Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! »

Players Wanted: Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! »

Star Crossed Generation

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Star Crossed Generation

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ConnorTavarin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:34 am

This is a roleplay about the remnants of humanity fleeing from a dead Earth. For generations they have searched the endless reaches of space in order to find a planet to colonize, and just when they thought it would never come, they arrive at Neryas. Neryas is a fantastical world with elves, magic, and a race of humanoid animals known as the Naturan. The humans land and make first contact, which proves difficult due to a language barrier. This is a story about humanity trying to forge bonds with the mysterious people of this world and learn how to adapt to the environment. The humans have no lethal, modern weapons, so no "I have a gun so I win" scenarios can happen. They have stun guns and stun rods, but nothing meant to kill someone. The setting for Neryas is your typical high fantasy story, with aforementioned magic, elves, and animal people. If you have any suggestions or questions about the story, please feel free to comment. It's still a work in progress, but if enough are interested, I can have the story up within the week. :)
star-crossed-generation-t89336.html This is my current interest check for my roleplay idea! Give it a read if you have time. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ConnorTavarin
Member for 8 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Star Crossed Generation

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:31 am

I'd be interested in this. :) Would we be playing the humans, or...?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Makenna Young
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ConnorTavarin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:44 am

This roleplay will allow for multiple characters per player and a choice among Human, Elf, or a Naturan of an animal of your choosing. (Animal must exist, however. No unicorn or gryphon races.) However, I will be setting up a required amount of characters per race.

ConnorTavarin
Member for 8 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Oh cool. :-)
I have an idea for a human and an elf, so yeah. :-)

Makenna Young
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ConnorTavarin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:31 pm

I have gotten some questions and I will do my best to answer them here before getting to work on the primary story. Note, this is from a conversation, so it may look a little weird.

Q1. Well you kind of have to lay out the worlds and races. Think about what their civilisation and the structure of their civilisation would look like, what would their culture and arts be like, what kind of resources do the planet hold, are there say, social pejudices and gender roles within the civilisation, what's their governing system, what kind of weapons do these civilisations have? Think about the fact that you're creating a roleplay, setting a scene and trying to make a new world. You don't need all of this in the interest check but you will need to give thought to the many different kinds of things to do with the culture of the civilisation you're making, the non-intelligent races which exist as livestock etc. This isn't Earth so don't neccessarily limit yourself to creatures from Earth.

A1. The elven civilization has two distinct civilizations around Neryas. One is grandeur and elegant, with towering marble statues and heavily artistic architecture. White and gold seem to be the most common colors used in architecture. Their buildings are often shaped with rounded archways for doors, a large dome at the top, or maybe even a spire, the latter especially true for cathedrals and other places to worship the spirits. Fine art and sculptures are the artistic choice of the city elves. Grand statues and finely designed paintings are the common works one will find in their cities. Their weaponry, when they’re not using magic, consists of slim, long blades similar to rapiers, sabers, and epees. These weapons may be pretty to look at, but they’re efficient in combat.

The other group of elves is more akin to wood elves, living amongst nature and making sure their interference does nothing to harm it. Their buildings perfectly compliment their area, making it difficult for outsiders to even realize where the cities are. They’re nestled around or in the trees, and their people worship the nature spirits, who in turn give them a good hunt. With their lifestyle, they are more likely to get along with the Naturan than the city elves. Their artwork consists of clays and practical wares, not gaudy statues. They prefer to leave that to the city elves. These works again help strengthen the relationship between them and the Naturan due to trade. Their weapons consist of bows and daggers, but they are capable of harnessing magic as well, but not as efficiently as the city elves.

The Naturan live in a tribal community most of the time, though there have been rumors of them creating permanent settlements lately. These supposed cities tend to be near rivers and river valleys. There are still some semi-nomadic Naturan clans that live in plains and forests. Their artwork primarily consists of carvings, trinkets and paintings, the style of which varies from realism to abstract. Their weaponry consists primarily of axes, clubs, and are slightly proficient in hunting bows. However, their natural curiosity allows them to learn other skills. They can learn magic, but mostly magic pertaining to nature, such as control over plant-life and the earth.

As for gender roles, the elves have no gender role in their society, though males tend to be the leaders more often than females. Warriors, mages, and other skill-based occupation have no gender difference, only how well they do their job. In Naturan society, men tend to take the hunting roles while women work as craftsmen, though there are cases where the roles are reversed.

The social prejudice is mainly from the city elves’ point of view, seeing themselves as the highest beings of the planet. They see the wood elves as their more barbaric cousins, treating them with courtesy, but only as far as need be. As for their view on Naturans, they see them as higher beasts, but lesser beings overall.

At the moment I cannot think of unique ways to show cattle and other non-intelligent races. I’ll gladly look over any ideas shown to me.

Q2. Besides that, what led to the ruin of the Earth, what backstory were there for humanity when they left, what period in history did they leave, what exactly did they take with them aside from supposed non-lethal weaponry which is a plothole of itself in its own right as one would expect to encounter hostile life at some point, what kind of knowledge do they still have with them of the world they left behind...

