Silver & Blood

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Silver & Blood

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm

{Lit/Adv+}
Modern Werewolf

The following roleplay is a
private roleplay between
Modesty and xnightxelfx.
While you are welcomed to
read along, we would please
ask that you send us a PM
to ask before joining. Please
be aware that there may be
adult themes present in the
following writing. Thank-you.

Silver & Blood
══════════════════════

Dante Corbin
• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Welcome to small town, nowheresville. With a population under three hundred, it was barely a blip on the map. Its survival was based on the constant influx of travellers, weary from the road. These strangers came and went, seeking food, gas and shelter at the last stop on the highway before they entered the large national park that the town bordered on. Like all small towns, everyone had grown up together for generations. The entire town was built from founding families that came with a lot of history, and a lot of secrets; some that never saw the light of day.

• • •

“Three Jamesons, and one for yourself.” The overweight man in a tartan jacket called out, placing a few bills on the table to cover the tab.

The dark haired bartender behind the counter eyed the trucker, noting the flush that had already coloured his stubbly cheeks and slurred his tongue a little. Still, he’d seen men pass through worse for wear and still hold their composure; truckers seemed to be a sturdier breed of man with a penchant for booze, telling stories and a habit of tipping well. It didn’t take more than half a second for the bartender to oblige, pulling a green bottle from the shelf behind him and filling four shot glasses. Three were slid to the unknown patrons at the bar, the fourth raised to his lips.

“Cheers.” He nodded, before tipping the burning liquid past his lips. The three truckers did the same, before rising from their stools and ambling out the front door to take a smoke break.

Dante cleared the glass wear away, and busied himself with a rag to wipe the sticky bar down with. The establishment was little more than a whole in the wall. The inside was all wooden tables and crown molding made to resemble a European pubs, and easily would have been labeled of dive had there been anything within miles to compare it to. Still, the beer was cheap and the liquor wasn’t watered down, so people kept coming back. Not to mention there wasn’t much else to do in the small town after the sun went down.

Hazel eyes rose from the task at hand as one of the rowdy locals called out to him. “Dan, another jug… on Sam’s tab.”

“Fuck you, pay for your own shit.” Another male yelled back, who could only be assumed to be Sam, and punched the first speaker in the arm.

Dan smirked as the other locals cracked up around the pair. Tucking the rag into his back pocket, he stepped out from behind the bar to deliver another pitcher of beer to the table of rambunctious young adults. It was quickly becoming apparent that they all knew each other fairly well. “I don’t care whos tab it goes on as long as it all gets paid this time… or I’ll take it out of your hides.”

His smirk widened into a grin, though tone was playful. He barely listened to their responses as he made his way back to the bar, stopping only to see who was walking through the door as it swung open again.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Modesty
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Re: Silver & Blood

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 am

Brielle Taylor

“Are you sure you seriously want to live here? It’s a shithole. There seriously had to be some better jobs in Seattle with me than being…here. Wherever here is.” The blonde Katie was saying. She was sitting on top of a box that was marked in permanent marker as “fragile,” and running her hands through her waves of bleach blonde hair. Brielle Taylor was standing across the room from her, giving Katie a slight glare as she attempted to coax her cat, Sampson, out of his cat carrier.

“It’s where they offered me a job, they need people here. Anyway, I’ll only be here for a year, maybe two if things work out alright. And it’s not a shithole. It’s…got personality.” Brielle answered, frowning as Sampson hissed at her, puffing up his fur even more.

She gave up trying to coax the enormous ginger cat out and sat back on her heels, looking around at her new place. She was renting it and in all honesty, it wasn’t great. It was dark and the kitchen was tiny with questionable looking appliances, but it was the best she had. Katie was her best friend and old college roommate, a rambunctious girl who liked to party and have a good time before thinking about her future. Brielle was the opposite, she’d always focused on graduating and getting a job, but now that she was here she was uncertain. She was newly hired at the elementary school, who had told her they were severely understaffed. So here she was, sitting in this dark little rental house, in this tiny little town. Tomorrow Katie would leave for her long trip back to Seattle and Brielle would be here…alone.

“Oh, I know!” Katie said, suddenly jumping off her box and clapping her hands excitedly. “I saw a bar somewhere in town. We should go, celebrate…whatever this is,” she said, waving her hand at Brielle’s house dismissively.

Brielle already knew it was pointless to argue, Katie always got her way once she had something in mind. “I mean, it’s the only thing there is to do and I’m like so bored.” She continued.

Brielle got up off the floor, about to start arguing with Katie that she didn't want to go out, but the girl was already tearing open the box that had clothes marked on it and was throwing stuff out. “Here, get dressed.” Katie said, tossing her a white summer dress with little lace flowers stitched onto it and a black belt on the waist.

“This is way too short, I’m supposed to be a teacher now.” Brielle protested, but Katie wasn't even paying the slightest bit of attention. She was already at the mirror to fix her own appearance.

Twenty minutes later and the girls were at this so called bar, Brielle hanging back uncertainly. This looked like the kind of place that she would be unwelcome in, considering no one knew her yet. Katie was fearless though, and she stepped forward first, throwing open the door of the establishment. Brielle followed hesitantly, her short white dress threatening to fly up in the wind.

When she was inside, she could feel her heart pounding in her veins as eyes turned to look at her. Her own green eyes took them all in slowly, running a nervous hand through her wavy dark brown hair, and then adjusting her dress, pulling it up on her chest a little bit more; she felt very exposed suddenly (why hadn't she brought a jacket?). When she realized Katie was already walking toward the bar, her cheeks flushed a deep red as she stood awkwardly by herself. Brielle bit her lip and then followed in Katie’s footsteps toward the bar.
I tried to do handstands for you but every time I fell for you. I'm permanently black and blue, permanently blue for you.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 am

“Hey, take a seat anywhere.”

