Should it be a legal requirement to vote?

a topic in Politics & Governance, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

National politics and the governance of the population.

Should it be a legal requirement to vote?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemiKara on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:44 pm

In the recent US election, only 55.4% of the population that is eligible to vote, voted. In effect, the president elect was chosen by 26.3% of eligible voters. (1) This means that only just above a majority of eligible voters did vote. do you believe it is a civic duty or a civic right to vote? Further, if you are against mandatory voting, what do you believe can be done to incread voter turn out.

(1) Wallace, Gregory, and Robert Yoon. "Voter Turnout at 20-year Low in 2016." CNN. Cable News Network, 12 Nov. 2016. Web. 13 Nov. 2016. (http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/ ... nout-2016/)
Patcharoo says: She's the squishiest in the game...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DemiKara
Member for 9 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Donated! Contributor Historian Completionist Maiden Voyager Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Should it be a legal requirement to vote?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:49 pm

I am against mandatory voting. What do you want to do if someone doesn't vote? Shoot or jail them? A mandatory anything is just a step towards totalitarianism. If you want to increase voter participation offer more options and make it easier to make a political party and stop thinking with a two party system.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:50 am

Funny you mention that because I had just got done a few days ago thinking about that very same question. For a country that is privileged to have the right to be free and empowered with liberty, I don't think it would be right to force people to vote because, in my personal opinion, it would infringe on American values. Not everyone wants to vote, and in the case of this election, there was a vast majority that didn't want either candidate - although some ended up making that crucial decision in the end. Of course, there are alternative parties, third-party candidates, and you even have the option to write in a candidate of your choosing. But, unfortunately, we live in a country where we are practically guaranteed to either get the Republican or Democratic candidate; and unless there is a drastic change in the way we conduct ourselves politically, I don't forsee that changing.

Now, I'm not going to try to insinuate anything with what I'm about to say, but, there is one huge problem that presented itself in this election. Being informed. If we forced everyone to vote, you would risk the chance of allowing uneducated and misinformed voters to make this all-important decision. Don't be fooled. This is a huge decision, and people need to be in the right state of mind before making it. The media ran the table in this election, and there were so many contradictory sources and stories being published that it was hard to make an informed decision. And honestly, I don't have any solutions to fix that. One day, I was watching television and I got hit with back to back ads soliciting why the other candidate was unfit to serve. It was kind of crazy to see that happen because within a matter of a minute I knew why either candidate either deserved or didn't deserve to hold office. On the same day, you could flip between Fox and CNN and basically hear contradictary arguements. We live in a nation where it is truly hard to make a decision on your own because we are constantly being bombarded with other people's opinion which inevitably evolves into the views we hold. Views we didn't necessarily think for ourselves before making.

Plus, I truly believe there is a lack of diversity out there. A big thing we are hearing right now is the fact that one candidate won the popular vote, and the other won the presidency. The big question is why? If you look at the map you are going to start to realize that obviously, the majority of counties voted red. But, some of the largest populated counties such as those we find in New York and California went blue. Back to the diversity gambit, I'm not basing any of this off fact, but, you could gander that these are places where those who are doing well for themselves call home. On a news agency just the other day they were talking about the diversity within universities, and the students protesting. Many of the teachers are liberal, and there is a huge gap in diversity there in terms of political leanings and views. So, there is a lot of factors that play into voting and the level of diversity and population density in particular areas.

I did vote, and it happened to be my first time voting even though I've had the right to vote for several years now. I'm going to keep who I voted for to myself, but, I think it is fair to say the candidate who won did it under what the constitution calls for. Another debate I would love to see is on whether or not the electoral college is needed. For the longest time I couldn't understand why it existed at all, but for the first time, I finally understand its implications. Without delving into some of its history, which is out there, for good or bad; the bottom line that I took from the history lesson was that our forefathers feared democracy to some extent. There is this huge debate out there about this country being a democracy, and I would say without a doubt we are not a democracy, but a republic. Many people think they are one in the same, but the truth is, they are not (which is also probably debatable).