A2. For lack of a better way to put, human stupidity. Resource exploitation, excess pollution, and large scale conflict. Eventually, the human race and the planet were reduced to shells of their former glory. The last option they had was to risk taking to the stars using whatever technology they were able to salvage or create. As for weaponry, blades and other lethal melee weapons are allowed, but no firearms. Firearms are an EXTREMELY bad idea in a vacuum surrounded space cruiser. Anything that could cause significant structural damage to the ship from the inside was left behind. The most lethal weapon the humans have now is the ship itself, which is equipped with large energy weapons primarily used to destroy asteroids and meteors. They can, however, be used for orbital bombardment. Since this was not what the weapons were designed for, it won’t have any large scale effect. The primary purpose of the ship is transportation and colonization. They left Earth around the year 2200. The social structure on this ship consists of three primary personnel categories. There is a peacekeeping group aboard the ship due to increased physical resistance and strength due to gene modification. Their purpose is to keep order around the ship and act as the primary expeditionary force. Then there are the engineers, who have a balance of physical and mental strength to handle keeping the ship in order. Finally, there are the most intelligent ones, the scientists, geologists, linguists, etc.

Q3. How does the magic work? Runes? Catalysts? Pacts with Elementals? Chants?

A3. Magic will work in such a way that it varies from person to person. There's like...an unseen web of magical energy across the world and at some points they intersect. A person who was born near one of these intersections may have high natural magical capability, but still requires training. A catalyst isn't necessary, but without extreme training, unleashing magic like that will often result in a backlash effect, which can vary in severity, especially when dealing with fire or earth. Catalysts exist and are a preference to the caster. It could be a special sword, gauntlets, or even a tome. Magic is mostly going to deal with elementalism and 'arcane.' Arcane focuses more on life magics and barriers. There is NO resurrection spell and even the simplest of mending life spells are extremely hard to use, since they require the caster’s own life energy to cast.

That is all I have come up with so far. Feedback is welcome.

ConnorTavarin
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Darn, no robots. That's kinda my thing.

Lloyd999
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ConnorTavarin on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:25 am

A bit of an update here. This time about the culture. Both types of elves are as you'd expect; polite, courteous, and some are a bit on the pompous side. The elves from the cities take pride in everything they do, and to some, saying they have made a mistake, regardless of how small, is a great insult. However, that was an extreme example. Most elves tend to better themselves, so taking criticism is something they've learned to deal with. Most in their society take on an artistic career at some point in their lives, such as fine art, tailoring, architecture, scuplting, etc. One of the most important days of the year to the elves, city elves in particular, is what is known as the Day of the First Spark. This was the historical moment when elven kind first tapped into the phenomenon known as magic, which was a major turning point in their cultural development. They spend this day to give thanks to those who discovered magic, whose names are lost to history. As such, they are called The Ideal, as they are who every elf tries to become one day. They set up events, activities, and use their magic to create spectacular shows of wonder to captivate and remind their people what magic has done for their culture. Wood Elves celebrate this day as well, but not to the same extent. They're more subdued and subtle. They gather flowers and artifacts to pray to and give thanks. This lasts only one night as apposed to about a week.

The Naturan celebrate grand hunts several times a year. Their best hunters go out and kill the largest prey they can find and compare it to other hunters. The winner gets a bounty of food and the honor of being celebrated for the next few days as a hero. They also participate in annual tournaments to see who's the strongest. They take pride in their strength and honor. Arguably the most interesting aspect of their culture is their tradition known as the Dance of Scattered Blossoms. This is a Spring event where Naturan throw petals into the air and dance as the wind blows the petals away. It is common for marriages to be planned for these days, as the flying flower petals symbolize a couple's new journey together. This symbolism is thought to bring good luck to the newly weds.

That's all for this update. ^_^

ConnorTavarin
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheIconoclast on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:11 pm

I really liked what I've just read, and I'd be glad to be part of it...

I just have one tiny problem of activity, from Sunday to Thursday most of the time I could not access the internet, maybe one or two times a day and mostly for short periods.
If that's not a problem, I would really like joining in.
Sincerly, Nik

TheIconoclast
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Iye Khara on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Sounds like something I could be down with. Maybe as one of the peacekeepers on the ship? Who knows.
in love, nothing is eternal but drinking your wine
there is no reason for bringing my life to you, other
than losing it.
I said, I just want to know you and then disappear.
you said, knowing me does not mean dying.

Iye Khara
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mousie on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:33 am

Sounds pretty interesting, definitely the beginnings of a good RP. I myself, would probably take on a naturan male and possibly a human female if this RP became a reality in the future.
Some call it madness but i just call it esctasy

The Project Of Warren High [Open]
An elite boarding school for monsters takes on a human project.

Mousie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Joshman on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:37 am

Very interested in the setting and plot, submitting character soon.

Joshman
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:01 pm

I saw you have the thread up. :-)
I'll have mine up at some point this week.

Makenna Young
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ConnorTavarin on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:24 am

The roleplay is up for those who were interested! :)

roleplay/star-crossed-generation

ConnorTavarin
Member for 8 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!