Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution »

The Michael Vick case.

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

The Michael Vick case.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Well, we've all heard something about it I'm sure. Famous football player busted for dog fighting and things that go along with it. Anyways, tonight on the National Geographic channel at 9 they're giving a show called Dogtown. Basically it's about the dogs he's abused getting rehabilitation. Now aside from informing you all about the show I was wondering how ya'll felt about putting fight dogs down. Personally I think it's wrong and cruel to take away their second chance. I also want to know your thoughts on forcing animals to fight. I heard a quote from Whoopy Goldberg saying If chicken fights is legal in Puerto Rico then why not dog fights over here?

Ugh...
Bai Bai bby

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mid
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: The Michael Vick case.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:26 pm

I don't like the idea of animals being forced to fight. I mean, not domesticated pets at the very least. If they have to do it, it should be with something like chickens. I prefer humans, because at least they do it by choice, and are responsible for their own actions.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LaurenAFI on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't think dogs should be forced to fight. I know that they are animals and all but they have more advanced minds and can sense danger and stuff than other animals which I would rather people have fight, but none at all would be best. Its okay in nature when animals fight but not forced. I think its strange how people get enjoyment out of forcing animals to rip eachother to pieces.

LaurenAFI
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am

I think its strange how people get enjoyment out of forcing animals to rip eachother to pieces.

I think it's strange we, as people, do the same thing. To ourselves.

As far as the topic of dogs; I like it. It's interesting, to say the least. Never watched one, but I'd like to see at least one dog-throw-down.

Matthias
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AliceInWonderland on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 am

Matthias wrote:
I think its strange how people get enjoyment out of forcing animals to rip eachother to pieces.

I think it's strange we, as people, do the same thing. To ourselves.

As far as the topic of dogs; I like it. It's interesting, to say the least. Never watched one, but I'd like to see at least one dog-throw-down.

Dogs who participate in fights are often found to be unsuitable for life amongst other humans mostly because to get a dog to fight the way Vick's dog you have to physically abuse it. Imagine if one of these dogs got lose as many dogs have? I've been chased by a pitbull, luckily for me the owner was outside washing his truck. Could you imagine if I had been slower even worse young enough that I was naive to believe that the dog wouldn't harm me? I know of people who have had their dogs shot in the head after dog fights whether lost or won not to mention dogs often die in the actual fight.

I agree that nothing should be forced to fight even though fights between dogs often happen naturally. Dogs that are forced to fight pose a danger to any moving animal if not rehabilitated to think another way besides survival mode.

People have the power of reason. Dogs are born with a certain temperament then are trained to act and react a certain way whether it goes against their instincts or not. So to compare a fight between humans to a forced dog fight is an overly biased and under thought statement.
(21:15:34) Twilight_Maiya: Alice: I wanna be ya bottom chick o_o demote Saken

AliceInWonderland
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 am

Yes, yes. I know this. Wish you wouldn't try to lecture. =(

Dogs are born with a certain temperament then are trained to act and react a certain way whether it goes against their instincts or not. So to compare a fight between humans to a forced dog fight is an overly biased and under thought statement.

I could replace "Dogs" with "People" and still get more of an understanding and relationship between them. While my thought may or may not be biased, its all the same. Perhaps we need to think further back in time than this generation; or particularly think of this generation. Both support the claim. I shouldn't have to type my "biased reasoning", you should think a bit harder on how I could compare the two, and then you might see. Then again, you might not. That's the wonderful thing about opinions. =]

Matthias
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:11 am

I don't agree with any type of animal fighting any other type of animal in a non-natural setting. What I mean by that is the fact that I don't agree with animals fighting at all unless it is on their own in the wild. Dog fighting, cock fighting, whatever. It's sick for people to force animals to fight. Nothing good comes of it whatsoever. I don't care if it's legal in other countries, I want nothing to do with it here. If someone wants to make chickens or dogs fight, they can move out of the US and go somewhere where it is allowed. We don't need trash like that here.

As for putting them down...as someone already said, MOST dogs who have been abused due to dog fighting will never be able to interact on a friendly basis with humans. When all they know is fighting, they post a danger to society. As much as I hate to say it, I think putting them down is safer for everyone. I'd rather put a dangerous dog down than to risk the dog hurting someone.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 15 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!