A democracy invests itself as a group while a republic is more about the individual. How does that play into voting, and in particular, the electorate? Our forefathers feared a majority, and some of this I read can initially be tied into slavery (which I refuse to delve into). But, for modern implications, just look at the electorate map for this year. Better yet, imagine if we had a dominant group within this country that didn't have Americas best interest in mind and that this group all voted. They would naturally change the electoral and win, even if they only lived in scarce population centers scattered around the country and their presence wasn't felt in 95% of the counties around the nation. That is what the forefathers feared, the majority. A lot of people are going to dispute this because of the nature of this election in particular, but, it is a valid concern.

Regardless of the election's outcome this year, there was going to be consequences. Now, I understand this question wasn't directly aimed at what we just witnessed, but, I suspect it stemmed from it. I've been quite passionate and vocal in this election, and it has actually changed my career aspirations drastically as I feel it is my civic duty to get involved in public service. There is such a level of complexity tied to voting and its various moving parts and I don't think anyone is ever going to get it right. We live in such a connected world with so many varying influences that it would be hard to get everyone to vote, and especially to do so while being informed. Quoting here, but, as I've heard, "opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks." Everyone interprets things differently, so, it is really hard to say how we should tackle voting efforts moving forward. Everyone has skeletons in the closest, everyone has special interest, lobbyists, and outside support. But, how do we decide right from wrong?

Kind of at a loss for words because I feel like I'm reaching for some kind of philosophical answer here. Right from wrong? How do we decide what is right not just as a nation, but the world in general?

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:02 am

DemiKara wrote:Further, if you are against mandatory voting, what do you believe can be done to incread voter turn out.

There are only two viable choices. If both of those choices are shit, well, you get a shit turn out and also votes for harambe. I'm honestly not surprised.

Also. The outcome doesn't represent the majority vote.

Also. American elections are a fucking circus.

It's an issue rooted both within the system and frankly *godicantbelieveimabouttousethesewords* American culture. Politics are just a part of it, it's that debates are based on accusations, it's that the media is biased as fuck, it's that not just the media but even the people make it a with-us-or-against-us tug-o-war where everyone not on your side better move their ass to the back of the bus.

Everything about these elections screamed "Fuck respect for others!" More than ever before. From all sides (not just Trump+supporters, but everyone). If I knew how to make that change I'd be Scrooge McDuck-ing in big fat stashes of cash, but what I do know is that more votes is not the solution. Mandatory or not.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Hey guys, as a heads up, I just want to let you know I moved this thread into the new Politics and Governance sub-forum.

And because it would be rude to leave without an opinion~

I'm also against mandatory voting, because you do something like that, you begin to strip away at the freedoms we currently enjoy. I believe it is a civic duty to vote, though I'll be the first to admit my hypocrisy because I didn't vote. As for what could maybe increase voter turn out? Better candidates maybe? Somebody or somebodies that would make someone want to vote? I feel like the reason people don't vote is because they feel like there's no reason to. Maybe give them that reason? I dunno.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Talisman
Member for 10 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Spearheader on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:44 pm

I mean, without going into the implications of mandatory voting practically, I think it kind of defeats the purpose of political representation to force people to support political agendas they don't necessarily, well, support. I do get that sometimes people that obviously would support a certain party if they paid more attention to this sort of thing exist, but you'd have to prove to me that there was an imbalance of these people on one side or the other.

That said, I'd rather get into a discussion of what it would mean for a country to have mandatory voting. Who do you think would be represented more?

Spearheader
Member for 3 years
Conversation Starter Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 am

I'd be in favor of mandatory voting, but with abstention as a permissible vote -- which allows people who have a moral, religious, or political reason (or just nonchalance) to not have to choose between ballot initiatives / candidates / etc. However, I also have a lot of problems with the setup of most democratic states (that's not to say I espouse outright anarchy, or totalitarianism of any kind either, since I have serious or even worse issues/opinion on those approaches).
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

Stunning letter from autistic survivor of electric shock torture in USA

Ylanne
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!