Subconscious Trigger

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Re: Subconscious Trigger

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Tue May 10, 2016 9:54 pm

"Certainly," Sylas answered. He got from where he was sitting down and moved over to sit beside the computer. He reached up to touch a button behind his ear and the skin slid aside and he pulled out a cord and quickly and connected to the old computer. He shuddered and his eyes became half lidded. Instantly, a little 'new device detected' appeared on the monitor. He pulled up the programs on the screen.

"I cannot do much more manually. I am going into computer mode now." he explained, his voice taking on a more electronic tone.
“What are you?" she asked.
"A monster," said Kell hoarsely. "You'd better let me go."
The girl gave a small, mocking laugh. "Monsters don't faint in the presence of ladies."
"Ladies don't dress like men and pick pockets," retorted Kell. Her smile only sharpened.
"What are you really?"
"Tied to your bed," said Kell matter-of-factly.
"And?" His brow furrowed.
"And in trouble.”
― Victoria Schwab, A Darker Shade of Magic

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Tue May 10, 2016 10:08 pm

Georgie watched him with anticipation as he moved over to the laptop and put and pulled a thin cord from behind his ear. She nodded her head as he said that this was as much as he could do manually. "Don't worry, I think I can figure my way through this." She plopped down in her seat, the office chair squeaked for a moment, and she began to click through the different files available. It was unlike any programming she had ever seen. There were missing files from the self-destruct mode, files that were encrypted and password protected, and files full of seemingly endless techno-babble. Even still she found the files she could access and was startled by what she found.

Georgie was quiet and hummed to herself as she clicked a flash drive into one of the empty ports with a program she had written herself. It was a complex hacking unit that she hoped would help her get past some of his firewalls and even crack the encryption on the locked files. It was delicate work that kept frustrating her as she cleared one firewall only to bump into another worse one. Amp moved about restlessly in the shop as he sensed her mood while she worked. There was so much to process.

She continued to click away at the keys and kept scanning her screen. She sipped absently at a very cold and stale cup of coffee from who knows how long ago. It had been a few hours before she let out a triumphant sound. "Ah ha!" she finished clicking away and punched the enter button before sitting back very satisfied as the pure and unbroken code streamed across her computer screen.

It was the most beautiful thing she had laid her eyes on. She keyed in a few commands and was pleasantly surprised to see some of the coding go in reverse order to retrieve parts of the deleted information. The code ran its course and then there was a small click before she pulled his cord out and allowed it to retract into his body before it was covered by the false skin once more. She cleared the unshed tears from her eyes as she waited for him to come out of his computer mode.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Tue May 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Sylas sat patiently as the human searched through his files. His eyes remained half lidded and he did not blink the entire time he was connected to the monitor. Coding flit across his gaze and he only made gave tiny tremors as the woman's coding hacked through his fire walls. He knew full well what she was doing but thankfully, none of this stuff hurt. He wondered what specifically she was after to have to hack through so many of his protective walls.

When she disconnected him, he did not move until the cord was completely covered and protected back in its port. He blinked three times before he seemed to come back to himself. He turned towards her then and offered a smile. "Did you find what you were looking for?" he asked her. "You went through quite a few files," he answered and leaned forward on the table. He wondered what else she would need of him now that she had seen his files and coding. A small sliver of fear got to him then. If she had everything she needed... would she throw him away? He wouldn't be of any user to her anymore. A small frown touched his lips then. He didn't want to be thrown out like trash.

"Do you have everything you need?" he asked, re-stating his earlier statement with a touch more loaded emotion.

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Tue May 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Georgie leaned back in her chair with her arms folded against her chest as she watched him to gauge if there was any change. "I certainly found more than I expected too." She quirked her head to the side as he repeated his question but his tone had changed. She realized there was a measure of fear to it and she wondered what made him afraid. "I'm truly grateful for the honor you have given me to look so intimately into your coding. I don't know who created you, but you are beautiful Sylas. I would say I feel bad that you were abandoned on the battlefield, but it would be a lie because if they hadn't than I would never have found you."

