Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

The Group Home

a topic in Realistic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based on the real world, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

The Group Home

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Okay, so the rules go as follows (I typed this mostly blind, so if I missed some typos, pm me and I'll fix them.):

1. characters must be between 2 and 17. On the 18th birthday, the resident would be kicked out, as being a legal adult. Quirks and weirdness are encouraged, these are the kids who not only don't have a birth family who can care for them, but aren't wanted by foster parents either.

2. children younger than 13 are not allowed to use the kitchen

3. everyone school age goes to school

4. no one younger than 10 may be on a top bunk

5. the woman running the group home is 35, and is controlled by everyone. Her name is Rose, she is white with blonde hair and blue eyes and a stern face. height and weight may vary on perception and age of the character interacting with her.

6. there are four isolation rooms, no more consecutive days than a character's age may be spent there, half a character's age rounded up for those ten and older. What lands a character there depends quite highly on how much of a favorite the character is with the caretaker.

7 lights out for the youngest children is 8:00. Elementary school kids- 9pm, middle school- 10pm, high school- 11pm. They are allowed out of their beds as early as 6am, 7:30 am is the general wake-up call.

The set-up of the home:

There are four large bedrooms with ten bunkbeds in each. There is one smaller room, with four cribs, and a large, dorm-style bathroom. This is the second floor. The third floor is locked, and is the apartment for Rose. The top floor has a large storage space. The ground floor has a kitchen, a dining room with one table which can seat twenty-two, and a large open room. The basement is a library. There is a large yard with grass, some pavement, and a sandbox. Use your imagination for the rest, if you want, there can be a basketball court on part of the pavement. Surrounding the group-home is the city, whose people generally ignore the home.

One last thing, don't worry about character sheets or things like that, if you want one on your own comp, go ahead, but let the others find out in your rp, use lots of description.
Last edited by miyumi on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 pm

Mary Bourne was sitting by the outside wall of the house. She had been all-but-ordered to go outside and play with the other kids by Ms Rose. The five-year-old girl picked up a piece of dead grass and inspected it. Humming randomly to herself, she pushes a strand of very blonde hair out of her face. Her imagination takes over, and her mind wanders.

The blade of grass is a highway, and little people are running all up and down it. The people look like chipmunks, and they can see her and she can see them. They talk in gibberish, and she talks gibberish back to them. Her blue eyes focus easily on the blade when it is a few inches from her nose, and she holds it sideways. The talk happens in her mind for the most part, but occasionally it slips out into real speech. She does not pay attention to the other kids in the yard. It not a school day, so all the kids in the house are there. Her high voice hums a random tune when she's not mumbling to the blade of grass.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Janie and Tanis

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pony13 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Janie Trinity stood by the window sill and watched the breeze sweep through the trees. How she longed to be outside and to be free. Mostly, to be free. Looking over to her brother who sat neatly in his chair, she let the memories wash over her of the times they had spent in this house. This is the only real home her and her twin had ever known. They looked after each other and conforted each other during the days that passed and they were never adopted. It's easy to take home one baby instead of twins she guessed, but none the less, she was glad that they were never separated... though... she'd never admit it.

Tieing back her hair, her eyes narrowed and she spoke to her brother with an almost demanding voice. "So... We going outside or what?"

Tanis looked up from his book and smiled a bit. His sister was considered the protector of the children of the home. She was the toughest and the bravest... though at times can be considered a brute. Her long red hair was always tied up in a pony tail and her shirts were big and baggy for as skinny as she was. Tanis on the other hand was the brains of the twins. His neatly pressed pants and a blue collered shirt tucked into them with a black belt only sorta described the kind of person her was. Tanis was the mouth of the twins too... his sister was very curt with her speech and many a times she sounded like she was on the verge of loosing her temper (again). Tanis took this all in stide as usual and neatly folded his book with the page marker in it's place. Standing up and giving a little stretch, he nodded in agreement and the two walked out the doors and into the yard.

Being some of the oldest kids in the home (just turning 17 a month ago) they spent most of their time walking around and making sure the younger kids were doing alright. Well... Janie did, Tanis mostly just sat under a tree with his book. But today Tanis left the book in the front room and walked the grounds with his sister. Looking over the yard and observing the other children running around, they each laid their eyes on little Mary, playing with a strand of grass and making little gibberish noises. Tanis smiled and began to walk to the young girl when he heard his sister sigh over his shoulder and murmer under her breath. "I don't know what you see in her... she's an idiot..."

