Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Cost Of Paradise

The Argument Box

a part of “The Cost Of Paradise”, a fictional universe by Ersatz Creed.

With the arrival of a Pagan Priestess and a few of the followers she takes on pilgrimage never returning, the King and the Praetor have grown suspicious. They both have hired their own people to investigate what exactly is at this shrine.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Cost Of Paradise”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Argument Box

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 pm

This OCC started as a place for religious discussion and got blown out of the water with a holy war. My solution...the Argument box. Please take all arguments here.

It's a safe environment for either party and prevents others from being forced to read or feel the need to nose in.

Think of it like a box....it's safe and semi private (not really cuz we can hear you!).

Enjoy
Last edited by nibblesnbits on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come Away With Me...Let me show you what I can see

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: The Old Religion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:17 pm

The Old Religion

Known as the most popular and recognized religion of Ethrne, the Old Religion is known just as that. The origins of this religion isn’t well known, making it clearly very old. However, there are several religious texts and rituals which have been passed down orally until they could be written down.

God:

Frist, let’s talk about the god. In this religion there is only one god, a man named Vladar. He holds no physical shape so it is impossible to describe him in one way or another. Why is this the case? Because he is a solitary god, he controls everything; rain, fire, birth, death, young, old, crops, and even animals. However, the religion has given him an image for worshiping purposes. He is depicted as a knowledgeable man, a warrior, a good husband and even better father. He is not old, mostly drawn in his early thirties with a gold circlet on top of his white coloured hair. Often times his eyes are painted sky blue and has the society definition of a strong body.

Vladar is NOT considered a cruel god. Considered reasonable and understanding, Vladar is all about fairness. Justice is served only in the life lived. Meaning every deed, good and bad, is immediately returned. Bad luck doesn’t exist and neither does good luck. Examples of this idealism are:

Good: Housing the less fortunate could bring you greater wealth, feeding the less fortunate could bring better crops next season, ect.

Bad: Beating a dog can leave you with fleas, not giving enough of your crop to his name results in a bad growing season, ect.

Because of this karma, the afterlife is seen more as a final resting place with no worries or pain.

Creation Myth:

All good religions have a creation myth; how the world was born, how people were created, and who did it. In the Old Religion, Vladar was born from the twinkle of the moon on a lake from a world that was about to be devoured by the world eating demon, Shegroth. For six days and nights Vladar and Shegroth fought—Vladar winning by day and Shegroth winning by night. It was on the morning of the seventh day that Vladar was finally able to defeat the World Eater, but by that time he was too late. The world had been destroyed by their trampling feet and nothing remained but stone.
Vladar was not one to be discouraged and quickly he tore the World Eater apart. From the demon’s blood, Vladar created the water. From the legs of the demon he created the new fertile ground and from the chest he created the cavity of the sky. From the arms he created the mountains and from the hair he created the wind. As a trophy, Vladar kept Shegroth’s head tied to his belt and watched as the world around him began to flourish.

Sadly, Vladar began to find that he was lonely. There was nothing on this earth beside plants and flowers and while they were entertaining to speak to, they provided little entertainment. It was then that Vladar dug down into the ground and fashioned every single animal alive in the world from clay. From the veins of the planet, hot as fire, he was able to cook each clay figurine. Then, ever so carefully he began to pluck the hairs from Shegroth’s beard, placing them onto his creations and watching as life flowed into them one by one. His last creation was that of mankind, but when he reached for a hair, he was unnerved to find that there was none left. With no other choice, Vladar breathed life into the clay figures, granting mankind intelligence and power over all.

As he marvelled over his miniature creations he stepped onto the skull of Shegroth and all the worlds that had been consumed and held inside the beast’s head were released. The worlds leapt up into the sky, catching Vladar in their mad escape and carrying him up into the heavens where they rest as twinkling stars.

Religious Texts:
There are thousands of scrolls and documents that have stories, religious information, and worshiping instructions. I am not going to name every single one and want to leave both this section and the Worship section open to interpretation (just like almost every religion).

Worship:
Some simple ways to worship include but are not limited to: sacrifice, prayer, offerings, religious festivals, ect.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aethus on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:38 pm

So, should the Old Religion be connected with the Tyralin Order? I know you kinda took the name for my leader and all but . . . yea . . .