"No, I don't think I do." She tapped her lip before she rolled the chair forward and she tilted her neck to look up at him. "I saw something curious in your coding. I've never seen anything like it. It was a unique sequence completely different from what your creator wrote into you. The code kept shifting and changing." She bit her lip absently as she thought out her hypothesis. "I think that coding is unique to you," she held a breath for a moment. "Sylas, the potential you have is immeasurable." Sylas was unique. "You have a level of awareness that is beyond any program or string of code. I believe you are very real Sylas, and that is something I only dared to dream about seeing."

She was quiet for a long time before she looked back into his violet eyes. "What can you recall now? I was able to unlock some of your files and recover some of the deleted data, but I'm not sure what the extent of it is." She wasn't sure what he now knew.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Sylas sat up straighter as he listed to George and her analyses. She had seen more than she had wanted to see? Unique? She called him beautiful and unique. He raised a hand and touched the center of his chest as he mauled over her words. It brought a smile to his lips. She talked to him as if he was a living person, not a thing. She said he was real. The sentiment was a very nice one and he liked it. He got the suspicion that in his 'other life' he had not been given these compliments. Why else would her sentiments mean so much to him as validation that he wasn't broken trash? He would cherish her words. He hoped she wasn't lying. He would be very sad if it turned out she was just saying these things to get more information.

He closed hi yes and searched through hi memory files once more to see if he had recovered something. Bits of images fluttered across his consciousness. "Yes... I see pictures from my memories. They are not complete but... it is something. I remember training.... recent check ups with my creator. I remember a poker game... I can't remember the faces. Based on what I am seeing, my oldest memories were destroyed first and any personal identifiers before the events. I remember my moments before you found me. One of my comrades was about to get shot. I had calculated the trajectory and knew I could save him. The blast was too powerful. I couldn't just stand in front of him else we'd both die. I shoved him out of the way and took the full force of the bullet. It was strong enough to take a whole chunk out of my side as you saw.

I remember the pain of impact an the immediate calculations of the damage... the error messages that came up. I managed to stay on my feet a bit longer and return fire but then my arms started to glitch and I dropped my weapon. I fell as the damage increased thanks to my bleeding. I remember..... I remember..." he stalled then, his brows coming closer together as if pained by the memory. "It hurt... It hurt so much... They all retreated... all the shooting... the cries... I reached out... They left me..." he answered. He opened his eyes and tears were visibly brimming in his eyes. He blinked rapidly to get rid of the liquid before they slipped past down his face.

"I don't like the memory but it is important. It makes me... very sad. It hurts," he answered. He shook his head and put a smile on his face and looked back up at Georgie. "As for the code, I know. What you saw is my learning program. Some of us are advanced enough to learn much by interaction. Our creator made us advanced to think about options rationally and take into consideration the circumstances. This has allowed us to think outside of the box. There aren't many like me but there are some. They've... we've... been seen as defective and taken out of our duties to 'live'. I recall seeing where those like me live but I can't remember the details anymore. I just know there is a place for androids like me. I may have just been deactivated when I went back home. I know too much." he answered. "But... thank you. It makes me very happy when you talk to me like I am more than code.

"I know I had other missions and duties but I do not wish to go back at this time. May I remain here? I'll make myself useful. I won't be trash."

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Georgie was quiet as she watched his eyes and searched through the recovered memory she had been able to give him. She listened to his words and was startled to hear the emotion fill his voice as he spoke about the memory he had of the battle and being abandoned after he saved the life of one of his comrades. She had such a hard time remembering that this man was only machine with a very sophisticated and advanced form of coding. She couldn't believe that these were all programmed responses. There was more to Sylas.

She couldn't help herself and she shifted so she was next to him and she gave him a hug--a very human thing to do. "I'm so sorry Sylas, I'm so sorry they left you behind." She tried to imagine how that would feel to watch those you cared for and fought side by side with left you stranded on the battlefield. It was a horrible thought and one she tried to push from her mind. There was a reason she was the mechanic and not the soldier.

"Live?" she mulled the word over. "As far as I know we have no knowledge of what your people do with the defective ones." She frowned. "I'll be honest with you Sylas, someone like you is extremely valuable to my government. There are many powers that be that have been anxiously waiting to get their hands on an AI such as yourself."

