Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Universe of the Week!

a topic in Universe of the Month, a part of the RPG forum.

See the official thread for more information!

Universe of the Week!

Tips: 5.50 INK Postby partially-stars on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:44 am

Hello all! This is a new site initiative aimed at promoting some of the fantastic universes on the site, highlighting both promising universes that are looking for new players and showcasing some of the best and brightest writers and universes that the site has to offer.

(this would probably be me as an awards host)

This week’s universe is an exciting concept with lots of potential. It’s Star Wars: Old Republic, run by mombie. It’s an open universe set in the Star Wars universe at the time of the Old Republic. You can be who you want, from whatever faction you want, across a variety of settings. GM approval isn’t required, so you can just make your character and jump right in! This is great for beginners trying to find their feet, experienced players looking for something different, and Star Wars fans of all abilities. Posting is now open so have a look and jump right in!

If you have a universe you’d like to put forward for consideration for Universe of the Week, nominations can be put forward in this thread!

>>> NOMINATIONS <<<
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 5.50 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Re: Universe of the Week!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Oh, my! This was a GREAT surprise, and it's an excellent idea. Thank you so much, partially-stars for the shout out to my Universe! I do hope that it will be a place for everyone regardless of skill. I'll be nominating a few Universes worthy of attention as well.

A very good idea - people work really hard on Universes, and there are a ton of wonderful GMs and writers that deserve some spotlight every now and again. Do we only get to nominate OPEN Universes? The reason that I am inquiring is because there are a lot of Universes that I admittedly just stalk and read because all the writers are putting together a great story.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:58 pm

@mombie; You're very welcome! It's great to see open Universes based on existing media as I think they're quite accessible to newcomers and a great place to get started!

And nope, the universes don't need to be accepting. I'll be trying to post a variety of open universes, universes to watch, and existing universes that are worth a read so any and all suggestions are very welcome! <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Tips: 1.25 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:36 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is The Umbrella Academy: On Stranger Tides, run by ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ! Inspired by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba’s comic “The Umbrella Academy” and the Netflix adaptation, it focuses on an unusual bunch of adults who all have strange and unusual powers. Over time, they’ve grown apart, with some hanging up their masks for good. However, strange occurrences begin after they’re brought together after the death of their father.

The person who nominated this universe said ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ really made the setting their own, and made things open enough for creativity while keeping the tone about the same, and really, I couldn't agree more. Even if you’re not totally familiar with the source material, the concept is really transferable and I can’t wait to see how this new spin on it shapes up. Congratulations to ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ and to all involved in the RP, I can’t wait to see how it shapes up!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.25 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:12 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is Hadean from Lord Saethos. Having amassed over 500 posts in three months, it’s one of the most active universes on the site at present with writers of all abilities, and a shining example of a successful universe on RPG. Combining superheroes and politics is a combination that’s not unfamiliar, but this is a new spin on it that’s exciting and different. It’s always great to see original concept universes growing and excelling on the site, and Hadean is a great example of a successful concept. I’d thoroughly recommend giving it a read!

As always, a huge congratulations to all involved!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:27 am

September’s first Universe Of The Week is Hogwarts: A Dark New Age from Wolf’s Bane109! This is an exciting new take on a story we all know. It’s 20 years since the Battle of Hogwarts and the close of the Harry Potter books, and a whole new generation now walk the hallowed halls of Hogwarts. However, old threats still linger and as the school prepares for its quinquennial tournament between the Houses, a new threat emerges and once again puts lives at risk.

With over 40 characters and even more listed as NPCs, the enthusiasm from both GM and members is clear to see. The person who nominated this universe also said: Wolf's Bane109's level of dedication to keeping this universe alive is unreal and I think it's fair to say we all feel more motivated by extension. Everyone has put considerable effort into plotting interesting interactions and events, to the most intricate details of their characters. Wolf makes sure to listen to all of our ideas, no matter how ridiculous they seem or how far they stray from JKR's lore, and always finds a way to compromise.

