Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: CĆ”c KĆØo BĆ³ng ĐƔ Bįŗ”n NĆŖn TrĆ”nh Khi Đįŗ·t CĘ°į»£c Tįŗ”i NhĆ  CĆ”i Hiį»‡n » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Crows and Coins

Crows and Coins

a part of “Crows and Coins”, a fictional universe by LuckyNumber24.

In the land of Terradeth, an uneasy peace has been established in the city of Korrigan's criminal underbelly. However, that peace is threatened by a flood of refugees fleeing a war that grows closer each day.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Crows and Coins”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Crows and Coins

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby skeletalprince on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm

I would love to have a say in how you all go about hunting magic... but I might loose my head for that one.

Honestly though, I hope we can get started soon!

"Your smile is what saved me!"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

skeletalprince
Member for 7 years
Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:49 pm

If you harm a hair on Max's head, Xerxes, the Dancing Flame, will not show you any mercy.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

almostinsane
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LuckyNumber24 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:09 pm

@Lostsoulsbleed

Yes, you can still create her! Just try to have her in by the weekend

@Everyone

Alright guys, I'm going to try to have the opening post up on Friday or Saturday!

LuckyNumber24
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:31 pm

totes stoked.

yes, I see no reason to treat Jerumians and followers of Nazariel as heretics yet.

Now while I can understand her doctrine includes the belief of all magic being evil. We of the Trinitarian cloth don't have such a clear cut ruling. Certainly the Inquisition was inspired by Nazariel's devout Witch Hunters - but different faiths have different precepts.After all, Themos would have bring is relentless justice for any and every offense; Vestalia in her infinite mercy is like to let things go and lastly Sacris has us judge on an individual merit.

So to that end some form of grounding rules and restrictions are required since in the name of Themos we're tasked with keeping the peace and safety of the peoples of Darin...a blind witch hunt would be sacrilegious. That's to say nothing of political matters and implications, so I can't just turn a blind eye as you hunt witches. Atop it all there's...internal affairs to consider since a Witch under the supervision of the Inquisition has been judged an innocent by Sacris himself. So if per say an Inquisitor or an auxiliary - in both cases recognizable by our mark upon their hands were to be caught up in the dispute...we're staring down a potential holy war.

Nekohina
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Holy war, you say? Yeees. You'se a magic-user? Gil's got your back. I'll show you "filthy pigs."
Ambar: Snow & Ash
"For these words, he won't come around here,
and his eyes won't see."

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years
Author Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby skeletalprince on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 pm

I shall pray that this war will not mean the fall of mankind.

skeletalprince
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 am

Welcome back to the week everybody. I'm slogging through a bunch of my school work so I should be good to go whenever!

Also, how are we planning on dealing with death and injury? It's no fun being immortal.
"In breaking news, the Sky. The Earth.

Life.

Existence as an unchanging plane with horizons of birth and death in faint distance. There is nothing to speak about.

There never was."

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby skeletalprince on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

"No reviving, we mourn our characters and kill them like men"

Anyway, memes aside... I'm unsure.

skeletalprince
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LuckyNumber24 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Hey guys! So I've had mad issues with my internet this weekend, but it should be fixed within the next couple of days. We will be starting soon, so thank you for being patient!

LuckyNumber24
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby skeletalprince on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 pm

skeletalprince
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:36 pm

I agree we die like men.

As for injuries... I doubt the gods care about something like a paper cut. As for more serious injuries, I think we can agree that the healing process is...demanding on the healer and the healed. Healer cuz magic being magic so mana/willpower is a thing and on the healed because I believe it to be right and just for the gods to demand that the body provide things like calories and rest for fuel. So potions for that energy are a thing and well while it's slower "accelerated/super bedrest" style healing is economical.

So from a meta view: potions are the norm, spells are great too because they're put simply faster (hell they can even be less demanding)and people that have specific healing abilities outside that the average of "accelerated/super bedrest" are an outlier but one that is of incredibly high demand if they're willing to go public.

Or are we talking like a process/potency thing?

