Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Someone fucking SHOOT him.

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

Someone fucking SHOOT him.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:13 am

Jack Thompson has confirmed it. He is the scum of the fucking Earth.

If you don't know who he is, Google his name. The first hit you find will either be a gaming website bashing him, or a self-righteous video-games-cause-violence website.

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/11 ... .3198.html

Focus on the actual report, not the second half, which focuses on how a website misreported it.

After hearing about this, Jack Thompson sent the following letter MetalGearSolid.org, one of the sites the person posted in, and the main one, by the sound of it.

"Your "gamer friend" will find peace through the Lord, Jesus Christ, but sadly it's too late for that.

There is a void in every heart. You can fill it up with the things of God, or the things not of God. This unfortunate soul chose to fill it up with combat games. The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

The real tragedy here extends beyond the life and death of this one fellow. There are literally millions of young people and young adults whose despair is deepend by turning to the things of this world and then finding them meaningless.

All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life. The utter inanity of the vast majority of postings here shows how vapid "gaming" really is.

You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.

Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess.

Sad. Sad for all of you."

The letter comes from (as in, I found the copy of it there, not they sent it) CAD.com

EDIT: Guess I wasn't horribly clear on my point. Which is understandable; any other time I've mentioned Jack Thompson anywhere, it's because he's a cumbucket who was raped by a video game dealer long ago.

My point this time around is not for killing everyone who thinks video games cause violence.

This man killed himself. In no place in that article can I find him saying Mortal Kombat made him realise death is the solution. Nor can I find a quote of him saying "Well, the guy shot himself in Starcraft -- I should do the same." Outside the fact that the forums he posted in were gaming forums, this subject is in no way related to video games.

Yet Jack fuckin' Thompson has to make himself known. The man is dead. Thin though my book of ethics may be, not insulting a man who just died, a man who was known to love his family and friends, is still in there. It's sick to see something like that, all for the sake of furthering the latest scapegoat for shitty parenting.
Last edited by Zhelir Darkfall on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:42 am

Hmm actually let's take a little piece of thought out of the whole Metal Gear series, and how corrupt our government really is. Seriously, shouldn't we be more concerned with the whole lot of nuclear material that we've "misplaced" than focusing on how video games are bad.

Now I've been playing video games for the majority of my life, cant deny that at all, and I do love my video games. Actually, I just got done playing some Street Fighter Alpha 3 a minute ago. However, I really think the gaming industry is bringing alot of this onto themselves.

I'm about to go into a huge ass rant, cause I do this every now and then on my blog, but I haven't for awhile so this might be some built up shit, so I appologize.

I hate most people who call themselves gamers. Back in my day all we needed was 8-Bit graphics and mono sound with very few colors and good game play. These days it seems like the video game industry (except for a few select companies) are churning out nothing but pretty graphical games that try to push on some sort of, shall I use a term from the late 90's early 2000's...yes...yes I will, XTREME, while delivering absolute shit game play, with a game that can be beat in oh...maybe at the most 8 hours while charging a price close to about 50 or 60 bucks.

I'm not saying all games are bad, just very few things are innovative anymore, and if they are any good, the vast majority of self-proclaiming gamers pass them up if there isn't blood, guts, sex, drugs, and the like. Take the whole "Hot Coffee" shit with GTA: San Andres (Horrible game btw...the last good GTA was either 3, Vice City was only good because it actually had a licensed soundtrack opposed to in house music from Rockstar). Look seriously, if your a person who gets off on horribly undetailed polygons...then well...you really don't need to be playing video games. Actually, if you take anything so seriously that you think anything in GTA can be done in real life, well...you probably need to be committed.

These days there are fewer and fewer games I like, most of which are considered old school. I mean seriously, go to your local video game dealer, look at the titles, how many of them are actually good titles (If you try to claim an EA title, good job supporting a company that works their people to death...though their Madden and NCAA are always top notch lol), and don't even get me started on the shitbox 360. I've had enough shitty third person shooters, I've become tired of the arcade-y racers, and I think I've about played out my amnesia ridden, teenage hero who magically saves the entire world RPG.

Really all the games I play lately are either Metal Gears, old school 2-D Fighters (I'm not a fan of 3-D fighters), and anything that I might remember from my childhood.

I long for the days when games were about the gameplay, not flashy graphics. When it was fun to just run across a screen jumping on evil mushrooms called "goomba's" and turtle's with wings called Koopa's, just so I could go to another god damn castle to save that princess from so evil King of the Koopa's (later named Bowser).

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:12 am

Kiyoshi, I think you entirely missed the whole point of what Zhelir posted that for. I also don't entirely agree with your logic on video games, but I'll admit there is some truth to it.