Congrats to Wolf’s Bane109 and all of the members of the RP!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:20 am

This week’s Universe Of The Week is The Gala-Dor expedition from CrossKnight35 and CabbageAngel! The concept is a simple but promising and interesting one. A group of adventurers accept an invite to be a part of a quest to search for an ancient Dwarven city- and for fortune and glory.

The concept of the RP is a simple one, and the necessary information is laid out in a clear and visually pleasing manner which doesn’t overwhelm the reader. The RP has been active for a while now with good story development and a host of interesting and unusual characters, and has earned its place as a Featured Universe- and now UOTW!

Congratulations to all involved!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:56 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is The Secret Lives of Hollywood’s Elite from Funny Valentine! Inspired by Gossip Girl, the roleplay follows a group of rich and famous kids who all have something they desperately want to hide from the outside world. When an anonymous gossip columnist starts spilling secrets about the people around them, everyone is forced to confront the fact that their own secrets are at risk.

The roleplay hasn’t yet kicked off, but with a group of super promising writers already involved, I’m excited to see where it goes! At the time of writing, there are also a few places available, so jump in and grab them! Best of luck to all involved and I can’t wait to see where this goes!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:46 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is Spaceship Zero from CaptainGrue! Inspired by retro sci-fi stories and movies, the roleplay focuses around plucky space explorers and has huge potential for both character-driven and plot-heavy storylines and features all the cool and fun things from the genre, such as ray guns and death rays and fun gadgets, while also bringing in elements of horror to keep everyone on the edge of their seats.

For some reason, Spaceship Zero never appeared on the universes page which meant it flew under the radar for many. We were of the opinion that this was a huge shame as it’s such a fun concept with lots of potential, and is suitable for newcomers and veterans alike. Best of luck with it!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:19 am

This week’s Universe of The Week is Camp Athens II from FeistyDeadlySins! Camp Athens is a safe haven for the children of gods, to protect them from the monsters that would kill them given the chance. A year after a brutal war which very nearly overthrew the camp, things have been rebuilt and new campers arrive, unscarred by the war… but a new threat looms on the horizon.

Camp Athens II has now been running for almost three years, with a cast of dedicated and impressive writers. This quote from the GM is a wonderful description, and we’re delighted to be able to feature it! So many amazing writers have joined this RP from the very first one, and came to join me in the second. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions, storylines, and plots. I for one am proud to have created this universe as it has allowed me to meet some lovely people who have detailed characters that seem & feel like real people. This is going to keep going until the very end, and personally? I hope there will be a third.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:16 am

It's almost Halloween and so for this week's Universe of the Week, we're featuring a horror-themed universe! It's Purge: A Nation Reborn from LindaRose! Inspired by The Purge franchise, the roleplay takes place over the space of twelve hours where nothing is illegal and everything goes. (Reader discretion is advised; the roleplay deals with horror and there is mild gore on the front page.)

The universe is still fresh and has plenty of availability for new characters of all and any kinds! We love a seasonally appropriate RP here on RPG, so why not get into the spooky season spirit and consider joining?

(or how about setting up your own Halloween inspired RP?)

A massive congratulations to all involved!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:27 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is Lords of Rock from Nulix! A sci-fi universe based in a galaxy light years away from ours, the roleplay follows a group of characters as they deal with the challenge of a lifetime and everything changes for them.

What caught my attention about this Universe is the rich detail given about the world on its front page, from geography to various cultures. It’s also been running for over two years, and has amassed 1900 posts in that time! With a range of writers of all abilities and styles, it shows off what’s great about the site.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:11 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is Stranger Things: The Flayed from CaptainGrue! Inspired by the hit Netflix show Stranger Things, this universe follows a group of people who have found themselves changed and with new and unfamiliar abilities as a result of the events of the show. This group must band together and work to defeat a new threat.

