Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

The Shot Heard 'Cross the Solar System

a topic in Gundam Wing: Continuing Legend, a part of the RPG forum.

Original GWing Storyline, now AC 202.

The Shot Heard 'Cross the Solar System

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:23 pm

OOC: OOC: I am requesting that everyone download and listen to this song before, after, or while reading this thread.
http://www.theartofmatt.com/upload/dist ... fusion.mp3

I realize the song itself was originally done by Phil Collins and Genesis, and while I do not want to detract from Phil’s amazing talent as a singer and songwriter, I feel that Disturbed more appropriately captures the War-like atmosphere that is most appropriate for this post.

Also, in order to do my best to keep from violating any pirating laws, I must inform you that you are only authorized to hold the song for 24 hours before going out and buying the song via an internet subscription service, or the CD itself, Disturbed's "Ten Thousand Fists".

It had been several days since the conflict had erupted in the Northern Woods. News reports across the globe had been streaming footage of the battle ground as well as interviews with the wounded soldiers and the deceased’s families for the past 72 hours. The leaders of the Earth Sphere spoke out in a series of press conferences, blasting the colonies for their involvement in the attack. However, pacifist, pro-colony, and anti-war organizations also spoke out against the military, stating that the battle was not a direct attack against Earth after further investigation revealed the colonists had been tracking a terrorist into the planet’s atmosphere. Regardless, the stage had been set for war for months now. Just as the situation was at its most tense, an eruption on this scale was all the ignition the powder keg known as war needed. All that was necessary now were the official declarations to be passed and signed before all-out war was waged between Earth and its colonies.

"I must have dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But I can hear the marching feet
They're moving into the street

Now, did you read the news today?
They say the danger has gone away
But I can see the fire's still alight
They're burning into the night"

In the darkness of the dim artificial lights emanating from a densely-populated club deep within the European Continent, the lyrics of a live band echoed throughout the night. While the music itself was only loud enough to permeate through the crowd, barely escaping the walls of its auditorium, the sound seemed to be vibrating throughout the world.

"There's too many men, too many people
Making too many problems
And there's not much love to go around
Can't you see this is the land of confusion?

This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth living in"

The voice of the nameless band’s lead singer reflected the same views as the rest of the young people in the world. Subconsciously, the same words whispered unconsciously through the lips of millions of concerned Earthborne, none of them aware of the soundless sentiments they were broadcasting, but all of their minds locked on the same subject.

"Oh, superman, where are you now?
When everything's gone wrong somehow?
The men of steel, I hate these men of power
I'm losing control by the hour

This is the time, this is the place
So we look for the future
But there's not much love to go around
Tell me why this is the land of confusion

To make it a place worth dying for"

No matter how big anyone spoke, everyone was afraid of the upcoming war. No amount of confidence in anyone’s army could save the citizens from the fear of death; their own or that of their loved ones. This grab-bag of mixed feelings- anger, sorrow, despair, hope, pleasure, and pain- managed to wind their way through the cosmos until they were the same subjects racing through the thoughts of the colonists as well, each of them wondering what the next day would bring, what their fortune would be throughout this mess.

"I remember long ago
When the sun was shining
And all the stars were bright all through the night
In the wake up this madness, as I held you tight
So long ago

I won't be coming home tonight
My generation will put it right
We're not just making promises
That we know we'll never keep"

Whether the words instilled confidence, fear, desire, disdain, pity, passion or any number of other emotions pulled to surface by the moving lyrics, one thing was certain. The war had started, officially or unofficially. Blood had been spilled on both sides, an omen of doom throughout the human race. The shot fired to spark the Revolutionary War may still be considered the “Shot Heard ‘Round the World” but the battle that took place in forests of North America would now be considered the “Shot Heard ‘Cross the Solar System”.

"There's too many men, too many people
Making too many problems
And there's not much love to go round
Can't you see this is the land of confusion?

Now, this is the world we live in
To make it a place worth fighting for

And these are the names we're given
Stand up and let's start showing
Just where our lives are going to"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.