Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Tai'emroth: Back Again

a topic in Orsa of Terminus, a part of the RPG forum.

The lull in the war has ended, and the Orsa of Terminus is on the rise once more. Will the battle hardened Patronus remain strong, or fall under the growing might of this renewed threat? A mature roleplay. This forum is one large roleplay within a set world and designated story lines.

Tai'emroth: Back Again

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:35 pm

(Post co-wrriten by Script and Imehal)

It was late in the morning by the time the weary group of travelers reached their destination. It wasn't immediately obvious that they had, in fact, the only indication was the halting of their guide. Ciela had come to a stop near the top of a large mountain that they had been climbing. Until now they had done their best to wind around mountains, finding passes and trails that reduced the amount of mountaineering they had to do - apparently, however, this one was unavoidable.

A low cloud-cover made the morning air thick with fog, and there was a chill in the air that seeped through clothing. The small plateau where they had halted was sparsely dotted with shrubs and rock formations.

"Now we wait." Ciela informed them, "It should only be a few minutes before somebody comes up to get us, we'll have been spotted by scouts by now."

"Am I missing something?" Elante asked, "Because I'm not seeing a city."

Raedan gave the younger mage a glance, "We wouldn't have lasted this long if our city was in plain sight, you know, even this far up a mountain."

Smiling, Sylvire nodded, "I remember hearing of Tai'emroth, though I never visited. They say that nothing can quite prepare you for your first moments there."

Ciela shrugged, "I don't know about that, but it's certainly practical. We've only been breached once since the city was founded, and we repelled that force. Any aesthetic or architectural magnificence is, whilst nice, strictly a 'bonus'."

"It certainly sounds impressive - I for one will be happy if it has a water supply and a bathtub, regardless." Aliana smiled, "We've been on the road for weeks. It will be nice to see the inside of a bathroom again."

Natalie nodded absently in agreement, surveying their unusual stopping point with more than a little interest. "I doubt much would surprise me these days, but it will be nice to see civilisation again. There is a certain lack of knowledge to be found on the plains except for learning new ways to keep yourself alive. Not exactly a bad skill to develop, but still."

Discussion continued for a few moments before a figure appeared from behind a rock, clad in robes similar to those that Talos had worn. "Identification?" he asked.

"Ciela Featherfoot and party," Ciela responded, "These people are allies, but also outsiders, and so will need to be subject to the necessary precautions."

The man nodded, "And the nature of the void is?"

"Empty and heartless, a mockery of the light." Ciela intoned in reply - obviously some form of password. With a smile, the man turned and waved a hand, a slash of light appearing in the air and widening into a gateway large enough to walk through.

"Welcome home, Ciela, and to the outsiders, welcome to Tai'emroth." he said, gesturing for them to step through. The sight that awaited them on the otherside was jaw-dropping. They had emerged out into a camp area dotted with guards and a few bored-looking clerks. It was evidently a processing area for new arrivals and returning scouts. The camp was set on what appeared to be a ridge overlooking wide-open plains, covered with farmland and criss-crossing pathways, but it was what was beyond and around that which was astonishing. The plains ended at an immense wall that stretched their length, ending in natural rock, within which was a massive city. Easily rivalling Amarathia for size, Tai'emroth was tiered, multiple levels leading up to a plateaued top level dotted with towers and, visible even from here, a palace. Even the city would have been an impressive feat of engineering alone, but its location was astonishing - a glance upwards revealed that this entire area, farmland and city both, were contained inside the mountain. Artificial sunlight from magical orbs hovering around the cavern roof illuminated the area, and in the opposite wall of the cavern to the city was a large metal gate leading into a tunnel that presumably led out of the mountain.

Leaving the Patronus to gape, Ciela immediately stepped forwards, lifting a hand in greeting to the guards as she approached one of the clerks to begin discussing their access to the city. In the meantime, Raedan grinned at them, "Impressive, isn't it? I can only really get a proper picture of it by the reactions of outsiders, since I was born here."

