Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Ocean Sky's Crew *Discussion*

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

The Ocean Sky's Crew *Discussion*

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Hey there all. So as of now, I won't be starting this RP, due to me not having full-time access to a computer. BUT, I wanted to get this out there, and discuss this RP and concept with any potential players. This is the molding time for this RP, because if there's gonna be any "User input" stuff in the game, it'll need to be heard here. Anyways, feel free to ask questions, give ideas, tell me what you think, etc., here.

Anyways, onto the game concept and idea.

This game is set in the relatively near future, only about a hundred and fifty or so years in the future. The tech level is more advanced than present day, obviously, but alot of things aren't that different. Ever seen Cowboy Bebop? Think of the tech level being along those lines. We have space ships, hover cars, and really cool looking microwaves :P. There's no laser weapons or things like that, except MAYBE in the military.. Since those bastards get governmeant funding :).

There will be other solar systems in the game, though I haven't really planned any of those out. Earth is basically a crowded, smoggy and crappy ghetto of a planet, Mars has large dome colonies on it, and most of the other planets in our galaxy have atleast a couple of large space stations floating around them.

Space travel can be quite long, since there are no 'hyper' drives, and unlike in CB or other shows/books, we don't have warp gates or worm holes inside of solar systems. There will be however, warp gates from one system to another, because it'd take hundreds of years to travel from System A to System B, just on your ship's engines alone.

Now, as for the story itself. As of right now, all players will be part of a mercenary band/bounty hunters, based out of a ship called The Ocean Sky. This game will NOT be solely about the action of fighting and bagging bounties, it'll be about the crew's social interaction, the day-to-day lives of us. Characters can come from nearly ANY backround, whether it be good bad or ugly. And characters can be of any age too, though I'd like to see no one under the age of 14-16, and unless you're a bad to the bone sob, you're character will be tired of a bounty hunter's life by age 40 or so :P. Anyways, I'm thinking the crew would be atleast four, more like five to eight though. And the WHOLE crew has been around for six to eight months or so atleast, meaning that ALL of our characters have been on the ship and in the same group for atleast that long. My character owns the ship, so he'll have been around since the beginning, and everyone else can say how long they'll wanted to have been in the crew. I'd like to maybe have character's stories tie into one anothers, i.e., if we have someone who's only sixteen on the ship, maybe in the character's story it'd say something like one day they stowed away on my ship, and when I found them, they just kinda clicked into the ship and crew, and it became there home. Or if your character has been a member for a while, even a little while, maybe some kind of big event between character A and character B can be mentioned in both histories.

Alright, well that's all I can really think of right now, any feedback, questions, ideas, interest, donuts, WHATEVER, would be appreciated :). Thanks everyone, and I hope that there'll be alot of interest in this game, because it'd be alot of fun I think. Have a good one, peace.
It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to achieve anything. -My attitude on life-

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Axle
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: The Ocean Sky's Crew *Discussion*

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fullmetal Ky on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:13 am

I really like this idea and when it comes to fruition, expect to see me manning the ship. *salutes*

Might be an idea to plan a route through some interesting locations, like "In system xyz the crew will encounter a planet that's made of metal and turns out to be a man made planet made for gathering intergallactic space dust."

But I'm sure you knew that already. Just wanted to have some input!

Also, I'd check PlanetES for inspiration. That show is very much like what you're suggesting, only substitute bounty hunters for debris collectors! However that's all about the crew's interactions, and was in actuality a cracking anime. Might be tough to find these days, but if you drop me a PM I might be able to find a way to show you.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fullmetal Ky
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Indeed, there will be some planned events for the game, and I"m hoping to come up with a list of various random encounter type scenarios, which can be thrown into the game when it hits dead spots. I've still got to come up with some concrete ideas for a long term story arc, but that in itself could come directly from the various characters! Indeed, this game is intended to get alot from it's players, with characters shaping the story the name of the game. To anyone out there who's interested in this game, and has some half baked ideas for what they want their character to be like, a few things to consider when it comes to your character:
What is their profession/career? Do they have one, have they had any training in any kind of field? How would that apply to them being in an adventurous life style?
Do they have any irregularities? Are they psychotic, or depressed, or something of the like?
What makes them, THEM? How would they act in day to day life, stuck on a ship in transport surrounded by people with potentially extremely differing personalities?
Put alot of thought into their past! You don't need to divulge the details right off the bat, but get a concrete idea of what's happened in your character's past. Did they have a person they loved dearly, and wanted to spend their life with, but then they were killed? Do they owe any organization money, whether that organization's legal or not? Were they involved in a gang or mafia? In short, how could your past affect the gameplay today?