The words erupted forth from his lips out of habit, a greeting said to any new patron that entered the dive bar. It was friendly enough, even if it was rehearsed. Hazel eyes slid over the pair that he had never seen before. It wasn’t overly uncommon for travellers to drift in and out of the establishment, but the two young women were far from the usual suspects.

Dante returned to his position behind the bar, leaning over the counter and putting his weight on his palms as he pressed them into the smooth wood. The weight showed the definition of his muscles even in the dim light of the bar, hinting at lots of his free time spent working out. Beneath his tight, black v-neck t-shirt was sure to be a lean body that had been expertly cared for. This was common in small towns, where there was little to do besides drinking; having seen the effects he generally stayed away from alcohol, which left his time spent in other… hobbies.

From the high top tables around the room came catcalls and whistles as the women entered further into the bar. Two of the younger men, who had just received another pitcher of beer, rose and circled the pair much like wolves circling their prey. All the while their eyes sized up the new women.

“Damn, woman.” The first said, to no one in particular.

“Hey momma, I like whatcher workin with.” Said the second, sliding on the bar beside Brielle. His breath was thick with the scent of alcohol, his words slurred slightly beyond his rural accent.

Dante watched as the fearless blonde made her way to the bar, followed by the woman in the white dress who was enveloped in nervous energy. Both, particularly the woman in white, seemed in stark contrast of the surroundings. She smelled of the city, and looked like Hollywood. A floral sent of perfume floated around them, masking the subtle scent of sweat from a good days work.

He cleared his throat, locking eyes of the drunk that lingered near the pair. He turned his eyes to face the bartender, and it was clear they knew one another. The eye contact, while brief, was clearly challenging.

“Piss off, Sam. You’re drunk, you know the rules.” His voice had a stern edge as he held gaze with his friend. After a moment the drunk, Sam, obliged and returned to his friends mumbling under his breath.

Dante turned his attention back to the women, his gaze lingering on Brielle before turning to Kate. He offered a charming smile with a soft shrug.

“Sorry about that… locals.” He paused, “What can I get for you?”

Modesty
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:49 am

Brielle had hesitated when a few of the guys in the bar had come over to her and Katie, walking around them and catcalling. She could practically see Katie beaming at what she might consider “compliments,” but Brielle flushed an even deeper red. When she heard someone talking to her, she raised her gaze to look at the guy leaning on the bar, and she crossed her arms across her chest, trying to cover up some of her bare skin. She knew this was a terrible idea, this just wasn’t the kind of situation that she liked to be in. Half the time in college, Katie would drag Brielle to the bar and then abandon her there when she found a guy to go home with, and she wouldn’t be very surprised if she tried to do that tonight. In fact, the way that she sauntered up to the bar as soon as she saw Dante leaning against it, Brielle was sure that’s what she would try to do.

Brielle herself was immediately curious in Dante’s exchange with this Sam person, her eyes flicking up to his when he spoke to Sam, threatening the other guy. Slowly, her gaze drifted down to take him in, lingering on his muscle-lined forearms and what she assumed was a body of pure muscle and…This was exactly the type of thing that she shouldn’t bother thinking about, it was ridiculous.

When Sam went to sit down, Brielle made the last few steps to the bar, taking a seat on a barstool next to Katie, who was leaning against the bar, strategically pulling her shirt down lower and flaunting her generous cleavage. If she hadn’t been sitting right next to Katie, Brielle would have rolled her eyes at her behavior.

“I’ll tell you what,” Katie said, flashing Dante a big smile. “Since you so generously saved us,” she said, lightly nodding her head toward where Sam and his drunken group was sitting, “I trust you to make me anything you want. I like to try new things.” Katie added, her eyes sparkling with the anticipation of a conquest. Right at this moment, Brielle wished that she hadn’t asked Katie to help her move her stuff. When Katie was done flashing her chest at Dante, Brielle looked up at him again, running her fingers through her hair and giving him a small smile. Now that the bar was mostly silent again (or at least catcalls weren’t being directed at her), she was more relaxed. Slightly.

“I’ll just have some water,” She said, holding up her hand dismissively. Katie immediately rounded on her, giving her a small glare. “No, we’re celebrating,” She insisted, a hint of whiny (Brielle suspected it was supposed to be “cute”) tone in her voice. Brielle did roll her eyes this time, but glanced back at the bartender and sighed. “Whatever’s on tap,” Brielle corrected, her green eyes meeting his again.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Dante watched the pair take a seat at the bar, his smile unwavering as the conversation continued. His eyes wandered down to the exposed chest of the blonde as she set it on display, though immediately returned to her face. The man was not unaware of the innuendos that dripped from Katie’s flirting words, though he managed to contain his laugher (barely), and put on the same light-hearted attitude.

Anything?” He said, nearly chuckling. “That’s a lot of trust to be placing in a stranger. I could just be setting you up to watch you fall…”

His voice trailed off, message sincere though tone clearly joking. The large man set to work, turning his back to the pair to view the severely limited selection of liquors and liqueurs he had at his disposal. A calloused finger tip ran across the varied glass bottles, pausing on a strong bottle of bourbon a moment; she certainly wouldn’t have liked it, but the amusement value would have been enormous. Still, it was an establishment and it required customers, so his hand skipped to a clear bottle with a picture of whipped cream on it. An ounce was poured into a silver tin with ice along with a few other liquids before it was shaken and poured into a rocks glass. The sweet-tasting drink was set in front of the blonde.