Tanis stoped just short of Mary and spoke up so the girl could hear over the sounds of her over active imagination, "Hi'ya Mary, whatcha doin?
"To die would be an awfuly big adventure..."
-Peter Pan

Pony13
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:31 am

Mary looked up at Tanis, one of the few kids who was actually nice to her. Her blue eyes squinted apprehensively until the blur of his face became something recognizable, and a smile lit up her entire self when she saw who it was. Her childish voice had a sing-song quality to it.

Hi Tanis! I'm watching the chippermunks play.

She looks down suddenly with a concerned expression and darts one hand under the strand of grass, then puts the tip of the grass in the middle of her palm. Then she turns back to Tanis.

They should get wings, so they don't hurt themselves when they fall.

She gently places the blade of grass in her palm, giving the creatures more area to run and play.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Don't ya see?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pony13 on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:53 am

Tanis looked over at his sister who was busy rolling her eyes. Giving her the 'Aww... isn't that cute' look he turned back to Mary, "Well, why don't you make them wings... or even little parachutes so if they fall of the grass there, they'll be able to land safely."

Taking a moment to look at the single blade of grass in her hands he can't help but wonder about the amazing imagination the young one had. Tanis really didn't have an imagination and borrowed his active vision from all the book he read. Running his hand thorugh his short neat red hair she smiled his usual charming smile and patted the girl on her head.

"Ok, well, me and my sis are gonna walk around and make sure everyone is ok. If you need anything don't hesitate about getting me or Janie, ok?"

Janie already left Tanis's side as he turned to walk with her. Some of the other children were playing in the sand box and one of them was crying... Tannis could only guess that one of the other kids had thown something or didn't want to give it back and Janie was on the case...

Pony13
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:08 am

A seven year old peered around the corner with intense purple eyes. Her long black hair was braided to keep it out of her way as she made sure of the departure of Tanis. She sneaked around to the greasy, strange kid with the annoying squint, and before the kid could notice, she grabbed the blade of grass and held it too high for the runt to reach.

Mary Mary, ordinary
do you even know
that other girls with raven curls
would like to hear you crow?

Her voice was mean, and she mercilessly threw the blade on the pavement and stomped on it ignoring the cries of Mary. She had tried to be friendly, for the first two days the girl had been there, but she had been ignored, and she was tired of it. She had tried throwing stuff, tried poking her, the girl seemed to not notice Nicola's existence. Well, now she'd notice. She couldn't help but notice, and she'd see what it was like to be ignored.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby student driver on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:07 am

Max was running away from something, as usual.

His hair fell in his face as he made his way outside, away from the chaos he had created, hoping not to get caught. It was almost as if he enjoyed getting into trouble, and to a certain degree, he did. Sure, the punishments pretty much sucked, but the feeling of being able to do what he wanted, when he wanted, it was worth it.

Max was one of the older ones of the group, at just a couple months until he turned 16, and he couldnt wait to get out. So much in fact, that he had run away a few times, but always ended up being caught and forced to come back. He had only been at this particular home for a few months, but he was already tired of it. In the back of his mind he was considering leaving again, but he hadnt yet.

Max say down on the pavement, leaning back on his hands as he watched the various children. He noticed a girl picking on a smaller girl, and his first thought was 'Good joh' Although, then he started to consider. She was just doing it out of spite. Atleast when he did something, he needed or wanted something. Whether that be something material or just something to do.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/ ... annyx3.jpg

student driver
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Julian Strangeways on Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:52 pm

"He, wot ar' ye dooin'?"

On the doorstep stood a boy... or wait... could he be a man... It was truly hard to tell tbh...

In any event. He walked to the two little girls. He was an odd looking fellow to say the least as he stood there on the grass wearing nothing but a pair of white boxers.

"Lass, wot ye stompin' on eh? Yer makin' tis wee lass here cry."

The man looked down to try to discern what was being stomped on. He could see nothing. Oh wait... there was some green on the ground... *stomp* nope it was gone.

"She... *sob* took... *sob* my... *sob* blade... *sob* of... *sob* grass... *lots more sobbing ensues*"

"Aww... now enuff wit' tis cryin' wee lass. Ye really distressin' me!" Looking at Nicola who looked alot less maddened now that she had stopped the stomping. "Ye gave tha' piece a' weed a good stompin'!" He smiled. It was an awful smile... Most would say it was the ugliest smile ever smiled. Yet it was earnest. The girl smiled back.

