Crimson Metal

The Ship

a part of “Crimson Metal”, a fictional universe by Skittle_Overlord.

The Parasites are almost unstoppable, they just keep coming. A ragged band of pilots who don't even like eachother doesn't stand a chance. Do they? Literate Sci-Fi Mecha roleplay

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Crimson Metal”.
Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

Re: [OOC] The Ship

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MaxStokes on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 pm

First of all, acronyms are funny.......

Second, I don't know what to base the big guns off of. The only semi-revolutionary ideas involve anti-matter and that seems OP. I'm not good with tech that is just run of the mill, I have to come up with stuff thats like "HOLY CRAP I WOULDA NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!"

Thirdly, May edit the previous post, I was kinda stretched for time .....

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MaxStokes
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 am

Yay, for weird bunches of letters. Umm, I was never planning on using the Ripper drive in the stationary designs since it is a brand new technology, I was thinking of implementing a much more normal system that only accelerates craft beyond LS and thus still requires travel time and requires large amounts of power, much less efficient then the ripper drive.

True, Anti-Matter is a bit OP unless our opponents also wield it, which I don't think they would. In terms of weapon systems a good old magnetic accelerator is always fun, no matter how common it is. Also, Ion cannons are a good way, purely anti-shield and subsystem weaponry. And my own creation, Scarab Canons... Mehehehe. If you want to use those I'll get around to explaining them.
The Spice Melange occurs on only one planet in the entire universe.
The Planet Arrakis, also known as Dune.
He who controls Arrakis, controls the Spice. He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Omnomnomnom

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TemplarWarden
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MaxStokes on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 am

So rip-stations are a no go? I can change it if I need too, but we could always call the ripper drives an a innovation in Rip-technology and It would be basically the same as going with a different method of FTL at the jump stations. Don't matter to me much either way, so since the Ripper drive was your idea go ahead an make the call (or skittles w/e). Just tell me if I need to re-write, and how you prefer it.

Why don't you go ahead and go for the Scarab Canons as the main guns (if their awesome as you infer). Otherwise I'm just gonna end up slapping a few anti-matter warheads in the ships arsenal, since I can't think of anything else suiting the carrier. The warheads would be enough to repel a warship if the carrier got ambushed alone, but the amount it carries (1 or 2) would not be practical in a large scale battle.

MaxStokes
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:39 am

Space Wave Accelerator Stations

Before the advent of Ripper technology, intersystem travel was brought about by way of Space Wave Accelerators. An Xial technology brought to humans before homo sapiens left their sun's gravity well. Originally craft were constructed with on board SWA, however the drives were large and required massive stores of energy. Severely limiting the earliest craft. The firsts SWA stations were set up to counter this problem, providing better efficiency and allowing a larger range of craft. In geostationary orbit around respective stars they directly opposed their twins in other systems, providing a straight line link. Because of the difficult in maneuvering beyond LS any intervening objects would be disastrous so the travel lanes are restricted between the two stations. Unless a craft has an inbuilt SWA it can only travel between systems hosting stations.

Space Wave Accelerators work on the basis of reducing the 'resistance' of space and therefore allow great speeds of travel through set areas, or lanes. Graviton waves are charged and released as both a bow wave and propulsion method. The initial wave disrupts the fabric of space, allowing matter to reach a higher velocity then photons and thus achieving faster then light travel. The lane opened quickly repairs itself and reverts to normal after the matter has passed through. By this method, ships can travel between two set points at effective Pure Light Speed 4.1 which is effectively forty times the standard speed of light.

With the restraints of the stations a third, minor pulse is released ahead of the bow wave as a signal to the relevant station. Once this signal is received super positioning waves are released to cancel the propellant and bow waves and drop the traveling object back to light speed and reduce its velocity to standard sublight speeds. With a ship based system the graviton waves are weaker and disperse, allowing lower top speeds and the ability to return to sublight velocity without a canceling wave.

TemplarWarden
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tanman on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:40 am

Just putting in a word of congratulatory awe towards you two. You're really doing a superb job detailing all the little bits and pieces of the carrier, and seem to be setting alot of standards for the world. Terrific job, keep up the good work - It's entertaining to read while I wait for my next opportunity to post, and it's nice to see people are still active and interested.
Roleplayer For Hire.
Will work for free~ Inquiry via PM welcome! Always willing to take on any role so long as it interests me! Protagonists to Villains to Minor Roles - Fantasy to Sci-Fi to High School - Action to Comedy to Romance - Anything goes!

Tanman
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MaxStokes on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 am

Edited the SHEG post to fit in with the SWA post. No more Rip-stations.

MaxStokes
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tanman on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 am

Alright, here's my attempt at the Main Cannon. Hopefully it's up to scratch/I'm not stealing anyone's bit.

Altered-Photon High Energy Cannon – The A-PHEC

The A-PHEC (A-Fek), or Altered-Photon High Energy Cannon, was first developed as a way of surpassing the limitations of traditional weapons by eliminating ammunition constraints, mechanical failures and allowing an adequate response to breakthroughs in protective technology. Developed at the same time as the now mainstream laser systems, Altered Photons (APs) was one of many particle-wave energy weapons developed and abandoned due to numerous lethal side-effects and instable composition.

APs are a unique variation on the initial composition of a Photon, altering their energy and base makeup through intense exposure to radioactive emissions. The resulting change alters the wave-length aspect of the Photon to a higher frequency, allowing for greater absorption and transmission when interacting with a solid object. Most all material that contacts with an AP undergoes a rapid decaying phenomena, where the atomic structure is decomposed as the AP, rather than giving energy, actually absorbs it from the atom. The AP then reaches a critical mass, the increase in substance from the energy causing the AP to dissipate in a visible light emission.

Given the volatile nature of this wave-particle, attempts to make portable weaponry were met with numerous failures, ranging from disintegration of the weapon itself as it was used, to AP interactions with oxygen wasting what few APs could be contained prior to fire. It wasn’t until some time later that technology advanced far enough to allow for a controlled AP weapon, and this was developed into the A-PHEC. With the invention of the Trefoil Capacitor by Prof. Road, storing of the nuclear emissions became possible on a large scale, rather than needing to be generated simultaneously. This allowed for newer, more stable and safer methods of AP creation, without risking excess exposure to harmful radiation and APs.

The A-PHEC utilises a high intensity widespread photon emitter as the basis of the cannon, ejecting photons at a constant rate. Twin Trefoil Capacitors are charged with a sufficient amount of radioactive energy to convert the necessary amount of photons. On firing, this energy is steadily released into the path of the photon emitter, converting each photon into an AP rapidly enough for the generation of an AP stream. This AP stream quickly begins reacting with the air/water/light particles, generating a visible spectrum of energy rushing forth. Any matter contacted by this AP Stream will visibly appear to disintegrate, as its atomic structure is rapidly deteriorated and vaporised. As the capacitors run out of radioactive energy, no further photons are converted, and therefore, the beam does not have limitless range - however, its potent effect on contact makes it one of the most lethal beams available as a weapon, though the individual atomic interactions make it one of the slowest.

Tanman
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!