The Destiny of us all?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

The Destiny of us all?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Hello...I've made this thread to ask people...."What is your True Purpose in life" or just to ask deep mysterious Questions they have been thinking over for a very long time...I've wondered Many Questions through my life and i would just like to hear the ones that other people have...Be open, be free, be away from life. Open yourself and let everything out. There are no wrong or bad questions here unless they are stupid (Ex. what is 2+2 or what pie is my favorite) or have nothing to do with questions from your heart....Your soul....your very being...Share what you have always wondered..... Get it off your chest....and let enlightenment come to you...

(OOC: i am not Buddha)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arietraekos
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: The Destiny of us all?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:00 pm

There is no such thing as destiny my friend, nor do any of us have a purpose, true or otherwise, in life. We are born, we live, we love, we die. Thats all there is, and that is enough. Notions such as fate and destiny are made up by men to weak to take responsibility for their own actions, or to take control of their own life.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broken Romeo on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 pm

In my honest opinion there is no other purpose in life than to live it and then die shortly afterwards.

With that said, whatever knowledge you may come across or enlightenment that has come your way, I don't think it would really matter as this is just an illusion of purpose that your mind has created.

Unlike other wild animals our shelter is provided for us and our food is easily gained. As times advance we spend less time searching for the necessities of survival and have been given the privilege of free moments to think and tap deeper into the consciousness of free thought and imagination.

A wolf in theory would not wonder why we is alive but merely when will he eat next.

I know that a person is of a different species but my reasoning is still the same. If one does not have shelter then that is what his brain will tell him to seek. Ideas such as questioning existence come afterwards when he has settled down and deemed himself safe from the ravages of nature.

Where others have difficulty finding their answers, I found mine so simply. I live because I am alive and dying now would not bring me the greatest amount of pleasure.
Last edited by Broken Romeo on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Broken Romeo
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 pm

I don't know.

That is all.

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sai aka Raven on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:30 am

I walk my path as I like to in the right way and I don't go wherever the wind blows..

Since we were born, we were given a limit of time, yes limited time because no one is immortal. So spend that time in a worthy way and meaningful way or at least enjoy it. Nothing is free. You spend your time for everything you do even to draw breath. So to be sure that those times that can never recover once lost were spent wisely and that you enjoyed it, is the destiny I guess. Well, this might only apply to me. Just wanted to say what I think.

Pour your emotions into whatever you do... That'll make it worthy for all the time you spent... - Me

Sai aka Raven
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:28 am

I have a lot that contributes to my purpose in life. It is not an answer easily summed up.

My first purpose is to be faithful to God so that I may go to Heaven when I die. That involves obeying Him, attending church, spreading His word, and setting an example for others.

Closely after that, I have made it a very important part of my day to spread a little happiness. I do all I can to make sure those I love are happy, even if it's just giving my mother a phone call, sending a letter to a friend, ironing a few clothes for my fiance's mom, or surprising my fiance with lunch. I also try to spread a little cheer to strangers, by perhaps letting them out in front of me in traffic, helping someone pick up something they dropped, or leaving a huge tip at a restaurant. To me, this world isn't worth living without happiness, and not enough people value the small things in life around them. In valuing them myself, I hope they will, too, and perhaps someone else will learn from them.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sai aka Raven on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:04 am

~claps~ Wow ! very nice said melfina.

Sai aka Raven
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:32 am

Thanks, Raven! I like to think of myself as a river rock. Most of my life, I've just rolled down the river with the current, but at the same time, have become more well rounded as a person instead of just having jagged edges in certain aspects. The jagged edges of the self-esteem part of my rock have been rounded off as I've learned to love who I am. I still have a few bumps here and there where people have failed me and I've lost a little faith in humanity, but those will be buffed out on down the stream. I know I'm still young, only 22, but I've been through a lot. It does no good to dwell on the past, nor to constantly be angry at everyone around you. take everything with a grain of salt and learn not to sweat the small stuff. You have to think, will that really matter tomorrow?

/end ranting philosopher mode

:)

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Ok i'm vey glad that Angel and Raven at least posted what i wanted to hear.....this tread is meant to Tell what your destiny is and to let it out for other peoples ears....it's not meant for saying that Destiny's don't exist...And simply for people who don't believe in destiny's.....i don't want any negative feed back....but here could be an example...

You are at a restaurant....the waiter asks you....Soup or salad....Now there are two choices for destiny to take...

