Is there still the mentor system?

a topic in Growth, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

New to the literary world? Just want to improve on your already strong literary background? Get tips on your language skills here.

Is there still the mentor system?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Equipmonk on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:36 pm

I was wondering since the last topic was posted a half year ago. I was just looking to make my writing better and would like someone to help.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Equipmonk
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Is there still the mentor system?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:37 pm

While the Mentors don't exist in the same way they do anymore, there are still those floating around the site who are more than willing to lend a one-on-one hand. I'm one of them! My name is ViceVersus, I'm a career writer and a storyteller by trade. I've been writing since I could put shoes on, and I'd love to help you out, if I can.

:)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Equipmonk on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh, well thank you. I've written before but I don't want to be join something and have my writing look like garbage. A 'career writer' as you said, makes me nervous like I bought Lego and now people want me to design a bridge xD

Equipmonk
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 am

Nah, that's just a fancy way of saying I write for my job! I'm not trying to be intimidating or anything.

So, is there any specific area you want to work on? Any general questions you have? If you want, I could look over some sample posts or whatever.

And by the way, LEGO is awesome. :)

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Equipmonk on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Lego is pretty sweet, I'm a new user so I don't have anything to really show you. My main concern is that I don't want my writing to be below par when I start posting to role-plays. Could be just butterflies in starting a new site.

Equipmonk
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Aw. I understand what you mean. I know that it seems like a cop-out to say "don't worry about it!" but that's honestly the best advice. Just keep doing your best, write as much as you can. If you find a roleplay that you think would be fun or interesting, then liking it is reason enough to apply and join in on the fun!

If you like, we could do a small sample RP through private messages! It would be something really low-key, maybe something kinda fun just to get something going! Really casual, no pressure. Would that be something that might interest you?

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Equipmonk on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Sure, we could do a fun role-play. I did apply for a role-play that I have not made a character as of yet. I think I'll like the site, it seems to have a very diverse user base which I love xD

Equipmonk
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Yep! It's really exciting to me to watch the Welcome Desk and see all the types of users that role on in. Cool, we'll do a PM RP then just to get started. What sort of roleplays do you like? Is there a particular setting you'd like to place our test one in?

Ooh, what roleplay did you apply for?

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Equipmonk on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:17 pm

The Apocalypse - Band Together was the one I applied for. As far as my favorite topic of role-play, I don't really have one. I like to experience different genres so I don't pigeonhole myself as a writer. I feel that writing for a topic I may no nothing about gives me flexibility and gets my mind going in different directions. So if you give me an overview of the genre you'd like to play we can go from there :D

Equipmonk
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am

Sure thing. I think it might be good if I do a genre I'm not as familiar with, as well. I really like watching or reading sci-fi (read: mostly just Star Wars stuff, haha) but I haven't really ever tried my hand at writing it. We could do a sci-fi sort of thing, I could whip up a simple plot/intro if you like. Ye olde "ragtag crew of space misfits on a mission" sort of thing.

ViceVersus
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!