His request through her for another loop. "Even if I wasn't able to fix you, I would never think you were trash." She told him pointedly. "Of course you can stay here." She scratched behind Amp's ears as he kept bumping his head into her leg. "And I apologize if Amp ends up spooking you or making you uncomfortable. He's a bit of a street rat, but he's a damn good sniffer." She grinned at the dog who grinned right back. Amp's "sniffer" abilities were impressive in their own right. He had a nose for anything unusual and she was convinced he was more reliable than a metal detector.

"Speaking of blood." She tapped her lip as there was still a very faint thrumming in the background. "You lost a lot of lubrication," she paused, "your blood." She eyed him over. "I don't know what the substance is because I've never seen it before, but perhaps I can track some down so we can get all of your gears back into working order. I don't think I'm supposed to hear your gears." She had a cheeky grin as she finally looked into his face.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Wed May 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Sylas looked over a her and gave her a soft smile. Her hug... he didn't remember being hugged. Why would he be hugged? He was just a machine, right? He hesitated a moment before he hugged the woman back and logged it in his interactions. He was feeling... at home. It was a very nice feeling. He didn't want to ever be thrown out or left behind again. He didn't want her to leave him like the others had. He wanted to be useful. The idea of being brought to the government was a bit... scary and he knew there was something in his code that refuted the idea since he belonged to Garin, but his original country did not care what happened to him anymore.

"Thank you again, Georgie. And yes... I shouldn't be making so much noise. My internal workings are generally silent. I fear it will degenerate the function of my arms and legs. They are sill not functioning at 100% capacity," he answered her. His fingers witching occasionally as it was. It was only going to get worse without the blood. "It is synthetic oil, #620 Synchro," he answered. His eyes went half-lidded again as he did a quick search on the internet. "Only my home country makes the blood. It runs $173 a gallon sine we normally do not need more than that and it lasts. I can find the molecular compound and give you the ingredients. I unfortunately cannot find the amount of each ingredient. That is a secret by the manufacturers. We need to find some quickly though." He took her hand and pressed it against his chest were it was already a bit warm. "To long like this and I will overheat."

He sat up again and sighed. "And in return for everything you have done for me... I would be willing to report with you to your government. You said they were interested in an AI like me."

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Wed May 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Georgie frowned as he explained only Garin made the synthetic oil, although she wasn't surprised by that. Her eyes widened at the price. The synthetic oil must be extremely valuable and a bit difficult to come by. "That's going to be tricky, but I've got a guy who might be able to help us out." He took her hand in his and held it against his chest. It was definitely warm, almost feverish. It was a peculiar thing to feel. "That's very generous Sylas, but for now I think it's best I keep you with me." She had a sheepish look on her face. "I'll admit I'm feeling a little selfish. I don't think I'll be able to see you very much once they get their hands on you. We've tried for years to create AI as sophisticated as yourself to help in the war effort and no one has been able to come close."

She looked around her workshop and grabbed a stained, dirty, and over sized jacket. She grabbed a cap and passed them to him. "I don't want anyone to know what you are yet. If we're going to synthesize that oil for you we need to get to my friend without much detection." She made a sour face. "I'm sorry they're so dirty, but I think it's the best I've got that will fit you." She waited until he put the coat on and the cap to cover up his pale hair. "Not too shabby," she grinned before looking down at her foot. She let out a huff before shaking her head. There wasn't time to go get her toe looked at. She was afraid that Sylas would degrade before they could get him the correct compound. Her toe could wait.

"Come on, his facility is on the other side of the base." She clicked her tongue and Amp moved to her side before they walked out into the afternoon sun.

The weather was warm and the sun was shining through the clouds. Georgie climbed into her truck after Amp jumped in and waited for Sylas to climb in. "Let's go." She gestured to him as she turned the key over and the old truck rumbled to life.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri May 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Sylas pulled on the clothes he was given and looked down at himself. They did the job. It wasn't really that lose but it wasn't too uncomfortable. He adjusted the hat on his head to try and hide as much of his hair as he could and brought the cap down further and kept his eyes downcast. His eyes would be a dead giveaway after all. No human had violet eyes. It was why they made him and the others like this. The more human they looked and acted, humans needed to provide something that would differentiate them. He didn't mind it too much. He liked the color.

The soldier AI got into the car as instructed and put on his seat belt. He kept his gaze on the window and watched the landscape fly by him as George drove. He wondered what this friend of hers was going to be like. Was he kind just like George? He hoped so. And he also hoped the man would be able to recreate the oil. Without it... George would have only prolonged the inevitable. He didn't want to be saved only to die a few days later and break down. Breaking down didn't sound like a fun experience. He glanced down at his hand which was twitching lightly.