"Light and spirits behold, it's magnificent!" Aliana exclaimed, "Like nothing I've ever seen! The songs there must be about this place, the stories it must hold."

Sylvire nodded, "The stories spoke the truth about this place, A dozen men could hold this place against any normal army for weeks."

"I don't know about that," Ciela said as she turned back to the group, "But it's certainly kept us safe so far, which is more than can be said for any other cities out there. Come on, I've permission to take you into the city. I'll set you up with somewhere to stay so that you can make yourselves presentable to see the council."

Elante practically groaned with relief, "Thank god. I'm not cut out for this travelling business. I feel like I'm wearing half a field."

Laughing, Aliana gave the young mage a sidelong glance, "I imagine you ought to get used to it, my city-born friend, I doubt we will be resting for too long here."

Ciela led the group out of the camp and down a winding dirt-path that led to the plains outside the city. It was a short walk through the fields, following a well defined path, that would take them to the city walls - though it became quickly apparent that there was one key thing missing. A gate. It was obvious by now, though, that Tai'emroth was far from a conventional city - and so no comment was made as they reached the wall.

The ranger signalled upwards to a watchman, and movement above saw a platform being lowered down on a system of pullies that would take them up to the city proper. Sylvire smiled, impressed. "The designers of this city must have had defence in mind," she commented.

Ciela nodded, "That, and we've had a thousand years to make improvements. There used to be a gate, but it was deemed to significant a weakness, and so we filled it in and replaced it with these platforms."

The lift ascended with them to the top of the wall, where after Ciela exchanged a few words with the guardsmen on duty, she led them to the steps down to the streets. Past the walls, the sprawling maze of the city extended a significant distance before reaching the walls of the next tier up. The buildings down here were constructed almost entirely of stone and metal, and few of them were homes - workshops, barracks, stables and other buildings utilised for war lined the streets. It was clear that this part of the city was designed for frequent exposure to damage. Soldiers and craftsmen moved through the streets busily as Ciela took them towards the ramps that led upwards, passing through several gates before they ascended to the first populated tier.

Here the city was filled with the hubbub associated with civilian lives. Merchants hawking their wares, families bustling through the markets together and children playing. There was a level of order to the chaos, however, that was out of place. Guards were posted regularly if in small numbers, and there was an air of wariness to all - as though expecting alarms to sound at any moment. Belltowers were a common sight, all manned with at least two men - a watcher and a bell-chimer. A similar state of affairs greeted them as they rose through the next few levels, though it was clear the higher levels boasted higher quality housing and the richer residents of the city. There were none of the sprawling mansions and estates that many cities boasted, however, with such a high population needing to be housed in a single city, there simply wasn't the space. The residents up here paid for quality and for safety. Finally, on the fifth tier, third from the top of the city, they halted outside a moderately sized building.

"Here you are," Ciela said, "This inn is reserved for temporarily housing new arrivals until they purchase their own property or move on. The staff will show you to your rooms and where all the facilities are. If you have any questions about the city, ask them." The ranger inclined her head, handing Sylvire a roll of paper, "Here's the document you'll need to show them. Drop my name and you'll likely be provided some of the better rooms - you don't want to go near the lower end of their housing ... it's less than spacious."

Sylvire smiled, "Thank you, Ciela. I take it you are on your way to debriefing?"

The ranger nodded, "Indeed. Raedan and I will see you soon. Make sure one of you is here at all times for when the council sends its summons, but otherwise feel free to explore the city. I'll see if I can arrange any sort of allowance for purchasing any food or supplies you want beyond the basics provided here, since you won't have any of our currency." With that, and a gesture to Raedan to follow, Ciela started away towards the next level of the city.

"It's been nice meeting you all," Raedan said before he followed Ciela, "I'll be sure to drop by when I can."