“Let me know what you think.” He said, before turning attention to the brunette.

Dante’s eyes drifted between the pair, following the familiar dance of dominance back and forth until the brunette was over ruled. He was quick to pour a sleeve of beer, setting the frothy glass on the wood in front of her.

“Beer is mostly water, anyways.” He offered with a shrug and his smile broke his features again. His hazel eyes lingered on Brielle’s green gaze, breaking away only after a couple heartbeats.

“Celebrating? What are we celebrating?” He asked, genuinely curious. “And why are we celebrating here in Wainright, of all places… “

The implication was clear that he knew they weren’t from the surrounding towns, apparent in how they contrasted almost everything in sight. They smelled of the city, any city that was hours of driving away from the small town they had stumbled upon. Dante always liked to know where his patrons were coming from or heading to. It was really the only glimpse into the outside world he had. Life had always been within the same place, though admittedly his was more exciting than most of the other locals.

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:17 am

“We’re not really celebrating,” Brielle explained as Katie took a drink of the concoction that Dante had presented her with. Brielle was quite for another moment, running her fingers over the cold sides of the glass that he’d given her, slowly raising it to her lips and taking a small sip. She knew that Dante was aware they weren't from here, it was painstakingly obvious even if this wasn't the kind of town where everyone knew everyone. Still, she hesitated, almost worried to say that she was going to be living here for a year (maybe two) to an actual local, like he would laugh in her face or something. This wasn't really the kind of place that she belonged in, everyone knew that.

“I’m working here,” Brielle said, raising the glass to her mouth again more because she wanted to hide the flush of her cheeks again. “For the school.” She added after she set the glass back down.

“Oh come on, it’s totally worth celebrating,” Katie chimed in, half the drink in her hand gone already. “This is so good,” She said, turning her intense gaze to Dante again, clearly displeased with the amount of talking that Brielle was doing. “I knew I could trust you.” The blonde added, biting her lip and flicking her hair teasingly. Katie got up from the bar slowly, taking every opportunity to show off bare skin as she did so.

Her eyes searched around the room, settling on the half-faded sign that pointed the direction to the restrooms. “I’ll be right back,” she said, running her fingers through her long blonde hair. “Don’t have too much fun without me,” She said, giving Brielle a kind of warning glance, as though she was trying to stake some kind of claim on Dante. Like Brielle was going to sit here in the five minutes she was gone and somehow enchant him into falling in love with her. Please.

When Katie turned around and was out of earshot, Brielle looked back at Dante, her expression apologetic. “She gets cut off after two,” Brielle said, holding up two of her fingers and laughing slightly. This was kind of an awkward situation for her, because she wasn't at all the type who was ever going to try to pick someone up in a bar, and she wasn't entirely sure how Dante felt about Katie’s obvious suggestions, but it was probably annoying non-the less.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Dante listened back and forth to the commentary between the two friends, seeming genuinely attentive. While they explained how they had arrived to his off-the-map town he poured himself a glass of water.

“Ah, Em mentioned someone would be turning up soon to cover the vacant position.” He said, eyes switching between the two. “Lucky us, getting two instead of one, and attractive to boot.”

Again, a warm smile broke his features as he easily offered the compliment. Dante returned Katie’s gaze, lips dropping to her lip that was held between her teeth, smile widening slightly more. Once more he nodded, seeming to agree with what she was saying.

“I agree, it sounds like something worth celebrating. Here’s to new jobs, new opportunities, new adventures and new friends.” He offered, holding up his glass of water for cheers. He said nothing of the trust the blonde now placed in him and watched her as she excused herself. Once she had slipped through the door designated for “Dolls” he turned his attention back to Brielle.

Brielle laughed, and Dante joined in- noting her musical sound seemed much more relaxed when her friend was gone. “I’ll start watering it down now, then.”

“I’ll warn you, you’ve got your hands full at that school. Em, that’s Emily Dempsy- she’s the Principal, well she has a good handle on most of it, but there are a few that can get a little wild. I should know, most of `em are family.” Again, that slow smile broke his face in the moment of honesty. “The truth of it is, we tend to play by our own rules out here.”

Dante took a sip of the water before he set it on the counter, then extended his hand out for a shake. Should Brielle choose to take it, it would have become immediately apparent his skin was warm. Very warm. More like hot, edging on feverish though without the calmy palms. His hands were calloused in a sure sign that he knew his fair share of a hard days work.

“I’m Dante, by the way.”

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Tue May 07, 2013 12:12 am

"It's actually just me," Brielle corrected Dante, reaching out to take his hand. "She's leaving in the morning." She said, nodding toward the bathroom where Katie had disappeared to. When she slid her hand into Dante's, she couldn't help but raise her gaze to meet his, her eyes obviously surprised by the warmth of his hand. She almost wanted to ask if he was feeling okay, but she knew that no fever would heat the hand like this. Brielle pulled back her hand quickly, hoping it didn't appear rude. She was startled by the warmth, but she liked it. Briefly, she wondered if the rest of him felt like that.

"Brielle," She said, feeling a little flush in her cheeks. Her fingers closed around the glass in front of her, the coldness greatly contrasting with the previous feeling of his skin. Quickly, she raised it to her lips, hoping it helped to hide the redness in her skin. After a good long drink, she placed it on the counter again, hesitantly lifting her eyes. Her intention was to meet his gaze, but she was distracted by his very strong looking arms and what she was certain was a very muscular chest.

"So what kind of rules are these then?" She asked, taking yet another large swig of her beverage, which at this point was more than half-way gone. Oops.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 pm

“Ah.” He said, staying quiet a moment while he digested the new information. “Well aren’t you brave. It’s a pleasure, Brielle.”

