Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Simulationist RPG

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Simulationist RPG

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby swedenplus on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:14 pm

I have realized am very simulation oriented role player.
When I watched movies always viewed fantasy I liked to believe this was an actual universe that I was seeing through a dimensional hole.
I knew intellectually that everything was just plot devices but I when the rule of fun failed or
the moral of the story game I just couldn't believe anymore and I got so depressed.
No rpg is completely realistic but can be a simulation.

I always wanted the world or a planet even if it goes against story or makes the players character unimportant.
When we encountered monsters and they killed us, it wasn't important how balanced or unfair it was
that the Game Master dropped that threat on us.
What was important to me was that the monsters always was that hard and the monsters always could show up
because for me that was part of the simulation.
If the GM drops monsters on us all the time then my idea of the setting is changing
and if the monsters disappear just because the story changes
I would imagine that my character should grow paranoid.

The new or current games saddens me
they don't help you to pretend that they are realistic and they ignore the world around the characters when it conflicts with some sort of plan.
Role playing games such as Fantasy Flights new editions
and World of Darkness, D&D fourth edition and many more.
Some settings are just about that dungeon or what you need as plot devices
and in world of darkness the world around you doesn't exist
instead it changes depending on the story.
Fantasy games have replaced realism with
acceptance of the bugs in the system.
Some games have embraced a intentional childish.
Instead of growing up and making the games more realistic.
Logic of the setting is made more childish and unrealistic.
Worst of all are the games that aim to create an emotion and not a world,
The feeling the game wants to inspire comes first and not the reason for that emotions.
I am talking about settings or games where everything is ruled by aesthetics
and all npcs only exist to reflect an emotion.
They assume that all players wants the same emotion
for lack of a better word.

It is so bad that role playing games are often designed on the idea that the players cannot change the ending of the story.
How you make a character is restricted to fit the story and the way the story is predetermined by rules
to be handled or even to end.
That the players change the end, that you can die or that you can select your missions
is to me fundamental to role playing games.
World of darkness, is not rpg, its amateur theater.

There are less and less rules and systems for the objective reality around the players characters
so consistency is replace by random reality to whatever makes a lasting cool impression on the players.

What really scares me, is the increasing interest in more and more fixed and detailed rules for
what is subjective according to the character.
We have rules for morality, for what the character could believe, want, his religion,
what he knows or not knows about the setting.
These are things that used to be left to imagination, to the players interpretation
and players characters used to be wildly different and do completely wild things.

If you put these two factors together, its clear that you do longer have any freedom to do what you like in rpgs
because what your character will decide is controlled by rules for "you are role playing your character the wrong way".

We should return to the time where internal consistence with the fantasy world or Star wars universe
came first and then you walked around in that universe making a story from whatever comes in you way.
We should stop walking around in the setting and expect something interesting to happen to us.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

swedenplus
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter

Re: Simulationist RPG

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brat Prince on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:17 pm

So here's the thing, what you want is nice and all, but it only works in something like a table top or post by post on somewhere like this. With video games, which sounds like some of your problems are, it is a lot harder to do and they have to create rules. Honestly video games are nothing more then interactive movies, and RPG ones are just a make your own story version of it, like those choose your own path books. To create a game world where the player can input everything would be so hard to do and would probably lose a lot of things that most gamers wouldn't like. I would say if you are having these issues with a table top or post by post rp, you just haven't found a good GM that can create the world that you want and focus on the world outside of the story.
I am the Vampire Lestat, the Brat Prince.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Brat Prince
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 pm

How did you even manage to parse his Engrish? Wow, Brat. It was really hard to get what he was saying...something about games lacking realism because of an overarching plot?

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brat Prince on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:52 pm

I skimmed honestly guessed what they where trying to get at. Besides I was avoiding doing homework and you can achieve anything when you are procrastinating... I was honestly confused if they where talking about video games, table tops or post by posts they mentioned D&D but it seemed more about VRPGs.

Brat Prince
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!