As the two walked away, Sylvire sighed, "We should go inside. We've had a long journey, and we'll need to be ready for the council summons when they come."
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Re: Tai'emroth: Back Again

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 pm

(Post co-written by Imehal and Script)

Tai’emroth was not just a settlement of people, but a whole civilisation and bastion against adversity in all forms, and its defences were enough to occupy Natalie for a time within their temporary lodgings. Understanding in all things was something she sought most ardently, and the days out on the plains had not allowed for much contemplative thought. Now however, there was far too much time to worry about things out of all of their hands.

There had been no contact with any of their allies since that separation and although the sorcerer had begun to tire of Aliana’s fiery impatience, she too was beginning to wonder how much longer was sensible to wait to act. After the summons, whenever they came might be too late, and that was without any idea of how to search such a vast expanse for such a small group. Natalie had already considered employing her Divination, but she could not find the calm or peace in any place available to try. It would require days of rest before she was less wrought with nerves and worries to be calm enough to begin the laborious process of divining all across the lands that stretched all around Tai’emroth.

A map would be crucial to the search, and even physical descriptions of the land. It was not even just their lives that Natalie worried about, but also the fate of the artefacts. All their lives were worth the cost of protecting the items that had brought them together, but if there were lost then sacrifice became moot. Of course, none of these worries could be availed, nor plans implemented until progress had been made with finding allies in this city. They were the Patronus, but so few in number and exhausted beyond belief. Now was the time to rest, and prepare themselves for whatever trials would come next. I wonder, Natalie glanced up at the open doorway, ignoring the ink and paper that she had rested awkwardly on her lap to make notes, if a time will come soon where we do not have to look forward to trials ahead on a daily basis. I wonder if we will all live to see a future worth living in.

It just so happened it was at that moment that Sylvire stepped into view in the doorway, her rough-worn travelling clothes replaced with more comfortable and presentable robes. "Ah, I was hoping I'd find you here," she said, "I've just had word from the council. They're ready to greet us. I can't say for sure whether that means they're ready to discuss anything of importance with us, but it's progress at the very least. Aliana and Elante will remain here, but your company and counsel would be of great use if you wish to join me." The sorceress had come to the conclusion that Aliana's ... passion might be ill suited for a delicate diplomatic first meeting, and Elante's inexperience with such situations left potential for a similar blunder. Of the Patronus, Natalie was perhaps the most level-headed, and best suited for a political exchange.

Natalie smiled at the invitation, opening the clasp on one of her pouches to slip the now defunct writing implements away. "It is about time. I would be glad to accompany you to the council, Lady Nasazura." The sorcerer rose to leave with Sylvire, and brushed the creases in her robes that had developed from sitting for so long. Natalie had frequently avoided staying out of political affairs back home, but that had no bearing on her understanding on the importance of first meetings. She had never suffered fools, but knew better than to encourage them. "Let us hope it means at least more than a quick greeting and rushed judgement. Enough time has been wasted."

Sylvire nodded her head, turning to start down the hallway. There was a member of the city guard waiting for them outside the inn, clad in the ceremonial armour of the palace guard - a duty more resented than held as pride for the city's soldiers. A day spent guarding the palace was a day wasted, in their eyes, as nothing ever threatened the councillors. As the guard led them away from the inn and towards the uppermost level where the palace lay, footsteps from behind announced the arrival of Ciela.

"Good morning to you both," the ranger said, "I was hoping I'd catch you before you reached the palace. I'm guessing nobody's thought to brief you on who each of the councillors are."

"I've learned what I could from the innkeeper and those I've met over the last day or two," Sylvire replied, "But anything you can tell us would surely be most useful."

Ciela nodded, "Alright. I'm no politician, but I've had enough dealings with the council to have an idea of who they are and what angle they work from. The head of the council is a dragonkin named Vanor Arien. He's a typical dragonkin, distant but wise. Younger than you'd expect for a head of council, but the better off for it. It's because of him that the expedition to Amarathia actually went through, he's always an advocate of action over inaction. In his camp, that is to say, the ones who actually have some sort of idea how the world works at this point, are the dark elf Aurora Blackweave - she's old, the eldest on the council, used to be a general for her homeland before the fall. Then there's Roran Smithson, the human councillor, so-called 'champion of the people', made his way onto the council by appealing to the soldiers and common folk. I'm not sure how he'll react to you, since he's not particularly trusting of outsiders in general. Finally, there's Naene Brightwood, the wood elf councillor. She's actually the wood elf Queen, or would be if they still had a nation, her election each term is almost unanimous. I actually know her personally - she should take your side if you explain yourself well and persuade her of your identity." Ciela continued to speak as they made their way through the city streets, some of the citizens pausing in their business to eye the outsiders with a mix of curiosity and wariness. No doubt rumours had already begun to spread about who they were.

