Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW!

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW!

Tips: 2.00 INK Postby mombie on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:23 pm

I'm just really sick of the bias against people that have chosen to do 1x1 or small group RP (NON-MULTIVERSE) I am tired of being labeled as 'unwelcoming' or 'elitist' or whatever else. I'm sick of a small group of people being blamed for a problem that is beyond our control. The truth is this:

--People that are now doing 1x1 have created MANY RPs in the past open to everyone.
--People doing 1x1 are some of the nicest people I know.
--We are not forming "cliques" or 1x1 because we don't want to be inclusive, we just want to FUCKING ROLEPLAY with people that won't abandon us

What resulted in this unfortunate circumstance?
--New writers coming in and creating roleplays only to not start them or abandon them after one post
--New writers joining roleplays and abandoning their characters to the point where there are no characters left
--Old writers that are notorious for abandoning RPs still doing the same shit - abandoning every RP they join

What goes into creating an entire Universe?
--Hours of graphics work
--Hours of plot creation
--Hours of CS creation

What do players put into creating CS/Characters?

--Hours of Character development
--Hours of relationship development
--Searching for the perfect FCs
--Banging our heads over concepts and everything else

What happens when an RP fails to take off because of new players (sometimes old players) not posting or abandoning after one post from a GM perspective?
--Hours of work down the drain
--Disappointment
--Faltering trust

What happens to players that join RPs that never start or are abandoned by a New GM after one post?

--Hours of hard work lost
--Disappointment
--Faltering trust?

What's the common denominator in why there are so many 1x1 and small group 'cliques'? New writers. The revolving door of RPG. I'm sick of this community marginalizing and placing blame on us, of whom are some of the MOST active roleplayers on this site. Of whom have created tons of content only to have our trust in people broken time and time again. The problem is not US.

These are the reasons there are these things:

--RPG is a revolving door where new writers dump their creativity and abandon us
--Staff doesn't respond to things
--Staff has some passive-aggressive undertones in chat that is unwelcoming
--Staff passively-aggressively responds to help/pleas from their members
--New and old players that have a fleeting five-minute interest, creating CS they never intend to use anyway
--RPG has issues like poor nighttime/early morning performance (that is a really big issue for some people)
--Forum RP is a dying venue, and none of the above helps with anything.
--Staff refuses to look internally for problems and consistently blames non-Multiverse writers for things
--If we didn't have PartiallyStars, we'd have no advocate for Non-Multiverse players.

Go blame someone else for RPG issues because it isn't us, your LOYAL and ACTIVE RPG members that are nearly posting EVERY DAY or WEEKLY! We might be doing 1x1 or forming so-called 'cliques', but NOTHING that you are doing is helping, either.

Sure, my post is aggressive, but you know what? I don't care because I think I speak for a lot of us.

Sepokku wrote:Yeah its truly unfortunate but Lonesome said it best when she said

"So, when new people join the site there is no longer a community of active RPers making group RPs for the masses waiting with welcoming arms, there's just the clique at the top in their own little world and then all the small groups of veteran players RPing in 1x1's/discord/whispers or failing to ever start a group RP after posting it.
New players try to start group RPs, but no one in the clique joins because again - they're in their own world only talking to each other, and those splintered off really aren't paying any attention to the few group RPs that pop up. So the new players leave pretty quickly and write the site off as dead...."

How about taking some FUCKING TIME TO SPEAK TO US and get to know WHY we have gone this route rather than blindly placing blame on us? Maybe look at all we have ATTEMPTED TO DO before saying we don't do anything at all to contribute. Stop deflecting blame and place it where it should be placed.
Last edited by lostamongtrees on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: breaks staff confidentiality

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Re: STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Joseph_Bennett on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:30 pm

I had some trouble at first, but some people just need to understand that not everyone has infinite amounts of time on their hands. Getting to interact with bigger players, such as Fife or Ylanne or any of them can be difficult or slow, because they have lives too. People just want to have a quick first impression of the site, but it doesn't work that way, unfortunately. When I first joined and wrote my first forum post, my introduction, I wrote off the site as inactive when I didn't get a response in less than an hour. I came back two days later and saw that there where a couple responses. Patience has become a big part of my thinking when it comes to RPG. It's something you have to learn.
Yours Truly,
Joseph Bennett

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert, Dune.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Joseph_Bennett
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 4 years
Lifegiver Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Property Buyer Promethean World Builder Tipworthy Author Conversationalist Group Theory Arc Warden Storyteller Historian Person of Interest Builder Salesman Giver Greeter Inspiration Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:26 pm

Okay but like i already said. No one is directly blaming you and youre literally admitting im right. Sure, some of us are jaded people who thinks forum rp is dying out, but that doesn’t make what i said false. It just explains why ya’ll feel that way...

