Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution »

The Amber Library

The Amber Library

a part of “The Amber Library”, a fictional universe by Arke.

A city with technology built for only the purest intentions will still yield unintended consequences.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Amber Library”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Amber Library

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Links

1. RP Tab
  2. IC
  3. OOC
  4. Races and Classes
  5. Technology and Time Travel
  6. The Island and NPCs
  7. Character List

Discuss miscellaneous things here. Feel free to remind me of things you feel may be missing.

EDIT: Also, please do not post in any of the other OOCs unless it explicitly mentions that you may do so.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arke
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Re: The Amber Library

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ezarael on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Shank! I am sooo on this!
Isn't it strange how Decidedly we
will chasE such an iNdefinable concept
That cannot truly descrIbe us no
maTter how hard we trY?
-Insert Credit Here

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ezarael
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Ha, I was just thinking the other day that this might start soon.

-subscribes to thread, patiently awaits time-travel info-
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:35 pm

what. how.
...what.

Arke
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 pm

We're ninja.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mat_z6 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 pm

This looks very interesting! I'd like to join but I have some questions regarding the tech level of humanity by this time. Can you fill me in with some details?

Mat_z6
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm glad you want to join, however I ask you to hold your questions until I am finished posting everything, and then you can PM me any questions you may have.

Arke
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 pm

And just when I began to think this had died.

This shows up. *Squees*
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Talisman
Member for 12 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:26 pm

I thought me insisting that the idea was not dead would imply otherwise, Tally?

Race and Classes page is finished!

EDIT: Check the RP tab for updates on the progress of the Roleplay. Much easier than spamming this place up with my nonsense.

Arke
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dreamalot106 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:55 pm

This roleplay sounds incredibly awesome! I definitely would like to be a part of this once it gets going!

Dreamalot106
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:13 pm

I would love to join your RP :)

I have two questions about races and classes:
1) Can a character have any combination of race and class?
2) What is the difference between Intelligence ability of a Cyborg and problem solving ability of Human?

Thanks.

*waits for time travel information*
ImageRespect ma authoritah!
Are you irritated at coming last in every single thing? Don't worry. For just a cookie, I'll be TheFinalOne.

TheFinalOne
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:20 am

@Dreamalot- That's great! I'll send you a message when it's all done.

@TheFinal- You can have any combination, but do keep in mind the conditions set for the classes and races. For example, if you were to be a Guerilla Fighter and a Cyborg, you'd have to consider the fact that you are more likely to be caught by the Library. Cyborgs cannot survive without a power source, and the most viable way to get it is within the Library's territory. This means that you can never really set foot outside it, and you'd have to come up with a believable backstory.

Regarding your second question, it's pretty easy to explain. A cyborg gains high intelligence capacities after undergoing surgeries or augmentations, but it does not increase their dexterity, or natural cunning, or experience. There are people who are smart, but find it difficult to solve some problems. There are some people who are naturals at solving riddles, problems, etc but may not be very smart. You could say that by being a Cyborg, your ability to solve problems efficiently decreases because now your brain functions differently, in the form of "input-output" commands that don't really allow room for gray areas. it's the reason why artificially replicating intelligence is very difficult.

Arke
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 am

So the student surpasses the master? Excellent work here, Shiva.
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Yeah, I gots a question about the Anthromorphs.

Do they always have their chosen animal traits, as in the centaur thing you have as the picture. Or do they look human, and then transform (IE into that centaur thing). Or do they look human with a certain trait of the animal (Following the centaur theme, a horse tail or mane), and when they transform it becomes more pronounced. Or is it whatever we decide and I'm over thinking this?

I'm playing with the idea of a Stag based Anthro (With super skittish powers).

Talisman
Member for 12 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 pm

@Flyguy: Nowhere near as good as yours yet, man. Not even close. But thanks!

@Talisman: Anthromorphs have the ability to shift their biomass and morph their body into their animal at will. In their normal state, they are human with slightly different features (for example, a man with the Spider trait might have more eyes or a more rounded waist). But when they change, they can decide how much of their body they want to morph into the animal (man with spider trait can turn his entire lower body into an abdomen and add eight legs)

The trade off is, that while in the normal state they aren't much stronger or unusual than the average human, but when they do they start gaining the special powers or abilities that animal has, but sacrifice cognitive thinking. They become more primal or instinctive when transformed.