Alright, well I'm off to work but to anyone interested, keep these things in mind and post any input or ideas you have! Later all!

Axle
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Guttierrez on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:15 am

Sounds like a very interesting game and would like to be involved in the creation. I believe this Rp could turn out very good and personally would be glad to play it. As for other things I shall be able to help you out with things such as planets, Professions, Technology ect. Also if you needed any help with the management of the game I could help with that, things such as rules and other management type areas. As for ideas right now, you could have people have a crime syndicate on planets, maybe a owners of planets, a few blockades to the planets (A blockade is like a fight or a negotiation to take control over a planet or an island or other things.), I could also list a few professions:

Doctor (could be for the crew aswell as a planet)
Crime Lord (A boss of a major crime syndicate, preferably only on one planet per person)
Cook (pretty much only for the crew)
Bounty Hunter (This will be part of the crew, or for a Crime lord)
Navigator (This will be part of the crew)
Mercenary (this will be part of the crew, or for a Crime Lord)

I will list more when further progress is made on the Rp, so if you would like any help with it Axle just PM me.

Guttierrez
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:37 pm

You have splendid ideas Gutti, and I'll gladly listen to your input along with anyone elses :). Just so we're clear, all characters coming into this game will be part of the crew on my character's ship. We're a rag tag band of self-employed cargo haulers, couriers, bounty hunters, dog walkers... WHATEVER we have to do to get our money :P. But what I mean is that, we take contracts from anyone, doing whatever needs to be done. Whether that's a mission from the military that's been outsourced to private parties like ourselves, or from a Syndicate boss that needs someone found, captured, and brought to them, dead or alive. Professions will mostly be up to the players to decide. And as for spots in the crew, well there's no real 'crew slots.' I.e., we don't have a need for someone to specifically be the cook, and someone be the navigator, etc. Whatever your character can do, they can do it. Hell if all of our characters are lousy cooks, well, they'll be eating lots of instant ramen and the like :P. My character will have taken piloting classes, which is the entire reason he has a ship and can fly it effectively. If we get a character that has knowledge on computers, perhaps they can use those skills to occaisionally hack data for us, giving us otherwise unknown info on a bounty or his location.

The biggest thing I need right now Gutti, and anyone else interested, is planets to fill up a second solar system. For claritie's sake, I'll write down my rough ideas for how our solar system is populated, and which each planet is like:
Earth - It's a hell-hole. Overpopulated, smoggy, dirty, and full of every color of shifty person you can imagine. Earth's governmeant and security forces are mostly occupied with protecting it's upper class and keeping the President safe. So in most cities that are Lower class and ghetto, crime bosses hold the power over the locals. A perfect place to come from if you're a law-breaker, lower class, or anything along those lines.

Mars - Has been COMPLETELY terraformed for nearly a hundred years now, with humans occupying it for over three hundred. A much cleaner, nicer planet than Earth, also more expensive. Inhabited mostly by the wealthy, it's very hard to find lower class citizens living here. Nearly everyone works a white-collar job, and even your mechanics and other blue collar folks are well off and civilized. A perfect place for Upper and Middle class folks, who've gotten good educations and are well off. But don't forget, even in the brightest of places you'll find shadows; Syndicates and Mafias are found here as well, though they play by the rules much more so than their Earth counterparts.