Anyways this is the debate forum so i’m sure there are merits to never trusting people who are new to this site but doesn’t it also damage the site? I can’t understand why you would be pro-RPG and still knowingly want to damage the site... Personally i’ve just started explaining to new players that i cant be bothered to flesh out a whole ass CS for am RP that may never start. They always understand and if the RP finishes; well... good for us. If it doesnt? No harm no foul
Last edited by Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby mombie on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Your entire quote directly blames us, and I am pretty damn sure I am not the only one that read it that way. I'm not going to argue with you because your quote tells us everything we need to know about who you blame. There is no other way to paint it, and you clearly don't seem to be able to comprehend what you wrote - or you used a very poor choice of wording and you don't understand how what you wrote is perceived to others.

I have proven nothing of which you said was right, but go ahead and keep believing that I validated everything you believe you said.

Regardless, as it stands, I have seen the bullshit blaming of non-multiverse roleplayers for the collapse of RPG in chat and in staff (as I was once part of the staff). It has to stop. It has to stop because we are very loyal to RPG, and if we keep getting shit on, we are going to leave. RPG is already inactive enough as it is, but as we have to sit here and hear about how everyone hates 1x1s and the non-multiverse, and all this stupid bullshit that gets tossed around - why would we bother sticking around? Just to get shat on?

All I am saying is that I wish RPG would take responsibility for the system that allows new players to come in and vomit their creativity all over the place only to leave after we put hours of work into building CS and relationships. Staff is just as responsible, if not MORESO, than the rest of us for RPGs failures.

I made my point, and whether or not you agree with it - there are a number of people who are sick of it, too. There are a number of people that feel the way I do, too. Stop making excuses about what you wrote and face the reality that you blamed us by your wording, and don't try to sit there on your high horse like you were right and I admitted to it.

I admit to nothing other than RPG is failing and I don't want to play with new people anymore.

We weren't doing 1x1s/private/or small group RP until all of the other attempts to join bigger RPs failed. The way you worded everything was dismissive, painted us as villains in the community just sitting around in our own cliques not giving two shits about other Universes popping up. FALSE FALSE FALSE! You made a bunch of ignorant assumptions about a group of people you don't know, and you still can't seem to see it. You just can't grasp it.

1x1/private/cliques are not a result and DO NOT RESULT, in us ignoring other Universes. It's a product of failures of GIVING TOO MUCH ATTENTION AND TIME TO RPs (AND NEW PLAYERS) THAT NEVER TOOK OFF! How fucking hard is that for some of you to grasp?

Jesus. Just stop the bullcrap and stop gaslighting us. It's infuriating. Go ahead - read what you wrote and tell me that it doesn't sound condescending. It's not the fault of veteran RPers. It's the fault of the barrage of new players and their five-minute attention span. If you still can't grasp that, then I suggest looking through a lot of the Universes and seeing all the new RPers that started/abandoned us.

RPG has a revolving door, and we are totally done with putting effort into the people that go through it.

Sorry, but that's just the truth.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Well “my” original quote wasnt even mine because i was quoting another user, but go off i guess about how you do exactly what the quote said. In your own words, you refuse to RP with new players because jaded. So again... the quote said “There is no longer a community of active RPers making group RP for the masses. And the quote is right. Because in YOUR own words “we have formed small groups and RP with people we trust. Thats just the outcome of being jaded...”
Last edited by Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby mombie on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:52 pm

You posted it, thus you believed it. Lonesome might have posted it, but you reinforced the idea. So yeah, I'm gonna go off on what you posted. "LIKE LONESOME SAID" is pretty much a pretense to agreeing with another person's point.

I know English is my second language, but I mean... even I know that.

So, you do you and deny all you want, dude. You also posted it without making any real points of your own.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:55 pm

I mean, yeah. Because i do agree with it. You obviously do to, as you have said as much and even provided evidence for it. I also dont really have to make any points of my own... the quote said enough and again, you provided plenty of evidence as to how/why its true.

If this was a point/ counterpoint discussion i would have to give counterpoints. As you have already given many points to support the original claim. And i have no counterpoints. The original claim was solid ^_^

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:00 pm

Yeah, sure, if that's what you want to tell you something as you condescended an entire group of people despite what you believe you quoted. You proved my point, actually.

Oh, well. I have RP in my 1x1 with my one excellent RP partner that I trust and have fun with to catch up on.

Have a BLESSED day.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:02 pm

You as well ^_^

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby barney_fife on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:25 pm

I am monitoring this thread, please keep the discussion constructive and NOT condescending to other users.

Thanks.
Nip it in the bud.

barney_fife
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Maiden Voyager Group Theory Property Buyer Person of Interest Cult Leader Hordemaster Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Beta Tester Storyteller Greeter Builder Giver

Tips: 1.25 INK Postby partially-stars on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:42 pm

As the resident non-multiverse advocate on the Staff team and the person who’s been singlehandedly running Universe of the Week/Month for like six months now, I just wanted to give my two cents.

