Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Polytheism

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Polytheism

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Is polytheism so stupid? Every time you don't understand something, you personify the mystery. So like, I don't understand where the universe comes from, so there's a God of Creation. I don't get logic, so there's a God of Logic. I don't understand thunder, so there's a God of Thunder. I don't vibe with real science, so there's a God of Science, and working under him are Gods of Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and so forth. Everything is full of Gods! They all have complex personalities and relationships to one another and also to humanity. All that's missing is a book to pretend that it all makes sense.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Polytheism

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 am

Very interesting question and one Joe Rogan touches on fairly often, I think the book he references is called "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A study of the nature and origins of Christianity within the fertility cults of the Ancients Near East." It basically describes how Polytheism in these cults eventually led to Christianity. It was laughed off when first released, but now that we actually understand Sumerian better, he was fairly on the mark. A 40th anni edition was released about 12 years ago with an addendum by one of the professors at Boston U

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 pm

I find it hard to reason with the idea of "multiple Gods" when it is so clear that our Universe is governed by a singular set of rules, with no inconsistency in their enforcement. There is either one God or no God, and even a cursory definition would imply the absolution of a single God (one, consistent set of physics).
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Actually, Rem, if we are speaking about physics; you can you look up “The problem with time.” Our universe really ISNT governed by a singular set of rules. In case you are unable to look it up, basically, time is relative under our understanding of Relativity. However, Quantum theory states time is absolute, and therefore, not relative. I can postulate further on the topic, but that seems unnecessary unless anyone has additional questions?

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Gods could act like a biological community. Each god fits into its own niche, and doesn’t overstep its boundaries.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sigurd_Hring on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm

I'm a Norse pagan. Norse paganism is polytheistic. There are many gods and goddesses, perhaps over a hundred if you include lesser spirits and deities. I've been a Norse pagan for a very long time and it's perhaps because of my perspective or understanding that makes Norse paganism the right "way" for me. I guess it depends on your point of view really.

Because it is a very old conglomeration of folkish beliefs and stories that have been handed down from generation to generation until being collected and put into writing, there is no such thing as the pagan canon. Nothing is fixed, which is the idea. No two pagans have the same exact beliefs. This applies to any two Norse pagans as well. There is a lot of independence and freedom to believe whatever you want to believe. This generally works good because pagans don't go around preaching and talking about their gods as much as the monotheistic religions tend to do. Instead, pagans have a more personal relationship with their gods, and often keep quiet about it except during public feasts or holidays, wherever you might find a pagan community.

Polytheism itself tends to imply that a pagan must believe in something greater than themselves. But this isn't necessarily the case. You will rarely ever find a Norse pagan arguing with an atheist. That's because they have more in common than one might expect. The gods themselves are sometimes viewed, not as gods at all, but as natural forces of the universe. It is not uncommon for pagans to worship their own possessions, or even their own appearances rather than a multitude of high ruling deities. In this light, their polytheism involves gods which represent some aspect of their own spirits or souls, or perhaps the spirit of a sword, or a necklace, rather than some higher god in the heavens.

Polytheism tends to be more mundane and down to earth than monotheism. Pagans don't look up and reach for the heavens, but instead look down and worship the very Earth or ground that they are walking on. Earth is the final destination, rather than some invisible kingdom in the clouds. Pagans worship very "real", very tangible gods. By that I mean that they are not dead, but living gods which are physical and can be seen with the naked eye. One good example of a Norse pagan god is Thor, the storm god, who is the son of the earth. Thor's name means "Thunder" and he is literally the thunder god. When you see a thunderstorm, you are literally looking at Thor on his flying chariot, and when you hear thunder you are literally hearing the god Thor himself. So polytheistic belief systems tend to have more personal, tangibly physical or observable gods which act as representations rather than actual literal personifications like many people think. Rather than having some all-knowing, all-powerful, all-encompassing God, none of which seeming very realistic, polytheistic deities tend to be more human-like with feelings and emotions, who make mistakes just like human beings, and who aren't necessarily immortal, but who can die, just like any living thing.

This actually makes more sense according to the physics of our visible universe. To me at least. I see no strict adherence to order in the universe. In fact, I see the opposite. I see total chaos, where not everything is working together as it should be. I see no evidence at all of a supreme God maker or creator. So to me polytheism makes more sense. But that's just me.

Sigurd_Hring
Member for 4 years
Lifegiver Visual Appeal Author Person of Interest Tipworthy Group Theory Cult Leader Hordemaster Friendly Beginnings Property Buyer Giver Conversationalist Greeter Promethean World Builder Inspiration

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!