Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Simple Vs. Detailed RPG Layouts

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Simple Vs. Detailed RPG Layouts

Tips: 2.50 INK Postby Zodia195 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:49 pm

I guess I better explain what I mean here. When I initially look at RPGs, first thing I noticed is how an RPG's intro page looks. I do enjoy seeing images of what kind of world the RPG takes place in, but if I see whole page of text going into into intricate detail about what the RPG is like, I get turned off. At the same time though, if the Intro page is too simple and doesn't do a good job of describing the rpg, then I'll also not get interested.

I do find myself though leaning more towards a more simpler RPG layout. So it got me thinking, what kind of RPG layout do ya'll like? Something simple or the more detailed RPG layouts? I am curious.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.50 INK in return for their work.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Re: Simple Vs. Detailed RPG Layouts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sifsand on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:51 pm

I hear you, I like a simple page but with at least some effort put in.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sifsand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 7 years
Promethean World Builder Inspiration Author Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Visual Appeal Conversationalist Bug Hunter Person of Interest Lifegiver Builder Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 pm

What defines simple versus intricate? Is it the number of images? The complexity of the code? The amount of text? From what I can tell, you aren't a fan of too much detail but you dislike when there is no direction. Do I have that correct?

I would be lying if I said that aesthetics don't play a decent role in whether or not I continue reading through the plot of a roleplay. I am a visual person so I want to see what the vibe of the world as much as I want to read about it. If I can't figure out out, then I'm not going to join it. I want to know what direction the GM plans to go in and if I can't glean that from the front page then it feels incomplete to me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy World Builder Builder Inspiration Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:24 pm

As with everything, it ultimately comes down to balance. A nice, aesthetic layout will draw my attention and encourage me to keep reading, but if there’s waaaay too much information, it can be overwhelming and lead me to switch off. Walls of text are definitely a no. I think any information that isn’t really an overview is better placed in dedicated OOC forums as they’re less overwhelming and easier to read, as you can read one section in full and not be immediately bombarded by the rest.
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FeistyDeadlySins on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am

Personally, I think it's a lot easier to split the information up into small paragraphs, or just keep the information small all together. Those ( in my personal opinion ) who use flowery words all the time also put me off because we don't need to know how detailed a mountain is, or a simple tree... or even how many tones of red their is during a celestrial moon phase. Just say red.

I understand why they do it, though, to be as immersive as possible.

FeistyDeadlySins
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Streamwatcher Friendly Beginnings Completionist Visual Appeal Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!