"Come heer' wee lass." He picked up Mary. Gave her a peck on the cheek. "Le's make some pancakes, and ye lassies can give me a helpin' hands. Oy! Max me boy, fancy Sco'land's mos' famous pancakes?"

The boy thought for a split second before he rushed after. Nicola took his hand and and they walked in.

"Julian, I want syrup on my pancakes." Mary whispered.
"Syrup, it is!" Julian laughed. "But, ye better tell yer Miss Rose te' no' kick me out. Thou' I do have a feelin' I'll be sleepin' in the rain tonight..."

Julian Strangeways
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:21 pm

ooc: Julian, please try to avoid making decisions for other characters. If Max decides to follow, that's his choice.

Mary looked up at the strange fellow as he appeared over Nicola.

Lass, wot ye stompin' on eh? Yer makin' tis wee lass here cry.

Nicola wouldn't get it, so Mary had to speak. If only, if only she could choke the words out.

She... took... the... grass... highway

Between each words she sobbed with great gasps of breath. Nicola had finished stomping, looking at the smudge of green on the pavement that was all that was left, Mary shook.

AND NOW IT'S GONE!

She curled into a ball, sobbing, only to find herself picked up. She cringed a bit, but all he did was peck her on the cheek and hold her. Hearing something about pancakes, her sobs started slacking off a bit. pancakes?

Julian? Can... can I have syrup on mine?

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:27 pm

Nicola glared at the man who took her fun away, until he mentioned pancakes. The last of her anger vanished. Maybe she'd be able to get Mary's attention now? Did Mary just whisper something to him?

Okay Julian. Pancakes sound good. Just make sure Mary doesn't burn anything.

She ran ahead, into the kitchen, and started pulling out what she knew had to go into pancakes, but she didn't know how much of things were needed so she just pulled out the entire box/bag/carton of each thing.

Sugar, flour, eggs, milk, butter, cinnamon. We'll need a mixing bowl, a plate, the measuring cups, the frying pan. Plates, how many? I'll just grab the paper ones.

Soon she had everything out, and she looked to Julian.

What next?

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Julian Strangeways on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:45 pm

In the kitchen Julian puts Mary on the table.

First thing first... yer hands Nicola! And certainly you as well Mary! Second... measurement coops... Don' nee' tha' wher' I com' from! Who tought ye te cook?

Julian looks sternly at Nicola. He shakes his head with his eyes closed. Before he opens one eye to what only, with a child's imagination, could be described as a wink.

Julian takes the measuring cups and throws them in the garbage can. He thinks for second. Aye... Ms Rose wont be pleased wit' her measuring coops ther'. Bu'...

You can't make pancakes wit' measuring coops...or any edible food fer tha' matter.

Julian laughs. He takes the largest bowl he can find.

Tis' one will do... Are ye washin yer little paws now?

OOC: Don' woorry I'm a quick lerner... :D.

Julian Strangeways
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:04 pm

ooc: I see that. thanks! :D

When he sets her down on the table, Mary cringes again, and is confused when he simply tells her to wash her hands. She looks at them for a minute, and sees all the grass stains. She sets her left hand on the counter and waits a second, allowing her friends to get off before crawling to the sink and washing her hands.

Every loud noise this man makes, every sudden move, she winces or cringes. But her reaction gets less all the time as nothing bad seems to happen. Despite his loudness, he vaguely reminds her of her mother when she was in the kitchen. When he throws the measuring cups out, she giggles a little. Mommy never used them either she thinks to herself. Hands washed, she leaves the water on and jumps off of the counter.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:10 pm

Nicola smiles at Julian's wink and washes her hands quickly, but she frowns a bit in confusion when he throws the measuring cups out. Then she notices the water still on.

Hey! What are you trying to do, get us in trouble?

She turns the water off, then looks back at Julian.

If we're not going to use measuring cups, how do we know it's the right amount?

She looks back at the ingredients on the counter, and frowns, violet eyes alive with curiosity and thought. Her mother had always chased her out of the kitchen when cooking, but she always caught sight of what was on the counter first.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Julian Strangeways on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:56 pm

Good gurls! Le' me see dose paws of yers. Don' worry lass, Julian won' say a word te anyone.

Julian grins. With his dirty hands, so dirty a homeless would be appalled, he puts the bowl on his head. And with his index finger he points to the bowl...

