" is worthless...and yet, you reply? If you honestly thought it was of no consequence, you would have left well enough alone. <_< But you feel the need to try and prove that you're better than I am by purporting a semblance of apathy.

Touche! But far too diaphonous a veil.

My second point to make is, basically, I enjoy arguing, almost as much as I like to roleplay. Gets your wits nice and excited; but, unless you actually have a way to defend yourself or your point, I can see how it wouldn't be as fun for others, such as yourself :(

If the topic of being a nerd is so "ridiculously stupid" <_< why even make a thread about it in the first place?

As a good man once said, "all things are subjective!"

Odin
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Hey...

Calm down. This topic was mainly for me anyways. =P

Can't we all be friends?!

=P

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Because it's amusing. I don't have to argue, you do it all for me. I just sit back and chuckle and poke fun at you for it. This topic was made for the sake of my amusement and I must thank you for continuing to push it in that direction.

You're a nerd dude, hardcore. Might as well just accept it and move on.

LOL, I can just imagine the parties you go to- LAN parties and Anime Movie Nights.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.