Superhero Movies

a topic in Film & Television, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Let's talk about the latest movies and television.

Superhero Movies

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:26 pm

What is your opinion on superhero movies? Too many? Not enough?

Which is your favourite? Which ones don't you like? How do you feel about the TV serials?

Personally, I could handle a few fewer origin movies: I don't really care where heroes come from, and Wolverine's multiple origins killed my excitement for learning where someone comes from. They can't keep the MU canon straight in their heads.

Deadpool was the first origin movie I thoroughly enjoyed, and Jessica Jones was, by far, my favourite Netflix series.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Superhero Movies

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChinaSorrows on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:49 pm

I love the humour of superhero movies, especially when there's some British humour thrown in there.

Especially love the darker ones like Deadpool. Really interesting

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ChinaSorrows
Member for 9 years
Author Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm

I think that there never can be enough superhero movies, some are good and some really stink.. but that's okay. For me these movies are a good break from reality, and I like seeing the good guy win in the end. It might not be pretty on the road to winning, but they always win; and considering how crazy and scary the world is right now.. I can really appreciate that.

Favorites?
Right now it's really a toss up between Doctor Strange and Wonder Woman. I liked that both main characters had their assumptions challenged and had to learn something about themselves.

Ones I didn't like?
I really did not Batman vs Superman. There was something so flawed about it character wise, and as someone who grew up with Batman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Superman the Animated Series, and Justice League? It was not what I remember loving about those DC characters.

TV Series?
I have limited time and right now I haven't seen any worth watching... granted I've been on a Rick & Morty binge.. but I like how they're skewering so many things.

Absenthia
Member for 10 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby glee on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm probably a rare among the bunch, but I don't think I've ever watched a superhero movie before O:! I'm just not really a movie person, and I never had any siblings who were into superheroes, so... it just never really came up as something I would end up watching. If there was one superhero movie above all others that you would deem as a "must watch", what would it be?

glee
Member for 2 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RubyTuesday on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:51 am

I've always been more attracted to films/tv/books by characters as opposed to plot, so whilst I enjoy some superhero films, its usually because I like the characters as opposed to the actual superhero element. I do think I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all of them, but at the same time, for the two big superhero universes, DC and Marvel, they have created universes and an overarching story, so of course they are going to continue on the story- it would be more frustrating if they left fans hanging for ages simply because there are already a lot of recent superhero flicks. But me? Nah. I keep up with the stuff, and I do enjoy a few, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan or anything.

That said, you can bet your ASS that I was there for Wonder Woman, because about time, geez. And as for Black Panther... it ain't even out and I am already lining up (solid representation and badass women being badass? Sold)

In the end though, we all know what the real best superhero movie is... The Incredibles. Duh.

RubyTuesday
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rodney.ashline on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:11 am

I realy like superhero films, because they have action, humour and fantactic. Most of them I like graphic. Some personality looks like real. In duel Marvel vs. DC - I like Marvel, because I see that Marvel working hard and show to us 3 or 4 films in 2018. I think, it will be good result.
In my opinion, best superhero movie is "Avengeкs". This movie has different characters and don't have the same story. Also Marvel gave to us preview about everyone person in this movie.

rodney.ashline
Member for 1 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Promethean

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tusho Ka on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:06 am

I am a huge fan of the superhero genre. I used to read the comics a lot as a child (still do) and for me the world inside it was so big and so diverse, I could imagine myself being a part of it.

I've been lining up for all of the MCU movies so far and I can't imagine I would stop soon. Favorites are Guardians and Winter Soldier. What I like most of the MCU is that they do not restrict themselves to 1 type of movie (or series). They have a space saga the one time, and a spy thriller the next. Although it's classed as superhero first, I don't think it's their only defining trait.

The DC movies have not been great so far with the exception of Wonder Woman (and I look forward to Aquaman). I have never liked batman or superman much because of the characters themselves. They have to few flaws and I put it close to god-moding in an RP.

The DC series are excellent. More humor and great story lines. Even though I am not familiar with all the villains the moment they come on screen, it's easy to follow. The casting is done well, and it seems they have so much fun making these. I thought not mixing the series with the movies was a missed opportunity.

The Marvel shows are going insane. I am still a faithful follower of Agents of Shield, and still enjoy it very much. From the Netflix series I really disliked Jessica Jones. There seemed to be no chemistry between the actors and the only redeemable factor was David Tennant. I really enjoyed the Hulu-series Runaways. It was totally out of any of the other story lines and was fully unknown to me.
I am looking forward to the New Mutants. Set up as a horror series, again not just limiting themselves to superheroes. For the rest, there are too many series to mention.

I hope that X-men will come into MCU soon. They've butchered the characters and story lines time and time again. Although it's my favorite comic, it's my least favorite movie series. Hugh Jackman is a nice guy, but he doesn't resemble the comic book version at all.

Last but not least, just saw Spiderman: into the Spiderverse. I can recommend it. The animation is beautiful, haven't seen anything like it yet.

Tusho Ka
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Promethean Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby writingnai on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:50 pm

I quite enjoy the Marvel cinematic universe, but I think it's not going to be the same after Endgame comes out. DC movies aren't really my thing, but I enjoy the CW shows. So it definitely depends on what you're into.
"The biggest gift for any writer in the world, is to be read, and for the words they have written to help and move people."​

writingnai
Member for 0 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!