Dante spoke slowly but surely, pulling back his hand in the same manner when she pulled hers away. In the dim lightening he didn’t notice the new colour in her cheeks despite the fact that his gaze on her was unwavering. A small smile flickered at the corner of his lips at her prying question, as if there was some private joke he’d been caught in and wasn’t sure how to share.

“Respect, loyalty, family, community… the usual small town values, just a little more feral…”

His voice trailed off, though not for lack of things to say. Movement had caught his attention at the far side of the bar and his eyes narrowed. The blonde had emerged from the bathroom with a bounce in her step only to be intercepted again by the two prowling drunks. Again they were circling, though this time they were being joined in by a few more that had previously stood by and watched.

“Sam.” He called out that man’s name again in a low voice that neared a growl. Sam scarcely paid attention, his faculties negligible in his current state. This escalated quickly from cat calls to reaching out and touching. The moment Sam’s hand reached out and grabbed Katie’s arm was the moment that Dante reacted, and the moment that the blonde realized the situation was more serious than she thought. For all her attempts to shake the young man off his grip remained iron clad, and it wasn’t long before his friend had his hand on her waist too.

Dante excused himself, lifting himself up and over the bar in a swift and agile motion. It seemed to only take a couple strides for him to cross the bar. He landed a hard jab in the second fellow’s side, pushing the air from his chest and causing him to double over. A sweeping movement upwards broke Sam’s hold on his price and another quick movement had Sam thrown into the wall. His forearm pressed against the drunk’s throat, his body pinning Sam- who wasn’t a small guy himself- in place.

“Bar’s closed, get the fuck out.” He said, loud enough for every one to hear. His voice was even, forceful.

“Hey, hey, Dante… we’re just having some fun, no need to over react.” One of the guys called out.

“I said out.” He replied, dropping his arm and letting Sam gasp for breath as he shoved him towards the door. He followed them out, leaving the women inside along for a few minutes while he saw the locals off.

When Dante returned he stopped short in front of the women. “Ladies, I apologize on behalf of my cousins. I hope they haven’t scared you off. This isn’t what you can expect here, I should have cut them off a long time ago but they were celebrating… anyways, you’re welcomed to stay, or I can walk you out to your car.”

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Brielle was about to ask Dante what exactly he meant by the word 'feral,' his entire statement confusing her. He absolutely sounded like he was keeping some private joke from her, and it made her feel more uneasy than she had a moment ago. She hadn't exactly picked this place to come work, it had pretty much been given to her, and unless she wanted to delay her career, she couldn't really say no. So yeah, she kind of wanted to know what it was she'd gotten herself into here. The next few minutes more or less demonstrated that to her though.

She'd turned her head as soon as she'd heard the small commotion in the direction that Katie had walked off earlier, but before she could so much as open her mouth, Dante was already jumping over the bar and starting to break up the situation. She watched in a half-speechless manner as the two men wrestled, Dante pushing the one he'd called "Sam" into the wall with ease. Katie had hurried past them back to Brielle's side, who slid a comforting arm around the blonde's waist. Brielle really wasn't sure how she felt about this situation, but she was probably not going to be coming back here.

When Dante returned, Brielle had pushed in their chairs and started to gather up the few things they'd brought. She gave him a small smile, shaking her head. "I think we should leave." She explained, still holding onto Katie. She reached into her purse and extracted a twenty-dollar bill, sliding it on the counter. "Thanks for..." She started to say, and then let her voice trail away, not entirely sure what she was wanted to say. She was thanking him for the drinks and all, but also for kind of saving Katie a moment ago. Hopefully he knew that.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Tue May 28, 2013 4:48 pm

A single finger stopped the bill from sliding across the counter, pushing to reverse it back to it’s owner.

“Please, my treat.”

He hardly thought that it was the first time boys had fought over the blonde haired girl, though she was clearly shaken. The flirtatious glimpses at ample cleavage and the sway in in her hips previously had spoken volumes for how she thought of herself; Helen of Troy had come to small town. Nowhere. Still- blondes had never caught his eye and even less so as she trembled in her friends arms. For all the big time city that he smelled on them a small bar brawl seemed nothing yet it had left them shaken. Still, he knew how intimidating his kin could be; all teeth and testosterone.

“Of course.” He said, cutting the thanks short. It was unneeded. “I’ll walk you out.”

His arm spread towards the door, a gesture for the ladies to go first. Dante paused to reach behind the bar before taking a few strides to catch up in time to open the door for the pair. The parking lot was empty, save for a vehicle he didn’t recognize and his bike. He unceremoniously led them towards the mystery car, reaching to open the passenger door. When Katie had taken her seat he set the bottle of the whipped cream vodka in her lap.

“A souvenir, or an apology… whatever you’d take it as.” He said, offering a charming smile. He caught Katie’s hand and planted a hot kiss on the back of it in a hope to return some of the flirting and fluttering back to the shaken woman. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Miss.”

He then moved to the drivers side, opening it for Brielle.

“It was nice meeting you as well. I’m sure I’ll see you around, hopefully soon.” He sounded sincere. “If not, you know where to find me. The first beer is on me.”

Another smile before he closed the door. He stood in front of the bar until the car dropped out of view, turning around the bend and heading towards. As soon as they were out of sight he turned, there was much to discuss.

Somewhere down the highway, just before town, stood a wolf on the side of the road watching as the women passed before it retreated into the trees. That night, the sound of howling could be heard in the nearby National Park.

