Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Aphantasia

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Aphantasia

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:59 pm

I just heard about something called aphantasia, and I realized that I have it. It’s the lack of a mind’s eye: I don’t see anything when I try to imagine anything. No visuals whatsoever. It probably explains why I don’t read fiction that often, and why I prefer non-fiction and philosophy.

https://youtu.be/ewsGmhAjjjI

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Aphantasia

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby phosphene on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:32 pm

i have this, as well, though i love reading fiction still. after doing some research on it, i’m beginning to wonder if the brain damage i suffered as a child might be what brought it on rather than it just being a natural thing but, ultimately, i don’t think it matters that much.

it is very interesting, though!
Things are only impossible until they're not.
tumblr | Pinterest

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

phosphene
Member for 5 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge Giver World Builder

Re: Aphantasia

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 am

Hmmm, interesting. I've read on this topic before and it was presented entirely differently, thus producing very different results. I've come to determine that maybe we have an "inner mind's eye" and an "eye's mind's eye" , the first subconscious and imagination driven, the second imagination and hallucination via optic nerve activation.

First, imagining the apple according to the video dealing_with_it provided. This is very much the "inner minds eye":
  • I find that the images are wildly vivid, but depending on what i'm envisioning they aren't easily able to be controlled. This exercise was difficult and one i've done before, but in a different sense. As the narrator flipped through different scenarios, they instantly manifested in my mind's eye.

For example, an apple appears iconographically for an instant and then disappears to be replaced by further imagery as my thought progresses. I can focus on holding the image of an apple, but there's something liminal about it. The surroundings and the light, it's genus, ever so slightly shift as my mind decides what scene we are placing the apple in. The scene can and will change as rapidly as it was able to be grasped firm, based again on whatever synapse fires off next up there in the noggin.
  • This would explain my passion for reading, considering the imagery in my imagination is so easily influenced at the same time as being vivid. Might be interesting to note I also lucid dream & can remember them in detail when able to remember them

These results are entirely different from the last time I came across an aphantasia test.

The last time I came across this apple-in-the-minds-eye thing, which I didn't know the name of at the time, I was asked to picture just the apple and seemingly use my actual optical nerves and senses to manifest the apple (according to the directions it seems) on the back of my eyelids. The directions didn't go into detail about the apple, or give any prompts in regards to where the apple should be, what it should be doing, it's color, whether or not it had a stem. This information was prompted to be recalled after the exercise. The exercise was presented in text reading format, instead of video, as well.

In complete contrast to my "inner brain mind's eye", it seems I was using a different type of mind's eye. My "eye's mind's eye".

My "eye's mind's eye" wasn't able to produce results with nearly as much ease.

For the longest time the apple sat as a solid gray-ish blur on a black background, purpling and fuzzing as if I was pushing my thumbs into my eyes. Without warning the apple popped into full 3-D vivid-ness and, I will admit I was kind of surprised that suddenly there was a literal apple hanging out between my eyelids and my eyes. It was wild.
...Then I lost control of what I was seeing. It morphed into a screaming face. I opened my eyes pretty quick. This is why my theory is that it plays with your optic nerves to do it this way and forces a hallucination in the same way a mirage would.

Great thread :)
tag me in the chat!

Become a Cartographer
Chart the stars of
The Multiverse with us!

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes
to become a Hunter?

"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth.
They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

- Robert Jordan

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!