Pancakes ar' made wit'...

Julian sticks his tongue out.

... wif dis liffel fello' hee...

Julian sticks his tongue back in and puts the bowl on the table. He looks at all the ingredients... all the bags and boxes with labels with incomprehensible scribblings. He scratches his head. Eye winking. Thinking. He puts his hand in one of the bags and grabs a handful of something unknown.

Time te pu' tis fello' te goo' use..

With eyes closed and tongue barely out. Julian tastes the unknown...

He tis flour... Heer av' a taste!

Julian Strangeways
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Mary's face crinkles in concentration. Her five-year-old mind works very hard to understand what is going on, as she sits in a corner of the kitchen. This person seems like a mad-man, but he doesn't give her the same uneasy feeling her uncle did. Arms hugging her knees, she watches and tries to learn.

ooc: since you're the one directing the cooking, if you want to skip details, you can just say something like "___ minutes later he..."

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pony13 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:10 pm

Tannis looked back at Mary crying and the new girl making fun of her. Her was about to go but then Julian came out of nowhere and scooped them both up and went inside. Tanis looked back over to where his sister stood and he saw her yelling and waving her fists around. much to the fear of the younger kids.
"...and if I catch any of you doing this again, by god you'll feel my feet so far up your..."

Tannis spoke up, "Meldon-sa-fitter-zon. Mellona-tri-oh-zonfin..."

Janie turned arouns and glared at her brother. Sonce they were little both twins spoke another language. Janie dosen't remember because she was beaten alot as a child, but Tannis remembered... They were taught nothing growing up and even came up with a language so they could at least communicate with each other. By the time Child Services rescued them from their home the language had developed from simple words to full and complex sentinces. Janie didn't like using it so Tannis only spoke it when he needed his sisters attention.

"Meldon? For Zuah?"

"Nyet."

The twins took off and walked inside the building. Both split up and it was Janie who saw little marry wrapped up on the table. Her squinted eyes never saw Janie (or.. she didn't pay the girl any mind) and Janie yelled into the halls for her brother.

Moments later Tannis came in and sat on the table next to Mary. With a gentile arm he wrapped himself around the girl and asked if she was ok. Janie, on the other hand, leaned on the wall and glared at the new girl talking to that idiot Julian. She didn't say anything to the new girl... but the fire in her eyes said all she needed to.

Pony13
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Julian Strangeways on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:16 am

Aye, tis' flour indeed. Poor a goo' load o' tha' in the bowl, Nicola! Ello' ther' Janie and Tanis, didn' see ya comin' in!"

Julian looked pensive at the kids. From the older twins to the youngest one, in their eyes he could see a great many things.
They've grown up, all too fast. In some he could see the past was still haunting them like a shadow. Yet the will to live, to survive was there. Wher' did the child in them go...He sighed.
For a split second his mind wandered backwards... Images and sounds flashed before his eyes. He reeled. Focusing. He willed himself back to the kitchen.
He looked at the youngest one, face crinkled. He smiled.

"Wee lass, ye cant make food over ther' there at the corner, up on the table wit' ye! Tannis giv' her a helpin' hand will ye. Janie, lov', fine' me som' sugar, and poor less than a handful in the bowl. Tannis help wee Mary to poor some milk. And don' forge' the salt. I'll try and fine' me a wisp.

Julian opened up all the drawers went through all the shelfs numerous times. Like hurricane, he passed through the kitchen in search for a wisp. Alas. A wisp.
He cracked an egg. Poured the content in the bowl. The egg yolk slid off the mountain of flour and positioned itself on the side. Another egg. And another. Then half a dozen later, they had all positioned them neatly around the great mountain of flour.
Julian looked up, closed his eyes and cocked his head to one side.

Deer Pancake God. Bless tis' batter and us poor souls so tha' we may brek' our cruul fastin'. And deeres' god, don' le' me sleep in the rain tonight. Julian opened his eyes and handed the bowl to Tannis. Tannis, my boy, will ye do us the honor and wisp this batter?

Julian Strangeways
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby student driver on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:10 pm

Max had chosen not to follow, but he had watched the scene that incuded a bit of crying. Before he had come here, he had made more than enough people cry, but they were all his age, and they were usualy crying because they were in an extreme amount of pain. The scene didnt look right to him, but he kept his distance anyway.

