Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Technological Possibilities

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed May 10, 2006 1:19 pm

Offtopic: Out of curiousity, since I've never used photobucket... how does the GWing Gallery compare to it as a service?

Ontopic: Unless I failed to notice it, no one else has mentioned: It's ceramics that keep a shuttle from disintegrating in the atmosphere. By definition, ceramics are much more resistant to friction and heat than any sort of metal.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 pm

I never said the G-3 was actually at Odessa. I said they were redirected to Jaburo before they arrive at Odessa. The Graystar also departs Jaburo before White Base arrives, and before White Base, Blanc Rival, and Thoroughbred leave. When the G-3 is repaired, that is when it receives the magnetic coating. I guess I need to modify my second Graystar post.

I actually haven't watched any of 0080. I do know from watching 0079 that side 6 is neutral. I know the colony would not have GMs or Guncannon D types. Those are received from teh Developement station wherever Alex is. I guess I'll make it Antarctica, unless you or I find out otherwise.

Master: I may have said the ceramic thing already. I'll check. I know ceramics could withstand more heat than metal.

Just out of curiosity: did the Gemini, Apollo, and the like use metal plating on the re-entry capsule, or ceramics? And are the Flying Armor and Zeta's wing pack made of metal or ceramics?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Wed May 10, 2006 2:24 pm

On Photobucket: I just use photobucket because thats what I normaly use, haven't used the Gwing gallery, but I'll try it out later and see how they compare.

Now onto matters about the G3: At that time the G3 would still be on Luna II, with new technology being developed for it.

From what we know there were no GM Command's or Guncannon MP types in Antartica. There were GM Cold Climate types, which are another upgraded GM variant for artic operations.

Again, the base that the Feddy's have in Side 6 is pretty much only guarded by a few GM Command's, and they were apparantly destroyed by one of the Zeon raids, because once the Kampfer begins it's high speed assault, all the colony has to defend itself with is some small civil defense mobile suits (very small), and the Gray Phantom's mobile suit forces are also destroyed during this battle.

The Flying Armor, I would imagine would be a combination of ceramics for the side that shields the mobile suit, and probably titanium armor. They aren't that strong from what I've seen in Z and ZZ.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Wed May 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Well, maybe they'll receive the new MS at Jaburo. Who knows?

Hold on. I just had an idea. I'll go to mahq.net and see if the Flying Armor's armor materials are listed there.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Wed May 10, 2006 2:36 pm

They're not.

Also MAHQ has inaccuracies as well, just not as much, so they are usually a safe bet to go by.

If I was going to write a gundam fanfic, and I just had to use a Gundam, there would be a few things I would do. If I wanted to use something from the RX-78 line of mobile suits, I would probably go with one of the unknown RX-78-1's. Obviously you want to show damage and upgrades to the mobile suit through whatever battles that might be endured. The RX-78-1 carried a less powerful beam rifle than the RX-78-2, and would also have even more limited amount of rounds. I would suspect that also weapon systems like the beam saber wouldn't last as long as the RX-78-2 (since we do see the beam sabers in MSG lose power every so often). So there are a few upgrades there. Then later (and I mean much later, as in close to the end of the fic) magnetic coating is added.

The other option would be to create an entirly new experimental unit, that due to certain circumstances no one ever knew about, and was ultimately destroyed. Which in my opinion has gotten really...really...really old.

Edit: On another note, just uploaded the Hyaku Shiki paint job on a street bike, that I think kicks ass even if it's gold, on the gallery. Works just like photobucket.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Wed May 10, 2006 2:41 pm

Yeah, I agree about the unknown prototype.

Note, The G-3 usually uses the bazooka instead of the Beam Rifle, because of certain, unexplained technical difficulties, which will turn out to have been caused by a spy.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed May 10, 2006 2:42 pm

You still haven't answered his question about where Alex was developed. If he knew that bit of information, he wouldn't have suggested antartica.

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Wed May 10, 2006 2:44 pm

He said he didn't know.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed May 10, 2006 2:59 pm

I don't see that... but whatever...

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Wed May 10, 2006 10:04 pm

The NT-1 has no specific place of origin for it's development. It is shown in the first episode that parts of the Alex were being either developed or manufactured in the Feddy base in the Artic circle, but while the Cyclops Team from Zeon tries to attack, destroy/capture, it it takes off for Side 6.

Now it's not just that I don't know, it's that no one knows. The first place it's seen animation wise is the Artic circle, but development could have started at Jaburo or any number of Federation installations.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed May 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Ah, thanks

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 pm

Well that makes things a bit easier to meld into a presentable story.

Since G04, G05, and Mudrock were at Jaburo about the same time, then they left when White Base did, maybe Alex's technology was under developement there as well.

