Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Technological Possibilities

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Thu May 11, 2006 9:16 pm

To answer the second question in lamen's terms: Because utilizing a beam weapon takes a shit load of energy.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 11, 2006 9:32 pm

Maybe I should have phrased my question like this: Why can only MS with high output generators use beam weapons when a beam weapon, like the RX-78 Beam Rifle, with an internal rechargeable power cell could be utilized?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Thu May 11, 2006 10:46 pm

http://www.ultimatemark.com/gundam/power.html

From the man who knows well more than me and once provided one of the best Gundam sites to ever exist. He also has a forward in the book you asked about.

Should explain much.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Fri May 12, 2006 9:17 am

Mark Simmons? He wrote a lot of other things I've read. I knew about him already, though not about his website. Thanks for the link.

Did you know Simmons is also on Encounters in Space? In mission mode, one of the male federation pilots, I forget which, is Mark Simmons if you don't input a new name for him.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Fri May 12, 2006 10:51 am

Yeah I did. Mark rules.

To fully answer your question. A beam rifle needs two things to operate - a supply of Minovsky particles, and a large amount of electrical power to squish them together into mega particles and fire them out of the gun. The E-Cap contains a handy supply of Minovsky particles, and it stores them in a compressed form so you don't need to apply quite as much electrical power to complete the fusion process and create mega particles. But that's still a lot of power, and it has to be provided by the mobile suit's own generator.

For a crude analogy, think of the particles stored in the E-Cap as being something like bullets in a revolver. The bullets still have to be struck by the gun's hammer in order to fire, and the equivalent process in a beam rifle requires a bit jolt of electrical power from the mobile suit's generator.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Fri May 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Ah. Okay.

I was looking at the RX-78-2 MG Model kit. The back of the legs have panels that open up to reveal a set of extra, albeit, small thrusters. Those in conjunction with the two large ones mounted in each foot and the two medium ones in the backpack should be enough to slow the MS significantly. I was also thinking about the parachutes. In my post, I said that they were made of a metal-laced fabric. When I posted that, I was picturing the blankets used by current day astronauts. Those blankets are really thin, and could fold up really small. Though that would not be strong enough to serve as a parachute, a more advance, stronger version that could still fold up very small, might be feasible.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Fri May 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Again I disagree. No mobile suit of that era had thrusters powerful enough to slow a mobile suit down through re-entry. Nor could parachutes be stored in any area already mounted on an RX-78 variant. Again the 08th MS Team's parachute pack is the example I refer to. There's no way you're going to get past that for either case.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Fri May 12, 2006 10:34 pm

Why could the parachutes not? I was thinking in the actual story, the Mechanics on the Graystar could out fit it for atmospheric operations. It could have parachute packs put into the boxes on its waist armor in case an air drop is necessary to insert a MS behind enemy lines during Odessa Day. Not that G-3 actually made it there.

Looking at the Ballute system, the G-3 would only have like two less thrusters than the extra units.

I'm not trying to have it survive in fully operational status, just to survive intct enough not to be judged a total loss, and so that it can be rebuilt.

OOC: If anyone else wants to interject on this topic, or other Gundam technology subjects, feel free to.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sat May 13, 2006 1:26 am

Because the parachutes have to be big, and parachutes that could be folded up small enough don't exist in the MSG time line. If they were the 08th Team would have had them. They do not, and again, there are no storage units on the RX-78's.

It's not the ammount of thrusters, it is the size and ammount of thrust they can produce. The G-3 does not have that kind of power.

The only way to do that is for to have it picked up in mid air, like the RX-78-2 was, and then it's just a copy of what previously has happened, so to me it sounds stupid. It's like "just watch the 10th episode of MSG, you'll see what happens".

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Sat May 13, 2006 9:21 am

Lack of money. I only have three discs of MSG, and none of them have that episode. Is there anywhere online that I could watch it free?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sat May 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Know how to use bit torrent?

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Sat May 13, 2006 8:38 pm

I just googled it. If I download it, can I download the files, then burn them to DVD? Will bittorrent work with dial-up?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 14, 2006 1:43 am

Yeah it'll just take a lot longer to download, since the episodes are large files. If you want to watch them from the DVD you really have to do some work, otherwise they won't line up correctly on the screen and things will be cut off.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun May 14, 2006 7:15 am

Speaking of bittorrent, I think I'll be posting a couple tutorials, as I've posted torrents here before.

Kiyoshi... thanks for the link! Holy CRAP I missed it! How long has Mark's site been up?
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 14, 2006 11:11 am

Been up for a long time. I think he's translating the MS-V booklets now, or atleast he's mentioned that somewhere.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Sun May 14, 2006 9:52 pm

I read Mark's article about the beam weapons. How does the MS transfer the electrical output to the handheld weapon? Conductive plates mounted in the hands? Something else?

Also, do you have any images that suggest the waist armor mounted boxes could not be used for storage?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Sun May 14, 2006 10:21 pm

Goth-3 Gundam wrote:I read Mark's article about the beam weapons. How does the MS transfer the electrical output to the handheld weapon? Conductive plates mounted in the hands? Something else?

Also, do you have any images that suggest the waist armor mounted boxes could not be used for storage?

Outlet in the hand.

If you've seen the 08th MS Team episode where they have a close up of the Gundam's hand picking up it's weapon, there's a "jack-up slot" in the hand that goes into the gun - granted that the gun they used used solid ammo (IIRC) but the principle is still the same. It's really the only place I remember seeing it in a graphical reference.

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 14, 2006 10:31 pm

I think the slot in the hand also transmits information such as what's left in a magazine/power for e-pack or e-cap (depending on what era of UC Gundam).

On the matter of images...other than showing that the size of parachutes storage couldn't obviously fit in it, by using screenshots that I've already used for 08th and some from MSG, I dunno. I'll dig around and see what I can find, but I'm still certain that those "boxes" can't be storage devices.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Mon May 15, 2006 9:17 am

I do remember that...I also have the RX-79[G] MG model kit, and come to think of it, the hands have that little slot thingy...

Kiyoshi, did you read my last post in Graystar? If you happen to have any info concerning Newtypes, I'd like to have it.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Mon May 15, 2006 10:26 pm

I'll read through everything when I have a bit more time, and post up any inaccuracies I find. This won't be in an effort to bash what your doing, but to point out how it does not correspond with what actually happens in the Gundam universe.

The whole reason for all of this is because I do not want people to get an incorrect perspective of UC Gundam, since very few actually know it. I mean I already have to deal with people who think Gundam Seed is the only Gundam series to ever really exist and think that the lack of any technological explination for what happens in the so far two series (and soon a movie and an OVA) as well as lack of a good story, and very poor series direction is awesome, in other places. Seeing that this site is primarly for New Mobile Report: Gundam W, which is also a stretch from UC Gundam, I have to be on my toes here too lol.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.