"I'll take soup" said the man....when the Butler brought it out the man started to consume it...
He liked it and he decided to buy a stocks for it(around 30) well the soup ends up becoming famous and with the soups fame comes his fame...He ends up to be a millionaire with a trophy wife and a Million $ house

I'll take salad" Said the Man...The butlar brought it out...he also decided to eat it...When he returned home that night he had intense stomache sickness....he had E.Coli. He ends up being sent to the hospital and dies there....see how Destiny can be?

Arietraekos
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:59 am

See, thats not destiny. Destiny includes no choice, it would mean that is was fated that he would decide on one of the two options. What you speak of there is chance, coincedence, etc... Destiny and fate tell us that everything is predetermined, it means that free will does not exist. I like to think that I am more than a pawn in a predetermined chess game.

Slightly off topic, but, you have zero understanding of economics don't you? That example of the man becoming rich was completely off base. Take econ, its worth while.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:17 am

Destiny may be seen either as a fixed sequence of events that is inevitable and unchangeable, or that individuals choose their own destiny by choosing different paths throughout their life. Destiny is fate, fate is destiny.

Fate implies no choice, and ends fatally, with a death. Fate is an outcome determined by an outside agency acting upon a person or entity; but with destiny the entity is participating in achieving an outcome that is directly related to itself.

While this does not disprove you, Gabriel, it does show that it isn't just what you say it is. Also, this is all self-explanatory, so, if one fails to understand it, then read again. It's through choice that we make our Destinies unfold. Or we stagnate and feel the other. All in all - matter of opinion.

Matthias
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sai aka Raven on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:41 am

I believe destiny and fate exist together. It isn't always "destiny" whenever you have no choice and it isn't always "fate" whenever you get to have a choice...and likewise.

To say what I think, I will again use the man at the restaurant as example. He got to choose 2 options and so he made his choice and he shaped his destiny (like Riikano-Alinaris said). If the restaurant happened to have salad only, he wouldn't get any choice but to take it (unless he chose to go to another restaurant). So in this case, he couldn't shape the destiny but the destiny did and he was meant to be sent to hospital then.

I totally agree with Matthias.

To Melfina;
Oh and by the way, you're such a nice person Melfina, I admire you..

Sai aka Raven
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Massacre on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:09 am

Purpose is what you make it. Purpose can only be determined after accomplishments though, so it doesn't really matter.
Conjunction junction, what's your function?
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. Friedrich Nietzsche

Massacre
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Matthias wrote:
Destiny may be seen either as a fixed sequence of events that is inevitable and unchangeable, or that individuals choose their own destiny by choosing different paths throughout their life. Destiny is fate, fate is destiny.

Fate implies no choice, and ends fatally, with a death. Fate is an outcome determined by an outside agency acting upon a person or entity; but with destiny the entity is participating in achieving an outcome that is directly related to itself.

While this does not disprove you, Gabriel, it does show that it isn't just what you say it is. Also, this is all self-explanatory, so, if one fails to understand it, then read again. It's through choice that we make our Destinies unfold. Or we stagnate and feel the other. All in all - matter of opinion.

But see, if it is destiny, than while their is the illusion of choice, in the end it was always fated that the individual would choose a certain path. Take Destiny from The Sandman Chronicles for instance, he displays this well. It is written in his book everything that will ever happen. Now, while the book may say that the individual debates, and makes a choice, it is also written what that choice will eventually be. Destiny is inevitable, it holds no choices, only the illusion of them.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brad on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:54 pm

To do it for teh lulz.
Dance forever with the devil on a cold cell block
But that's what happens when you rape, murder and sell rock
Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top
There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot

Brad
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:57 am

Aww, thank you Raven. =) Nothing special about me. I have just chosen to take a more optimistic look on life.

Any who, I feel like my posts were off topic now. I thought you were asking what we felt our purposes in life are and now we're debating destiny.

I don't really believe in destiny. The only ultimate destiny I believe in is making it to Heaven or Hell eventually. As for our lives on Earth, I think they are all determined solely by the decisions you make. I don't think your destiny can just keep changing with each decision you make. The definition of Destiny implies that if everyone had a destiny, it would be unavoidable, no matter the choices you make. In the example of the man with the salad and the soup...his destiny would not change no matter which one he picked. If he was destined to die the next day in a hospital, then he still would have even if he ordered the soup. It is "the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events."

But again, I don't believe in destiny. God gave us free will on this Earth to run our own lives, and I believe that is what everyone is doing. It goes against my Christian beliefs to believe in destiny, as we have to determine our own lives and whether we obey God or not to get into Heaven.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!