Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Signs That a GM Won't Continue/Start the RP

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Signs That a GM Won't Continue/Start the RP

Tips: 0.75 INK Postby mombie on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm just feeling incredibly disheartened these days in the non-multiverse setting. I don't understand why people start a Universe only to not start the actual RP or to only disappear after one or two posts made by themselves. I feel like I have stumbled across a lot of these, and I have only two active RPs, one waiting to start after the holidays but the GM was kind enough to let us know, and maybe two others that could have some potential. However, I spend a lot of time on graphics and writing my characters and developing relationships, so it gets disheartening to see all the effort to go waste.

So, in the spirit of saving people from putting effort into RPs that may not start or may not continue, what are some signs that you notice with RPs that did not progress or even start?

• Incomplete Home Pages. I don't mean the people that get new characters in overtime and don't update it, but I mean people that only have the pictures of their own characters up and NEVER put other characters in while people complete their CS profiles. Of all my active RPs, they have a complete list of characters on the Homepage - even if they may or may not be updated to reflect changes as the RP went on. The latter is fine - not adding characters to the home page when they replace others or come in while the RP is going, but when they don't add the characters in before the RP starts - it is usually a bad sign.

• Checking to see if the GMs have completed other RPs they made. This is a big one, I think, that I am going to start learning to listen to. I'm a big believer in giving people second or third chances, but my time is my time. I don't have a lot of it to waste on characters that will never be used.

Also, another question I have is this one: Is it bad form to continue the RP without them or to take their Universe and just move it to your own so that you can accrue new members and move on? It's practically stealing, but in one of my RPs that barely got into anything, the GM and who I assume is their friends both ghosted early September.

I get that life happens and such, and sometimes there are extreme situations in which people have to drop off the face of RP without warning, but most GMs that have an issue and can't continue the RP should be kind enough to let their players know. Maybe even hand the reigns over to someone that is willing to take them and move the story forward. It's really not that fucking hard, I think.

Non-Multiverse RP really suffers from a lack of persistence, and I am in only two that are going strong. I've seen a few more that are fine, too. But this whole I've made characters for like 8 RPs and only three of them are actually going, is just terrible.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.75 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Re: Signs That a GM Won't Continue/Start the RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 pm

mombie wrote:I don't understand why people start a Universe only to not start the actual RP or to only disappear after one or two posts made by themselves.

I don't understand this either! I always thought people would be a lot more passionate about maintaining universes they've created, but what do I know... it'd be great if we could find more ways to help them succeed, but it seems dedicated creators are few and far between.

One thing I feel helps is just jumping in to other people's stories, as someone has to be the person to write the next post, so it may as well be you. Maybe you don't even get a response, but at least the next eager adventurer has something they can respond to!

mombie wrote:Is it bad form to continue the RP without them or to take their Universe and just move it to your own so that you can accrue new members and move on?

I think posting in inactive settings is a great way to bump them back up to the top! Maybe other players will see the ongoing scene and decide to join you, effectively ending the inactivity without any action from the original creator. I generally think it's better to contribute to what already exists (to make it better) than to copy and start fresh, as collaboration tends to lead to the best outcomes.

Who knows, maybe the original creator comes back and starts posting again thanks to you! Be the change...
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Posted Elsewhere.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Zodia195 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:31 pm

Speaking as a GM, I can tell you how hard it is to find people interested in an RPG sometimes. I know for a fact that the site isn't as active as it use to be when I first join and I've seen plenty of RPGs that never got off the ground. I stopped questioning it at this point.

I was lucky enough to get permission from a GM to recreate her RPG, but there is another I would love to recreate also by another GM. I only plan on focusing on my current RPG for now, but someday what I may do is take one of the ideas of that old rpg and make major changes so it's only loosely based and I won't be stealing someone else idea. I've been roleplaying long enough to know that RPGs nowadays aren't truly original since they share similar themes.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 1.50 INK Postby Lord Saethos on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 am

As someone who has made rp's that don't get off the ground or die, I can say it's complicated. Firstly, you've got things in life that can get in the way of actually moving forward with creating the RP to its fullest, but can also get in the way of continuing the RP once it's started. However, I am part of an RP (Lords of Rock) which has managed to have significant (and consistent) periods of inactivity, but we manage to get back on the horse every time and keep going. That's largely because we've managed to find a group of people who are consistent in sticking with this story, even if it means things come to a halt for a few weeks, or even months.

If I could find groups like this for my own RP ideas, I can tell you that starting them (and continuing them) would be much less of a problem. Of course, too many RPs means too much to juggle as well, which has also been a problem. Sometimes you've got several really cool stories you want to turn into RPs, but then you go and do it and you just can't manage them all. I'm sure there's a way to manage several RPs and be active in all of them, but it really comes down to having a strong core group that will remain consistent. It helps keep the other members inspired enough to stay active and keep going, as well as the GM.

And as I'm sure we can all attest to, this has been an issue in roleplaying for a LONG time. I saw this for years when I was on Gaia in the Roleplay for Fantasy, Love, and Action (RPFLA) guild, and I know it happened elsewhere too. Roleplaying in general is just not being widely supported and marketed like it used to be, like when Gaia would have hundreds of thousands of users on at one time in the heyday.

My time in LoR has shown me though that it's crucial to have regular communication with your group (like Discord or something), decent chemistry between the members, everyone staying consistent in posting (or even just in being social with each other, that chemistry helps keep you interested in going back), and finding ways (with respect given to the lore) to create your own fun as a player (or GM). There's more to it than that I'm sure, but you really do need to develop better connections with the people you roleplay with, and you need to approach every roleplay knowing there will be parts that are a little more boring, but sometimes you need to get through dinner to get to dessert. Anyways, enough rambling from me, but I hope this provides some information for others to think on.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.50 INK in return for their work.

Lord Saethos
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Group Theory Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration Lifegiver Person of Interest Novelist

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!