"In the middle of the table you have Luar, Daelin, Sheiar and Anuin. Luar's the official dragonkin member of the council, the head being discounted. She's soft-hearted and a little airy, I would have thought your 'returning legends' story will go down well with her. Daelin is a blood elf, militant and perceptive. She's likely to cut holes in your story if they're there to be cut. Sheiar is the centaur, very traditional and spiritual about her decision making. I couldn't say for sure what her reaction will be, she's probably the least predictable since she relies on instinct and guidance from her spirits. Anuin is the celestial councillor, probably the most reserved and least likely to comment at all, but he's got a lot of influence. I honestly have no idea what's behind his outer image, but if you win him over you're likely to win a lot of the others over." The ranger sighed, then, "And finally you have the more annoying councillors. That is to say, the ones who would have us sit here and carry on building our walls higher and higher until we forgot the outside world even existed. Nicola Dawntreader, Ellea Vanuira and Rixnit Maker. Nicola is the fae councillor, much as I hate to say it, and like many of my people she's still trying to act as though Tai'emroth is one of our Groves, and we can just sit here and pretend our sacred homes aren't infested with void creatures. Ellea is a high elf like you, and I can imagine you have an idea of how much your leaders love to avoid conflict when they can curry words for years and years. And Rixnit is the goblin councillor - perfectly happy here, I imagine, since they live underground anyway. He's never shown an ounce of motivation to ever return to the surface or even his old home-tunnels."

By the time Ciela had finished her little lesson, they had ascended to the upper tier of the city. The streets here were far less busy, no shops lined them and what buildings there were, were extremely well made and tall. A small garden preceded their approach to the palace itself. The palace wasn't a magnificent structure like in Amarathia, largely due to the constraints of space and the lesser degree of infatuation with opulence of its dragonkin builders, but it was impressive nonetheless. Large oaken doors stood at the top of white stone stairs, and etched pillars supported a smooth and elegantly carved roof bearing images of all races in various scenarios of cooperation. If anything it more resembled a fine example of a courthouse than a palace. To the left of the palace, across another stretch of garden, rose a stunning white tower - the home of the Brotherhood and Sisterhood that Talos was a part of. White-robed figures were distantly visible making their way through the grounds, occasionally vanishing into silvery portals that slid closed behind them as quickly as they appeared.

The palace guard led them up the steps and held the door open as they entered. The entrance hall they emerged into was elegant but understated, similar to the exterior. Corridors led off to either side, and stairs led up to a balcony overhead that clearly led further into the palace, but the door the guard led them to was straight across the room. "Wait here," he said, "I will announce your presence to the council."

As the guard disappeared through the door, Ciela glanced to Sylvire and Natalie, "Any final questions? I was unsure about you, before, but after traveling with you this long I think I'm starting to be convinced. I'll do what I can to help you out in there, but you'll have a hell of a job ahead of you to convince these people that you're a legendary figure from a thousand years past. Only Aurora and Anuin were alive before the fall. I don't suppose you ever met either of them?"

Sylvire shook her head, "That would make things a lot easier, but no. I never spent much time in Dramath, and in my visits to Valmora I never encountered anyone by the name of Anuin."

"The world was different before the fall - a place that is surely not remembered by many still living in this city." Natalie looked almost as content as she was contemplative, lips thinly pressed together. "I would think there is some advantage to be found there, even if it is small."

"Perhaps," Sylvire nodded, "It is certainly a shared memory that would go some way to convincing them of who I am. Much can be learned from history books, but the finer details are often lost."