It took about an hour to get to the facility and Sylas scanned it. It was much larger than George's home and seemed to stretch out. He wondered what really went on at this facility. Why was it so big? He glanced at the woman as she parked the car and got out. He followed suit and brought the hat down again to hide his eyes though he was very curious about this new place. He kept looking up to scan the things they came across. He followed close behind George as they entered the hospital like facility. It wasn't long before a scientists approached them. He looked to be about George's age with mocha colored hair and hazel eyes.

"George!" he called with a smile and a wave. "It is good to see you. I was informed that you were wandering the building looking for me," the man chuckled. "Good to see you. And hello to you," he said, turning his attention to Sylas. He extended his hand and Sylas grasped it and shook his hand. "My name is Timothy Brennar. Who are you?"

"Sylas. My name is Sylas."

"Pleasure to meet you, Sylas." He turned his attention back to George then. "So my dear, what can I do for you today?" he asked and motioned or them to follow him to his office.

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Fri May 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Georgie kept glancing over at Sylas on the drive over. His hands were twitching. She knew that sort of twitching. It was the type of typing someone had when they couldn't get a fix--only it wasn't drugs that Sylas needed. She wondered how long it would take for his body to degrade without the proper lubrication. She would be damned if she let that happen to him after doing so much to make sure that he would be functioning. He was a fascinating puzzle to her and she needed to know more about him.

They pulled up to the large complex. Her friend, Dr. Brennar, was a genius for his age. He was the only one she dared share this secret with but she was still a little hesitant to have Sylas so exposed. At first glance he seemed normal and human, but the soft whir of his parts and the subtle twitches in his body were a dead giveaway if anyone bothered to pay attention. They entered the building and she prayed none of the "squints" would give Sylas a second glance.

They didn't have to wait long as Timothy approached. Georgie grinned as he introduced himself to Sylas. "Hey there Timmy," she looked a bit like a very satisfied cat. "Is there somewhere more private we can talk? I've got a little side venture for you." She followed him, Amp faithfully by her side, until they got to a quiet room.

"This is Sylas," she gestured to Sylas who looked a bit uncomfortable, "and he's an AI from Garin." Georgie's eyes were lit up like a Christmas tree. She patted his shoulder. "I found him on the battlefield broken and abandoned--he's remarkable Timmy." She looked at Sylas with every ounce of pride for her handiwork in saving him. "He lost a lot of lubrication and needs a specific compound called #620 Synchro. We don't have anything close to it, but I thought you might be able to dissect the synthetic blend and create some for him. Without it..." she trailed off. "Look, I don't want anyone to know about him yet. Can you keep this secret?" she had an edge of wariness in her tone as she eyed her friend. She had trusted him with a lot over the years but it had never been something this big. It was quite nearly a capitol offense since Georgie wasn't turning Sylas over right away.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri May 13, 2016 12:56 pm

When the good doctor heard George's announcement, he just stared at her for a moment. "An Android Soldier? That.. that is impossible! The ones on the battle field always self destruct when compromised. We've seen that. Every time we manage to find one... everything is gone or they physically break apart to the point they are unfix-able. How were you able to get him? Are you pulling my leg?" he asked then and looked over a the man beside George.

"I was self destructing. George interrupted the process by shutting me off," he answered then.

The doctor practically squealed and jumped when Sylas spoke. He was rather excited at the idea and Sylas's vocal patterns! They sounded so real! He sounded like a normal person. There was nothing in his speech that screamed synthetic. It was... It was amazing. He moved forward and raised his hands but paused when the android shrunk back and away from him in surprise. Oh, truly magnificent. His movements were so fluid. Timothy couldn't help the smile. "I am not going to hurt you, Sylas. May I investigate you a little?"

"... Yes.." Sylas answered after a glance at George.

Timothy moved forward again and took the cap off of Sylas's head and watched the silky strands of hair revert bak to their original position. The scientist ran his fingers through the hair first before his fingers trailed softly over the skin of his face. "So soft..." he murmured, a thumb caressing just beneath one of the android's eyes. He brought his hand down to Sylas's chin and pressed down to get him to open his mouth. He grabbed a flashlight from his pocket that he always kept with him and turned on the light to really look inside his mouth. He even touched Sylas's teeth.