What I enjoyed about this RP was that, while it still took place in the Stranger Things universe, it was a new and unique spin on the plot and allowed for expansion and development of the universe. It also allows for players who may not be totally familiar with the source material! I’m looking forward to seeing where this is going!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:25 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is Gods Among Us: The Godslayer from Venussky! In this alternate universe, gods have become mortal and walk among ordinary people. Through a cycle of emergence, they move between hosts when their mortal host is killed. However, a new weapon has been developed that aims to end this cycle for once and for all.

The user who nominated this universe said: By blending mythology with science fiction, Gods Among Us captures the essence of a dark, modern fantasy novel. With threads of lore, NPCs, and fleshed out settings, Venussky's roleplay feels like an open world where players can not only explore existing lore but create their own as well. Posting has just began and I will be following along to see where this one goes!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:57 am

This week’s Universe of the Week is Hell’s Half Acre from SHOVELHEAD! Set in the modern day Wild West, the roleplay takes place in the town of Edenholle. The town has its secrets and so does everyone living there.

The person who nominated this RP said: By creating an open world and encouraging multiple forms of roleplaying, SHOVELHEAD's has empowered their writers to collaborate on the world their characters live in. It has a wonderful cast, a brilliant selection of writers (old and new) and an encouraging environment for any and all ideas. It’s always great to see universes that encourage and welcome new writers and the open-ended nature of this roleplay is a great environment for people to find their feet! The standard of writing so far is really excellent, and I’m curious to see where all of these characters end up!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:42 am

Happy Sunday! This week’s Universe of the Week is something a little different. We decided we wanted to highlight a completed universe and chose The Gift: Part Two by Smith. It tells the story of a battle for survival between dragons, humans, and many other fantasy races.

We chose this universe because we felt it’s arc finished in a satisfactory way and wasn’t rushed or brought to an overly quick conclusion, as well as thinking it was a truly interesting concept with an excellent standard of writing. We’d really recommend giving it a read!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 am

Another Sunday, another Universe of the Week! This week's Universe of the Week is The Great Guild Fortune from Nulix! Set in the year 444, the roleplay takes place in a fantasy world and takes its inspiration from Asian mythology. Our players find themselves in the town of Poyo to celebrate the emperor's birthday, but will soon be approached with an offer promising adventure and more.

An novel take on a fantasy world, I thought this RP looked really promising when I read through it. There's plenty of lore and background there but it isn't overwhelming. The premise of the plot is simple but offers the opportunity for plenty of development and room for interesting and unique characters. Best of luck to all involved and congratulations!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:04 am

Happy Sunday! This week's Universe of the Week is Fractured Kingdoms from Zodia195. Thirteen years ago, an evil sorceress cast a spell and sent a group of young princesses to Earth, while keeping the princes as her servants. But now, the princesses are grown up and are about to be sent home to reclaim their kingdom and rescue the princes.

Fractured Kingdoms was initially started almost a year ago. However, in the past few weeks, it has been successfully revived, with both old characters returning and new writers joining. It's always great to see previously inactive universes becoming active again. A massive congratulations to all involved!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:28 am

This week's Universe of the Week is Dogs In Almighty God's Vineyard. The RP takes place in an alternate version of the 1800's and concerns a group called "The Watchdogs of God", who are rather unorthodox preachers and enforcers.

The RP was set up over five years ago and is still active, having amassed over two hundred posts with steady and consistent activity and plot development. The concept is accessible to those not familiar with the source material. A massive congratulations to all involved and I hope to see this staying active for another long time!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby partially-stars on Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:21 am

This week's Universe of the Week is Grimm's Fairies from scra. It concerns an elite team of supernatural creatures, tasked with defending the world from creatures that pose a threat to the world as we know it.

This Universe presented a really cool and original concept, one I haven't seen done before. The concept is simple and accessible with plenty of scope for people to have their own spin on a character, and it's been very successful thus far! I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!