Announcements: Last Call for Remaining Staff » Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue May 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Hello, newcomer! You've found yourself in the wide world of RPG Universes, and are looking to take your next step into the virtual world. Worry not, other players have helped craft a world full of opportunity and we've collected a list of the best starter locations so you can put your best foot forward.

Our Recommendations
Look through the list of locations below and pick one that seems like a good origin story for your character's story, then click the "Create a Character Here" button in the top, right-hand corner of that location's page. Fill out the form, and you'll be dropped directly into character at that location.

Start with /look, maybe read over /help, and then write your first post. :)

Feel free to move around without waiting for other players using the /north, /south, etc. commands, known as the "directionals" — if you ever get lost, a simple /look will tell you where you are and where you can go.

Keep an eye out, as there's a few surprises to be found!

Good Starter Locations for New Players

Under Construction

Adding to the List
I'd like to collect a list of locations which are well-suited for newcomers to RPG — inspiring places which give players a good foundation to build a character around, well-written prompts to get them started, etcetera.

The only criteria are as follows;

• The Universe must be open (players shouldn't have to wait for GM approval to post)
  • There are at least 2 locations in the Universe (so once the player has gotten started, they can move along to free up the location for others to follow)

I'll aggregate responses made in this thread (please provide links!) and put them here in this list, starting with Genesis, the location we created in the Multiverse for helping players with their origin story.

Don't hesitate to create a location in your Universe just for this purpose; we'll be using them as landing pages for some upcoming campaigns for new members. Excited to see what worlds we can build!
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies

Tips: 1.25 INK Postby Absenthia on Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm

My suggestion as of right now is:
  • The Cursed Wood - If it's supernatural/fantasy a player seeks, then this location is a good starting point for quite a few scenes. Players can move through the woods, to several locations such as the vampire city Verinotte Hollow or the Gypsy Camp.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.25 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 1.25 INK Postby mombie on Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 pm

Must this Universe be inside of the Multiverse? I had my own ideas to help some new folks, especially those a bit too shy to dip right into the Multiverse. Of course, the intention would be for them to ultimately move on to the Multiverse. Unlike my other Universes, this will have two settings and not require GM approval.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.25 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 pm

mombie wrote:Must this Universe be inside of the Multiverse? I had my own ideas to help some new folks, especially those a bit too shy to dip right into the Multiverse. Of course, the intention would be for them to ultimately move on to the Multiverse. Unlike my other Universes, this will have two settings and not require GM approval.

No! We're on the lookout for more "open to all" Universes to feature and would love to have others listed here. The more options our players have, the better!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 1.25 INK Postby mombie on Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:24 pm

It's under some heavy construction right now, but I intend for Star Wars: Old Republic to be an open world that will be new member friendly. It has at least five locations right now, and I will be putting in locations in THOSE locations soon enough. Of course, it won't require GM approval. It only does right now so that I can focus on its construction.

:)

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:17 am

I saw that! Looking really good so far, excited to see this emerge. I encourage you to add little areas like Spaceports and Cantinas that give players something to build on for their first post; typical RPG storystarter stuff, places that might have high traffic flow in the context of the universe, making it easy to explain the character's introduction to the story.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby mombie on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 pm

I have officially opened up the Star Wars: Old Republic Universe. I'll add to it as things progress, but for now I am content with letting people get into it if they want. You can place this on the list.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 pm

mombie wrote:I have officially opened up the Star Wars: Old Republic Universe. I'll add to it as things progress, but for now I am content with letting people get into it if they want. You can place this on the list.

Which locations should be listed? Any particular spaceports that're good starting locations for beginners?

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby mombie on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:29 pm

Given that it is Faction dependent - I would say Nar Shaddaa is most neutral. I haven't built any cantina locations yet because I am waiting for players to build further: universes/star-wars-old-republic/places/nar-shaddaa

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:03 am

I came across this fantastic list of potential starting locations by @lostamongtrees, but it's so large I think we'll need to filter it down to a few select locations!

Can we sort through it for places that haven't received any posts yet and/or have an active sovholder that we can rely on to respond quickly to new players?

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 am

Remæus wrote:I came across this fantastic list of potential starting locations by @lostamongtrees, but it's so large I think we'll need to filter it down to a few select locations!

Can we sort through it for places that haven't received any posts yet and/or have an active sovholder that we can rely on to respond quickly to new players?

Oh hey look, a comprehensive list of all planetary bodies in The Multiverse at the time of publication. That could use some updating and helping hands. Is anyone interested?
tag me in the chat!

Become a Cartographer
Chart the stars of
The Multiverse with us!

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes
to become a Hunter?

"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth.
They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

- Robert Jordan

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Re: Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sungirl on Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:41 pm

Are there any superhero themed rps? My character would probably fit into a CW themed TV show (i losely based my character on the CW's Stargirl tv series with some other stuff added.

Sungirl
Member for 1 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Joseph_Bennett on Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:12 pm

lostamongtrees wrote:
Remæus wrote:I came across this fantastic list of potential starting locations by @lostamongtrees, but it's so large I think we'll need to filter it down to a few select locations!

Oh hey look, a comprehensive list of all planetary bodies in The Multiverse at the time of publication. That could use some updating and helping hands. Is anyone interested?

Alright. It’s been three years, roughly, since that post, and I have just now read it. I’m all game. I’d love to go back through and help out, especially now that I have my own developing storyline for a planet, however small it may be.
Just respond to this post and direct me, lost, I’m ready to help out.
Yours Truly,
Joseph Bennett

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert, Dune.

Joseph_Bennett
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 4 years
Lifegiver Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Property Buyer Promethean World Builder Tipworthy Author Conversationalist Group Theory Arc Warden Storyteller Historian Person of Interest Builder Salesman Giver Greeter Inspiration Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!