After the twins showed up, he started to walk away, ready to cause trouble.

student driver
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Mary watched with wide eyes as Julian directed the other kids. Her blue eyes stared squintingly at Tannis when he asked her if she was okay, and she nodded a bit. Then Julian caught sight of her in the corner, and she struggled out to join the happenings on the table.

Rejecting help from Tannis, Mary took the half-gallon carton of milk knowing she could pour that much without spilling. She poured until the moat around the mountain of flour looked big enough, using the distant memory of her mother as a guide, then stoppered the carton before putting it back in the fridge. She looked at her shoulder, and frowned a bit.

Kilachu? Palin tai ath koli

The words themselves didn't have a meaning, it was her mind that gave the gibberish a meaning. "Why? Because I know how." In her mind, the male chippermunk on her shoulder, Atoni, bowed his head in thought, muttering to himself the words she had spoken.

ooc: Note, the gibberish wouldn't have actually had a spelling to her, I just give it one so you can see what she says.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pixelgami on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:28 am

It was no easy feat growing vegetables the old fashioned way in the middle of the city, but still, Miss Violet managed. As the one of the group home's guardians and its one and only resident cook, Miss Violet wanted to make sure these kids got their nutrients even when the home was low on funds. Really, thought Miss Violet. If there be a fact as bald as the head of my late husband is that the kids have got to eat. Sometimes I just don't know what Miss Rose is doing with that money. As she brushed off the soil from her gloves and packed her gardening tools. Although, she recalled. I suppose the fundings have been cut some since Miss Rose shipped that bunch of kids off. She could still see them whooping with glee as they clambered into the back of another group home's car, a better group home that could actually afford to keep them. At the moment, Miss Rose was most likely in her apartment on the third floor, the omnipresent black ledger opened before her as she scribbled and calculated and weighed the group home's options.

Hoisting the half-filled basket of meager carrots and potatoes, Miss Violet made her way back into the building. It looked like they were going to have stew or casserole--it all depended on what was left in the refridgerator. Since she was a bit stout in the middle, Miss Violet carried the basket a bit higher, which obstructed the lower part of her vision somewhat, but she knew every bump of jutting floorboard of the house to know where she was going. Looking about the yard one last time, she noted that some of the children had already run back inside. The shift from sunlight into the dim hallway of the home dazzled her eyes.

"Oh, I'm getting too old for this," she muttered to herself.

Something brushed past her to avoid her bulky, unbalanced form, and she twisted her head around only to catch a flash of a mischievious grin and the shock of black hair that was unmistakably Max. She shifted the basket onto one arm to get a good look at the kid and reprimand him for anything she could remember him doing, anything she thought he was doing, and anything he was planning to do, but a clatter of dishes made her turn heel toward the kitchen, just down the hallway.

Along with the tinny strike of silverware and bowls, Miss Violet, though with hearing dulled by age, also heard snippets of children's voices, and as far as she was concerned, with a responsibility to be strict but fair, the owners of those voices were too young to be allowed in the kitchen. Only children 13 years of age and up, she recalled. As she stealthily, or at least, as stealthily as she could with her fleshy bulk and her bushel of garden produce in hand, approached the rectangle of light that wavered with the shadows of the kitchen's invaders, she was surprised to hear a deeper tone that belonged to someone older than she expected.

"Will ye do us the honor and wisp this batter?"

Oooh! she mused, surprised to hear an older boy's voice. Once I catch one of the older kids letting the lil' 'uns playin' 'round the stove, I'mma sendin' them straight to Miss Rose for a whuppin'.

"Kilachu? Palin tai ath koli--."

Like a fat cat crouched and ready to pounce, Miss Violet jumped through the doorway, but since she was no woman of light-stepping youth she, to be accurate, stumbled through.

"Children!" she barked, ready to reprimand them for wasting good food on cooking experiments. "If Miss Rose be findin' you--."

Then she dropped her basket of garden produce when she caught sight of a strange male who was clad only in white boxers. The carrots and potatoes rolled about the floor, but she took no notice. Her beady brown eyes were focused on the eccentric-looking boy. Or man. It didn't matter. "YOU! You're not a resident, for sure! Get 'way from the girl!" She reached for a nearby frying pan. "Shoo! Shoo! Take the bowls and whatever you want and just get out, but stay 'way from the children!" She lifted the frying pan over her head ominously. "I'm warnin' you!"

OOC: Hi, I don't know if this is still going on, but if it's okay, I could play Miss Rose and the other group home staff.

pixelgami
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.