But you went way off the point of what Zhelir posted that for... If what you say about your passion for video games is true, you should be just as infuriated as Zhelir and I are about Jack Thompson and this grossly skewed mass produced slam against games of ALL types and generations.
ImageImage

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:31 am

Yeah I appologize about that, and I don't support Jack Thompson at all.

Basically all he has done is go to anyone who will listen and give misinformation, which leads the mass majority of parents and their several parental groups, along with the law makers of this nation into an entirely wrong direction. I mean seriously, shouldn't parents be the one's watching and making decisions on what their kids purchase/play, not the government?

Again I state that I think alot of the video game's bring it on themselves, even so they can't be held responsible for any actions done by unstable individuals that might get their hands on them. I mean I remember when senators were going mad about Mortal Kombat, and I played that game alot, and I haven't ripped someone's head off or anything like that. Uhg...I'm going off topic again. So I'll just try and sum up everything. The government has no right to try and restrict the art form that is video games, I think alot of these people just want to stir the shit pot to get publicity and they get the backlash that they deserve, eventually.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:50 pm

You're posting about a complete fucking dumbshit.

He gave Janet Reno, in 1988, a piece of papers saying

"I, Janet Reno, am a (please check one):
[] Lesbian
[]Bisexual
[]Heterosexual"

After many years claiming she was a lesbian and trying to ruin her career.

Just ignore his dumb ass, everyone else is, and the only thing his crusade has done, was make the GTA games become rated "M" - that's about it. If anything, he's actually boosted sales of the games rather than take them down. His logic that games make people violent is quite a bit false, there's more evidence saying that social influences (IE: friends, family, peers in school) have more impact than games. But it is true that not every game should be played by everyone. If someone gets an idea from a game to go shoot cars or something, it's a cop out so that person doesn't get a serious fine or even jail time, it will end up becoming the gaming companies fault. NO one, I mean NO ONE has gotten idea's like that (In my experience, at least, and yes, it is limited), it's just a bunch of fucknuts BLAMING games for their actions to get out of an extreme amount of trouble.

He'll find anything he can to bash any video gamers, after all, according to him, if you have so much as played TETRIS, you have no frontal lobe activity.

Ignore his stupid mother fucking ass, he isn't worth your time. Until he starts make some serious headway, as in every game violent to non-violent starts being banned, pay attention to him. It won't be any time soon, I'm sure he'll die of a heart attack before then because he'll be so stressed out from not getting anywhere.

If anything other than changing the rating of a game and boosting the sales, he's comedic gold. Some of the comedians on Comedy Central have gone after him, Penny Arcade and VGCats go after him a lot as well.

But, to the subject, that entire gaming site just proved Jack Thompson wrong, as gamers, we got a community going, much like an Army, we'll try and get fellow gamers out of a rut. We have our successes and we have our failures. And it's sad that Jack "I like it in the ass" Thompson had to say such things when a [human being].

It does NOT surprise me, however, that Jack Thompson has said those things to a gaming community when a fellow gamer was lost. He will use ANY opportunity to bash gamers - life or death - it doesn't matter to him. We have no frontal lobe activity. We're vegetables according to him. I don't know about anyone else, but my frontal lobe works, simply for the fact it controls my personality among other things.

If I've strayed from the point, my apologies.

EDIT: GAT games.... yeah... Grant Auto Theft. -_- Fixed.
Last edited by Ace Darkfire on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:23 am

Ace Darkfire pretty much hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better my self.

By the way, Tim from Ctrl+Alt+Del has also mentioned his hatred of Jack Thompson.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:19 pm

He has won another battle. Video Game Ban Made Permanent
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote:If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:05 pm

You mean lost right? The court ruled against Thompson's argument. I love how Thompson immediately accuses Louisiana Attorney General's office for the ruling when the arguments proposed were his own. I think all this publicity is actually good for video games because every time Thompson pops up in the news, he shows himself as a hot head.

Sometimes I think Thompson actually supports video games and is trying to get a Supreme Court Hearing just so he can fail there and make it official across the nation. That way the nation has a highly publicized Supreme Court Ruling they can cite, and the lower courts can immediately throw out other video game bans or restrictions as frivolous.

I never thought I'd say it, but if this is your intention Jack Thompson, I salute you.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:13 pm

Ja, that too. X_X;

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:11 pm

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

THAT MOTHERFUCKER IS GETTING HIS ASS SUED!

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/16/brea ... -thompson/

Jack thinks he'll destroy Take-Two in the process, but Take-Two is currently thinking about selling the company. So even if Jackoboy is aiming for killing Take-Two for a lose-win situation, he just hit lose-lose, because Take-Two probably won't be around to be ruined by him for much longer. Provided he can actually ruin Take-Two. His arguments against games and that particular company are less than...craptacular.

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.