Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

What influences you as you write? And why?

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

What influences you as you write? And why?

Tips: 2.50 INK Postby Joseph_Bennett on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Hey guys, Joseph here. I just wanted to ask this question and give it an answer myself. I'm pretty new to the forum thing but I think I got it down. Just hope I'm putting it in the right place.

So here I go!

The main thing that influences me is music. But not just any music, the Rock of last century, the sixties, seventies and eighties. The reason goes deeper than just because I like it. Let me start off my explanation.

I have a really deep connection with my Dad. Even when I feel distant from the rest of my family, my Dad is always there. I have always wanted to know what it is like to be him, to know how he handles all the stress in his daily environment. He's almost as revered as God in my mind, now that I think about it. I trust him even more than I trust God, it feels like, because I can actually feel and see my mortal Father, rather than my Immortal Father. But off from that topic. My Dad has a taste in music that I have developed. Being born in the late sixties, he grew up with many artists I know and love. I feel like when I listen to that music, I am feeling what the people of that time felt. I feel like I am feeling what my father felt. Bands and composers, no matter how old their creations get, they almost never change. Metallica, Buffalo Springfield, Creedance Clearwater Revival, all of those. That's why I find the topic of the Sixties to Eighties so fascinating, because of how much the society was changing.

Now, what inspires you? And why?
Yours Truly,
Joseph Bennett

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert, Dune.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.50 INK in return for their work.

Joseph_Bennett
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 4 years
Lifegiver Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Property Buyer Promethean World Builder Tipworthy Author Conversationalist Group Theory Arc Warden Storyteller Historian Person of Interest Builder Salesman Giver Greeter Inspiration Concierge

Re: What influences you as you write? And why?

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby CaptainGrue on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:12 pm

That's a pretty amazing connection you got there, man. When you talk about "feeling what my father felt" I don't think you're wrong, either. Music can be a shared experience that spans throughout time so no matter how different how world gets, the music will remain the same and we can at least experience that. And yeah those decades specifically do have a huuuuuge amount of change in just about every way, which the music reflects. My interest in music is also rooted in my interest in writing, I like stories and interesting ways for them to be told. I know Elton John would envision each set of lyrics as a film to help him find the right music for each song, it's kind of neat how a lot of this stuff is just interchangeable/code-switching.

As far as I go, I don't know if I have one specific inspiration that's more powerful than the others. I guess I do think through music quite a lot, as well. I find a lot of inspiration from authors I've read who have set precedents that push the envelope. I used to love the whole Poe 'single effect' thing but then Ernest Hemingway comes along and says it's worthless, so maybe there really are just no rules and you can kind of do it however the hell you want. Videogames, classical philosophers, friends, I take inspiration where I can get it :P

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

CaptainGrue
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Streamwatcher Person of Interest Promethean World Builder Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Builder Greeter Arc Warden Concierge

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby sifsand on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 pm

What influences me as far as writing goes is author appeal. I really REALLY enjoy writing about specific topics that interest me. I have an entire place in the multiverse in the form of Xamoyos which is a direct reflection of the kinds of author appeal I have.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

sifsand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 7 years
Promethean World Builder Inspiration Author Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Visual Appeal Conversationalist Bug Hunter Person of Interest Lifegiver Builder Greeter

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Joseph_Bennett on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:21 am

Another thing that influences me is foreign and American history. The beauty of the power of the great nations was fascinating. I like looking at things like the Texan revolution and can't help being inspired by the legends of it.

Even the Sky's Edge situation may turn out to be a futuristic battle of the Alamo. It's just how you take it.

(Dearest luck to our fellow resistance members)

Thanks for understanding my choice of words in my first post, Grue.

Anybody else want to say what inspires them?

Joseph_Bennett
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 4 years
Lifegiver Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Property Buyer Promethean World Builder Tipworthy Author Conversationalist Group Theory Arc Warden Storyteller Historian Person of Interest Builder Salesman Giver Greeter Inspiration Concierge

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Honestly I’ve also been really influenced by music in terms of writing. I don’t have any big emotional reason why other than when I was at the super angsty teenager stage, I was super into music and it’s become a big part of my life.

I think music and storytelling are just intrinsically linked for me. I love music and music videos that tell stories (concept albums and rock operas are some of my favorite things) and then music inspires me to tell stories and influences what I’m writing. Also I love figuring out stories behind videos and songs, it’s just such a creatively satisfying thing to do.
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CaptainGrue on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:25 am

partially-stars wrote:I think music and storytelling are just intrinsically linked for me. I love music and music videos that tell stories (concept albums and rock operas are some of my favorite things) and then music inspires me to tell stories and influences what I’m writing. Also I love figuring out stories behind videos and songs, it’s just such a creatively satisfying thing to do.

Hell yeah, rock operas! Deeply recommend Act II by The Protomen, honestly it's one of my favourite things. Also The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets do punk rock music that tells lovecraft horror stories, and Lemon Demon's Spirit Phone has all sorts of crazy concept shennanigans (one song about an arcade machine that eats people)
Maybe I should get a thread up about concept-based music XD

But all that stuff definitely inspires me, so so cool.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CaptainGrue
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Streamwatcher Person of Interest Promethean World Builder Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Builder Greeter Arc Warden Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby phosphene on Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:36 pm

What influences me are people.