"Incredible. He looks so human..." he said to himself. He pulled away from Sylas's mouth but kept a hold on his chin so he wouldn't move his head and flashed the light across the machine's eyes and watched as the violet orbs expanded or contracted like a normal eye when exposed to light. "So human.." he whispered again. "I can't believe it." He turned off the flashlight and put it away. He let go of Sylas but didn't stop looking at him. "Your secret is safe with me. I don't want you thrown in jail for this. You will be taking him to the higher ups eventually though, right? You can't keep him to yourself forever. Studying him will help us so much and we could minimize loss for our troops as well. We'd finally be on even footing," Timothy said and finally turned his attention to George. "I will do my best to get the lubrication mix. What are the ingredients?" he asked then as he grabbed a pen and paper.

Sylas immediately listed off the ingredients he had found in his search. When he was done, Timothy looked over at him again and noted the light humming he could hear now that he was aware of what Sylas was and watched the twitching in his hand. At one point his shoulder even shrugged. "It will take a little while to get these things and I'll get to work on it. At most, it will take me a week. Sylas, will your system be able to handle being without the lubrication that long while you are running? Should we shut you off till we get this concoction?"

Shut off? Shut of?! He didn't want that. Sylas's hands immediately touched his chest and he took a step back and away from both of them. "No! No! I don't want to be shut off!" he said adamantly, practically shouting. Fear flashed across his eyes and features. He understood that it would be temporary, but what if it wasn't? What if he ended up off... indefinitely? He didn't want to be shut off and go dark. "Don't turn me off!"

Timothy watched him in surprise. "Holly damn...." he breathed. "The Garin's truly are expert crafters. I could always swear he is actually exhibiting the emotion of fear.."

"I am scared!" he answered back. And took another step back. "Please, don't turn me off! I don't want to be off!"

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 pm

"I know, I would've passed him over if Amp hadn't been so persistent." Georgie ruffled the scrappy dog's ear affectionately. "His self-destruct mode compromised a lot of his data and basic responses, but I was able to recover some of it." Georgie gave a minute nod of her head when Sylas looked to her for guidance as Timothy asked if he could inspect him a bit better. It was a bit more violating than what Georgie had done as Georgie was more interested in the hardware than the sparkly shell encasing it.

"He's very human. Sylas was gracious enough to let me look at his coding. I've never seen anything like it. He has one particular code that is constantly running under everything and it morphs and evolves on its own. I fully believe Sylas is one of their AI that has gained his own conscience." She was pleased to see Timothy so excited. Everyone had been dying to get their hands on one of Garin's AIs and now Georgie had one. She glanced away as a sick feeling dropped into her stomach.

"I know Timmy, I know," she sighed. "I just can't give him over yet. I need to make sure he's fully functional before I hand him over and right now I want to be able to observe him without being interrupted. As soon as I hand him over I won't be likely to see him again." That realization made her incredibly sad and far more sober than she would've expected.

"A week?" there was anguish and despair in her voice. Sylas' twitching was pretty bad as it was. She doubted he'd last four days. Timothy mentioned shutting him off for a week and Georgie knew that was the wrong proposition before Sylas reacted. She turned and watched the panic flush his face and he stepped back full of fear begging that they didn't shut him off.

Georgie ignored Timothy for a moment as she quickly moved to Sylas' side. She gripped his arms and forced him to look down at her. "Hey, Sylas, calm down," she stared into those terrified violet eyes and she felt her heart constrict for him. "I won't shut you down, I promise, not unless you give me permission." She shushed him quietly. "I don't want you to go anymore than you do, it's okay, I won't let him turn you off." She murmured before she turned around and faced Timothy. She folded her arms and took a defensive stance in front of Sylas. She had spent less than 12 hours with the AI and already she was getting dangerously attached.