The Asteroid Belt - Throughout the belt, you'll find numerous large space stations, completely self sufficient. These monstrous mechanical things house the working class societies of space miners that harvest the asteroids for metals. They also serve as stop offs for intergalactic travellers, and many drifters and other folks can be found on these stations. A perfect place to hide for a while if you're running from anyone, since you can hop from one station to the next with little problem. Mostly comprised of upper-Lower class to Middle class citizens, where most of them work mining jobs or other kinds of semi-dangerous physical labor.

Jupiter and beyond - You'll only find space stations and large capital ships on patrol once you hit Jupiter, and go beyond. Orbiting Jupiter are several space stations, mostly full of scientists, Law Enforcemeant agencies and Governmeant out-posts. The Military and Law Enforcemeant presence in this area is strong, since they need a foot-hold on the door-step to the lawless voids beyond Jupiter. Many pirate groups float about out in the further reaches of space, where there's no governmeant hold and they can plan attacks and raids without fear.

And, that's about all I have for the planets and such so far. Now I'll touch on Education in this world before I end this post. Education is mostly comprised of 'Implanted Knowledge.' This means, that all the basic things that EVERYONE needs to know, such as Reading, writing, mathematics, etc., are transmitted into the brain with little to no 'learning'. You show up to class, and basically just let it wash over into your brain. Most children complete basic high-school by the age of 14 to 16. Now, that's not to say that you're done with school. During high-school, along with the mandatory knowledge you gain, characters take preliminary classes on nearly every field you can imagine. This all is done by real, old school learning. These are primer courses in whatever career your character wishes to train for in their college years. So, if you want to be a pilot, you take primer courses in piloting during high-school. After which in college, you'll delve full-bore into piloting classes. By the time you complete College in your chosen field, you have advanced basic knowledge on nearly everything concerning that field. So, most people are finished with college within two years, so in essence, you can be fully integrated into the work force in your specialized field by the time you're sixteen.

Alright, well I'm gonna go for now, but thanks for listening all, and as I've said before, all input is welcome!

Axle
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LiL_KK on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm

Wow this is gonna be a cool game. I'm glad you are making it. cant wait to play.
To lie is to sleep, to sleep is to die. So where must one lie to sleep without death...

LiL_KK
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Devious on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:02 pm

Dude, you know, Ima join 8)
Theme of my life: Can't Tell Me Nothing
VMy Love made me thisV

Mr. Devious
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:57 am

Alrighty, well I've created a finished rough draft of my character! This is the character sheet thus far, though I'm still open to adding any other areas that are deemed important, that I may've missed. Keep in mind, there are no psionic/psychic powers of any kind, also there are no playable alien races... YET... I'm still not sure if I'd want to have alien races in this game, but I'm willing to listen to whatever ideas ya'll have! So go ahead and tell me ideas that you'd perhaps wanna see in this game. Oh, and by the way, Marijuana is a legal substance in the game. It was legalized several hundred years ago :P. Anyway, here he is!!!

Name: Douglas Gregoire

Profession: Pilot and Bounty Hunter

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 175 Lbs.

Eyes: Green

Hair: Black

Description: Douglas is of average height, with a nicely muscled build. He has charming green eyes, and long black hair that goes a little past his shoulders, which he either keeps in a pony tail, or just lets it hang down. He has a beard that's like his hair, thick, which goes all the way down his jawline, and it's kept fairly short. His top lip however is kept shaved, so he has a full beard with no mustache. He's currently wearing a bright green T-shirt, with a black pot-leaf on it with 'T.G.F.L.' in large black letters above the leaf, with (Thank God For Legalization) in smaller letters beneath the leaf. He's also sporting khaki cargo shorts, which reach just past his knees, and he's wearing white and red basketball shoes.

Home World: Mars

Allegiances: His Crew, ???

Social Class: Upper Class by birth, Middle class now.

Likes: Marijuana, Alcohol, his ship, travelling, money, cigarettes, Women, having fun, etc.

Dislikes: Kill-joys, buzz-killers, Nosy Police, anyone that tries to steal from him, kill him, etc. Oh, and he DESPISES Pirates. He considers them the worst kind of human parasite.

