Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory »

Players Wanted: Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) »

The Hunger Games: Cinematic Adaption

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

The Hunger Games: Cinematic Adaption

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 am

Alright, alright. This has been dying to be made into a thread. At least, in my mind.

What did you guys think of the Hunger Games movie? Was it any good? Did it stay true to the source material? Do you guys see a franchise coming from this that could topple Harry Potter? Personally, I thought it a very sound marketing strategy that they had this film in the works for so long. They didn't come outright and start advertising until after the Harry Potter series had finished, which was beyond wise.

I will admit, I haven't read the series, but I know enough people who have. Their general reactions to the film have been that it was good, but a few got motion sickness headaches from all the jostling on the screen. Shaky cam. That sort of thing.

I'm more interested in the film from the way that it was advertised. It's a curious phenomenon to watch a fan base of a book series rally around the film in that way.

So! Just interested to hear what you all think.

-VV

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: The Hunger Games: Cinematic Adaption

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Killzone208 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:58 am

I loved it! I like the book better though. The book was a different perspective in my opinion, and it left out some key elements. For example, Haymitch getting drunk and falling off the stage. But, it wasn't a problem.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Killzone208
Member for 9 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jabberjay13 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I am extremely picky when it comes to Books being turned into Movies. It's terrible I will admit it.

I enjoyed the movie, minus that horrible shaky camera thing that gave me a killer headache. I had some minor issues, like the Mockingjay Pin - But that is probably my picky-ness speaking, and honestly it does give it a more personal feeling, coming from the sister instead of the Mayors Daughter. I enjoyed the casting. Katniss, Peeta, Rue. I loved them all, I was a little unsure about Cinna, mostly because I had a completely different image for him inside my head. But all in all, I ended up enjoying him as well.

Some parts felt a bit rushed, or not given enough background. Like the Star-crossed lovers bit in the movie, it felt a little thrown in there last minute almost. I went with a friend who hasn't read the books, and he mentioned that is was a little confusing in some parts, and some characters didn't really seem to matter. I think a little bit more back-story and explaining more of the world would have made it a lot better. As well as improving the fighting scenes. I did really like how they showed how the Capital people reacted to the games, the scene with the dad giving his kids toy swords, and then they chase each other pretending to attack each other. Loved it.

I did really enjoy the movie though, and will probably buy it when it comes out.

Jabberjay13
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I found the movie was 'good' but nothing about it was special.

As someone who had not read the Hunger Games but was fully ready to accept the premise, I was satisfied by the movies efforts, but nothing about it particularly made me go 'Ohmygodsogood', mostly because the movie is very clearly aimed at teenagers. The non-dramatic deaths didn't have the shock value they felt like they were meant to. The two parts that stood out the most to me were before the start of the Hunger Games (where the poor girl is utterly panicked, because that was some good acting) and when the riot happened, because I love a good riot.

I wanted to see more to do with Kano, tbh. Right at the end where he monologues it sounds like he had more depth to him than 'I'm ultra badass final boss-type character'. I was not surprised by a single twist in the movie. I saw it all coming. And maybe that's the problem. Nothing about the movie wowed me.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shané on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 am

I adored the movie. I agree with Jabberjay, that a few points were left out, however I think this is an issue with every movie that is based on a book. The reason it is like this is the book is taken from Katniss's point of view, and you can here her thought process. In a movie, it simply isn't possible to clearly show everythought, even with brilliant acting (Jennifer Lawrence!).
For me, I think knowing the book, gave the movie deeper meaning. I could fill in the thought process from memory of the book.
I was also very pleased with how they controled the violence. I don't watch MA films, and was a little concerned that Holywood would make a teenage book into a very adult movie.
Overall a brilliant job, now my favourite movie. Not for the film, but for the meaning between both movie and book combined.
Shané

Shané
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xMrDrPepperx on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 am

I never read the books before seeing the movie but I loved the movie. All of my friends encouraged me to read the books too so now I have my own copy and I'm quite enjoying the book as well. I can see where there are differences but the movie was quite entertaining and it just made me want to read the books that much more.

xMrDrPepperx
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adantas on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:35 pm

I really liked the film! Thought it was pretty accurate in relation to the book. But my only criticism is the camera movement. It was so frustrating. I coulnd't concerntrate on the fight scenes and it just made me dizzy. Also I thought the relationship between Peeta and Katniss wasn't able to be fully delved into as I would have liked. But overall it was a pretty good movie if you were to separate it from the book series.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Adantas
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ghost_x1000 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 am

Isn't it funny? I get on after such a long time and the first thing I do is become the lone voice of dissension.