The problem is not cliques, private universes, or 1x1s. There are so many fantastic universes out there that just don’t get the attention they deserve and that is incredibly disappointing. But as mombie said, there’s a real issue with people not sticking around. I’ve been actively trying to figure out how we can encourage retention and get people to stick around, but we also have to acknowledge that this site isn’t the most accessible to newcomers and that is what we need to focus on and improve. Our ambassador team and other staff members are stretched thin, and we can only do so much.

95% of GMs I know really love their group RPs, and the only reason they don’t start is because they don’t get the members or people join them just disappear. We form “cliques” because they’re groups of people we know we work well with and that won’t bail on us. We stick with what we know because it’s the safest way of ensuring that our energy and our passion isn’t wasted.

For what it’s worth, I think that folks that stick to the multiverse could also do with branching out into the non-multiverse end of things to promote integration on the site.
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.25 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby mombie on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:47 pm

I agree with that. I find it hypocritical to have seen the push for non-MV to join the MV, but it's never the other way around. That furthers my point that the MV Staff looks down on the rest of us and only cares about themselves and their MV. Which makes it ironic that they can post about how we are contributing to RPG's decline when they refuse to practice what they preach.

Also, I don't mind being monitored. If I was afraid of the RPG staff and what they think of me, or that I might be banned one day, I wouldn't post my thoughts.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 pm

mombie wrote:These are the reasons there are these things:
--RPG is a revolving door where new writers dump their creativity and abandon us
--Staff doesn't respond to things
--Staff has some passive-aggressive undertones in chat that is unwelcoming
--Staff passively-aggressively responds to help/pleas from their members
--New and old players that have a fleeting five-minute interest, creating CS they never intend to use anyway
--RPG has issues like poor nighttime/early morning performance (that is a really big issue for some people)
--Forum RP is a dying venue, and none of the above helps with anything.
--Staff refuses to look internally for problems and consistently blames non-Multiverse writers for things
--If we didn't have PartiallyStars, we'd have no advocate for Non-Multiverse players.

Hi Mombie,
I can see that you still have concerns about the site. I want to try to at least address some of the issues you've raised from my point of view, or at least take time offer my thoughts for whatever they're worth.

1. "RPG is a revolving door where new writers dump their creativity and abandon us"
    Yes we have a lot of people join and then leave, or just lurk for a time. But also a lot of other sites like ours have the same issue, it's not relegated to just RPG alone. If you want to see activity, drive activity. It's okay to reach out to people and say "hey there! how goes it? I see you're new and I was wondering would you be interested in __?"
    -
  2. "Staff doesn't respond to things"
    Could you please point out which things these are or where they are? I check RPG on my lunch period and lurk most evenings while doing other things like Netflix etc. I very well might have missed something.
    -
  3. "Staff passively-aggressively responds to help/pleas from their members"
    I'm not sure which things are these? Could you please link specific threads and give instances? I've always been reachable via several methods that aren't just RPG, and am always happy to kick something up the chain or grab someone who can help you.
    -
  4. "New and old players that have a fleeting five-minute interest, creating CS they never intend to use anyway"
    As much as we would like to, we can't control what other players have going on in their lives outside RPG or make them stick around on our RP. Also if you're running into this, maybe reach out and ask for feedback from this players. There might be something you (or anyone) can learn from to make even better RPs. I've done it, and it's made me a better player for it.
    -
  5. RPG has issues like poor nighttime/early morning performance (that is a really big issue for some people)
    This is a technical issue that is wholly dependent on things outside of our control as far as I know. You're welcome to send Remeaus a PM about it, since he takes care of a lot of the technical stuff on RPG. But I do want to point out that since the pandemic began, the internet has had an increase in traffic that normally wouldn't have been a thing with in person etc. The number of zoom calls, webinars, and virtual presentations since late 2019 has sky rocketed.
    -
  6. "Forum RP is a dying venue, and none of the above helps with anything."
    I don't think it is, because a lot of people I know still do a combination of forums/docs/messages on platforms like Reddit. If you have suggestions to revive what you see as dying forum RP, then offer them, please.
    -
  7. Staff refuses to look internally for problems and consistently blames non-Multiverse writers for things
    No. We don't. We have been round and round on this issue. All RPs on this site are valid forms of expression and writing, as long as they're not violating any rules. Where a player/writer decides to participate is up to them. You were invited to participate in the multiverse many times, and each time you declined we said, "Okay, sure. I totally understand, it's not for everyone!"
    -
  8. If we didn't have PartiallyStars, we'd have no advocate for Non-Multiverse players."
    We really appreciate PartiallyStars and how hard they work. They even started a "universe of the week" initative. But in the last year, it hasn't been Non-Multiverse players vs Multiverse players. That isn't what's going on at all. Every new person gets pointed to the Multiverse as well as players looking, not to mention Universes. It's their decision where they decided to put a character.
-

I understand that there is a lot of frustration, I really do. This last year was really hard on everyone, RPG and its members included. But there's only so much a small group of staff with jobs, lives, and other concerns outside RPG can do. We try, but sometimes we fail.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!