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Katie had never been one to be easily frightened, and certainly not by guys "fawning" over her, but this time she had been. Brielle had never seen her quite so shaken, which only concerned her until they got in the car and Dante had handed her a half-bottle of liquor and a kiss on the hand. He probably knew that was the perfect cure for the frightened blonde, who could focus her attention to Dante once more, as though nothing had happened before. She had wanted to thank him again, but she already knew that he would brush it off, so when he bid her farewell, she said nothing, just gave him a smile.

As predicted, when she slid into her car and drove, Katie had already gone back to chattering about Dante, stating her disapproval of the fact that she was going home with Brielle instead of with him. Brielle listened diligently, not daring to make any comments about her words. Instead, she kept her eyes glued to the road, doing a small double take when she thought she saw a large animal at the side of the road. What had it been, a dog? "I doubt I'll see him again," Brielle answered Katie's question, rolling her eyes as she stared back at the road, no dog in sight. "Unless he's going to be hanging around a school and I seriously doubt that." She added with a sigh. It hardly mattered to Brielle, she wasn't really here to make friends or...boyfriends or something. It wasn't her priority, and she wasn't like Katie, guys didn't just flock to her and fall for her with a bat of an eyelash.

Brielle really wondered how it was that Katie could go from shaking and frightened to her normally bubbly self in such a short amount of time. It seemed like such a useful skill. Brielle was intimidated by the people at the bar, she wouldn't forget it anytime soon. at her house, she fumbled around for the keys to unlock the door, trying to see in the dark. "Come on, I think we should get to bed." Brielle said, pulling Katie into the house behind her. "Early morning drive, remember?" She added, flicking on a small light inside and locking the door tightly behind her. In the morning she would take Katie to the airport a few hours out of town and then she would truly be alone here.

Laying in bed that night with Katie stretched out beside her, taking up most of the room, Brielle listened to the sound of the howling. It made her feel incredibly and inexplicably lonely.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm

A few days had passed since Dante had met the newcomers.. The bar has reverted to its usual self- the same faces, and the same strangers. The people drifted in and out like some kind of middle of nowhere waypoint, though none of the interactions were as exciting as the late night rendezvous. That aside, life in the small town was pretty consistant- from the friendly greetings, to the uniformed store fronts and homes, to the howling of wolves that could be heard every night. For as long as he could remember things had been the same; stagnant to preserve the constant change that needed to remain unseen.

The school bell rang loudly, ripping through his thoughts and turning his green eyes from the pavement and up to the front door of the old building. Twin red doors flung open and children of all ages flooded out. The stingy population of the local area forced the school to house grades straight from K to 12, though the students didn’t seem to mind. It required flexibility and adaptability in the teachers, which had required many replacements over the years. Briefly, he wondered how Brielle would fair, and if on que he saw the face to fit the name.

“DAAAANTEEEE!!!!!” The name, his own, split through the volumes of laughter and spilt forth from the mouth of a child running towards him hampered only by a backpack a size too large for him. The elated tone quickly dropped to a pout. “No bike today?”

In a lithe movement the solid man pushed himself off of the beat up old truck he was leaning against to be assaulted by a tight hug from the boy. Dante exaggerated a grunt, as if he were being strangled around the waist by the kid- Tainn. “You know your mom said no more bike until you’re older. She’d rip my throat out if I didn’t listen to her—“

“But you never listen to her.” Tainn interrupt, which brought a devious smile to Dante’s face. Dante laid an oversized hand atop of the boys head.

“--And, I need to stop at Jess’ Market to get a few things for the Annual tomorrow.”

At mention of the weekend events, Tainn turned on heel and waived to his teacher, beckoning her over. He didn’t wait for her to oblige, however. Taking Dante by the hand, and Dante allowing himself to be dragged, hauled him over to the brunette standing by the door with the other teachers.

“Miss Taylor, Miss Taylor! This is Dante. Dante, can Miss Taylor come to the barbeque after the Annual? Miss Taylor you’re going to the Annual right? It’s a big festival that happens every year where everyone makes food and sells things and tells stories and I get to eat lots of candy and chocolate. Everyone goes it’s for the whole towns birthday or something, it’s lots of fun and then after we throw a big barbeque at the farm and everyone dances and plays and tells stories and the adults get all silly but only some people are allow to come because we don—“

Dante slid a hand across the mouth of the child. He was laughing then, and had been smiling bemusedly through out the epic story that came spilling out of Tainn’s mouth with barely a breath.

“You’ll have to ask your mother, but I’m sure Miss Taylor would be more than welcome to join us for food and dancing. Although, I’m sure your teacher has more exciting things she’d rather be doing.” Dante was watching her now, eyes fixated on hers, eyebrow slightly arched as if questioning whether she’d accept the invitation.

“You forgot your jacket again Tainn. Why don’t you go grab it and meet me into the truck.”

“Shoot.” He said, and darted inside.

When the child was out of earshot he laughed, digging his hands into the pockets of his worn jeans in just a way that made his button up plaid shirt seem just a little too tight on his chest. “If Tainn is in your class this year you certainly have your hands full.”

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Brielle was taken aback when she found herself face to face with Dante again. Honestly, she'd kind of avoided going anywhere that she might see him, or anyone that had been at the bar that night for that matter. It wasn't like she had expected to move here and feel right at home or anything, but she actually felt very isolated from anyone, like she just didn't fit in. For the first few days at school she'd tried to make friends with the other teachers, but everyone kind of just dismissed her, or politely talked to her about school or the kids, but nothing more in depth than that. Actually, the main reason she even knew about this Annual festival was due to the numerous colorful signs hanging around the town. No one actually discussed it with. Brielle had an honest suspicion that the other teachers had a bet going around about how long she was going to last here.