"He is afraid." She said to Timothy bluntly. "I have every belief that Sylas is more human than machine. He feels Timmy, just like you and I do." She said it very pointedly. "Sylas is unique, he's not just a robot." She then turned to look back at Sylas. "What can we do to minimize the damage if it ends up taking a week to get your synthetic oil?" she asked him gently putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri May 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Timothy raised his hands as if to say 'it was just a suggestion'. Timothy sat on the corner of his desk as he watched the two interact. Sylas really was acting more human but deep down, he was still a machine. He was all mechanical parts. There wasn't a real heart in that bod. It was coding. Even if the android found a way to think and feel on its own, it would never be truly human. It would always be an android without the rights given to humans. The androids had a purpose and once that purpose was gone, the android wasn't needed. This 'Sylas' was an incredibly well crafted android but at the end of the day, they couldn't think of him as human. George was getting close to it as if the android was her baby. That could cause problems later.

Sylas gave a sigh of relief and looked at George. He raised his hands to touch hers. "Thank you..." he answered. "I don't want to be shut off... that thought.. never waking up... I don't want that. It is a logical suggestion. I am sorry I am acting so irrationally in this disregard. I can minimize the energy I use by shutting things off like my internet access. I don't mind going to sleep so for most of the day and nigh I can go to sleep. I am solar powered so if I stay in sunlight, I remain charged so I use less of my reserve. I will degenerate towards the end of the week, but I should be okay," he answered her.

Timothy sighed softly. "Georgie... be careful. You can't get attached to the android. He is not human and you are going to have to give him up to the government researchers. You need to come to terms with that and remember that when you interact with him.. it. Remember that at the end of the day, Sylas is an 'it'."

Sylas glanced at Timothy. It. The scientists was calling him it now. It made him sad. The thought that he would be sent to the government and he'd never see George again was sad to. He didn't want to say good bye. He sighed and pulled away from her hands. And this is why he sometimes hated what he was. Why did people create him this way if they were going to treat him so indifferently? Did they want him and the others to feel rejection and sadness? Scientists created them to die for them. They made androids care for them but the humans didn't care. Most of them anyway.

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 pm

"Even if it came to that, I promise Sylas that I would find a way to turn you back on. I fixed you once, I could do it again." Georgie gave him an encouraging smile. "It's okay to feel that way Sylas. It's a very human emotion." She turned to Timothy as he spoke up with a cautioned voice. The warning was evident in his tone. Georgie knew he was right and that was probably why his words irritated her so much. Sylas was unlike anything she had ever known and she was struggling with the thought of giving him up.

"I understand what you're saying Timothy," her voice had an edge to it and she never called him Timothy. "And you may be right about me having to give him up, but you're wrong about him just being a machine, an it." Georgie didn't understand why she felt so passionate to validate Sylas as something more than an android built with an end purpose in mind. "We always talked about the possibility of artificial intelligence becoming alive." She glanced over her shoulder at Sylas. "Why do you disregard Sylas so quickly?" she let out a frustrated sigh and shook her head. "Never mind," she turned away and headed for the door. "Come on Sylas, we need to go find you a sunny spot." She tapped her leg and Amp quickly moved to her side.

"Let me know when you've synthesized the oil." Her tone was a little frigid as they walked out.

Once they had left the compound and were back in the dinky old truck her temper started to cool. "I'm really sorry he treated you that way." She kept her eyes on the road. "He's the only one who can help us without going to the government yet." She pinched the bridge of her nose feeling frustrated.

Timothy was right and she hated it when he was right. Sylas was not hers. It was her job to fix him and then hand him over; except handing over most likely meant dissection and that had planted a seed of guilt inside of her.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri May 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Sylas looked over at George as he adjusted the hat on his head. He got comfortable in the truck seat and sighed. "It is okay, George," he answered. "I understand his view. I am a machine. I am made from wires and metal. I am synthetic. An imitation of life," he answered her. "Yes, my learning program has allowed me to explore beyond my coding and I do have thoughts and feelings and desires, but I am never going to be human," he explained. "I am not human. It makes me sad that I am not. There is much I can do because I am not human but it hurts no less thinking about what I want but knowing that is not something I can have."

Sylas returned his gaze to the window and tapped it lightly until it strained his hand and it froze a moment before he got it moving again. He dropped his hand into his lap then and closed his eyes. "You've shown me care. That is all I can ask for. You do not need to feel bad for the way your friend treated me. It was rational."

