Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Liminal Academy

The Liminal Academy: Teachers! :D

a part of “The Liminal Academy”, a fictional universe by Morgan_R.

The Liminal Academy has three doors: one on the floating sky-island of Aeolia, one in Shadowtown beneath, and one that does not open under any circumstance. For those who can pay the price, it is the greatest academy of magic in the Known World.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Liminal Academy”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Liminal Academy: Teachers! :D

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Okay, I'm expecting I may have to make an NPC teacher or two, so if those with pending teacher apps could let me know what you're planning to teach, I'd appreciate it!

Also, you'll all have your own classrooms, which can double as -- or attach to -- your personal workshops/libraries/what-have-you. Let me know if you want a space in the Academy proper, or if you have a separate space which the Academy has a door leading into. Luthien would prefer the former, but the latter could have been negotiated in some cases.

Also let me know whether your teacher is living in the Academy or not.

Thanks! :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The Liminal Academy: Teachers! :D

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Hm, I was thinking if Tristan, the Necromancy and Vitaemancy teacher, could live somewhere nearby the infirmary and the cemetery. That, or he could traverse between two classrooms...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:35 pm

No cemetery at the Academy. Everything's contained in one oversized castle-ish building. There are no grounds per se, as the two identical facades are located in fairly built-up areas of Shadowtown and Aeolia. I'll have to work out what's in the surrounding areas. If you really must have a cemetery, I suppose that can be arranged. In Shadowtown. The Aeolians aren't likely to let riffraff from the Academy into their cemetary. XD

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mondieu on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Mortimer would live near a chemist or a mine, or a place where fancy stones and/or abnormal chemicals can be found.

In his class, his students would learn (or he would at least try to teach them) how to make potions of varying effects, alchemy, the changing and building of materials, and let them keep finished projects as base models when hoping to impress the enchantments teacher with what they've learned over their practices. (I.E. Try enchanting this Iron Ore you just made, as opposed to accidentally killing someone when you try out something for the first time on a weapon) Of course, the end-of-the-year project would be making a gold ingot with their names carved into it, and/or brewing a powerful health or destruction potion. If it's not too much, I'd also assume he'd teach cool chemical reactions to the students.
So this is how signatures work? Hmm... What should I put here?

Mondieu
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Morgan_R wrote:No cemetery at the Academy. Everything's contained in one oversized castle-ish building. There are no grounds per se, as the two identical facades are located in fairly built-up areas of Shadowtown and Aeolia. I'll have to work out what's in the surrounding areas. If you really must have a cemetery, I suppose that can be arranged. In Shadowtown. The Aeolians aren't likely to let riffraff from the Academy into their cemetary. XD

That might work, but talk about the commuting time for experiments XD

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Vedrisca wrote:That might work, but talk about the commuting time for experiments XD

The Academy is 'in' Shadowtown, for most intents and purposes. The cemetery can be right next door if you want. Though really, I doubt they're going to take kindly to your 'experimenting' on their dead... can't you have the fantasy equivalent of lab rats or something? XD

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Mondieu wrote:Mortimer would live near a chemist or a mine, or a place where fancy stones and/or abnormal chemicals can be found.

If you want to be near a mine, you'd probably have to live outside of the Aeolia/Shadowtown area. In that case, the Academy would have a door to your workshop/classroom, wherever it happened to be. :)

And your plans for teaching sound good! After the first week, I'll probably start incorporating timeskips so we can actually hope to get to finals. ;)

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:08 pm

B-b-but he needs something with a soul!

Wait...I think I got it!

Students will sign a contract...oh-ho-ho-ho...

And of course, if there are any physical damages, Tristan can repair them to their former state. But students will have to pay the fee by an extended servitude time or a hefty fee. >:D
Last edited by Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Vedrisca, I love it. Might want to edit your post to avoid spoiling the surprise, though. ;)

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Name : Katherine Clarice

Appearance : A blonde-haired, blue eyed woman who, for her valkyrie-like looks, doesn't seem to be a mage. She stands at a smaller 5'2, and for her weight...don't ask. Her forearms and calves are almost void of all fat, implying she must have fought mostly with weapons...

Personality : Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned, they said. If so, then Katherine must be hell on earth. She always seems to be irritated at something, though she won't say what, and she doesn't seem to budge away from her usual harsh mannerisms. The closest a student can get to her is by earning her respect in combat.

Rumors : Some say she made a contract with a demon. Others say she is the child of a particularly powerful demon and a human, a hybrid. Still others are convinced she's a fiery valkyrie from the heavens, sent to train the masses how to defend themselves from evil.

Classes :

Self-Defense - A combat class for all students to take. This covers basic hand-to-hand combat, some defensive spells, and a few basic offensive spells.

Enchantments and Enhancements - The study of enhancing and enchanting items and people.
Last edited by Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:18 pm

I like her. I'd drop the 101, though, classes aren't numbered here. And... items? It just seems like an odd choice for an unarmed combat instructor...

Also, teachers, let me know if you have a strong opinion on whether your class(es) should be mandatory or optional. I'm thinking Self-Defense is mandatory, while Necromancy, Natural Forces, Combat, and Healing are all optional. On the fence about Potions, and I still don't know what Null and Aman want to teach. We're getting close to a full roster here, though! :)

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mondieu on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Potions should be recquired, as the skill is a rather useful one, if not potentially life-saving. And if we are to prepare them for the wild, wild world out there, I'm sure Luthien would want any student to be able to put together a quick healing concoction of any sort. And because Alchemy, as the manipulation of materials, ties into enchantment, combat, and craftsmanship, it would be considered a highly encouraged side-class, if not simply placed into the same hour as potions for its importance and aid.

Mondieu
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Mondieu: As long as you realize you're volunteering to teach all dozen or so student characters at once, I'm fine with Potions being a required class. ;)

And again, it's up to you what you want to teach. I'd probably combine them, but if you think you have enough material to separate them, go for it.

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mondieu on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:35 pm

The element encyclopedia of signs and symbols has given me quite enough to do with alchemy, but I don't think I have much more to go with potions at the moment, other than a *SPOILER SPOILER*. So I'm going to make them the same class, if that'd be alright. They really do go hand in hand, with Alchemy effectively grabbing ingredients out of otherwise useless, or not-quite-as-useful-at-the-moment materials, and then potionmaking being a somewhat finished product which may or may not be as awesome as the alchemy itself.

Mondieu
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Alchemical Potions it is. :)

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LexiTheMidnightWolf on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:53 pm

I think healing should be a required class. Milhera would believe that everyone should have at least some healing experience, in case a doctor or experienced mage isn't there to help. To compensate for this we could have a basic class for people who don't necessarily want to specialize in healing but need to know a little, then we can have an advanced class for more complex healing spells.
This would also help me so I wouldn't have to control a dozen people at once

LexiTheMidnightWolf
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Lexi, I don't think we're supposed to control the students, just kinda nudge 'em XD

Maybe I can take over that role as Katherine?

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LexiTheMidnightWolf on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I don't think that would be controlling. Besides, Katherine is already teaching two types of classes, plus you have Tristan. I don't want you overwhelming yourself haha

LexiTheMidnightWolf
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Nah, maybe healing is part of the self-defense curriculum...

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LexiTheMidnightWolf on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:06 pm

If you want to take it on then okay :) I'm not going to fight you for it because it wasn't even my main class

LexiTheMidnightWolf
Member for 11 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!