Goals: Make a good living, doing what he loves.

Equip: For weapons, he carries a semi-auto pistol, nine millimeter with a sixteen round clip. He also has a little-leage sized baseball bat (though he usually leaves this on the ship), and he has a folding pocket knife, with about a two inch blade length. Other than that, he normally carries smokes, some pot, his pipe, his phone, and a pair of hand-cuffs.

Flaws: Smokes cigs a little too much, and drinks a little excessively too. It's never impaired his ability to pilot his ship, but it's defineatly made him make some bad decisions (Lost all his money before; should've never trusted that shifty woman ). Also slightly bi-polar, can go into severe depressive episodes for no good reason. Never tried suicide or the like before, but these mood-swings can cause him to be a real ass, even to his good friends and crew.

History: Ever since Douglas was a young boy, he's wanted to learn how to fly space-ships. He took primer classes for piloting in High School, which Doug completed at 15. He then completed piloting training and got his pilot's certificate at the age of 18. He piloted for his dad for over a year, helping his dad with his business, 'Gregoire Wineries.' It was alot of fun, and Doug enjoyed every minute of it, and it brought him and his father closer together. But just before Doug turned twenty, tragedy struck. His parents were killed on Mars in a suicide bombing on a train while on vacation. Stricken with grief, Douglas fell into a heavy alcohol and marijuana habit, for several months, until his friend Dacen helped snap him out of it. Doug purchased his ship, the Ocean Sky, with the money he recieved as an inheritance. He left his father's company and estate to his father's right hand man, since Doug didn't want to run a Winery. He wanted to go out and explore the solar systems, and live life to the fullest. He chose the profession of freelance bounty hunter, because now he can truly be his own man. His parent's death made him realize that life can end in the blink of an eye, at any moment. So while he's alive, he's vowed to live every day the best he can, having as much fun and making as much money and gaining as much success in his own book as he can.

Axle
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Guttierrez on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:19 am

Well since Axle decided to post his character sheet up for you all to see and get ideas from it, I thought I might aswell.

Name: Dacen Valu

Profession: Cook, Bounty Hunter

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 156 Pounds

Eyes: Blind

Hair: Light Brown

Home World: An Unknown Planet Named Orion, Undetected At The Orion's Belt (I was hoping I could make up a planet, if not I will change the Description.)

Description: A slightly tall man with an average weight, Dacen was blind since birth, he has tanned skin, a ferocious cat that is always in Dacen's backpack or on his back.

Allegiances: Douglas Gregoire, Crew.

Social Class: Lower class by birth, Middle class now.

Dislikes: Pirates, Snubby people, and Mean people.

Goals: To help his friends whenever they need help, make useful inventions, and to Protect anybody and everybody. (even if they are nasty, mean, pirates or just don't deserve it.)

Equipment: A Steel Walking Pole, Emergency food and water, and an old fashioned long curved cutlass, 4'3".

Abilities: Even though Dacen's sense of sight is lost, all his other sense's are heightened. Dacen uses the sense's of hearing, smelling, and touching to master his life, Just because Dacen is blind doesn't mean he can't handle himself with a sword, aswell as everything else.

Flaws: Since Dacen has lost his vision the risk of injury and/or death are bigger. Dacen can't see where he is going or what he might be doing.

History: Dacen and his family moved from Orion to Mars when he was 7 years old. When he went to Mars he made friends with a Boy named Douglas Gregoire and they have remained friends since then. When Dacen was 13 he was allowed to get artificial eyes *or whatever* but his family didn't have the money. Douglas and his family said they would pay for it but Dacen said that he didn't want they eyes because he didn't want himself to be fake, he liked himself the way he was and he can live with being blind, so the his family and Douglas' family honoured his wish. after a few years Douglas started talking about being a Bounty Hunter and buying his on space ship, Dacen was intrigued by the offer Douglas had given him to join his crew, so Dacen accepted straight away. A couple of years later Douglas bought his space ship and Dacen and Douglas have been living as bounty hunters since then.

Guttierrez
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!