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Fri May 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Georgie was silent as she listened to Sylas and his words were starting to make her temper boil under the surface once more. She didn't understand these irrational and passionate feelings when she knew everything that Sylas and Timothy had said was true. There was no way to refute it, and yet it angered her that others would never see more in Sylas than a machine built for a purpose.

She clenched her jaw and took several breaths in through her nose before she finally released them. "I wish it was different Sylas, I wish there was more I could do for you." She pinched her nose again as he had to unfreeze his hand. "I don't know how to explain it. When I look at you I see more than a machine. There's something different about you Sylas, and I don't think even you realize it yet." She picked her words carefully. "I wish you could have more human experiences, I think you would like them a great deal." She said absently as she turned down the dirt road to her workshop.

She parked the truck and looked out the windshield and was surprised to see the first star appear. She hadn't realized how much time she had lost through the day but had a peaceful feeling about it. She was finally feeling her exhaustion catch up with her and she knew she needed to sleep before she could do anything.

"Sylas, do you suppose there's life out there in the stars? More than just small organisms on some distant planet," she paused as the star twinkled at her. "Do you think there's people living on another distant planet with as many problems as we seem to have down here?" Georgie had always looked to the skies. It had fascinated her and with all of the advancements they had in society she ached to leave this world behind and explore the sky. She always imagined there was something different and something better out there. "Maybe they don't have bloody wars." She mumbled before shaking her head. "Stupid," she muttered and opened her door before slamming it behind her.

The war had taken a great deal from Georgie. She felt a bundle of twisted emotions, and she was tired, and her toe hurt a great deal. She was sick of the day. She was sick of the expectations and sick of losing people she loved.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri May 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Sylas looked up at the sky when she began to talk about life beyond the stars. He tilted his head to the side as he tried to figure out how to res pond to her. Was there life out there? He had never taken the time to really ponder a question like that. What was out there? There were stars and planets and he knew there wasn't life on the other planets near them but what about beyond their galaxy? Was there something else out there? Were there people like him out there? Was there a place where he truly belonged, far away from prejudice and fear and pain? Would he be able to live up there when humans could not?

Before he could answer George, he registered that she had left the vehicle. He hurried after the human and sighed softly to himself. "George... I don't know if there is life out there or not. I wish I had the answers for you but I do not. There is a chance that there may be something out there but in reference to culture and war, that is beyond me. I don't know what another world with other types of people would be like. I think I would like to go out there though... see what it is like and if we can find something," he mused. He sat down in one of the chairs and rested his head back and closed his eyes. "Shall I go into hibernation mode?" he asked her then and caressed the dog when it came over to him and rested his head in his lap.

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Fri May 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Sylas had caught up to her quickly and spoke quietly. "It doesn't matter anyway, this is all I'll ever know. I guess it's pretty useless to try and imagine other worlds when we have enough of our own problems down here." She was surprisingly bitter and sighed when he asked if he should go into hibernation mode. She nodded slowly. "Yes, I'll help you find a sunny spot tomorrow, I'm just upstairs if you need me." She gestured to the small staircase that led to a second floor.

She clicked her tongue and Amp got a sad look as he moved away from Sylas' side and followed her up the stairs to the small studio space she lived in above her workshop. She rubbed her eyes as the extent of her exhaustion had settled deep into her bones. She ate a granola bar--not enough strength to cook anything--and crashed into her bed without changing. She hardly cared if she got her covers dirty.

She reached over to her nightstand and pulled a very worn and weathered picture to herself. It was a picture of a tall and handsome man with his arms looped around her neck. She closed her eyes and clutched the picture to her chest before she gently placed it back in its spot and rolled over. The lamp clicked off and Amp climbed up into bed and curled at her feet. It didn't take very long for her to drift to sleep and she slept very deeply.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Thu May 19, 2016 10:53 am

The AI and his friend seemed to go about their days in a rather routine manner. Since Sylas had the danger of overheating, he spent most of his time in hibernation mode to try and minimize the damage his body would undergo thanks to the loss of lubrication. George did talk to him and looked through his coding but most of the investigation was going to have to wait until the immediate danger had been alleviated. Each day, the AI grew slower in his movements and his limbs would jerk or freeze up more and more, the gears grinding against each other and pinching 'nerves'.It was 5 days later before her friend called her to announce he had recreated the oil that Sylas needed so it was time to go and collect it.