Nekohina
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Cuz if we're going there: I'm in the camp of having my...enhancements making me fall in the category of "relatively unresponsive to healing magic" since there's the built in parasitic alternative. Or even the simple argument of "infused with dark magic, so a light magic like healing is potentially harmful". As for my opinions for discussion fodder.

If we're talking regeneration. I'm personally a fan of a generic blanket rule of "average week to regrow a limb from scratch" with the strong asterisk of "assuming average joe could even perform the feat". So a healer that can realistically do something like that would say 3 days or so and good healers can regrow a limb faster.

As for reattaching - I'd say short of the segment being cauterized feel free to reattach and assume you're good to go within a day physically - psychological adjustment varying.

To limit religious interference for the sake of "mom and pop" healers I'd say medicinal knowledge would be the deciding factor between 2 healers if all else is equal. Whether if be because of physical medicine sharing the load or simply knowing/ understanding what you're trying to do makes you better able to use magic as a tool. Which means a cleric studying doctrine at church can expect to lose out on knowledge - but compensates with the resources of the church best they can. It would also mean a less knowledgeable healer has to waste time and magic "analyzing" or "diagnosing" a problem to try to best fix it with what magics they can do.

In regards to sickness: if it's a normal disease or poison I'd say go potion(tho on poisons I've no problem with a magic cure on an individual basis), or fortifying the body to resist but no flat cure magic. As for a magical poison or curse - go ahead magically cure them because that's what magic is for. So to that end I'd say magics that strengthen and reinforce the body are generally classified under Healing Magic in most circles and are the quick and easy method since it can follow the logic of "prevention vs cure"

Nekohina
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Butterfly Effect on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Pirate healing-
Lose a hand ? Put a hook on it!
Lose an eye? Eyepatches are sexy!
Lose a leg? Here's you a wooded peg leg!

Arrrg!
"I pledge allegiance to Max and the power for which she stands"
-Chloe Price

Butterfly Effect
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal Group Theory Helmsman Arc Warden Storyteller Novelist Property Buyer Lifegiver Beta Tester Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fabricator on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 pm

I believe I've clearly missed someone on the magic front and may need to submit another character who can use magic to balance this out...

I was working on the understanding of being maimed was a permanent affliction rather than something you ran down to the local voodoo man to graft back on every other Thursday. I suppose on the one hand the Arena of Salt is now entirely filled with whole gladiators without a scratch on their baby fresh skin hacking each other to bits every day for the money required to send them back out fighting.

I can certainly understand the magic healing wounds and such but even then I'd been viewing it as a rare occurrence or at least more for those who can afford it over the common folk; who then have to deal with cheaper models or simply potions rather than a dedicated healer. That being said I can see that being the case anyways just now the scale seems to be a smidge longer and larger and more varied than I had hitherto thought.

Perhaps I've not devoted enough time to perusing both the other characters and the setting this has been based off.
ImageImage

Fabricator
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:54 am

Eh. I just assumed that... if you lose a limb, you lose a limb. No amount of magic will attach that baby back on unless you're of the supernatural flavour. Say voodoo-witches who dabble in black magic and bleed tar and live for hundreds of years, as opposed to their weaker, fleshy human counterparts. It'd be an interesting take on magic, though. Like Fab said, only those that can afford dedicated healers (or those that are particularly gifted) have those opportunities, if not--tough luck, babe. Bear those battle scars. Get a peg leg.

Suffer wee babes, suffer.

Guess it depends on what kind of healing we're talking about. Dragon Age style? Instant healing with the flick of a wrist, at the cost of mana / lifeblood / whatever. Or a more realistic flavour. Limits and stuff. Say a wound is too deep, or too intensive, magic healing would only do so much. Though I'd still argue that your character would be hurting. There's no fun when you're not giving your characters boo-boo's, admit it.

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years
Author Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:58 am

personally i favor realism. I just start with a very low realism bar on magic when pitching idea fodder

Nekohina
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:17 am

Iā€™ll give my take on the matter before letting us argue- I MEAN - compromise.

