Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

This must be the place?

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions, Arrivals, and Departures, a part of the RPG forum.

New (or returning) members post here to announce your arrival and be greeted by our wonderful community. Also, if you're going away on leave, post here and we'll say our goodbyes.

This must be the place?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rin on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:01 am

Once upon a time, when I was a silly hormonal preteen, I had AOL. On AOL there were those role playing taverns and the such. I was an avid go-er to those taverns until AOL was kicked out. I wrote silly teenage stories. I wrote blogs. I discovered Gaia online a few weeks ago. I tried my hand in RPing again, but Gaia just doesn't have people who are really into a good story, good character development, decent writing skills, etc.

"lolz saves with sword and takez to bedroom lawlz saves dah world wit dah teh awesum nezz"

So here I am. I'm a 17 year old female with a hell of a lot of time on my hands and in search of something to keep my brain alive. And no, there is nothing you can say or do that would surprise me.

Hello. I hope I can be quite entertained here.

P.s. I didn't pay attention during grammar lessons. My spelling sucks occasionally, but I try my best to look intelligent.
This is the challenge of writing. You have to be very emotionally engaged in what you’re doing, or it comes out flat. You can’t fake your way through this.
-Real Life Preacher

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rin
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: This must be the place?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:16 am

I think you have come to the right place. I am sure we can find something to entertain you, please look about if there is anything you want to know about you can ask the moderators and administration, they are all quite friendly and only bite when not fed regularly.

Anyway whatever your interests are there is probably something that will intrigue you, and if not it presents you the opportunity to start a new game.

Most of all have fun.

Grim

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Melloni on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 am

Yeh, I found Gaia too... haha, I started an advanced literate board there, and I got people wanting to join who were asking me how they were supposed to introduce themselves without a list intro. They had actually never heard of an introduction in continuous prose, and considered themselves advanced lit... ._.
'she wore a red dress it was pretty. she stepped into the hall. her name was Julia.'
They were something along those lines. So I gave up.

Finally, have I done it? Have I found a place where people actually speak the English language as it is meant to be spoken, and don't forget to use 'whom' whether it makes them sound pretentious or not?
If you wish, I will become a rose.

Melloni
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rin on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:47 am

Oh man...I don't know when is the right time to use "whom", so please forgive me when I slip up. I'm only a step above those people. I need to learn better grammar and spelling, but I hope I don't annoy anyone TOO badly.

^^;;

Rin
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:58 am

So you don't know when to use 'whom', best way is to use who if you are not sure unless it is 'To whom it may concern' then use whom. From the point of view of the use of grammar and spelling, if you use Firefox you can download dictionaries that will spell check as you type. If you want pointers on grammar and usage look to the Growth section of particular use might be the Writing Prompt and maybe the Role play Academy.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:54 am

Ja- what Grim said. However more importantly, then spelling and grammar, is that you find people to RPG with and have a great time here. Go ahead and wander about a bit, there's bound to be something that'll catch your eye.

Oh! Don't feel be about asking any questions- us mods are here to help... Kinda like customer service.

Clean up aisle 5... clean up aisle 5

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rin on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:21 am

Thank you all for welcoming me.

Rin
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nils on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:41 pm

It's great to see that you're willing to improve. Don't worry about the grammar--you seem perfectly capable anyway.

As for the evil whom-curse, just remember it follows a preposition, which is like "on," "in," "for," "over," "to." You can test if a word is a preposition by inserting it into this very scientific formula: "________ the mountain." Like, "to the mountain!" Or "beneath the mountain!" If it makes sense, then it's probably a preposition. Kinda. Well, that's what my middle school grammar teacher told me...

Anyway, glad you're here! Since you admitted that you have a lot of free time, maybe you can give Shotgun RP Project a try. We haven't finished an RP yet, and there is currently no activity, but... yeah... Someday we will!

Nils
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes, yes, I'll get right on that Nils O.o . Anyway, welcome to RPGateway, hope you find something you like. Like Edge said, the most important part is RPing.
"Some things are important. Others are not. Yet all would claim a mortal's attention. It falls to each of us to remain ever mindful, and thus purchase wisdom in the threading of possibilities. It is our common failing that we are guided by our indifference to eventualities. The moment pleases, the future can await consideration." - Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axle on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Welcome, welcome! Pretty late with that but whatever :P. Have a good time, yada yada, you've heard it all before ^ :)
It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to achieve anything. -My attitude on life-

Axle
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:58 am

Ditto what he said. ;b Welcome, and all that jazz.

Note: 'Whom' is a direct object. It recieves the action of the sentence. An easy sentence is 'I mailed the letter to my grandmother.' 'I' is the subject, 'the letter' is the...direct object, and 'my grandmother' is the indirect object. It's been years since I learned that, and it was actually taught by my German teacher because English teachers, for some reason, don't bother with grammar anymore, so excuse me if I mixed up direct and indirect objects. Though I don't believe I did. Prepositional phrases either contain direct or indirect objects, depending on their relation to the verb.

I'll be taking a grammar class next semester as a requirement for my major. (English, obviously. And no, I do NOT intend to teach. -_-; )
'By any means necessary. Heh, that's when your ideals outweigh your conscience. The question is: are you willing to give up yourself--your idea of who you are, of what is right--to help other people?"

Azamiko
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.