Arke
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Um, can I make a Psion character that owns a company called "DotNettoCom"? It's a leading technology company, but it has a different purose than Amber Library. Though they sell weapons and other military things to the government, they also specialize in computers and robots. The owner of the company is a Psion named Com Exburna. He, though creates military things, likes to focus on his Artificial Intelligence project. So far, he's only made one successful, fully operative, and non-hostile A.I., Dot. Dot was Com's assistant and was a program that had control over many things in Com's lair. However, Com once made a military robot, programmed to be able to copy the abilities, weapons, and behavior of a humanoid. The prototype was a full success, but the true one went insane. It had escaped, but Com assumed it died. He decided to reactivate his prototype, upload his A.I., Dot, to it, and renaming it Rookie. Rookie is now Com's assistant and second in command of Com's company. Rookie's a loyal and kind robot, and often has to take care of Com, because even if Com is a Psion. it doesn't seem healthy to strain one's body like that. Of course, nobody can tell if a Psion is actually straining his own body or not.

Com has close ties with Amber Library, and often visits. He will sometimes give his own advice and thinkings to the company. Though he is interested in the Time Travel project, he does not wish to work on it himself. He does however know the solution in travelling to the future, but technically, it's not exactly "Time Travel." It's more of "Time-Speed Bending", or, it possibly could be considered as "Stasis". Com is more interested in science involving the ability to create something with the ability to have human values, like Creativity, Emotion, Riddle-Solving, Behaviour, and even Habits, Likes, Dislikes, Passion and Bonding, a.k.a. Attraction. He isn't as involved in Final Dimensional sciences. A lot of Com's A.I. theroy has to do with a belief of there being a Cyber World, a physical dimension created by Computers, Programming and The Internet and Radio Waves, which binds the Cyber World as one.

How about it. Also, I was thinking that Psions seem to not require anything to let their mind work, for eating, drinking, and sleeping are factors that not only refresh the body but also let the mind work. Maybe Psions take a lot of strain on their bodies, but they don't know it. In fact, Amber Library doesn't know this yet. Maybe Psions have an extremely weak immune system, and then it gets worse and worse, like some mental problems. Com actually got amnesia when he became a Psion, but he ignored it. Maybe some Psions may have fainting periods, and if it gets more serious, possibly temporary Mental Blocks, Mind-Shock Resets and Temporary to Pernament Amnesia, and possibly leading to Loss of Sense, Brain Cancer, Braindeath, or Full Death, if a cold doesn't kill them first. However, Amber Library has not seen these things with anybody they've monitered yet, and those who have gotten this, were Psions who faked their death and no longer were monitered by Amber Library. I don't know, but it'd only make sense.

So, you okay with any of this?

Lloyd999
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 pm

So you would like to introduce:
  • Artificial Intelligence (that only your character would have access to, regardless of the Library having influence over practically everyone.)
  • The knowledge on how to travel to the future (that only your character will know.)
  • That Psions are now suffering from random problems that absolutely no one has managed to notice, even though they seem pretty noticeable.
  • And an alternate universe exclusively for robots?
You might want to send him a PM if your going to suggest significant changes.

Lifecharacter
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 pm

@Lloyd- I have sent my response to your proposal through PM. Please send your response back over through PM as well.

I would like to remind everyone that becoming a Psion is a very expensive and lengthy procedure, and that Psions make up less than 1% of the population. I will judge Psion character sheets more harshly, and Psions also have a chance of getting the short end of the stick when the RP actually starts because of their natural advantage over most other races.

Factors that will also affect how harshly I judge an application is how much power/influence/money that the character has, and what relations they have to other NPCs or the Island. I am very open to any types of characters, even Psion CEOs, but you have to prove to me that you can handle the responsibility.

Also, it is impossible to go into the future. The short reason for why is because it requires infinitely large amounts of energy to do so.

Arke
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:11 pm

And here I am, just wondering whether I want to make a Buck anthro or a Doe anthro (Totally picking doe).

And she's going to be precious, excitable, and skittish little thing. Oh my gosh I love her, I already know the Alias she's going use: Doe Eyes. Although, I will give a forewarning. She has a groan inducing surname... Hart. It's been awhile since I played a diabetes inducing sweethart (Oh god, that one hurt me).

One thing more. We can make more than one character, right? Not saying I'm going to make two right off the bat (I've got my hands full with Codename: Doe Eyes), but I may make another later on down the line if that's an option.

Talisman
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 pm

More than one character is acceptable if I feel that you can handle them both. There shouldn't be a problem in that regard for most people though, until it starts extending down into three or more characters.

Arke
Member for 12 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!