Warning... I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to write yet, but it may or may not contain spoilers for the books and/or movie. I'll try to point them out, but if I forget... you have been warned.

That is to say... I, unlike everyone here, didn't like the movie all that much. I enjoyed the books, but the movie is, in my own opinion, a horrible travesty that (while technically staying true to the letter) totally destroyed the spirit of the books.

The books, or at least what I got out of them, were all about the travesty of power gone mad. The war has been won for ages... why do you need to slaughter the kids year after year? In the movies, you're kinda give a nebulous "to remind you of the past". Okay, they used that excuse in the books too, though no one buys it. In the books, however, it's pretty clearly implied (read: beat you over the head with it) that the slaughtering of children is done purely for the entertainment of the crowds.

You see bits and pieces of that feel in the movie, but they're so disjointed that unless you read the books, it is easy to overlook it in the glamor and glitz of the big screen images being thrown at you. Where as the book may have made a big deal about the abundance of luxuries or the overwhelming horror of the situation, the movies are... streamlined, I guess would be the best word, down to the one point of "Katniss needs to get through this."

I understand. It's a film, not a book. There are more limitations as to what you can do without boring your viewers to death. That being said, it seems like in their hurry to "Hollywood-ize" the book, they've taken out several of what I consider to be key points.

Spoiler Alert
The mockingjay pin, for one, seems to have been thrown to the wayside for convenience. Back reading the book, I read the part with Madge and got the feeling of: "you're going out there for all of us, Katniss." In the movie, it's turned more into a "I gotta do this to get back to my family."

The violence, also, seems to have met its demise in true Hollywood style. This I can kinda understand. Nobody wants to be the person to say "I really enjoyed that one movie where they were graphically killing children onscreen." That being said, it also takes away from the point of the books. Yes, the children being killed is horrific... it's supposed to be. The whole thing isn't supposed to be a great feel-good action story about people fighting. It is supposed to chill you with how horrific and brutally barbaric the world these characters live in is.

The world is supposed to shock you with the disparity between those who live in the capitol and those who live in the districts. Maybe it's just me, but when I read the book I got the feeling of the capitol being populated with massive amounts of immature man-childs, having their every needs provided "at the push of a button", as the book says. They vaguely see the suffering of the districts, but having never had to face important life decisions, their sense of morality is so atrophied that they don't see anything wrong with watching innocent children, torn away from their homes and families, forced to fight to the death. They seem to care more about whether a child looks pretty than whether or not they deserve to live. To them, life is nothing more than an enormous game, and those in the districts little more than mere pawns. That just seems to be, for the most part, missing in the movies.
End Spoilers

Before I go on, just as a side note, I've heard a lot of people try to tie the books into a argument about income disparity. (Which it isn't, but that's a completely different story for a different time.) I see it more as a parable about the dangers of big government. The more power you give the politicians to control or manipulate the lives of those who hold it up, the less they care about said holders... but that's just me.

Now let me step off the soap box and talk about the movie itself. For the most part, it's a decent movie, one that I'd at least go see in theaters once (if I hadn't already). That being said, it seems to suffer from having so much cut that it almost (but not quite) loses it's underlying thread of... umph. To put it simply: I can definitely see Katniss doing what she did in the end in the book. The whole thing's pretty much built up for that. Again, maybe it's just me, but in the movie... I can't really see her doing that. She's just built up too much as an "I'll do whatever it takes to win" type of girl... albeit with a soft spot for little kids. What little character development she has that leans her the other way comes too little, too late.

All that to say this: If you haven't seen the movie, go see it... once. After that, read the books. They're much better.

Ghost_x1000
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!