Her eyes moved away from Dante to Tainn as he started talking about twenty miles an hour, listening to his words, nodding along with interest and a smile every now and then. She had no chance to get a word in, but it hardly mattered, she would only be telling him that she probably wouldn't be joining in on the Annual festivities, nor the apparent barbecue afterwords. He seemed so excited about it that she didn't have the heart to say that though, so she was glad that she never had the opportunity.

Brielle looked at Dante again, meeting his questioning gaze for a moment before she turned to look at Tainn running back into the small building. She had to admit, she was slightly confused. In the short time that Tainn had "introduced" her to Dante, she he hadn't been able to decide how, if at all, they were related. For a couple minutes she'd wondered if Tainn was Dante's son, but he'd introduced Dante to her as 'Dante' and that would be weird right? Besides, the glance she'd made at his left hand before he slipped it into his pocket revealed no sign of a wedding ring.

"I do," She answered him finally, letting a small smile cross her face. Brielle had tried very hard not to think about Dante after that night, but she had anyway. Now that she was standing across from him again, she remembered why, he was so smooth. "I love having him, but he really can get excited." She added, forcing her eyes back up to his face instead of looking at that very flattering plaid.

"You really don't have to...it was sweet of Tainn to offer, but I'm sure you already have a full guest list." Brielle said, running her fingers through her long brown hair. Brielle definitely didn't have anything more interesting to be doing except a date with her couch eating ice cream, but she didn't want to impose either. The whole thing that Tainn had started to say about only 'some people' being allowed to join them wasn't lost on her. Brielle most definitely wouldn't fit in with anyone there, she was so out of place in this small town.

Of course, if Dante asked her though....Brielle could feel her cheeks flushing.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 pm

“Darlin’,” He said, letting a little more of his drawl seep into his deep voice. “Out here there is not such thing as guest lists.”

His eyes were intensely set on her, though smile was friendly and welcoming. The corners of his mouth twitched, as if he were hiding a laugh to some sort of private joke that he didn’t elaborate on. Dante didn’t continue Tainn’s train of thought or explain who was or wasn’t ‘allowed’.

The green gaze relaxed a little, “There is plenty of food and drink, though I understand how our community might be a little intimidating at first.”

Was he calling her out? The grin, widening just a fraction said yes.

“Just a friendly tip though, the Annual is mandatory. If you don’t show up you’ll always be an outcast. Small town politics…”

His voice trailed off. A woman walked by, shouting her hellos to Dante and calling him by name. His hand raised in a friendly greeting, though he didn’t turn to address her. By that time Tiann had come racing from the front doors again, heading straight to the truck, though loudly beckoning Dante to follow. It was only then that he broke his gaze eyes looking over his shoulder at the child and then back to the teacher.

“I’d like to see you tomorrow. It’ll give me a chance to make a better first impression of how we spend our past times here. “

With that he turned, taking length stride to his truck. He paused before opening the door, calling up to her. “If you decide to come, save me a dance.”

The few people that were left in the school yard looked to Dante and then up to the newcomer. His smiled brightly before jumping into the driver’s seat. The engine roared loudly to life and pulled away in a slow but surefire way.

✵ ☪ ✵

It was a few hours before the rickety truck had rolled down the long and winding dirt driveway, pausing only so that Dante could open a steel fence and close it once the vehicle had past the threshold. Behind the truck was a cloud of dust, marking his trail, as if it hadn’t been marked already.

The Corbin family and it’s associates numbered nearly thirty, with six children. Only four lived in the heritage style farm house, freshly painted at the end of the driveway. Though two guest houses at the edge of the wood in the distance was home to eight more, and the rest of the kin were scattered through out the town. Still, it was a rare sight to have an empty house, and this night wasn’t one.

As the engine cut and died, Tainn jumped out of the door at a running start and disappeared behind the house with a gang of children all laughing and pulling at their clothes. Dante’s vision didn’t follow them, but instead raised to the strings of white lights that created a canopy coming out from the front deck as some kind of starlike shelter for the two dozen picnic tables that had been arranged in light of the after party on the morrow.

The front screen creaked as he Made his way through, arm full of boxes of produce. Already sweet and spicy scents filled the home from cooking; tomorrow would be a feast. His stomach growled in approval. Once the boxes had been set on the counter he went straight for a large stock pot, lifting the lid and taking a taste from the wooden spoon.

The hand of her woman, well past middle age, smacked his and scolded as a child. He grin, but obliged, and returned to the front deck where the slender figure of a woman stood but not before grabbing a glass of freshly brewed iced tea. She, like him, had olive skin and dark hair. Her pretty features didn’t hold any of the humour Dante seemed to hold towards life.

“Tainn invite his teacher tomorrow, the new comer.” He said, low.

The woman sniffed the air, turning big and serious eyes to the taller man. “City… we’ll have to be extra careful.”

He grunted, “No different than any other day.”

Dante leaned over the porch, taking a long sip of the cold drink. His eyes focused pasted the lights and tables and set on the forest. His mind, however, was on different things.

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Brielle had spent the night sitting on her bed and listening to the sound of howling. It was a sound that she had mostly grown accustomed to, she loved it. At first it had sounded so lonely and sad, but now she could hear the music to it, the different tones and voices. Now it comforted her, like the wolves somewhere in the distance were her secret friends, the only ones who truly knew her. It was a stupid thought, one a ten year old would have rather than a twenty-two year old, but she didn't care.