As a child, I was intensely shy and anxious. I was that stereotypical kid that hid among my mother's skirt so that people wouldn't see me. Now, as an adult, I come of as mean and unapproachable because the thought of speaking with people I don't know just makes me nervous. As a kid, and even now, I really deeply wanted to experience life, but I have always experienced a very genuine fear of trying new things. I didn't have very many friends, I didn't really like to do things, so I often felt like I was missing out.

I discovered a real love for fantasy and science fiction stories in my childhood. They were exciting without feeling too, uh, real.

I love to write stories where I figure out what someone who isn't practically afraid of their own shadow would do, or what somebody who knows how to use their voice may say. In a way, I kind of use my writing to help me relate to the world in different ways (even if it's a fantastical version of the world) because my standard response to things is to cry and then give up. People inspire me in so many ways, you know? I'll see people out in the world who are bold and confidant and always themselves, and people who are soft and caring and knit hats for babies. There are people that will nurse an injured bird back to health and people that genuinely don't care about anything unless it effects them.

I also just really love telling stories. As cliche as that may be to say, there is just something freeing about being able to weave a story together from nothing- or to take inspiration from here, a concept from there, maybe a breath of an idea from over there. Mix it up, see what you have. It's so rewarding when it works out, when it makes sense, when it comes together. And if it doesn't come together, then at least you know... You know? I suppose it's a very human thing, to want to craft a story that's so much bigger than I am.

I guess I just, I dunno, am inspired by all the potential of the human experience.

Well, shoot, you didn't ask for me to write an essay. Anyway, I hope some of that rambling made some sense. ^^;
Things are only impossible until they're not.
tumblr | Pinterest

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

phosphene
Member for 5 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge Giver World Builder

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:08 pm

I have to piggy-back off of nonconformingrole. Without people, roleplay is just... writing with yourself and your own stories. The surprises of collaborative stories, like roleplay, make a unique and exciting experience. Everything is so dynamic. When you get a good RP partner or a great group, it can be an emotional roller-coaster akin to reading a great book or watching a television series. I love, love, love finding people that I can write with and bounce all the emotions and ideas off of. It's just fun.

My influence also comes from the fact that I have always been a bit of a roleplayer in my own little way since I was a child. Don't make fun of me, but children - it is time for mom to tell you a story. If you laugh, you'll have to sit in a corner or go to time-out. But I have been in love with Wolverine since I was like... 7 or 8 (I'm old, okay and I would still leave my husband for him if he existed). I used to watch the X-Men series with my dad when I was little, and I always romanced the idea of Storm and Wolverine. SO... I used to always pretend I was Storm wherever I went - whether it was swimming in a pool or riding in a car, I dramatically played on my own. I never did anything NAUGHTY, but I used to make-out with my pillow. I was a CHILD okay! INNOCENT CHILD!

So I guess, in a sense, I've been a roleplayer all my life. Lol. I've always pretended to be someone that I am not because my characters and fictional characters are more exciting than my own narrative and experiences. My imagination has always run very deeply. I discovered roleplay when I moved to the United States at 11 years old, and I learned a lot of my English writing from sitting in AOL chatrooms. I found a friend in HIGH SCHOOL (yes, high school - I was a nerd), and we used to do roleplay by pen and paper.

Roleplay is a world that I don't actually have to be completely myself in, yet I can experience different things in an... abstract way, I guess. It sounded a lot better in my head, honestly. Imagination inspires me. I'm such a child at heart. While I am at a level where I feel comfortable with myself, finally at the age of 32, I no longer roleplay because I feel depressed and horrible about my own self and my own life.

I roleplay for the people that surprise me all of the time. I roleplay because I don't have a social life outside of my family and my home, and I don't care because real life people don't give me the thrill and the enjoyment that my roleplay partners do when we write together. It's relaxing. It's a break from my children and my husband (I love them all, but they stress me out, too). I don't live a life that is creative outside of the internet. I am focused on mothering, bodybuilding, school, wifeing, blah blah blah - so roleplay is my only chance to show off my writing skill, to just take a creative break. Honestly... I've gotten through really, really, really, really rough moments in my life because roleplay helps my mind. I've roleplayed a lot of my personal tragedies, like a character that lost her husband through war as I did in real life, or a divorcee, or an exhausted single mother - whatever. My influence has always been that it's my little therapy. It isn't that I live through my characters or I fall in love with my RP partners or whatever, it's just that I don't have to be afraid of being a nerd or doing what I enjoy because you all understand me.

ANYWAY, that was corny, but you got it. For the people. For the experience of things that we never get to experience in real life. For the joy of it. That's all the influence I need as I write.

... I honestly don't listen to music as I write. I just let my emotions and imagination and fantasies run through my head. That's how I've always been. Everything else is distracting.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:59 pm

It's hard to say what exactly influences me because it's been so many things over about the last 20 years. I started RPing in 2000 on a really 40kbps or less dial up connection, which meant that things were slooow. I didn't have reliable streaming media access, such as videos or music.

So having essentially come of age in an almost wild west era for the internet, I would say at it's core it's likely a combination of books, and music that I could swipe from my parents CD collection. Most of this music was from the 70s and 80s when they were young adults, and my grandparents have a pretty large record collection spanning the 1950s to 1980s.

There was also whatever I could get from the library, once I was old enough to ride my bike to it and no parent to tell me what I could/couldn't check out. I never really played computer or console games as a kid. So that doesn't much factor in.

Now? It's still a lot of what I read, even if it's electronic in format.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!