Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Technological Possibilities

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Tue May 16, 2006 9:19 am

I know, and I won't take it as a bash. I asked for input. I'm trying not to conflict with concrete, cannon events, but merely to add on a side story. I might eventually change the name of the Graystar. Though, I don't know if any history is given for the other OYW Pegasus Class ships.

:idea: Was Mudrock considered part of G4? I was doing research, and it was developed at Jaburo, and has weapons mounted in its forearms. In Zeonic front, (which I have, and have beaten), the Mudrock and Blanc rival are damaged at Jaburo. What if the Blanc Rival had another G4 Gundam which was effectively destroyed by the Midnight Fenrir's attack? The G4 arms could have been salvaged from that.

Here's a bit I borrowed from Mark Simmon's timeline:

23:00 Four warships, including the White Base, launch from Jaburo to divert the Principality forces. Each ship takes a different course. (Local time is 19:00.)
(Mobile Suit Gundam episode 31)
* Source: Master Grade MS-09R Rick Dom manual. The local time is specified in the episode's dialogue. Although there's no information as to the identity of the other ships, they could perhaps be other vessels of the Pegasus class. See footnote 11: Departure From Jaburo.

The Graystar could be a part of this...unless you have documentation of which ships actually launched...
(This part is purely speculation.) :idea:

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Wed May 17, 2006 9:43 pm

Mmkay...I found a pic of the RX-78-5/[Bst] MG Model kit. Look at the waist armor. Do you think the 78-2/3 would be built the same way?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/littlethingsmeanalot_1894_30436079

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Wed May 17, 2006 10:26 pm

Which unit do you mean by G4? Murdock is a -6.

What depends on the use of any kind of different arms really is the time frame that your putting things into. Whether there's enough time between destruction of the unit and salvage and then transport to wherever you are, before the war ends.

On the G05, yes I believe the G-3 would have similar skirt armor, and I don't see that as being some sort of storage device, even if it is, there is still not enough room for parachutes. Well, ones that would be effective to slow down the mobile suit anyway.

I'll try reading your fanfic tomarrow if i can find the time.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 18, 2006 9:24 am

Yes! I have at least a small amount of, uh, proof?, that the waist boxes on the RX-78-2/3 are empty. I was looking through some boxes yesterday, and I ran across my MG model kit manual. On page 3, it shows an illustration of the RX-78-2 in "full open mode" where all of the moving panels are show as open to reveal the inner workings. The boxes are shown as hollow. Also, there are numerous panels in which a fire extinguishing system could be stored and extend from. I'll try to find some pics.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Thu May 18, 2006 10:40 am

There's still no proof that a fire extinquish system exists though. You think by now there would be some indication of one, so I still say that couldn't happen. Also I still say those boxes are not storage compartments of any kind and could not hold effective parachute devices. Again, if something so small could contain parachutes that would slow the mobile suit down enough during re-entry, why in the hell would the 08th MS Team need two distinctivly different and large parachute systems, when they are only parachuting within the atmosphere?

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 pm

I never said the parachutes were intended for use in re-entry. I said they were for air-drop use. In that case, the G-3 already has more, and more powerful thrusters than the 79.

A good reason for there not being any proff of a fire-extinguishing system is: most of the time, the show/movie focuses more on combat situations and other timeline relevant material, where as a fan-fic could focus more on the fine-details of every day situations and mistakes in a hangar.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Thu May 18, 2006 3:54 pm

Mistakes that don't happen, but whatever.

Even for an air-drop they wouldn't be successful, and furthermore, the thrusters on the G-3 are not powerful enough to slow it down enough for re-entry as I've already covered many, many times.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Fri May 19, 2006 10:13 am

I'm through arguing about the thrusters. I said it was not intended to be operational, only rebuildable enough to not be called a total loss.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Fri May 19, 2006 10:46 am

And there's no way it wouldn't be a total loss from anything that you can do with G-3 and 0079 technology that you would possibly have access to.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Thu May 25, 2006 8:04 pm

Done some thinking...that hurt. Oi. Anywho, I might write it up so that the Graystar mechanics use the armor components from the Guncannons and Guntank that were not damaged to partially rebuild the G-3's les...but that's just an idea.

On another part of the topic... This is not an argument, but, how did the Zeon MS survive the drop operation over Jaburo without parachutes? I watched some cutscenes and read the 2nd part of the Lost War Chronicles and noticed that none of the Mobile Suits had any parachutes equipped.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 28, 2006 6:10 pm

If I remember correctly, they were dropped in by Gaw attack carriers, and not at such an extreme altitude that would require some sort of external device to slow decent. Plus those attack outside were supposed to be diverting most of Jaburo's defences from Char and the rest of those aquatic mobile suits, so they could sneak in.

From what I've read of your fanfic, there's a lot of inaccuracies. For one, Newtypes, we're still of an unsure thing. More like a rumor. Yes, there were some that bought into the idea, and there was considerable research done on both sides, but I don't think you could get information like that. Plus the way you describe the movements of the mobile suits to me don't really work, but that's just me.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 28, 2006 6:25 pm

For some reason it won't let me send you a PM...so I'll just post it here:

It wasn't intended to be any kind of attack against you. The whole reason there is a UC RP in the first place is cause I asked Master if it would be alright if I ran it. I'm fine with your story in fanfic form, and I've stated why I've called things out on it. However, what happens in the UC RP, if taken place during cannon timelines, will be upheld. This is why I would prefer to do something post CCA or after F91. More room for creative RP.

