Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

The T1-ness

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

The T1-ness

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby digit_masperia on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:29 pm

Because my boredom is getting the best of me, and it seems you all go by this "Turn Based" Thing, i decided to either take someone in T1, or try to teach some people the ancient Yahoo! style of turn based fighting known as T1...really, I realize it's almost nothing like the turn based thing you guys use...>_>;; Either that or I was taught wrong.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

digit_masperia
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloud·Strife on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:40 pm

Seems you haven't quite got the best explination of Turnbased. It's relatively the same thing as T1, except they base it here on the forum instead of a chat. Gives writers more time to establish a decent counter or dodge for whatever attack was issued.

You get the idea, no need for me to explain all this shit. But, if ya' need help, talk to Eric. He's more into the shit than I am.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Cloud·Strife
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 pm

We've abandoned "styles" in favor of more free-form methods.

Instead of T1, Para, etc.. it's all Turnbased.

Instead of TRBS, RCM, Freestyle... it's all speed.

And all combat is based individually between the RPers. They set their own rules.

Most information about fighting in roleplay is posted, to give some general rules to base things on, but they're clear and concise enough to just use those.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote:If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby digit_masperia on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:20 pm

*Sighs* I guess I'll just do the turn-based thing. The only problem I had was all the grab-lock-hold- etc type things. A lot of detail, but I could get the hold of it. Still, if anyone wants a T1, i'm up for it, and please, spar...I hate losing characters before they develop.

digit_masperia
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:46 pm

Feel free to adjust those rules to suit your needs, or suggest changes?

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby digit_masperia on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Nah, the rules are fine, great dandy. Probably better than the usual T1 (More strategy, and more of a challenge) you come up with it by yourself or what?

digit_masperia
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Plague on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:01 am

I came from AOL chat rooms a LONG TIME AGO...like once upon a time stuff, then I was given a chance to do some forum based post by post battles, alot of people call these Sim Battles. These are actually quite fun, and they do involve a bit more concise thinking. I'm used to the Orthodoxed style of sim battles...Basically:

Ortho battles: In these battles, the role players agree that no attack will auto connect, instead it is up to the next poster's post to allow the attack to connect or diverged or countered or whatever they best see fit. This is a great way to sharpen your imagination, get strategic and to plan ahead. Keeping ahead of your opponet is a good way of winning a battle. If you can think out their moves, you can get the best of them. However, it is also safe to say, that you should be respectful of the other player. Always blocking, dodging attacks is a good way to make the battle boring. I myself like to have my character's sustain alot of pain in battle. It gives them an edge to fight harder, and gives them more personality. However, if your a smart fighter...you could block every attack and still get away with being respectful. I like to call this "cause and effect" battling. Every action has a reaction.

The other style...

Unorthodoxed Battles: These might be more up your alley if your into the T1 battling. Here, the role players agree that auto connection is allowed. However, killing an opponet too early could be bad karma. This style allows you to be a bit more imaginative, and creative with your attacks as you are also allowed to control your opponet for the given time, which can add to a whole chain of attacks. The reason I dislike this style is because of what I just stated, there is not that much strategy issued within in this style, and I do not like to have my character controlled by someone else. I create characters soley so I can control them, and I dislike auto connection because it seems a little boring to me.

Now there is also a hyrbid of the two put together. Where both aspects of the styles are put together, and this could be a disasterous mix, or it could be simply ingenious.

That basically by history of battles. Been doing the forum thing for a good 4 years now. I am a writter before I am fighter, and I like creating new ideas which is why I battle, to better my writting style. I hope that helped a little. Then again, this could be useless information you will never use yourself.

Plague
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:07 am

Hey Plague that orthadox stuff is an underline of the tb and speed styles which is usually determined by the fighters or (if rp fight) the creater of the rp

Midnight
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:12 am

I'm familiar with the terms orthodox and unorthodox, they're very insightful.

Generally, I've referred to orthodox combat as "open" hit claims, with hit claims being what you call "autos". The main reason for this is that autos are something different in my generic style. Consequently, closed is also known as unorthodox.

It's all the same stuff, we just call it different names. As long as two opponents can come to a mutual understanding and hold a certain amount of respect for each other - everyone has fun.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:34 am

But with me frankly I don't care you don't have to say it hit if the physics are right but most times I have a block waiting expecially with the power of my most resent charater.

Midnight
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Plague on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:20 am

Even if the physics are right...they could be...well, wrong. In fantasy, physics is not even a determinable idea. Physics in fantasy should not even coincide eachother...Such as, someone throwing a punch directly at your face, in perfect hit range...The other character could use a 'trick' and 'vanish' before your eyes. Tell me, does physics state anything about vanishing characters, or characters appearing out of no where to make the hit come in contact? Logic can not always be used in battle, there is an infinite world of ideas that can be used against logic that physics dont state. Lets take for example a character who is very flexible, the point to where they can bend completly backwards withouth breaking their spine...

This said character reflects a punch by bending his back completly dodging the blow, according to physics...if your punch is quite forceful, you should lean forward when throwing the punch thus causing you to fall forward because of the forward momentum. This slinky character can perform a counter by bending compltly backwards, escaping the punch and then as you moving forward can kick you in the groin, lifting his legs upwards and then making a backflip kicking you away.

Physics and Logistics are very bad for fantasy...try not to use it in battles, it wont get you anywhere, because most of our characters are Fantastical...meaning made of fantasy, spells...and sword abilities and flexibility. All ideas must be considered when fighting your opponet. Wether they be real, fantastic, logic or physics.

Plague
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.