"Miss Featherfoot." Natalie directed her gaze towards their guide, briefly pausing as she considered her words. "Does the council come to decisions as a whole, or do the more influential members you mentioned earlier hold that responsibility aloft from the others, with all opinions and facts taken into consideration?"

"It's a voting system," Ciela answered, "As far as I'm aware in exceptional circumstances, i.e. wartime, the head of the council can override the consensus with the Captain-General's cooperation, but only regarding matters of war."

Natalie nodded, accepting of the task ahead of them. "Well, I have no more questions. Lady Nasazura?"

Sylvire nodded, "That is plenty of information to work with. Thank you, Ciela. It's good not to be going in blind."

The ranger shrugged in response, "I've no reason to think you mean our city harm at this point. You deserve a chance to argue your case fairly, and part of that is knowing who you're arguing with."

It was at that moment that the door to the council chamber was pushed open, and the palace guard who had escorted them walked out. "The council are ready to grant you an audience. Please, follow me." he said, gesturing for them to follow.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Re: Tai'emroth: Back Again

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:38 pm

(Post co-wrriten by Script, NotAFlyingToy, and Imehal)

The large wooden doors of the council chambers led into a grand room. It was circular in layout, the doors opening onto a large open floor clearly designed for speakers to address the council from. The council themselves were seated in a semi-circle on the opposite side of the room, upon throne-like chairs arranged on a raised gallery. The ceiling of the chamber was curved into a dome, decorated with murals and carvings in white stone that shone in light provided by a hovering orb in the center - a scaled down version of the ones that hung over the plains outside to provide the underground city with artificial daylight.

One couldn't help but feel, as they walked out into the center of the room's speaking floor, like an animal in a zoo being observed by 'higher' life forms, or a gladiator in a pit putting on shows for the watchers' entertainment. At least the thrones weren't as decadent and vulgar as those of most royalty. Eleven pairs of eyes watched the three take their positions on the floor, largely unreadable. There were hints - suspicion, curiosity, irritation - but all were practised in the art of keeping their emotions under wraps. Only one seemed at ease with the situation - the one pointed out as Anuin - a relaxed and almost peaceful quality to his visage.

At the center of the semicircle of councillors sat their leader - Vanor, pale blue skin contrasting with his white-blonde hair. He rose as the outsiders and Ciela took their positions, inclining his head respectfully. Scales were scattered in an irregular pattern over his visible body and face, his fingers ended in sharp albeit neatly kept claws, and a scaled reptillian tail protruded from a hole in his white-and-grey council robes. "Welcome, travellers," he began, "I trust that you have found the hospitality of our city to your liking. I am aware that you have laid claim to a name and a title we had long thought ... passed. Please, the floor is yours - we will listen to your claim and consider it. There are those who would have had me dismiss it as preposterous and impossible, but I have been persuaded to at least lend an ear."

Sylvire nodded her head as the dragonkin man took his seat, "For that I thank you, Councillor." she said, surveying each face around her briefly before she continued, "My name is Sylvire Nasazura, daughter of Ismeria Nasazura and as of her passing, rightful head of the House of the White Swan. But I come before you now not as Amarathian nobility, but as a member of the Patronus, chosen by Aurion Caldore and his successor as leader in the circumstances of our fall." The sorceress paused, casting her eyes around for a second time and meeting some of the more challenging stares head on.

Vanor maintained his largely unreadable expression as Sylvire spoke, before leaning back in his seat. "I am sure that many here will have questions for you, Lady Nasazura, and I am sure that we will need to explore slightly further to remove any doubt regarding your identity - which I am sure you understand, is quite difficult to believe."

"An understatement, Councillor," Daelin, the blood elf, spoke. "I would go so far as to state that this claim of heritage - let alone identity - is preposterous. What proof have you, Lady Nasazura?"

