Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Taekwondo

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Taekwondo

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Almost makes me wish I stuck with TKD.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote:If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:41 am

I take note of the almost. :D

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jax on Thu May 18, 2006 6:28 pm

I have learned alot more then people think

Jax
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Taekwondo

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:37 am

TKD is pretty f'ing great, if I do say so myself. I feel like I took it for ages, but I'm pretty intermediate when it comes down to rankings, and even in that subset I am on the lower end of the in-shape spectrum.

But you're right, Jax, TKD teaches much more than just cool forms & awesome power. It really does teach discipline, like any other martial art from what I've seen.
As you recall, you know I love to show off,
But you never thought that I would take it this far.
What do you know?

Fancy a Butcher's?

aeleon
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MetusOccultus on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:35 am

I took it as a child and now still benefit from it. My muscle structure is more dense, my body is flexible, and my mind is sharp. Mind over matter has been something in my life since a small boy. I mean it is overall a great way to discipline your child.(or yourself)

When I had to quit I was a belt away from black and, well, that part is history.
-Wolf
Rin, kyo, toh, sha, kai, jin, retsu, zai, zen.

MetusOccultus
GWC Veteran
Member for 11 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:19 pm

Now I'm curious, though: Why did you stop just shy of a black belt?

aeleon
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:29 pm

People stop for various reasons, some people stop when they're third dahns with no real explanation, some people don't have enough time between school and work, etc. etc.
I haven't been able to go to classes for a while now, due to school and *mostly* work, but still love the sport and practice strikes and stuff when I can :) TKD is awesome...I'll leave it at that.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:23 am

I almost wish I had the motivation to keep going by myself, you know? Not like, progress, but at least freshen up what I know. But I'm beginning to forget things! :(

aeleon
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MetusOccultus on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:10 am

We need to form our own dojo guys. It'll be awesome. We could design our own mons and stuff. Then we could beat the crap out of each other RPGateway style

MetusOccultus
GWC Veteran
Member for 11 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15 am

I agree, Metus. We should form our own mobile squad of roleplaying TKD ninjas and take over the world. Or at least a very large city, that would be cool, too.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Holy shit, do you guys want to do a dojo RP? With sparring and forms and all sorts of other dojo events (drama?) that we can incorporate? Perhaps 'rival schools' style with competing dojos in different martial arts?

aeleon
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raul on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 pm

I took Taekwondo for twelve years, stopping at the age of seventeen when I hit college with my second degree black belt. Now when I look back at it, I find it's just somewhere in the middle.

The forms are solid, the kicks are more than solid, the grapples are so weak you couldn't out muscle your grandmother.

As far as teaching discipline goes, taekwondo does surprisingly well, though really, any and all martial arts teach some amount of discipline.

The only thing that really goes for taekwondo are the kicks, they're the only thing of any use in a self defense situation, and in a spar I can't say that kicking someone in the gut helped me any when he tucked inside and started throwing me around.

(Wasn't another taekwondo student, by the way, I believe he has taken ten years of krav maga.)

Raul
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Taekwondo, in its current form, is no longer a martial art: it's a sport. As such - the training regiment usually associated with it is great, and the kicking technique you can learn from it will vastly benefit you in the future. However, the value as a martial art is minimal, and the skills you learn in Taekwondo will not directly translate into fighting prowess.

If you want to touch up on kicking skills that translate into fighting prowess, I recommend Kyokushin karate.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sketchy on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:53 pm

i took TKD all the way thru black belt (1st) but then it got too expensive...ugh
now, for the past 6 months, i've been taking Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and a Mixed martial arts class. Dang, starting from white belt again is a pain!

I like the idea of a dojo rp
それは避けられない勝利者です。

sketchy
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sashay on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:03 pm

I've been doing Tae Kwan Do for almost three years now, off and on. I'm stuck in the middle, so to speak, becuase of switching schools as much as I have (going from high school to two different colleges). Now I'm in a town that doesn't have any actual Tae Kwan Do schools outside of a club at college. I've enjoyed it the entire time I've taken it, and it's helped me a lot. Now, though, because of it only being a club thing, I've also been taking classes at another school since November (off and on as school schedule permits). I've been learning weapons and grappling and most everything except the kicks we did in Taw Kwan Do, and I'm constantly having to relearn things, but still. I've enjoyed TKD and I always will. I just wish I could continue. (Depending on the belt system, I'm a Purple/High Green/Glorified Yellow Belt. >.> It's a LONG story, but yeah. So, right in the middle.)

Sashay
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alphadean on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 am

As a lover, practioner (for more than 30 years) of Martial Arts, and also a holder of 1st dgree black belt in TKD, I can honestly say most of your comments are spot on. Its interesting also, I started Martial Arts a few years before I got into gaming and the two meshed so easily. Martial Arts taught me discipline and gaming helped with self expression. But allow me to get back TKD. TKD under the ITF banner is extremely progressive and evolutionary in its nature. Since I started training in the system I've seen change and grow. Most people look upon it as a sport and not an art form in the traditional sense of Martial Arts. Trust me that is a huge misconception. I've spent my life studying various arts and if you fnd the right instructor you'll be pleastly surprised at what TKD has to offer.
If the instructor you have is worth anything he/she will teach the sport aspect secondary and teach the body conditioning and self defense as primary. TKD is incomplete until you add the grappling techniques of Hopkido. When coupled together, you have devastating strikes and great grappling all rolled into one. This make for a formidible combination.

Alphadean
Member for 10 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.