Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Stories Inspired By Songs

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

Stories Inspired By Songs

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Welcome to the (definitely not first iteration) of
"Stories Inspired BySongs."

In an effort to get this site rolling again (as well as find a new mode of entertainment for myself) I decided to recall to life a little known initiative that belonged to one of my fellow staffers. And sort of join this with another community project that has since fallen on hard times known as the Songfic contest for those of you old enough to remember. You can tell from the title how this thread will work.

Basically every two weeks, a song will be posted and writers will have the opportunity to write about it, or use the song as inspiration for their story. Music comes from muse for a reason. Or maybe it doesn't. I don't know. On some weeks I may let someone else pick the song, or (as the lovable DJ that I am) take requests from users who wish to remain anonymous and lurk and judge with their snooty laughs from afar.

Personally, I think we could work out a system where I'm not the only one contributing music, because everyone has wide ranging musical tastes. You never know what you could be inspired by.

Let's lay down some ground rules first so that everybody is on the same page.

1. All stories must be under 1000 words. There is no lower limit, but don't abuse this. I'm looking at you, troll.

2. The Music is just there to get creative juices flowing. You donā€™t have to name your story after the song or anything. For this reason we should try to pick lyric videos or static images so nothing is suggested through the magic of MTV. Itā€™s about trying to capture the feeling of the music, whatever that means to you.

3. Itā€™s totally ok to write an authorā€™s note to explain why you wrote what you wrote. It would be great for people to explain their ā€œprocessā€.

4. Weā€™re going to be critiquing each otherā€™s work. If you canā€™t handle constructive criticism then itā€™s probably not the group for you. However, if fear is the only thing holding you back I suggest you give it a go. Submitting something you made to others gets easier, but you have to take the first step.

5. That being said criticism should be constructive, weā€™re here to encourage each other, not torpedo confidence.

6. If you submit, it would be nice for you to offer feedback to someone else who is taking part.

7. Lastly this will be a casual thing, it's just a group of people hanging out and shooting the shat. If we learn something from each other then thatā€™s awesome.

The next two weeks' song is...

If that video doesn't work, here is the link to the lyric video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJ3-BVMjOs

Have fun guys.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!