Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

A single sentence.

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

A single sentence.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Traziel on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:01 pm

It may be an unknown sense of arrogance or elitism that I have, but I'm sure someone out there understands my pain.

I've come across quite a few RP's on this site that had a great topic or a strong central idea that could lead to a great in-depth RP. But then, just like that, almost instantly, my interest disappears and I refuse to ever look back into that topic. Why,you ask? Those damn one liners.

I'm not saying any names, but since joining here maybe a week or two ago (I forget. >_>), I've already comprised a list of people I refuse to RP with simply because I can almost predict the substance of their posts. Excessive godmoding, lack of obedience towards the rules, lack of spell check, lack of basic skill in terms of roleplaying. It just all adds up to a very disgusting sight in my eyes.

I'm no expert in lengthy posts myself cause I'm a lazy guy, but even in my times of writer's block I can at least gush out a paragraph or two that's in-depth enough to complete an action,give a reaction, and hopefully progress the situation farther than the next two seconds of conversation.

And another thing I noticed is, it's almost exclusive to the RP's that have romance tied into them. I mean, I'm down for a nice romantic scene with all the emotions entwining on a beautiful setting where the RP actually feels romantic, but things can only get so exhilarating when every other response or action is a single sentence (if it's even an entire sentence) that leaves you dangling with no way to effectively respond without taking a bold initiative.

I just felt like ranting, and was almost overjoyed to see this sub-forum. Ignore me. >_>

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Traziel
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: A single sentence.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Lmfao Traziel. I'm glad you found the Flame Wars forum. :P

I feel your pain. Immensely.

I used to read people's RPs a lot more often than I do now. Sometimes I glance through them to do my moderator duties, but I do not really read them as much as I used to. I am afraid that, in my opinion, the overall skill of the RP community of the world has greatly declined because of people posting one liners and cybering in their RPs and all that nonsense. I have grown more and more tired of people having no respect for the art of RPing, and the joy and sense of accomplishment it can bring.

I am a firm believer that RPing is a constantly learning experience. When you read an RP, you're not only reading for the story and plot, but you're reading to see how you can do better in your next post. EVERYONE has room to grow and should be growing constantly. 100% of the people doing one liners have no desire to grow, and in most cases, are only here to cyber or have some sort of romantic relations with someone else.

I really hate to say it as a moderator, but I can't stand the one liners, and when I see one, I immediately judge the person posting the junk. No one takes the one-liner-posters seriously, so they only RP with other one-liner-posters and it's just a terrifying never-ending circle. I have lost faith in much of the RP world lately, and this is one of the main reasons why. Vexar just created his own RP site where we agreed to state in the rules that no one liners are even allowed. I mean, sure, Gateway is a free-form RPing site where we do not want to cut down on anyone's creative processes, but one liners do NOTHING productive, and in my opinion, are just trash to be cut out.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:14 pm

What else can I say other than I fully agree ? Having never RPed a romance one, I can't say, but I'm apalled that so many RPs are soiled by one-liners, and it just fucking ticks me off ! That is all I have to say.

Selothi
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VarienVallesian on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:02 pm

hahah I should have expected to find you here, Selothi! Message me when you're ready to have a go at sacking my town!

It is a grave, grave disappointment when you're zipping steadily along a wondrous RP thread, and then suddenly, for no apparent reason whatsoever, you hit a monstrous snag- perhaps a paragraph pregnant with poor grammar, or better yet, and one of my personal favorites, one of those posts that are so ridiculously cheesy (not just an intentional tad for shits and giggles), but full blown, I-think-I-just-threw-up-in-my-mouth-mmm-tastes-like-omelets kind of cheesy, you're screaming from the effort it takes to restrain yourself from chucking your computer monitor through the fucking wall! No longer enjoying yourself, you are ripped viciously backwards on that monstrous snag, jerked forth from your imagination, dazed and confused, no longer able to concentrate!
Indeed, it is a grave, grave disappointment when you begin skimming such posts to pick up the essentials necessary to the plot, holding your breath the entire time, because you swear that you can almost smell the shit wafting from the computer screen! Make 'em count people!Because here, that's all you have: your word!...And maybe a sweet avatar :-) OK, I'm done haha

VarienVallesian
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Lmfao!!! B-E-A-Utifully put, Varien. I love the metaphors and descriptions. You're not even RPing and you proceeded to paint a colorful image of the message you were trying to convey.

THAT is how it's done. :)

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Abso-fucking-lutely beautiful Varien, and ô so true ! *Huggles* Yes, I thank whoever wants to listen that I don't meet those often, but they are up there with the hideous monsters that destroy RPs, that we should lock up in a place where equal cruelty abounds, let's make it ... Some American's basement ! *Racist stare ...* The End. lol and jk, of course.

Selothi
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blazekin on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:21 pm

But what about if your in a conversation with another player? You can't make them replay to you or anything, cus thats power-playing...so, what would you say to this?
Join Adeptus Astartes today and enjoy Roleplaying in the all-new world of Warhammer 40,000!

Blazekin
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, avoid your reply being one line, even if theirs is. Use description, make a little play of your character looking around himself or just doing something about his person. Even straightening his jacket and rolling up the sleeves. Things that normal people do every day that lends a better air of reality to them.

Just then Dave noticed a three legged dog across the street, he laughed quietly and tapped his friend Luther on the shoulder. "Hey, look at that fucking dog!!"

Luther's player: "Yeah, haha"

Dave shook his head in disbelief and carried on walking, the dog gradually became obscured by a parked van and Dave's thoughts moved to the party tonight.

