Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Sex Scenes in Roleplay?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Sex Scenes in Roleplay?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaytayy Emm on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Do you think it's okay to actually describe sex scenes in a roleplay? As long as it's 1x1? I think it's fine over PM, don't you?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kaytayy Emm
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Debate

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:52 pm

If it isn't driving the storyline, it doesn't need to be in the roleplay. Period.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mobpeace on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 pm

I think that the response lots of people seem to have to sex in RP's isn't necessarily the right one. You say, "If it isn't driving the storyline, it doesn't need to be in the roleplay." While I do agree, that sex should be kept out of public RP's -- after all, anyone can get to this site -- I quite thoroughly disagree with that statement.

If you RP with that in mind, characters lose the traits of themselves that don't contribute to the story. Small tics and little details. Are they necessary? Theoretically, no. But, the RP is a lot more fun if its a large, involved, detailed story. Not just a plot.

If all you try to do when you RP is push forward the plot, you create a very boring and dull, nondescript handful of sentences.

Mobpeace
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Remæus wrote:If it isn't driving the storyline, it doesn't need to be in the roleplay. Period.

I would think that whatever does or doesn't need to be contained in RP is up to the preferences of those involved, really. How can anyone decide for someone else what needs to exist for someone else's RP enjoyment? I do see your point, Rem, and I respect it as an adult who tires of unimaginative young teens who seek out cheesy hook-up stories for a good time. But I don't agree with the statement. Just because one aspect doesn't rule the root of a story doesn't make it unnecessary. That would make most novels a pretty dull read.

Yanno now that I think of it, obviously it was just awkward wording. I know you don't mean to rule out things not driven by the plot. :3 I'm sure you tire of having to defend necessary rules.

In a website open to RPers of all ages, it cannot be allowed. For graphic intimacy, Pup, I suggest emails or IMs. It's a rule for the sake of the board, not for personal opinion. I prefer graphic intimacy in my RPs as well. It's realistic for me, and romance is a big part of human life. But it's also something that must be kept private for the sake of young eyes--and to avoid offending people. If it's not allowed on the board, it's simply not allowed. I also suggest broadening your RP horizons a bit. You joined an RP board knowing the rules. Raising qualms about them once you join won't do you much good. Try to find enjoyment in what is allowed.
Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darcy on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:20 pm

I think sex scenes are one of the most interesting and intricate parts of a role-play; that is, if it's not badly written. Just piecing the movements and words together are hard to do, and most of the time the scenes sound fake because people don't really put much effort in to it. I think it's wonderful to describe sex scenes in a role-play, but you also have to be aware of the rules. (take it to the pms, etc.) Personally, I like sex scenes, but they are not necessary if the story doesn't revolve around it. I have a decent RP idea that'll be good for a few sex scenes via pm, if you want to join send me a message. :D
I love DCLXVI and Kira Walker to the third degree.

Darcy
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Let me put it this way. In most good and classy movies, they don't go into details on the sex scenes, even the important ones that drive the plot. Sometimes they do, because the sex itself IS an important part of the plot, it is a plot point. But generally, no, you don't need to have internet sex with your fake RP girlfriend.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Again, if a sex scene is well-written, it's driving the story. It's fleshing out (no pun intended!) the characters, a very important part of storyline progression.

However, when two users are going back and forth for their own enjoyment, that shouldn't be part of the public storyline - take it away to PM, IM, or other private chat.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: Sex Scenes in Roleplay?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fang_Wolf_Assassin on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:03 pm

So your saying that if a sex post is well written detailing everything, it drives the story? On the contrary, that scene could help CONTRIBUTE to drive the plot.

On the other hand, maybe people just want to write well in sex scenes than just stuff like "Sally humped Tim. Tim moans." Thats not a sex scene at all...yet thats what I feel like your dumbing it down to Remaeus, in my opinion.

Fang_Wolf_Assassin
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Echo on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:08 pm

I agree with Ramaeus. Unless it helps the characters over some 'emotional foothold' it really isn't necessary. However, I also enjoy what Darcy has said. When they get well-written, very detailed, and flow well, sex scenes are hella' fun. However, you must check yourself and make sure you aren't just doing this because you have a momentary increase in hormones xP

In short: If it is well-written and has a point, it is a good thing, but it must be kept within the circle of people who are participating.
- http://www.roleplaygateway.com/under-the-white-sheet-ooc-sign-t26650.html -
Under The White Sheet - Vampire RP - We need serious, long posting, RPers! Join now!

Echo
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Ok i agree half with Remaeus and half with Darcy on this one... sure if it is a small part of the story and is well written then it's do able...but in my opinion an rp only about it is just well how should i say it....perverse? On the other hand yes it should only be in the PM's or things private....which is another reason to kepp your profile info Private...but there are more ways to look at it....ye sthere is sex in real life which means it can fit into and rpg but as long as there is not to much in an rp it makes it in my opinion ok... agree? disagree? But yes sex is a difficult matter here and well it must be taken seriously... and another thing i'm not sure if anyone has noticed... has anyone evr thought about the dangers of Harassment in RolePlayGateway?

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fang_Wolf_Assassin on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Harassment happens all the time in here and every other forum, its part of it...

Administrative edit by Remaeus: Actually, the staff members of RolePlayGateway work very hard to prevent harassment of any sort.

Fang_Wolf_Assassin
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyrwolf on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Having sex scenes = okay.

Describing sex scenes = not okay.

Give me one good reason why we should know how their hips move, what they said, and what went where. I've had plenty of RPs with sexual themes and implication, and they've yet to take away from my characters.

Vyrwolf
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaytayy Emm on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:39 pm

Woah, no need to get huffy! :-) If this upset anyone, sorry, then just ignore the board. I was just trying to see people's veiws.

Kaytayy Emm
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Remæus wrote:Again, if a sex scene is well-written, it's driving the story. It's fleshing out (no pun intended!) the characters, a very important part of storyline progression.

However, when two users are going back and forth for their own enjoyment, that shouldn't be part of the public storyline - take it away to PM, IM, or other private chat.

This I agree with. Also teehee, fleshing.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:55 pm

On a semi-related note, I don't believe that 1x1 roleplays belong on forums, either. But that's another debate for another day. :)

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaytayy Emm on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Remæus wrote:On a semi-related note, I don't believe that 1x1 roleplays belong on forums, either. But that's another debate for another day. :)

Haha, Remaeus, we meet at last! Lol. ANYWAYS, what if you PM them? I think that's okay.

Kaytayy Emm
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I was on another forum were sex rps were allowed and someone complained. So the admin made a mature section which was password protected... of course kids still got in. XD I don't agree with sex in rps tho. I dunno it bothers me to see how far people will go. PM'ing is fine. Just keep it off the boards/chat please.
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sir Hotbod on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Hinting sex scenes is probably the best thing to do, in my opinion. :]

Sir Hotbod
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Maybe we should make a mature section....but there would have to be certain Precautions so that no kids could get in....it would have to be like flawless...

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sir Hotbod on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:42 pm

People can fake their age, there's no 'flawless' way people can't get in. XD;

Sir Hotbod
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!