Aethus
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm sorry. Can you restate the question?

I'm a bit confused considering that Vladar is my own creation and the only person I told was Eraz. I've been working on the religion for over a week and just finished it up...a little clarification would be nice.

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aethus on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:34 pm

The word praetor is the name i gave to the advertising person.
Yes,the religion is yours but the word praetor is of my creation and i would like for it to be given back. This was back when you guys were still advertising and you guys said you wanted help with world building. I in advertantly introduced my character in a pm and we discussed something but never follwed up. Then you started using the name with this whole old religion thing and id prefer you to change it. In Tyralic,the word praetor has a ver y special meaning and i would like it to remain consistent .
Last edited by Aethus on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aethus
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:38 pm

The way it was explained to me, praetor was the head of the Old religion, think high priest, or even like a pope. Not the god. Is this incorrect?

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aethus on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:57 pm

The praetor is the head of the Tyralin religion. I expressed my want for my character and his religion to NOT be the main religion, reason being is that the tyralins are NOT human (though most cannot tell as they look similar)

My character brings history, stories, customs, traditions, languAges, and of course enemies. An example being that praetor has a deep meaning as the leading light of the Tyralin religion. In the tyralin language, praetor is an off shoot of the word prae which means time. To have the -or part attached to prae means that the person is Of Time. Through dialogue, if people bothered to ask they would find out that the Tyralins worship a single deity of time and that there are six other gods in the pantheon. Then, queue those awesome future enemies.

Anyways i would really apperciate it of you could change your praetor name into something else
Last edited by Aethus on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aethus
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:08 pm

So this is what I'm reading.

There are three religions. One is the Old Religion whose god is called Vladar and is the MAIN religion.

The second is the New Religion, brought about by the priestess.

The third is the Tyralin religion lead by the praetor (whom I didn't mention in this religious feed) and who had a pantheon of seven gods and goddesses.

So. I guess the only thing that needs to be changed is in the introduction where Eraz said that the king and the praetor (whom we both took as head of the Old Religion) are often butting heads. Is this correct?

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aethus on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:18 pm

No what im asking is for you guys to remove and stop using the word "praetor" because thats the name for the pope of MY religion. Thats it, and, as for why they haven't been routed out by the old religion, THEY DONT TELL PEOPLE TO JOIN. I dont care about what you do with your praetor, just change the damn name.

How did you guys not understand what im saying?

Aethus
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Awesome on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:31 pm

There are more instances where the Old Religion's head is referred to.
Well, from what I gather about this issue, there was a possibly a lack of communication between Ersatz and yourself (nibblesnbits) with religion. Either that or Ersatz didn't notice the two names to be the same so as a result he saw no problem. The way I see it, there are two immediate options:
1. Old Religion gets a new name for the leader.
2. Get rid of the 'future enemies' Aethus had planned to add and Rename the leader of the Exorsists.
If Aethus was a writer or admin, I would say it's more him but in this case it could go either way since Ersatz seems to have liked the idea of these future enemies. Basically, right now the only person that can decide which to do to fix this would be him.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yyyyyeeeaaaaaah right, snake!

Captain Awesome
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Because this entire time we have been talking apples to oranges, Aethus. Not once have I mentioned the word praetor in the above thread and yet you still believe that I am dead set on using that word to describe my religious leader (who I have not mentioned yet). I'm not.

Vladar is NOT the praetor, I never said he was. I said he was the god of the Old Religion, which has NO ties to your religion. I never said that it did in the first place.

Where you are getting the information of us using the word praetor in our religion is not on this OCC thread. It is from the introduction which, unfortunately I cannot change as I am only a CO GM. Only Eraz can change it, otherwise I would in a heartbeat because I do understand where you are coming from.

I understand that there was a miscommunication and will have Eraz fix the introduction as soon as I can contact him (around 5 am).

In the mean time, I suggest you start a new OCC thread where your religion is explained in detail (maybe not a first but as the story continues, that is up to you). That way, if we have questions we can ask you there.

*pats head softly and offers cookie* I'm sorry about the miscommunication between you and Eraz, and from Eraz to me.

