Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama)

a topic in Roleplayers Wanted, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Looking For Players [LFP]? Have a part to be played? Post a thread here!

Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FathersDislikeMe on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:12 pm

”Oh, who’s that writin’?
John the Revelator.
Who’s that writin’?
John the Revelator.
Who’s that writin’?
John the Revelator.
Wrote the Book of the Seven Seals.”

”In this part of Montana, the world was supposed to end, but it didn’t. No geological upheaval, no great plagues – not even much violence. The world was supposed to end, but the Powers That Be can’t seem to get their shit together. So we just sit here, waiting for everything to progress.

At least there’s stuff to do.”

Here, at the End of the World is a dramatic supernatural mystery that takes place in the fictional city of Fairbrooks, Montana. The characters are people with supernatural natures that afford them abilities beyond what a human would have.

The characters will all find themselves (whether by coincidence or magical serendipity is yet to be seen) in a similar housing situation surrounded by others of their kind. Fairbooks is warm, quiet, and not particularly dangerous. Idyllic charms can only hide dire mysteries for so long, however, before debts acquired from an ancient deal rear their head.

The Beginning

While they settle in to their new home, the characters will be drawn into a mystery involving a string of uncharacteristic wild animal attacks that are happening on the outskirts of the city. A spike in violent crime in an otherwise peaceful city begins to worry the locals. As if this wasn’t enough, the city is also divided over the demolition of a condemned church, with protesters claiming it meets the requirements to become a protected historical landmark, and others finding it a structurally dangerous eyesore that serves only as a hideout for drug dealers and the homeless.

And then there's the “Black Hound,” a strange phantom locals have claimed to see prowling the alleys at night. Could it be related?

Themes

I’ m aiming for a double-themed game here: one theme is supernatural mystery where fragile optimism hides a smattering of horror (think Mothman Prophecies rather than Nightmare on Elm Street), and the second is emotional and realistic interactions between PCs and NPCs.

I very much enjoy character/character interaction. I want to create a setting where players can explore their semi-fantastical characters dealing with modern human problems. As they deal with the blessings and banes of their non-natural existence, they must also deal with the very natural challenges of life: building relationships, finding friends, realizing goals, and creating a comfortable little niche in a world that doesn’t believe they exist.

Given their nature, the strange mysteries surrounding Fairbrooks will inevitably find them. How they deal with it, however, is completely up to the players. Direct, “dungeon crawl” action is not only unnecessary, but rarely encouraged. Subtlety is the key, and sometimes influencing a community to fight for itself may be a better option than doing the fighting for them.

Romance meets Mystery; Drama meets Horror; Slice of Life meets Supernatural Sleuthing.

Disclaimers

1.) LGBTQ friendly. This should go without saying, but apparently I have to say it.
2.) Low Fantasy: You can create any kind of character you want – hell, make your own mythology! No need to box yourself in – but I’m going for “subtle supernatural” rather than “epic fantasy” levels. So sorry, but no dragons, minotaurs, or eldritch horrors. :(
3.) Characters will be expected to have a number of defined skills and abilities, and to stay within those skills and abilities.
4.) If you want to get a character going, give me a little blurb on them. Name, age, gender, description, and what their supernatural natures or abilities are. Short and sweet. Got questions about whether or not your character would fit? Just ask.

[NOTE: Apparently I can't post URLs. You will have to find the setting via searching Universes. It is titled "Here, At the End of the World".]
"I put on my robe and wizard hat." - Bloodninja

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FathersDislikeMe
Member for 4 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Lifegiver Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration

Re: Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery dram

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CaptainGrue on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:27 am

I sus'd the universe and I'm totally interested. You'll probs get a message me at some point wanting to flesh out my character idea.

:D laters

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CaptainGrue
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Streamwatcher Person of Interest Promethean World Builder Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Builder Greeter Arc Warden Concierge

Got your PM. Loved the idea. Brought a smile to my face. Lol.

FathersDislikeMe
Member for 4 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Lifegiver Tipworthy Conversationalist Author Inspiration

I will be leaving this thread open for any who wish to trickle in, as I can accept up to eight players. Those deciding to join need not start from the beginning, as the central plot (which I am quite proud of, and which is quite malevolent) happens mostly in between episodic scenes.

The cast so far:

Matisse: Liquid, aloof, incredibly intense, and a little nuts. The quintessential domestic feline.

Larry Wesker: A tall, thin man married to the silver ornament on his necklace.

Ingrid: A guarded young woman with headphones or earbuds constantly affixed to her ears.

FathersDislikeMe
Member for 4 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FullArmorNavy on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Love the idea. I sent you a WIP CS and will have more for you soon. Let me know what you think.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Love all, trust few, wrong none -William Shakespeare

FullArmorNavy
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:18 pm

This looks fun.. I'll have to get together a sheet to send you if it's not too late!

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!