Luther's player: "Let's go to the shop"

Dave sniffed and rubbed his chin. He was strapped for cash but was too proud to admit it. "Sure, but I ain't gonna get anything. I just ate a huge expensive lunch. What about you, gotta pick up some milk for your mum or something?" Dave chuckled slightly and looked at his friends reaction to his little joke.

Luthers player: "Yeah, milk"

AAAARRGHHHH. This is the point at which you should PM Luther's player and ask him to post more developed roleplaying. Carry on posting your little descriptions, keep a level of quality and imagination up, even if it's nothing special. The other player is bringing the level of RP down and needs to be told, but the thread should still be kept alive even if only one player is currently making the effort.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Wakboth
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 am

What right have you to use the word, "elitism", in reference to you being better when you have made another ridiculous thread to flame those people that do one liners? The "elitist" should be able to look past that and still have fun; or have _______. (I'll let you fill that)

I'm not saying any names, but since joining here maybe a week or two ago (I forget. >_>), I've already comprised a list of people I refuse to RP with simply because I can almost predict the substance of their posts. Excessive godmoding, lack of obedience towards the rules, lack of spell check, lack of basic skill in terms of roleplaying. It just all adds up to a very disgusting sight in my eyes.

Funny how the one liners can sum up what "elitist" do in 8 paragraphs. Why flesh something out more than it truly has to be? Though, I do understand the point. Just a view that disagrees with yours.

No one takes the one-liner-posters seriously, so they only RP with other one-liner-posters and it's just a terrifying never-ending circle.

And that's why everyone falls into this rut where they pick out the select few members in a particular section of the boards to Roleplay with, rather than expand and interact with newer members or any others. Now we've got categories for particular Roleplayers and if you don't fit into one category, then you don't play with others of that category. Truly, that's this sites downfall.

Yeah. Bored. Just stating a thing.

Or two.

Matthias
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby .dot on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:17 am

Interesting.

The fact that they one-line/gode-mode hurts your feelings is sad. The reason they one-line and gode-mode is for the single fact, they just can't rp. They don't even come up with their own Role-play idea's. Maybe if you spent your time teaching them to Role-play they might actuly get better, Thus leads me to a well common fact. You will refuse to train/ help them because they are a lesser being then you are. Befor you rant get facts on why they do these things.

~ .Dot

.dot
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blast on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Before you keep on going, I'm going to ask you an honest question.

Do you hate when an author makes a paragraph out of dialogue? I'll give a random example from Conan:

+++"Come near that I may touch you," the creature faltered, and Conan came forward unfearingly, his sword hanging forgotten in his hand. The sensitive trunk came out and groped over his face and shoulders, as a blind man gropes, and its touch was as light as a girl's hand.
+++"You are not of Yara's race of devils," sighed the creature. "The clean, lean fierceness of the wasteland marks you. I know your people from of old, whom I knew by another name in the long, long ago when another world lifted its jeweled spires to the stars. There is blood on your fingers."
+++"A spider in the chamber above, and a lion in the garden," muttered Conan.
+++"You have slain a man too, this night," answered the other. "And there is death in the tower above. I feel; I know."
+++"Aye," muttered Conan. "The prince of all thieves lies there dead from the bite of a vermin."

In your mind, is that bad (those last two paragraphs) for someone to do? We are, after all, exchanging paragraphs between each other, and such is bound to happen eventually, when dialogue takes centre stage.

Blast
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby morriganxchan on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:50 pm

I must agree with .dot on this point. I do not like one liners either, they halt the story and bore the reader. However, I have yet to meet a person posting one liners who actually know what they're doing. If you want to fix the problem stop bitching about it and help them learn. Most people who do that sort of thing come from fast paced chat RPs or are new altogether. Posting about how they are inferior to you is an insult to the whole RP community.

They are not lowly beings sent here specifically to make your life difficult. They are simply new, at least most of the time, and the ones who aren't were never taught because you felt you were to good to lower yourself and speak to them. Stop complaining about a problem you yourself created.

morriganxchan
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Not all dialogue requires excessive wordiness. Really, the extent to which one builds their dialogue depends entirely on the character, and said character's personality.

However, there is always more to describe than just whatever is being said at the time. People are not stone sculptures incapable of movement or expression or thought. In fact, even if they were stone sculptures, there are environmental happenings all around them, and even a statue has details which can be described.

In the end, this website is intended for everyone to RP however they like. RP is recreational; if you don't enjoy it, there's no point in it. Some people (many people) don't enjoy putting work into their posts. Of course, you've every right to be happy/unhappy with what you see, Traziel. More thorough RP is rewarded (in general) with a better reputation amongst the members and (generally) larger, more involved RPs.

Mathiias, you seem upset by the OP's post, and I'm trying to understand why. "Elitism" is often used as an insult, so I am quite sure the OP was not trying to compliment himself by placing himself on an "elite" pedistal. Now, being able to "sum up" a full set of actions and reactions into a handful of words is not a talented feat. I don't think that being able to simplify a post is something to hold over someone's head.

In so far as buddying up with a few select RPers is concerned, this is why it's so good that the site is constantly growing. There are always new people to meet and tons of new stories to try and get into. Most importantly, no one is encouraged to RP in ways they don't like. As I said, RP is for recreation. We cannot fault people for wanting to RP with people who satisfy their RP enjoyments.

.Dot, whose feelings are hurt? I simply see some folks who are disappointed in much of what they see and want to find others who feel the same as them--possibly to find RPers who may bring to the table just what it is they seek in an RP.

In the end, if someone doesn't like something and they have the opportunity to do something about it, they are encouraged to do so. In this case, mentor. Look around the Academy and help folks who ask for it.
Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Typos, grawrg!
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated!

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!