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aethus on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:22 am

*facepalm*

WHEN DID I EVER MENTION VLADAR
I SAID LEADER, NOT GOD, LEADER!!!!!
AND WHEN I MEANT LEADER, I MEANT RELIGIOUS LEADER, BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE INTERPRETED THAT AS WELL WHEN I KEPT MENTIONING THE DAMN PRAETOR.

DO YOU READ? WHEN IN THE HELL DO I EVEN WRITE OUT THE NAME VLADAR????!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm seriously getting real pissed off here.
All this time, I'm dealing with you guys constantly misinterpreting what i say and want, with freaking I don't know.

My leader, the praetor of the highest Tyralin order Silian Mer'vi, IS NOT A PART OF THE OLD RELIGION, DOES NOT INTERACT WITH THE HUMAN KINGDOMS, AND DO NOT EVANGELIZE THEIR FAITH TO NON-TYRALINS.

I will reveal the Tyralin religion through dialogue and through natural conversations and not texts because last I damn checked, I SAID NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT IT.

I did not ask for you to change anything in relation to me, I just asked what our relationship was (The relationship between the old religion and the Tyralin Religion), but then you kept pushing this whole idea that somehow I wanted to change something and included something about Vladar and now I just think its best to completely sever this chain. Seriously, fuck it. Remove the whole bit with the word "praetor" and we're golden. Fucking use the Pope title instead. That's all I asked for.

As for why I mentioned it in this OCC forum, um does the title of this forum say ONLY ABOUT VLADAR, IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE or does it say THE OLD RELIGION. LAST I CHECKED, THE OLD RELIGION INCLUDES THE RELIGIOUS LEADER.

Do you even read what you write? You keep writing like you're talking down to some two year old child.
"Daw, you misinterpreted what I said. No, I didn't make any mistakes in my reading at all. Here HAVE A FUCKING COOKIE?!"
YOU EVEN WROTE OUT AND TOLD ME TO HAVE A COOKIE TOO?!

At this rate, I think I'm just gonna leave this RP. I've been talked down to for the past several damn posts and you STILL can't seem to understand what I'm trying to get at. I will not be treated like I'm some idiot while I get battered down with passive aggressive bullshit.

Aethus
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nibblesnbits on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 am

Look. English is not my first language and German is. I find it extremely rude that you have to use language as an insult when clearly, the issue is not me. I read every thing twice. I tried to get a clear direction. I even said that fine! You can have your word. I didn't want to really use it anyways because I didn't understand what it meant.

I am sorry. I said I would fix it as soon as I could. The two religious creations dont mix and your religion is secretive. I understand that but you're going to have to work this out with Eraz. I can't do anything anymore for you, and quite frankly, I'm done tying. Send Eraz a PM.

Second I wasn't trying to talk down to you, only be nice and that's how I do it. Don't like it? Not my problem.

Third, I dont know why you're still posting in here since your religion has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OLD RELIGION according to yourself! So, now that aspect has been cleared up STOP POSTING IN HERE!

nibblesnbits
Member for 13 years

Re: The Argument Box

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Awesome on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:46 am

...I like Nibbles' cookies. ;-;

But back to business: Dude, we aren't talking down to you or anything, we're just trying to make sure everything is neat and tidy. Especially, Nibbles. She(he?)'s being entirely nice about it while I'm the one you should be mad at-if anybody. I will not explain why everything we're saying confirms that:
A. It's not a part of the Old Faith
B. Does not interact with any kingdoms.
C. Doesn't take religious converts.
-because we have done so enough times. Personally, the idea behind your character and their people is incredibly interesting but I think it's obvious where Nibbles and I stand on blatant insults. I strongly suggest one more time that you take it down a notch and have a friendly conversation with us so we can take it to the question section for your character's religion. Nibbles and I both want to be friends with everyone here and we discussed Nobel's character perfectly fine that way without making anything about his character stupid or anything. Okay, Aethus? We cool?

Okay, this used to be the Old Religion thread so I guess I'll ask in here. What is the religious symbol of the Old Religion? Like, how the Jews have the Star of David, Catholics have the crusifix, etc. Did you guys make that yet? I started drawing my guy and realized pretty quick that the symbol is pretty important for a religious warrior for the Old Religion's leader. XP

Captain Awesome
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!