Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

The ability to control other characters

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

The ability to control other characters

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby abbynadya on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:25 am

Hi.

So not everyone can online at the same time. Some people's night was a day for others. So they were busy and need to work, sleep,etc

So why not the ability to control other characters been implemented?

Many people calls its a God modding, that something i don't see appropriate.

I'm thinking of an RP that give the players the ability to control other players characters.

I think its fun to reads how other people portray our character on their post.

Somehow, to using other player's character, one needs to learn the character's personality on the character sheets.

What do you guys think of this ideas? is it fun? or worse?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

abbynadya
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The ability to control other characters

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 am

I allow minor controlling of my character. For example if a character has suggested their character and mine should go somewhere, and my character agrees, I'm fine with the next post being 'when they arrived at ____' because it saves time and cuts out boring posts. I also have no problem with RPers that I know fairly well making up a few minor incidents in the past, like say, a colleague of one of my characters discussing the time my character got drunk and got into a fight with a shop mannequin or something like that. In general I'd only trust that to people who I've been RPing with for a while though.

On the other hand, I would not want other writing my own character for me, especially not if it was purely for the fact that I wasn't around to post. If nothing else, it'd make me feel rather superfluous if people were just using my character without my input, and beyond that, even with a detailed character sheet, there are lots of small quirks to a character that might not have been brought up.

For instance one of my characters has a whole load of hang-ups which are subtly noticeable. She doesn't like physical contact, and despite being a vampire, she hates biting people. Now, since I don't want to tell everyone in the RP the reasons for that, I want the characters to interpret that in their own way. I don't necessarily want to have to spell it out to everyone, I want some things to remain a secret for a reveal later, and I wouldn't want someone else taking the character and portraying her using their theory of why she behaves that way, because it'll be inconsistent.

Hopefully I'm making sense here.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackbird26 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:29 am

I agree with VitaminHeart... I personally wouldn't like other people controlling my characters. No matter how much I write on a character sheet, there is always a lot I keep to myself about their personalities and what goes on in their heads at certain moments.

Now, I have had others write my characters within my group RP for little scenes and flashbacks, with my consent. It was slightly satisfying for me to see how accurately my co-writers can portray my characters. That said; those are people I have RPed with for quite a bit of time, and I trust them with writing my characters if needed. There was one scene I found my character was so well-written that I had to say I wouldn't have written that scene better myself. It was nice to see that I portrayed her personality so well that another player could pick it up so easily.

Personally, I also dislike the idea of controlling another person's character. That is something I avoid doing at all costs, because I can never write as comfortably as I would like that way. It feels like waking up in someone else's clothes in a way.

If your idea is a roleplay built entirely around the premise of being able to control any of the characters at any given time. I say there'd have to be a group that can work extremely well together to pull something like that off, write a decent story and not have said characters be incredibly shallow or inconsistent.

I mean, as much as I would trust my co-writers with minor scenes, I would not give them that level of control over my characters, because there are deeper aspects of my characters only I know and they would have to be considered in 99% of the scenes; For instance, I have a character whose response to intense pain, or high stress, is to laugh. Even though that is seen in a couple of scenes, it isn't established what, in his point of view, is considered intense pain or high stress; you'll only know that when I have him giggle like an idiot in a moment no one is being even remotely funny. If there is more than one player playing the same character these little details would be lost or highly inconsistent as they would differ depending on who is controlling the character.

Not to mention that if everyone knows every aspect of every character, it kills part of the fun of having them interact.
"Real power comes not from hate, but from truth."

Blackbird26
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:06 am

If everyone knows others will be controlling their character at times and is okay with that, go for it. The concept is not broken in and of itself. It could be an interesting premise for an RP if you got enough people together that actually liked RPing that way.

However, yes, it is considered godmoding in most contexts. Except in RPs where it has been established at the very beginning that others can control your character, it should be avoided. People put a lot of work into their characters. They're often works with a lot of personal investment, and I think people are within their bounds to want to be the sole puppeteer.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:34 am

In my favorite roleplay, Outcross: The Letter M myself, Vyral, and Script (we later added another member) started off the roleplay agreeing that we would be alright writing each others' characters. In fact, that was how the story was intended to advance. It was supposed to be a loosely connected series of vignettes through first-person (the poster) and their observations of the other characters in the world, or, the rest of us. I don't know if that was confusing or not.

The unique thing about Outcross is that every post is made in first-person, according to who posted it. We're all playing heightened versions of ourselves, so to a certain extent there's no one who can post and know more about who we are as, well, the poster - but on the other hand, we're such good friends we trust each other.

The difference, and I think Marionette touched on this a bit, is that we established from the get-go that we'd be writing each other. Right now, our posts have ground to a standstill and Vyral hasn't posted in a while, which is fine. I'm gearing up to write his post for him, or have another player write their own post (first person) and just describe what Vyral would do, in third person.

So! I'll try and be more direct with the answering, here. With notification and with extenuating circumstances, do what you have to do. It is definitely the final taboo when it comes to roleplaying. On a general practice, it's not okay. Which makes me wonder if we shouldn't start challenging this convention in the future. xD

-VV

ViceVersus
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Guilty Carrion on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 am

An interesting concept to ponder. I think I share an opinion with a large number of those who have already responded. If people know from the get go, then it should be fine, provided no one gets TOO territorial. One of the RPs I'm in, we're generally all comfortable with everyone using each others characters to a certain extent, provided we're consulted on anything overly major.

One of my own characters, interestingly enough, has shown up a few times in the RP thus far. I've never once actually written when he shows up. He's always been written by one of the others. It's curious to see how they interpret a character that they've never seen written, only described by me. It's made him a little vague at first, which serves his purpose well.

So, like most things in life, awareness and consent are the big parts. The rest is just practice.
Glory to the Carrion and Death to the Guilty!

Guilty Carrion
Member for 11 years
Author Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:41 am

Sato's mention of "extenuating circumstances" reminded me that it might be acceptable in emergencies that are threatening to bring the RP to a halt even without prior consent, but I still prefer to include a rule at the beginning like "if you disappear for a certain amount of time, we may have to gently move your character out of the way so we can carry on" if I think this tactic will be necessary. Notification is good even in this case. If you can't get a response from the person, at least leave them a note in whatever way possible (here, PM them) so they can see it if they return. Consent is far better! But since I am mostly talking "this person dropped off the face of the planet forever, and we're totally stuck because of it, so what do we do?!" issues here, it may not be possible.

In cases like this, I really have to emphasize the words gently and out of the way. I have seen GMs who like to murder characters whose players have gone AWOL (often in the most bombastic, "let's make sure you're EXTRA dead" way they can). This comes off as very spiteful to me. Except in the most tightly constructed settings, there's usually a way to remove the character which:

a) allows for their later return (if you would allow it).
b) doesn't come off as spiteful and possibly outright insulting or upsetting to the player depending upon their feelings.

Whether you'd allow them to return or not, it is in your best interests to be civil. That one player is usually not your only player... you're being watched. If you did something rude/mean/thoughtless/extreme to one player, how do they know you won't do it to them? If a game has a negative atmosphere, I will likely leave. If a GM doesn't seem fair or appears not to have the players' best interests at heart, I will likely leave. This is happy fun time for me, and I don't have to spend it in an environment that feels hostile! I'm not the only one who feels this way, so be careful, and err on the side of, say, "dedicated family man PC had a family emergency and had to leave, possibly indefinitely" rather than "dedicated family man PC is EVISCERATED BY A BEAR."

Marionette
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!