The reason for not allowing Gundams, is to keep things fair. Most people are going to want one, thing is...not everyone had one. The G-3 was nothing more than a test unit on Luna II, so unless you want to do an RP where your only stationed on Luna II the entire time, didn't see any combat, and just testing technology on the unit, keep it to your fan fic.

I also highly enjoyed the Gundam novels...well except Amuro's death. It makes me sad that we probably won't see any other of the Novels. Tomino's novels for CCA are supposedly much better than the movie. If you are into G-Seed then tokyopop is releasing the novels of them...but from what I've heard there's some bad translations, and plus I don't really like Gundam Seed that much anyway.

Other than a still badly filled engrish of Gundam Sentinel, I don't have any translated texts. So nothing for the G-3.

White Base II (Jr., which ever you want to use) has very little information on it, so you have freedom there. Atleast, from what I've seen, I'll see what I can come up with, but I doubt I'll find much. Ships usually have less information than mobile suits.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Sun May 28, 2006 7:30 pm

Yes...After Reading the novels I realized I have much to work on. The part of the Newtype info, DeMarco has some good connections, which will be explained sometime later if I can ever think of how I should keep writing without becoming monotonous, and it is classified, so...yeah. The MS movements, I've never read a giant robot novel before, so I was winging it on how I should describe the combat, and since reading the novels I'll be able to work on that, though, at times Tomino's description of combat also seemed to repeat itself...oh well.

Do you know of any accounts of Johnny Ridden's activities between Loum and Texas colony? Everything I know about comes from the cutscenes on EIS. I was going to use him as the primary agressor of the Graystar, or WB II, or whatever it eventually is. I was also going to have him defeated by Eros at A Baoa Qu in order to describe his mysterious demise. But that's still in the works, much like everything else.

In the UC RP, if someone uses a high-mobility Zaku or any type of Gelgoog, they could theoretically stand a chance against the G-3.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 28, 2006 7:57 pm

I blame the monotonomy of the mobile suit combat on the translation. Though I've never seen the actual japanese version of the novels, I'm sure it probably had a lost in translation effect.

Ah Johnny Ridden, yes his exploits are well documented (other than his mysterious demise) so you can't "technically" use him, but again, as you like to point out, it's your fanfic so do what you want.

High Mobility Zaku's and the Gelgoogs didn't show up until late in the war, and going up against some of the GM variants of the time didn't help them too much.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Sun May 28, 2006 9:40 pm

Actually you could have Ridden and your character meet in battle...kind of. While it's certainly clear he never fought the G-3, he did attack supply lines that came from Jaburo heading for Luna II, where the G-3 was stationed...

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Mon May 29, 2006 2:49 pm

I just had an idea...sort of. I originally intended for the novel to start three hours out from Side 7, but I recently realized that Side 7 wouldn't be able to have recuperated that soon after an attack...but did it have other colonies than the one that the firts episode took place in? In the novels it said that Side7 was not yet complete...anywho the Graystar could depart from Luna II, link up with a supply group, then head down to Earth under orders to participate in Odessa Day. And you know the rest for the time being.

I had another idea. This story stars about the same time that the White Base fights Ramba Ral and the Black Tristars, so, if I go by the show, I might could have the Graystar be supplied with a G-Fighter which links up with the G-3 early during re-entry, then, due to extreme stress on the fighter, disconnect, leaving the G-3 and the pilot of the G-Fighter to finish re-entry in only the G-3...maybe.

I found a site where someone translated a manga about Johnny Ridden:

[url]side7.gundam.com/whitewolf/rgz/jr/crimson.htm[/url]

Something else I thought about: If the White Base had to catch the Gundam, wouldn't the hangar deck have been torn apart by the superheated air...or at least somewhat melted?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FutureKiyoshi on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:44 am

Ah HA! I have more proof that the boxes could not be storage units for parachutes. After re-reading one of Mark Simmons articles and going through the foot notes, he mentiones that they are "Helium control cores". It's footnote 9 in his power crazy article.

FutureKiyoshi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:41 pm

I surrender about the prachutes. Only because Mark Simmons says that, and I think I'd defer to him.

Consider this: a prototype G-Fighter launches from "Graystar"; connects with the G-3, which has the shield mounted vertically on the hardpoint on its backpack; the G-3 and G-Fighter's cooling systems kick in, but the stress on the exterior of the G-Fighter proves to be too intense, so, they separate; G-3 fires all thrusters and makes a touchdown as I have already described.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:57 pm

I recently got the first two parts of Kazuhisa Kondo's comic adaptation of 0079. in it, the Gundam and its shield, though it got badly damaged, survived re-entry until they were past the cloud layer. In the comic, the White Base caught the Gundam on the exterior landing pad thingy. I was wondering, in the show, did WB catch Gundam in the hangar, or on the exterior? If they tried to catch it inside, don't you think that the super-heated air rushing into the bay would cause the bay's walls to expand and tear the WB apart?

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Goth-3 Gundam on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Well, to anyone who cares, sorry for the triple post, (This whole thing looks kinda stupid now, and I'll admit I was being bullheaded), but I found out something that makes the fire-extinguishers plausible. In MSG the Movie II, the core booster has a fire-extinguisher system mounted on its exterior.

Yeah...wrote a little more in the fanfic...changed a lot...changed the Graystar to Stallion since it was a registered Pegasus class ship, and I have been unable to find anything about its activites in the war...guess I'll post my revisions if I ever get the chance.

Goth-3 Gundam
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.