Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Best Mythical Creatures

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

The Best Mythical Creatures

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SunRai on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 pm

So in order to make a post I figured I could make a small debate.
My greatest interest is mythical creatures, but there are so many.
And so I decided to see what is the most likes mythical creature.
In my opinion it is the dragon, but of course, that is only my opinion.
There are vampires, werewolves. lycans, nekos, etc.
What is your favorite?
*Queen-Of-Symmetry*

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SunRai
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: The Best Mythical Creatures

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 pm

A lich, entombed for eons in a cramped dungeon, surrounded by precious magic and
protected/guarded by ancient golems, and long since driven mad by genius and solitude, is nightmare fuel.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:30 pm

I gotta give my love to the liches.
I was formed in the shadows, in the void faster than light. Sheathed in darkness, the world expands, and I feel at home in a mystical place. When I close my eyes, and the void envelops me, I can fly, I can breathe in water and vacuum, I can change my shape and go anywhere I please, anytime I want. No information escapes me, for there was none to fall away in the first place; there is only peace.

Black Hoodie
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

The best mythical creature is God (in the monotheistic, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, and not further defined sense). Obviously.

My favourite may be the pocket-sized fairy, though I have written more about shapeshifting dragons, and the only creature you mentioned that I have played is a neko. But my neko is not mythological at all, just a genetically modified human.

I prefer fairies over dragons because they’re far more subtle.

Wait... I changed my mind. Witches are the best. Or maybe I just really like paintings by JW Waterhouse
I can keep myself sane because I’ve got my candy gun!

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TimeOfTrial on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Personally, I really like Gumiho's (aka Nine tailed foxes) but also other, more common?, ones like vampires (not the kind that sparkle though >.>) and nekos. I also like other weird-ish ones like gremlins and gargoyles. Gracelings are pretty cool and so are... ack there's so many!!!! >_<
Whenever I want to learn about different ones I always go here:
http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/p ... +Creatures
maybe you guys will find it interesting

TimeOfTrial
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby viper45 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:32 am

There's just so many, though my personal favorites are the Tuatha de Danann.
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides

viper45
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:21 pm

viper45 wrote:There's just so many, though my personal favorites are the Tuatha de Danann.

I don't think they count as "creatures" considering that they were the civilized human part of the war against the monster-giant Fomorians. They're pretty much the same as the Aesir or the Olympians, a race of gods who fight their more savage predecessors.

Having actually studied mythology a bit, I feel kind of like a hipster when I say that I like more obscure creatures better. Things like the terrifyingly helpful scorpion-men of Gilgamesh or the six-armed stone men of the Argonautica are pretty appealing after having been exposed to dragons, undead, werewolves, and so on for so long.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Unicorns, plain and simple. I've been a diehard fan of them since I was a kid. I actually get irritated on how their portrayed in literature and in artwork. Like when I see images of the famous unicorn tapestries of the "Hunt of the unicorn", I so badly wish I could have jumped into those pieces and help the unicorn out hehe.

My favorite movies have unicorns in them like Legend and The Last Unicorn. You know the hardest death I took in the Harry Potter franchise was the unicorn death in the first book/movie.

I could really go on and on about them, but I won't hehe.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Twisted Fate on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 am

The Banshee is one of my favorites

In legend, A banshee, or Bean Sidhe, is a fairy from Irish folklore whose scream was an omen of death. Her thin scream is referred to as “caoine,” which translates to “keening.” It is said that a banshee’s cry predicts the death of a member of one of Ireland’s five major families: the O’Grady’s, the O'Neill's, the O'Brien's, the O'Connor's or the Kavanaghs. Over time as families blended, it was said that most Irish families had their own banshee. It is also said that the banshees followed their families as they emigrated from Ireland to other places across the globe, though some stayed behind to grieve at the original family estate.

Twisted Fate
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 am

Hey have your ever seen Darby O'Gill and the Little People? The banshee there I remember scared me as a kid!

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alappassi on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:48 am

I like Yales :)
Sighthounds, writing, and drawing are my passion!

Alappassi
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HorrorPunkOtaku on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 pm

The Cockatrice! Seriously, look this thing up it's got to be the nastiest bird in mythology.

HorrorPunkOtaku
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:03 am

Dragons. We all know dragons, so we all love dragons.
Once more, with rhythm!

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallacywonderland on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Although Dragons are really cool and amazing, I think I still have to go with unicorns... They seem so majestic..... Though maybe if the dragons were tameable/manageable i'd go with those?

fallacywonderland
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TCoS on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Cthulhu.
Is now King of Biscayne on RPNation.

TCoS
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ParanormalBoredom on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 am

I have to take my hat off to C'thulhu, but she's not a mythical creature since I have to visit her for Christmas this year. What kind of son would I be if I didn't?

Anyway...
My favourite MYTHICAL creature is the Griffin. Noble, loyal and a true king of hearts. He might not be able to beat a dragon, but he could inspire every single able-bodied man to do so on his behalf. Also, nobody can tell me that the combination of a baby lion and a eagle chick is not meant to be adorable. Baby Griffins would OWN youtube.

ParanormalBoredom
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:21 am

So many great creatures!

I'm going to have to go with the phoenix. I've been fascinated with the idea of one, and the cycle of rebirth, for as long as I could remember. So much, in fact, that I had it tattooed to me.

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gingitsune on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:40 pm

I like nine tailed foxes best~

Gingitsune
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:58 am

Liches? Dragons? How about a good ol' dracolich?

A dragon that wasn't satisfied with his already immense power and extreme lifetime, so he traded his mortality for eternal undeath and magical power.

Yeah, it's about as cool as it sounds.
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dues Ex on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:04 am

Yeah dragons get the most love...

Dues Ex
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!