“Are you familiar with the traditions of House Nasazura, Councillor? Or perhaps Councillor Vanuira would be more familiar. Regardless, if either of you are, then you will be aware of the artefact that the head of my house carries.” Sylvire gestured to her staff, “Known as Soul, it contains the spirits of my ancestors - their wisdom and their power lies with me. I do not expect you to recognise it, as its manifestation changes form with each bearer. However, if necessary, I can provide a demonstration. On the other hand, I also carry with me this.” The sorceress reached beneath her cloak, pulling from around her neck a small amulet - a bright gem embedded in its center. “No doubt at least one of you will recognise this. It is referred to as the ‘Haywire Gem’. You should be aware of its function, if you want to give it a try. Either of these methods can verify my identity - do you have a preference?”

Daelin steepled her fingers. “Any looter with half a mind would be able to-”

“Come now, Daelin.” The soft voice of Luar, the Dragonkin member of the council, floated from the far end of the room. “Surely even you would recognize a lost artefact when you see one. A looter that keeps powerful artefacts to herself, posing as a head of a powerful family from our histories, to seek an audience with us? A mind so fond of flaws in stories as yours should sense the plausibility of that claim.”

Daelin nodded her acquiescence, before turning her sharp gaze upon Natalie. “And who are you a reincarnation of?” She snapped.

Natalie hesitated briefly before inclining her head to Daelin. There was no trace of offence in her expression, but a little amusement. “No one quite so grand, Councillor. My name is Natalie Oldburn, a sorcerer.” There was a pause, and then, “And also one of the Patronus.”

Anuin straightened slightly in his seat, his eyes becoming more sharp and focused on the two women. Beside him, Luar smiled.

“Welcome to both of you. Lady Nasazura, Lady Oldburn, if you’d be so kind, I would much appreciate a demonstration of your artefacts. If only to appease those in the room,” here, she gazed upon Daelin, “that would doubt their origin.”

“We can’t be fooled by shiny rocks, after all.” Roran, the human councillor, pointed out. His own gaze was flicking around Natalie’s form.

“I’m afraid I will require assistance on that front,” Sylvire noted, “After all, I doubt that me saying that my own magic is blocked will convince many of you.”

“Might I suggest,” this voice came from Aurora, the dark elf councillor, “That though the artefacts powers are most legendary, that mere power alone is no sure verification. In theory, a powerful enough being could replicate their effects. No, I think that a demonstration of House Nasazura’s heirloom would more than suffice to prove her identity. Ellea, Anuin - whether by personal experience or study, you are both aware of Soul’s nature, as am I. I trust that the rest of you will be satisfied with our testimony as to the genuine nature of the staff?” she paused for a moment, and when no objections arose, she continued. “Lady Nasazura, if you would..?”

Sylvire nodded, “As you would,” she said. The sorceress held her staff before her, placing it on the marble floor and lifting her hands to the orb. After a moment, the orb began to emit a pulsing faint blue light, growing steadily brighter until it suddenly burst into life. A beam of light shot to the room’s ceiling, enveloping the orb that hovered above and shifting the tint of the room’s lighting to its own, creating an ethereal appearance to the chamber. The beam faded, but the change in the room’s glow remained - albeit dimmer - as a tendril of more smoky light trailed out of the orb. Like a translucent glowing fog, the tendril shifted and grew in the air until it began to take on a humanoid shape, developing into the slim figure of a beautiful elven woman, garbed in flowing white robes that seemed to dance around her, along with her long dark hair, as though she were underwater.

“I am Ismeria Nasazura,” the spirit said, her voice resonating through the chamber as something more than simple sound, touching each listener as though it came both from within and outside their heads, “Those of you with the capability can sense that I am no illusion. I appear before you to verify my daughter’s identity, as can hundreds of my ancestors who have borne this artefact. For thousands of years I led House Nasazura, and Amarathia. Once I was known as Queen, but I fell from favour long before my time of passing came. My image is known to those of you who lived in those times, and could not be to any who did not. This is your proof - take it, and abide by it. I smile upon my daughter today, be sure that your ancestors will do the same by your actions.”