George had called for Sylas to wake up from his hibernation to get in the car. Since Sylas was running quite low at this point without the oil, his movement were far more robotic. All of his fluidity has vanished since his joints were now rubbing together and occasionally pinched on wires. The oil that had remained in his system was beginning to heat up since there wasn't enough of it to really fuel the body. The burnt up oil stuck in places it shouldn't be and collecting in small crevices, compromising his ligaments. The effort was making his system burn up so it didn't take long before Sylas was burning up again as if he had a fever. He acted like he was sick to. He was very lethargic and dazed. Even simple commands took longer than they should and his processing was dimmed. All of his resources had gone to keeping his body functioning.

Sylas managed to get to his feet and shuffled towards the car. He event extended his glitchy arms to try and reach for something to help him walk. His legs and arms were suffering the most it seemed. They didn't always do what he wanted and moved on their own. He couldn't pick up anything since his fingers were too rigid to hold anything. When he reached the car door, he fought with the handle a few minutes before he finally managed to sit down in the passenger seat. He didn't even try maneuvering the seat belt. His elbow wouldn't bend enough for that so he just sat in the seat staring down at the dashboard with glazed eyes. He couldn't wait till his system had the oil that he needed. George was going to really have to clean out his system to get rid of the clumped mess in his 'veins' before he could get the oil in.

He tilted his head to the side and moved his torso a bit to look at George as she began to drive towards the lab. "When... we get... there... need.... need to clean my... system. Take a...a.....a..." his memory stalled. What was it called again? Oh! "degreaser. Can. tiny tube in can... put it... put it..." Damn speaking was taking too long. He then struggled with his hand to try and unbutton his shirt. He gave an exasperated sigh in his frustration before he finally managed to yank the shirt open and pressed a button on his sternum twice. slowly, his chest seemed to open up to reveal a small compartment where the can would be able to fit as well as some other things. "clean... clean wen you... put the can... in there. Then... then... I take... the new oil," he answered. Geeze. Everything was foggy and slow. He did not like it.

FaddedFox
Member for 6 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sirius Baren on Thu May 19, 2016 5:47 pm

As each day passed, Georgie got more and more anxious for Sylas. She could see his functions starting to degrade and he was becoming more and more robotic with his movements. She would be damned if she put all this effort into saving him only to have time ruin him before they could get the synthetic oil into his system. She spent a lot of her time going through his code and trying to recover any of his other memories. It was tedious work with very little results. It seemed that there wouldn't be much more she could recover for him. His self-destruct mode was more thorough than she had originally thought.

When Timothy finally called Georgie was ready to jump for joy. She was completely ecstatic and rushed to get Sylas out of his hibernation mode. It had been a long and grueling five days but now they could get him the help he needed. It was evident very quickly that she had to get Sylas there asap.

Sylas was far more glitchy than he had been before. She watched with a small frown as he struggled to make his limbs cooperate and do what he needed them to do. He was stiff and there was times his limbs would freeze or lurch forward. She saw him struggle with the car door and was about to go help him when he finally got it open and was able to climb into the cab in the truck. She hadn’t realized he had gotten this bad. Since he had been in hibernation mode all of the ticks and glitches had been at a minimum. It was evident now that his body was at high risk of overheating and breaking down.

“I know Sylas, I’ll clean you up.” She promised him as he struggled through trying to communicate to her. His words were broken and choppy and had very little emotion. He sounded like the robot he was and Georgie did not like it one bit. She drove as fast as she dared and hoped there wouldn’t be any irreversible damage.

Georgie also didn’t want to have Sylas try and walk through the facility to get to Timothy’s lab. It would bring too much attention to him and right now they needed to avoid unwanted attention. When she had spoken to Timothy about this he had seemed reluctant but agreed to meet her in one of the loading docks with all of the supplies that they would need.

Twilight had fallen and she flicked the headlights on in the truck. She breathed a sigh of relief when she finally pulled into the loading dock and saw Timothy waiting there. “We’re here Sylas, do you need help getting out?” she asked as she turned the truck off. She climbed from her seat and opened the passenger door.

“I need some degreaser, and there are some parts that he needs cleaned. It’s pretty bad.” She told Timothy as Sylas finally climbed out of the cab.

Sirius Baren
Member for 11 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!