So, when it comes to ressurecting the dead, thereā€™s a few ways I like to imagine it to keep it from being justā€¦ all kinds of OP. Firstly, the body thatā€™s resurrected might not come back with the same soul it owned before death. Or, perhaps itā€™s twisted and corrupted so much in the process of rebinding the two that the resulting creature is more of a servant tied to a master. Weak, necrotic tissue, useless alone, but strong en masse. OF COURSE, all of this costs the caster something. I tend to view black magics as having a high risk, but a high reward, so insta-army of dead dudes might be badass, but it also might (literally) cost an arm and a leg. Or some other ritual something that takes time to prepare. But otherwise, any spell to bring back life is not going to work in the favor the newly resurrected.

My stance is roughly the same on all healing spells. Sure, healing is awesome and convenient, but perhaps the spell is capable of only regenerating the flesh, but not restoring the blood and bone lost. But it takes time to cast, something thatā€™s incredibly valuable in a fight, making their usage during battle unlikely. Iā€™d also like to mention that I completely agree on the front of ā€œmaimingā€ and ā€œeviscerationā€ not being temporary afflictions. Ever get stabbed in the face? Too much vital stuff all in one place. If you survive, that experience is going to take time to heal from, both physically and psychologically. Not to mention, Iā€™ve always loved the interesting idea of healing magic-phlebotinum being just as painful, if not more painful than the original injury. You thought that broken leg hurt? Wait ā€˜till we fix it with, MAGIC!

As for alchemical stuff, I tend to reduce the painful side of things, but increase the time required. Thatā€™s both time to find, create, and brew the potion, as well as the time it takes to effect the body once ingested. Of course, this means you could take a healing potion before a fight so that the slow-acting regeneration mends your flesh as you walk away from the battle soaked in the blood of victory. But, maybe too much adrenaline halts the potion, or the introduction of more wounds in the system.

But now, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve strayed too far from the actual subject. If someoneā€™s fighting mahā€™ grizzly oleā€™ Hunter, and he gets a good burn on half of his body, (donā€™t get any ideas), then donā€™t expect an immediate reaction other than screaming. Lots and lots of screaming. I donā€™t care how awesome your swordswoman is, sheā€™s gonna flinch and cry out in pain from a dagger piercing her arm. And if enough injuries occur to where the character realistically would be dead.

MURDER YOUR DARLINGS

Let them die. Unless ā€œdeus ex machinaā€ swoops down and saves your ass, because religion. But, thatā€™s not gonna fly with everyone else that well. That said, Iā€™ve never been a fan of those posts where someone leaves no room for error in their characterā€™s actions during a fight. Hereā€™s a quick, sloppy example Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all seen:

ā€œEric leapt high, swinging the blade down onto Gageā€™s head. The steel erupted with a loud metallic crunch, and Gageā€™s body fell to the ground.ā€

Oh, thanks Eric, I totally wanted my Gage to die today. Right now. Thanks bro. While I did leave a LITTLE margin of error at the end, with a tiny hope that Gage could somehow still be alive, this is typically what I do:

ā€œDucking behind Farronā€™s last swing, Rayya turned on her heel, aiming her dagger for the chink in his armor.ā€

Now Farron might be clumsy, and take the brunt of Rayyaā€™s attack, or he might be a little more dexterous, and avoid enough damage to last a bit longer in the fight. Either way, he hasnā€™t been shut out of the conflict entirely.

Wow. I really started ranting there. Sorry. Hope yaā€™ guys can forgive me, and we can all reach a nice happy middle-ground. Though, I would be fine with most of this being overruled by our dear, dear, GM.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LuckyNumber24 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 am

Wassup everyone! My internet is back and I will be posting over the weekend and we can get this party started! Thank you guys for being patient!

LuckyNumber24
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby skeletalprince on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:08 am

skeletalprince
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yonbibuns on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:08 am

Can't wait! Also, I agree with you on all those points, Oreo-sensei.

Yonbibuns
Member for 14 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!