Anyone find out about the Apollo re-entry pod yet?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Thu May 11, 2006 10:49 am

Development most likely first began at Jaburo, yes. Probably, planning stages. Really early planning stages, but further developement as in suit design and equipment, thruster array, probaly didn't begin to after the White Base left. It could be feesible that the actual construction of parts was then directed to the Artic circle base, afterwards.

Now, with your new re-entry post. How are you using the shield to shield the entire body of the mobile suit? Yes the shields that came equipped on the RX-78 models and most RGM-79's is a large shield, but they aren't that big. Parts of your suit would be in danger of being destroyed and that could seriously damage the structrual integrity of the mobile suit. Gundam 0083 shows how dangerous that can be.

From what I see, your still using the thrusters already built into the G3 and as I've already pointed out on several occassions, they would not be enough to safely slow down the decent. If you did slam into the ground, you'd be crushed. Not just the mobile suit, you as well. There is also no evidence of fire control systems in the cockpits of mobile suits of that era. The only other problem I see is that the parachute boxes that you have installed, or atleast I assume they were equipped later, wouldn't have any place to mount on the mobile suit. You'd have to go into the fact that hardpoints were added to the armor so extra equipment could be installed. The only hardpoints on the RX-78's are the ones for the shield. The bazooka has a kind of flap (for lack of a better term) that folds down from the rear skirt armor.

Also I should note: The real G3 uses both beam rifle and bazooka, his G3 apparantly uses the bazooka more than the beam rifle.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 11, 2006 2:18 pm

The shield is not protecting the entire body. Think of a fat dude crouching on a short surfboard. mostly just the legs, cockpit, and left arm are somewhat protected.

There is also no evidence to prove against the fire extinguishing system. It protrudes from the exterior of the suit, mostly in case of a fire in the hangar bay. Imagine if, on Earth, there happened to be a fuel leak in the hangar, and because of the MS preparing to launch or other various factors, the fuel combusted. An external fire extinguishing system would be almost a necessity.

When the G-3 hit, it was not straight down, it was at an angle. Picture someone running, but their feet go out ahead of them, and they are sliding foot first, throwing their arms behind them in attempt to catch him or herself.

The parachutes deployed from the boxes already mounted on the waist armor. Maybe I should look to see if that needs clarification in the post.

I knew about the bazooka mount on the rear of the Gundam. I had the RX-78 toys, plus I have the 78-2 MG model kit.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Thu May 11, 2006 2:36 pm

I must say that if it were a real person, throwing their arms out behind them would break their wrists... but this is a suit and it's not critical for its wrists to still be functional...

I'll let Kiyoshi comment on the rest of it, because I'm too scattered to think straight about much...

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Yeah...the arms were kinda destroyed. That's why they were replaced.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Thu May 11, 2006 2:49 pm

Actually, I can pretty much prove that there are no fire control systems built into the mobile suit like that, especially on the RX-78 line. There's no place for such a system to be external. None. Also the only fuel would be propellent in the thrusters, which must have some sort of safety system since, well, in all of the series of Gundam, I haven't ever seen a propellent fire.

Those "boxes", as in the yellow ones (gray on the G-3) that you mentioned, could not store large enough parachutes. That and they don't store anything at all, but for the sake of arguement, let's just pretend that they could. If large enough parachutes to help with a mobile suit atmospheric re-entry could be stored in such a tiny location, why then would the 08th MS Team need such large thruster/parachute packs to allow them to safely land from just really high alittitudes?

The shield isn't the size of a large surfobard, the only things that would most likely be protected would be most of the upper torso. Actually with the MSIA G-3 right here, I can easilly sse that that idea will also not work. Furthermore, the shield burns up EARLY in the atmosphere, which I've already provided evidence for.

If you weren't dropping through the atmosphere, your idea for your crash landing would work. Unfortunatly, that's not how reentry works for...anything. At the force that the suit would land the legs would crush or be torn off (which ever comes first), and the rest of the suit would follow through and since you didn't disengage the top and bottom half of the suit and escaped in the core fighter, well your dead. You cannot get around this fact in the UC Gundam universe. Not sure how many times I have to tell you that. Just to state for everyone, UC Gundam is the most realistic of the Gundam universes, and you have to deal with real world physics. You wouldn't just have to replace the arms, and maybe some other damaged systems. The whole mobile suit would be destroyed, and the pilot would be dead.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 11, 2006 2:55 pm

But, again, it is also fictional. So just work with me.

Oh, by the way, I said small surfboard.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Thu May 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Fictional, yes, but utilizing real world physics. Now if there was no evidence of how a mobile suit is effected as it enters the atmosphere, then you could probably have it land and be alright. That's not the case though. Not at all.

And my bad with the surfboard thing (or surfobard as I spelled it lol).

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 11, 2006 9:06 pm

This is off topic, but something that I've been wondering.

How do the MS Generators work? And why can only MS with higher generator outputs tote beam weapons?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.