It also gave her plenty of opportunity to ponder Dante's words. She knew perfectly well that Dante was right, she would be an outcast here forever if she didn't try harder, but it was a challenge for her. In Seattle, in a big city, she'd been able to blend in. It wasn't like she hadn't had friends, and the occasional boyfriend to share her bed, but she wasn't constantly surrounded by people, she didn't stick out, she just was. And she'd been happy like that. Here, she stood out wherever she went, if not just because she was new here. It had turned her into a mouse, afraid to move about the lion's den, afraid to draw attention to itself.

The alarm clock had gone off early, much too early for a weekend, but Brielle had been diligent about it. She convinced herself that she was just trying to get into the Annual spirit and that's why she'd spent an extra long time curling her long brown hair until it fell into perfectly cascading curls down her back. Or why she'd carefully done her make-up to accentuate her green eyes, her lips a bold cherry red. Why she'd spent too long picking something to wear before she settled on a floral sundress, a matching ribbon in her long curls. Sure, she told herself she'd done all those things just to look nice and presentable, but she was downright lying to herself. There was a certain eye that she'd hoped to catch.

It was easy enough to walk across town from her small rental, so that's what she'd done. When she first stepped onto the crowded street, she paused, her nerves returning. The walk over had been the easy part, she'd mostly been alone and it wasn't hard to feel confident under all the pretty clothes and make-up she'd put on. Now that she was here, she was reminded that this wasn't her territory. The bustle and excitement of the people was slightly infectious though, so Brielle was pulled into the crowd.

Her steps carried her from small vendor to vendor, and surprisingly she even had a few people greet her. Mostly the other teachers, or maybe some of the kids in her class. For the first time she didn't feel so awkward. Maybe she was underestimating herself. Though so far she hadn't seen Dante, or Tiann who she thought might be with him. She wasn't disappointed...

Brielle had spent a half hour wondering around, and she was just trying to decide when it would be acceptable to go home when one of the little stands caught her eye. Glittering in the sun was an assortment of jewelry: bracelets, necklaces, earrings. Her fingers reached among the necklaces to turn a silver wolf pendent in her hand, it's eyes a sparkling emerald color. It was beautiful and she was inexplicably drawn to it, just like she was to their enchanting song every night.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:35 pm

“Wolves mate for life.”

The voice was deep and suddenly at her ear. Sometime in the moments when she had been fixating on the necklace Dante had made his way through the crowd and appeared behind her. The difference in their height was obvious, again, in such close proximity. He looked down at her, offering a smile before letting his gaze wander to the jewelry.

“The green eyes aren’t accurate; they’re born with blue eyes though they turn golden before they reach maturity. It’s representative of forest spirits that they are believed to channel. They’re thought to be guardians, or warriors hand picked by Mother Nature.” The information came unbidden, pausing only for him to pluck it from it’s display. “May I?”

Large hands deftly undid the clasp and slid it around her neck, doing it up again. Behind the stand an elderly woman chattered away in a foreign language, eyes slipping from Dante to Brielle and back again.

“Nais tuke, Daj.” He replied in the same tongue, nodding his head in a seemingly uncharacteristic show of respect.

Attention returned to the teacher. “She says its yours. I’ve thanked her.”

Dante took a step back to admire it on her. “It suits you. Why the wolf?”

His lean form was show off in the usual out fit of a v-neck t-shirt and jeans, despite the last warmth of summer increased by the clear skies and relentless sun. Again his hands had slid into his pockets giving a casual appearance despite his unflinching gaze.

As townsfolk wandered by they shouted there greetings to both Brielle and Dante, the general mood of the population elated by the holiday. Even above the scents that lingered in the town square like popped corn and funnel cake he could smell the sweetness that wafted from Bri’s skin, like perfume or lotion that was so uncommon amongst the locals. It hadn’t been difficult to pick her out of the crowd; his eyes had constantly been scanning the sea of familiar faces.

He stood, quiet, waiting for an answer.

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Of course Dante's sudden appearance had startled Brielle, making her jump a little at his voice in her ear. She felt like he was always just finding her somehow, not that she complaining about it. She watched him with large eyes as he took the necklace from the display and put it around her throat. Briefly she wondered if he could hear her heart beating faster when he touched her. This was ridiculous, she felt like a high school freshman all over again. Brielle raised her fingers to touch the wolf that now rested in the hollow of her throat, her eyes following Dante's and the older woman's conversation.

Her brows knit together in a confused expression as soon as he spoke in a different language. Seriously, what else was he hiding? "No, I couldn't." She said, shaking her head as though to decline the offer. It was a polite gesture, but one that she knew would be turned down, the pendant already rested against her skin. She turned to the woman, offering her a smile. "Thank you." She said, even though she was unsure if she understood her words.

Brielle turned back to Dante, her fingers once again playing with the new found trinket. Why a wolf? She smiled, her cheeks turning a shade of red Dante was probably familiar with by now. "I can hear them," She said, looking up at him under her long lashes. "Every night. The way that they sing. In the city, that's not something you would ever hear." She added, letting her hands fall away from her throat.

"You sound like you know a lot about wolves." Brielle said, taking a few steps away from the jewelry stand with a last appreciative glance at the woman. "I wish I could see them. I mean, I've seen a wolf in a zoo before, but that's not the same. I bet they're so beautiful...free." Brielle gave Dante another smile, a small laugh escaping her lips. Yeah, she was totally in high school again.

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:03 pm

“I’ve read a few tourist pamphlets” He shrugged, falling easily in step with her with his long strides.

Dante’s gaze turned away from its fixation and towards the crowd. People milled about the street, wandering from booth to booth and buying finely handmade goods. They paused for conversations, waving even to the bartender and teacher on occasion. Dante would nod his head in greeting and flash a smile, but he continued to elaborate.