There was a hushed silence throughout the room as the woman’s words died, the councillors all looking at each other with a range of expressions. Anuin’s gaze slid to Ellea’s and Aurora’s, meeting their sure stares. He gave a long nod, and leaned back in his chair again, a picture of comfort and mild interest. Finally, Luar spoke, her hands folding as she gazed down upon the two women.

“My my.” She murmured, smiling. “That’s rather hard to argue with, wouldn’t you say, Daelin?”

Anuin gave a deep nod. “A testimony of that nature, I have not seen for some time.”

“A most unexpected turn of events for this day,” spoke Sheirar, “I for one would like to thank you two for making it so... spontaneous. But now I find myself wondering... What would a member of the Nasazura lineage and a Patronus be asking of this council?” Her eyes settled upon Natalie, waiting for an answer.

Sylvire merely nodded at the councillors’ appraisal of her demonstration as the spirit of her mother retreated into the staff, leaving the room to return to its normal lighting. “I ask of you aid on an expedition - a journey to Valmora, specifically the archives of Moenia Aeturna. There I hope to find information stored by the first Patronus that may enable us to defeat him once and for all. There is only so much we can do to stall his progress in strongholds and with barriers like the veil, we must take the fight to him - directly.” The sorceress surveyed the council sternly, “Unless we destroy the Sealed One, eventually he will win. He does not tire, his forces do not hunger nor age, he has no walls to be weakened. Even if the siege holds till water and wind erode the very mountain, he will win in the end. We cannot afford to ignore that reality any longer. We cannot afford to hide.”

A silence fell over the council in that moment, before an exclamation of disbelief came from the fae councillor Nicola, “You want an expedition to Valmora? That in itself is beyond insane, but Moenia Aeturna itself? You really don’t know much about the situation here, do you? Moenia Aeturna is the Sealed One’s central stronghold in Aelora. It’s where his foremost representative sits and commands his armies. One does not simply walk into Valmora.”

The blood elf, Daelin, then spoke. “I find far too much in this tale to be suspicious of. ‘Hope’ to find information? Your plan is to walk into a pit of darkness, and hope for some kind of miracle cure?

Luar shook her head, “They have a point, Daelin. What have we done to repress the tides but sit on our hands and watch from our walls? Action must be taken.”

From the far left of the two Patronus, Rixnit, the goblin councillor, let out a shrill snort. “The action we mussst take involvesss ssstrengthening our hold on our landsss. We could ussse sssuch ssskilled warriorsss here, rather than sssend them off to be murdered in a foolhardy venture.”

Sheiar steepled her fingers at that, her eyes closing, appearing to be daydreaming, deep in thought. Roran’s eyes, meanwhile, never strayed from Natalie.

“There is no wisdom in the total inaction we have pursued over the centuries of our siege,” Aurora spoke up, “While we sit here, we merely await our demise. Perhaps we should take the return of the heroes of old as a sign it is time for us to begin to reclaim our lands - and that starts with thwarting the Sealed One’s return.”

Interjecting, the high elf Ellea raised her voice, “The fact of the matter is we do not in any way have the resources for such a far-reaching strike. We have no control beyond our gates, we can barely move our scouts safely. How would we move an expedition to the heart of enemy lands? What little we know of the situation there comes from our most expert scouting squads, only a few of which made it back alive.”

It was at that point that Vanor, the head of the Council, finally spoke up. “Lady Nasazura, as you can tell, there are many varied opinions on your request. I ask that you allow us till tomorrow to come to a decision. If there is anything more you would like to present to us to argue your case - either of you,” the young dragonkin glanced at Natalie, “Then feel free to do so. Otherwise, I would not wish to keep you for the many hours it will likely take us to reach a verdict.”

Sylvire suppressed a frown, instead tilting her head respecfully. “I have only this to add, councillor. I will be undertaking this expedition regardless of the aid I am provided. I believe that the old knowledge is our best hope of defeating the Sealed One - no walls, no army can hope to stop him if he is released onto the world fully. In inaction you merely await your own deaths.”

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!