“There is a pack that runs in the National Park this town boarders on. My family’s lands actually stretch into it. They hunt there regularly, but it’s rare to see them. If you stick around long enough you just might…”

He glanced sideways at her, a grin pulling at his lips once more. “…Like maybe tonight, at the barbeque?”

Subtle. Very subtle.

His head turned suddenly, cutting through the crowd. On the far side were a pair of young men calling him and waving him over, one of whom was at the bar the first night of Brielle’s arrival. Dante put his hand up in some kind of signal, before turning to face the woman at his side.

“Forgive me, I need to go. They need help setting up for tonight.”

His hand caught hers, a surge of heat radiating off his skin and against her fingers as if he’d just walked through fire. He quickly planted a soft kiss on the back of her hand, the flames caressing there too.

“Come tonight.”

It wasn’t a question, or a request, but an unthreatening order. He flashed a quick smile again and then disappeared into the crowd. Moments later he jumped into the back of a jeep and was off.

A moment later a slender young woman, not much older than Brielle, stopped at her side. Her eyes were following the jeep disappearing around the corner. Her face was pretty though stern, and recognizable as the librarian at the school.

“The Corbin’s run this town.” She volunteered. “It’s good to make friends, but don’t get to close. He’ll eat you up and spit you out like you were a little pig and he’s the big bad wolf.”

Natalie, the librarian, turned her eyes to Brielle with a look of a bit of pity. Her fingers pressed to her lips as if she were saying something she shouldn’t have. “Let’s get tea sometime, Brielle. I’d like that.”

She placed a hand on Brielle’s shoulder, squeezing as if to offer comfort, and then was called away.

✵ ☪ ✵

Muscle flexed as Dante helped his cousin hoist a rather large hog on a spit over an open fire. It’d already been mostly cooked, but now it’d been basted and primed for the final flames before consumption. By the time the guests started rolling in it would be ready, and they would eat.

Tables were already filled with varied foods; bread, fruits, at least nine different kinds of salads. A barbeque had been lit and filled with chicken and burgers. Dessert was somewhere amongst the feast as well.

The olive-skinned woman from the night before sighed and leaned back against the porch, sipping at a glass. He could smell the rye over the smoke. Distanced closed between them and he placed a kiss on her forehead. “Take it easy on that stuff Tala, there will be outsiders tonight.”

“Relax, Dante. It’s a new moon, there won’t be any accidents. And this is my first glass. Besides, I’m not the one that you need to worry about.” He head nodded towards his cousin who took a deep drink from a metal flash.

Dante grunted. “I’ll handle him if the need arises.”

Tala laughed, but it wasn’t friendly. “You always do…”

Dante gave her a reproachful glance before heading towards the steps. “I’m going to take a shower.”

The screen door shut behind him. When he emerged again, smelling of musk and cologne and clad in jeans and a button down shirt, the front yard was full and it was dark. People were laughing, eating and dancing, and off to the side a band was getting ready to play. His eyes automatically scanned the crowd, looking for one face in particular.

Modesty
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xnightxelfx on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 pm

"What does that even mean? Do you think he just wants to sleep with me and then never talk to me again? Maybe he does that to everyone." Brielle said, her phone pressed against her ear. She was sitting in her car, watching the lights of the barbecue that she'd been so graciously invited to, trying to decipher Natalie's earlier warning about Dante and his family. She hadn't even had the chance to ask a question before Natalie had walked off, but it had certainly soured Brielle's mood for the rest of the afternoon.

As much as she hated to admit it, she was so drawn to Dante. He'd enchanted her from the moment she set eyes on him, and no matter how hard she'd tried to convince herself otherwise in the past week or so, it was the truth. He was the flame and she was the moth.

"Oh my god, if you fuck him, you have to tell me." Katie said, mostly (okay completely) ignoring Brielle's concerns. "I want to fantasize about it."

"That's really not the point, Katie. And that's...that's not happening anyway." Brielle said, hitting her head against the steering wheel in frustration. Obviously calling Katie and asking her about this wasn't exactly helping her. Brielle had considered every possible angle of Natalie's warning. She could be completely telling the truth about Dante and the Corbins. Or she could be one of his ex's who was jealous. She could have been turned down by him. Dante could be the biggest player in the town who only wanted her for one thing.

Yet Brielle was here. She couldn't possibly say no to his invitation (order). The way that he touched her, spoke to her, looked at her with that stupid half-grin like he had some secret joke...She wanted so badly to believe that he wasn't just being nice to her. She wanted him to want her. Who cared if it was just for a one-time thing? She couldn't stop thinking about the way his hands felt when they touched her, or the way his lips had felt against her skin. She wanted more of that, and not just on her hand. He was the flame and she was the moth.

"If that did happen, I wouldn't tell you anyway. I have to go. Thanks for the advice." Brielle said sarcastically, hanging up the phone as she heard Katie start to beg to hear about everything. She tossed her phone into the empty passenger seat and took a deep breath, preparing herself. She still wore her same outfit that she had earlier, her make-up perfectly retouched. Okay...Dante wanted her to be here, so she was here. Brielle ran her fingers over the wolf's head on her throat for good luck and then got out of her car.

She was largely ignored as she walked into the excited crowd of people, the excellent smell of the food laid out hitting her nose. As she wound her way into the main crowd, a few people greeted her, and she gave them all a sincere smile back. Natalie's warning must be wrong, Brielle didn't believe that Dante would hurt her. Why she thought that, she didn't know. Brielle was the mouse in the lion's den. Or in this case, the rabbit among the wolves?

xnightxelfx
Member for 10 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!